• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China is spending $361 billion dollars into renewable energy projects by 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean the most optimistic of projections put China at 2050, correct me if wrong.

China is projected to overtake the US economy in literally a couple years.

Current projections put China overtaking the US right around 2020 give or take a year.

Current projections put India overtaking the US by 2050.

Dali

Sadly, hot air doesn't save the world.

In the 8 years of Obama the USA didn't fundamentally change how it is exploiting the earth.
Ok, so willfully ignorant. Gotcha.

Edit: to add something more than a jab at your ignorance, I work for an energy company and epa regulations under Obama's administration had forced them to make decisions on whether to bring existing coal powered plants up to code or pursue other options. That's ignoring the Paris climate agreement Trump has pledged to back out of and his car emissions initiative.

Was just about to say. I have no faith in the American public in 4 years.

I lost my faith in the American public during the 8 years of Obama, a huge chunk of them treated him like crap. This election made sure to not think of the American public in any good light ever again.

Mistake

Gold Member
The US is going to fall behind harder than most realize. These investments not only bring engineers and technology, but also a solid foundation for the economy to go in new directions.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Why shouldn't China care about climate change. Please provide some arguments which aren't based on stereotypes and racism.

Because, when it comes down it, almost every country doesn't give a damn. They're just kicking the can down the road for future generations.

Also you must be having a hell of a day if you're reading racism into my comment.

Dali

You sure showed me.

My edit took too long so here you go:

I work for an energy company and epa regulations under Obama's administration had forced them to make decisions on whether to bring existing coal powered plants up to code or pursue other options. That's ignoring the Paris climate agreement Trump has pledged to back out of and his car emissions initiative.

In the 8 years of Obama the USA didn't fundamentally change how it is exploiting the earth.

I think Obama did take a lot of actions to deal with climate change

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-record/climate

http://www.businessinsider.com/ever...ected-2016-12/#bears-ears-national-monument-1

On December 28, President Barack Obama created two new national monuments in Utah and Nevada, furthering the administration's environmental legacy before President-elect Donald Trump takes office.

The new monuments, Bears Ears and Gold Butte, cover over 1.5 million acres of land, which brings the total land Obama has protected during his presidency to more than 550 million acres — more than double the amount that the well-known conservationist Theodore Roosevelt did.

Details the list of some of executive orders to deal with climate change.
http://www.globalchange.gov/browse/federal-adaptation-resources/executive-orders-and-policies

Another source https://www.c2es.org/federal/obama-climate-plan-resources

He expanded a protected reef:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ecb632-6aec-11e6-99bf-f0cf3a6449a6_story.html

President Obama on Friday created the largest ecologically protected area on the planet when he expanded a national marine monument in his native Hawaii to encompass more than half a million square miles.

The president more than quadrupled the size of the Papahanaumokuakea (pronounced ”Papa-ha-now-moh-koo-ah-kay-ah") Marine National Monument to 582,578 square miles of land and sea in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands.

President George W. Bush established the monument a decade ago, but Obama's action Friday underscores the high priority he has placed on issues of conservation and climate change in his second term. The president has now used his executive authority under the 1906 Antiquities Act to protect more than 548 million acres of federal land and water, more than double the set-asides of any of his predecessors.

He tried to protect monarchy butterflies:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Environmen...-highway-paves-way-to-save-embattled-monarchs
The Obama administration is hatching a plan to establish a 1,500-mile butterfly corridor along US Interstate 35 connecting Minnesota and Texas to protect the monarch butterfly.

The majestic North American monarch is well known for both its trademark orange and black stripes as well as its epic annual migration from Canada to Mexico. The number of monarchs reaching the wintering grounds in southern Mexico has declined by 90 percent in the past 20 years. The losses have been so pronounced that the US Fish and Wildlife Service is considering listing the iconic butterfly as an endangered species.

And he worked with Mexico and Canada to enact an Climate Action Plan.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-pres...ean-energy-and-environment-partnership-action

He was pretty much handy capped by Republicans from doing much more, but I think Obama certainly did have an impact on trying to deal with climate change. He also banned the use of drilling in certain parts of the Atlantic and the Arctic, and he also signed the Paris Agreement.

Because, when it comes down it, almost every country doesn't give a damn. They're just kicking the can down the road for future generations.

Also you must be having a hell of a day if you're reading racism into my comment.

Actually it's only the US, most other major countries all agree that something needs to be done about climate change, even the US' puppet master thinks so.

Concept17

Anyone else listen to free Spotify? I'm always getting these fucking Exxon ads where they're talking about their "scientists" helping them make cleaner, more reliable fuel.

Fucking rage everytime I hear it. Like we're supposed to think, "oh scientists are helping you? you're great!".

What a long post to say nothing.

And it's also bullshit that countries don't care for the pratical effects of climate change.

I think Obama did take a lot of actions to deal with climate change

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-record/climate

http://www.businessinsider.com/ever...ected-2016-12/#bears-ears-national-monument-1

Details the list of some of executive orders to deal with climate change.
http://www.globalchange.gov/browse/federal-adaptation-resources/executive-orders-and-policies

He was pretty much handy capped by Republicans from doing much more, but I think Obama certainly did have an impact on trying to deal with climate change.

It doesn't matter if Obama was handicapped or not. The USA is still far away from at least being on the same level as European countries in enviroment related things. It's a fucking joke at this point.

Zushin

Really great news. Hope Australia pulls it's finger out and focuses on climate change soon. I'm not getting my hopes up though :(

What a long post to say nothing.

And it's also bullshit that countries don't care for the pratical effects of climate change.

It doesn't matter if Obama was handicapped or not. The USA is still far away from at least being on the same level as European countries in enviroment related things. It's a fucking joke at this point.

The US is probably far away from doing as much Europe, but it is also bullshit on what you said about it being hot air of the Obama administration's initiatives of dealing with climate change and it being bullshit about not fundamentally changing how the US exploits the Earth as I quite clear proved evidence on the contrary. Obama clear did as much as he can to protect the Earth with Republican opposition - probably more than any president to date.

Madness

Just wiki metrics like R&D, patents, military spending, economy size, etc.

Even with Trump, no country can ketchup to USA in my lifetime, I fear :/

By 2020, China will be the de facto world economic leader. Of course per capita development will put it behind the US, but just like the US surpassed Great Britain, Germany and France, China will surpass the US. R&D and graduate students are at an explosive pace and military spending doubles every year to where it is now easily 100 to 200 billion. I will say by 2030-2032, China will easily hold more economic sway than the US, and militarily will have reached a point where the US would no longer unilaterally be able to impose their might without repercussions.

The US is a sinking ship, you can shoot as many fireworks as you want, have as many violinists play tunes, but it is going down, the elites are already wearing life preservers on on lifeboats. In a globalized world, the country with the largest workforce, consumer, educated and military populace will inevitably win. There will be a point where just like 350 million Americans matter more than 80 million Germans, 1.4 billion Chinese will matter more than 350 million Americans. Inevitably China itself has already lost the economic growth race to India which has surpassed it for the past year in terms of percentage and with the one child policy hammering China in the coming decades, you will see India start to overtake them around 2050 in terms of current projections. You may think it is a long time away. But people laughed at the thought of China taking away US manufacturing in 1997 and by 2017 has obliterated it. 20 years goes by quick.

As for China, clean renewable energy is a necessity for them and they are seeing that it is the future economic growth market like silicon valley was. Only Trump and oil loving Americans are morons to miss out on the sheer trillions they can make dominating the clean energy market. Look at Tesla and their solar roofs. Electric cars etc.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ugh. It's nice that the rest of the world is moving forward on the future, which should help ease the blow on the luddite policies Trump plans on enacting. Hopefully he doesn't do something too extreme like propose new tariffs.

India is similarly ambitious with their renewable energy projects: https://youtu.be/gM-0lrIxCnE

Thanks for this.

Xe4

Banned
To compare to the US, we invest ~3 Billion a year in renewables, which is quite a bit less than China, even if they don't hit their targets.

The US is going to keep moving along with renewable energy, because it's becoming too cheap not to. However, we had a real good chance to become a world leader in it, and that chance has pretty much gone away.

What exactly is clean coal?

Clean coal is a way to reduce the carbon footprint of coal by using carbon sequestration and storage techniques. However, it is incredibly expensive, and not used in practice. Given the increasing cost of coal, chances are it will never happen. It's mostly used as a talking point in order to both seem like you're in favor of coal and green energy.

This is great for everybody. Solar should go down significantly if the Chinese keep pumping out.

I am about to switch to solar in our 4 places. ROI is 8 years which is amazing considering these things run for 30

Cerity

I'm waiting for the 'it's ok to use coal now that other countries are investing in renewables' argument to pop up tbh.

This is true. Obama fucked up in this regard. He had the banks, companies and the political power in 2008 to do all of this and let the opportunity go to waste. Now the world is at the mercy of Trump T-T

Eh?

I can't remember who, but a super smart guy, probably even the smartest, that's what they're saying you know? He said that China invented global warming.

I'm now beginning to doubt his level of knowledge and intellect :(

SRG01

Wow so they are taxing the crap out of solar?

Well, to put it into perspective: the cost of each individual solar cell is actually incredibly cheap. The expensive part is the design of the actual panel, cost of the inverter, labor/installation and -- of course -- the taxes and import duties involved.

The panel itself can be reduced in cost if it was produced like typical (replaceable) consumer electronics -- that is, race to the bottom for cost, but sacrifice long-term durability. Inverters will solve itself, either with better cooling/transistor design or a company investing long-term into Silicon Carbide.

Taxes and duties will always be an issue... unless the panels were produced domestically.

Neo C.

Thanks for this.
India and China aren't alone in planning mega projects. Abu Dhabi and Dubai go ham as well.

Europe is more modest, but its share of renewables is already not bad, and with every new off-shore wind farm wind energy is going to be cheaper and more efficient at the same time.

Ishan

India and China aren't alone in planning mega projects. Abu Dhabi and Dubai go ham as well.

Europe is more modest, but its share of renewables is already not bad, and with every new off-shore wind farm wind energy is going to be cheaper and more efficient at the same time.
Those guys go off on dream projects their own money lets them do whatever ..

On a related note so why exactly are India and china facing this pollution thing while us and western countries haven't ? Genuine question is it just population density ?

orochi91

On a related note so why exactly are India and china facing this pollution thing while us and western countries haven't ? Genuine question is it just population density ?

It's a by-product of rapid development, as these countries strive to become advanced economies.

Many Western countries went through similar phases of pollution during their early development.

Ishan

You have to be some quite level of naive or stupid if you think one us administration can change that . And my personal opinion of climate change it's real , it's happening die to human intervention and human intervention will stop it too . I'm not too concerned about it long run given we allocate so few of our brightest minds and resources to combat it . For example Florida is going under the sea us allocated 20% of us military budget to fix it . Will probably help . Gets worse world realises fuck up allocates more .

I prefer preemptive measures but that has never been how human govts work and quite frankly I don't see some huge urgency within the widespread scientific community to combat this . By widespread I mean special dedicated scientists with the sole aim to combat this . I'm pretty sure well be fine . Well suffer a bit but well figure it out .

Ishan

It's a by-product of rapid development, as these countries strive to become advanced economies.

Many Western countries went through similar phases of pollution during their early development.
So say late 1920 in us was very polluted ?

The best thing about this is that people will no longer be able to use the fucking "~B-but China!" excuse anymore to get out of doing anything in regards to climate change; As if the fact that somebody pollutes more means they have a golden ticket to do whatever they want

Ishan

The best thing about this is that people will no longer be able to use the "~B-but China!" excuse anymore to get out of doing anything
Dude if the worst predictions of climate change get real no one is going to give two hoots about but chine but trump but russia .... It won't matter. It will in retrospect assuming we come out of it but no one gave two shits about how say ww2 started and who voted hitler in it's fix this now . Then later assign blame .

orochi91

So say late 1920 in us was very polluted ?
Yup, look up "Industrial Revolution Era pollution" in Google images, it's pretty vivid.

Also, vast swaths of deforestation occurred here in NA during that time period as well, where less than 30% of the original old-growth forests are left.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Chinese people started to protest because they are being killed by pollution, the last thing China wants is a billion people revolting - they have o do something to keep things as they are.
Once US people start dying, their children getting lung cancer at the age of ten you'll have reason to care.

Feint331

Renewable energy compliments China's long term goals. It will cut their reliance on oil and the petrodollar and sea lanes and everything that gives America geostrategic leverage over China. They would have done this sooner or later with or without similar US policy, even if it turns out to be massively unprofitable money pit because for them it's not a choice.

RSP

Good. The US has no idea how bad their actions makes them look. It will take decades to rebuild what Trump destroys.

Violater

Guys 4 years from now he will get on Twitter and say "I support green I always have, I'm the biggest supporter of green" and his supporters will believe him. This world is doomed by greed and the stupidity of the masses.

nicanica

Guys 4 years from now he will get on Twitter and say "I support green I always have, I'm the biggest supporter of green" and his supporters will believe him. This world is doomed by greed and the stupidity of the masses.
Said this in 2010
dbd50bfb2a71cd91c5568b8d7a56463e.jpg

Zaru

Not long ago I was thinking "It doesn't matter how much less we in the West pollute the world, China will just pollute the same if not more while they rise" but that seems to be an outdated projection now.
Meanwhile in the USA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom