• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese student charged with murder in Cecilia Zhang case

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

chen_min040722.jpg

zhang_cecilia_1new.jpg

Last Updated Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:46:40 EDT

BRAMPTON, ONT. - A 21-year-old male student from China has been charged with first-degree murder in the case of Cecilia Zhang, the nine-year-old girl who disappeared last October from her parents' Toronto home.
Min Chen

Min Chen was arrested Wednesday morning at his home in the Toronto suburb of Scarborough, said Peel Regional Police Chief Noel Catney. Min has been in Canada on a student visa from Shanghai since 2001.

He faces a charge of first-degree murder and made a brief court appearance Thursday morning at a Brampton courthouse.

One other person was arrested in relation to the case, but isn't facing any charges.

"Yes there's some satisfaction, there's some elation, but without question that is superceded by our sadness and by our loss," Catney said about the arrest and charge.

Police allege Min entered the Zhang home through a rear window in the kitchen around 3:30 a.m., and removed Cecilia from her bedroom. She was then taken through a side door of the house to an unknown location, said Catney.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/07/22/zhang_development040722.html

darscot

Apparantly it was botched kidnap and ransom. Guy gambled away all the money Mommy and Daddy sent him for school but never went and racked up mad debt.

FightyF

Banned
I'm really glad that they got him, because living without knowing how or why must be devestating for the parents.

How was the kidnapping botched? It seemed like at the time no one knew who did it...

This guy reminds me of Wuying Ren from Shen Mue 2, looks like him :p

explodet

I'm happy they caught the alleged murderer (innocent until proven blah blah blah), but I can't help but feel that the guy looks like John Cho (the Harold and Kumar go to White Castle guy).

aoi tsuki

darscot said:
He killed the girl and got no money. I don't even think he got far enough to ask for ransom.
Happened less than a month ago here. Two teens kidnapped a girl for ransom, but somehow ended up raping and killing her, with the help of a third friend. But one of them went to the cops to ask about a reward for the girl, and knew too much about the crime not to be connected to it. Cops arrested all three shortly after that.

I remember watching her profile on America's Most Wanted and was deeply sadden for her parents. I am glad they caught the fool who did this to her.

Stele

Holds a little red book
I thought the Hong Kong celebrity Cecilia Cheung was murdered for a sec, but this kind of news always makes me worldweary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom