• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare |OT| My battle cry brings all the boys to the yard

Qvoth

ctf is fun!
death traps are interesting, haven't happened to me yet, only found those on the snow woods map so far
all veteran helms gone :(
new weapons overall are meh, maybe i'm just not used to them yet, only didn't touch sling since i very rarely go archer

Lately, I've been doing better with the knight and the morning star, anyway. Spamming LMB with Vanguard, at least with the Claymore is a bad way to play even if there aren't any friendlies around. The attack is so sweeping and slow, it's easily parried or dodged and countered. Sweeping attacks only seem like the way to go when there's a crowd of enemies to keep at bay, when they're trying to flank your side or to cancel as a feint. Overhead and especially stabs are generally more effective more often and combo the best.

Shifty76

Really? Must be a lot of bad duelers out there right now. Doing it the old way, Vanguards were the easy marks. You see that tell to know which direction to parry from a mile away, then close distance, kick, 2-3 hit combo, done.

Yeah, as MaA I've yet to lose to a vanguard in a duel.
The one vanguard was something like 7-1 on the scoreboard and I absolutely destroyed him. Maybe the other people in the server were just terrible, but he didn't even really use parry, feint etc.

A good knight or another MaA are the toughest opponents for me.
Knight because it takes 4-5 hits to kill him, vs 1-2 to kill you, so they'll happily trade hits all day. MaA because you never really know what you're up against. Some are amazing, others just bounce around randomly and use up all their stamina so are easy targets.

Cancelling an LMB sweeping attack works well because the enemy expects a big opening to close the distance. Following it up with a stab lands more often than not and than an overhead when their still trying to get their timing back.

Shifty76

Cancelling an LMB sweeping attack works well because the enemy expects a big opening to close the distance. Following it up with a stab lands more often than not and than an overhead when their still trying to get their timing back.

If I ever play vanguard I open with slash feint. It's slow and easily seen so if the other player actually uses block, they'll start their parry I'd say probably 75% of the time. I follow that up with overhead-jab combo, which is enough to kill any class other than knight. At least it was pre-patch, not sure if anything changed since as I haven't played vanguard post-patch other than to try out polehammer.

I should also note that I love it when vanguards do their charge attack, as it's easily dodged, and it leaves them completely vulnerable once they commit to it.

I should also note that I love it when vanguards do their charge attack, as it's easily dodged, and it leaves them completely vulnerable once they commit to it.

It's practically useless and very rarely lands but when I'm charging an archer dodging the incoming arrows and then one hit them with it, it's pretty hilarious. Other than obvious wide openings, your better off not using it.

Also, in all honesty, I probably am a "noob" but I do take special care not to hit allies. I do well enough to have fun. I have my on days where I'm top of the scoreboard and I'll have my off days where I end up dying more than killing.

docbon

The feint is never more valuable than with a Vanguard. That's where they can get scary. So many Vanguards are shit, that I get fooled when one feints or kicks because I don't consider that they'll try either of those moves in the first place. It's even worse when they're paired. Vanguard feints from a distance so I try to either close distance or take advantage of the window and attack; then I'm stuck in a whiff while somebody else murders me.

Word. I roll with the spear, so I'll usually poke once or twice, feint, then use the thrust for a headshot. Most of the time my opponent gets unnerved and reciprocates with a quick sword thrust, so I just rotate around them and counter. If they swing, I do the same thing, but move backward at the same time. In general, I use the range of my weapon to my advantage and try not to parry unless I feel I absolutely need to.

It's a lot tougher to pull off vs. a MoA though. I live, or die, based on my ability to drain them of stamina beforehand. Just one well placed kick + sword combo will fucking own me.

Yesss. A fun thing to do if you're also a vanguard is to catch them in mid-air with a thrust of your own. It cancels their attack and confuses the fuck out of them.

Volotaire

Ok I just played this for the first time today at a friend's house. Wow. This is so much fun.

The combat is deep, engaging and skillful. Having to aim your parry at different angles from different angles shots feels incredibly deep. Although I only played half an hour, it very engrossing, much better than any other medieval action games action system.

Then just onto the general atmosphere of the game. It is so relaxed! When you get into a competitive FPS muti-player game, there are always moans and groans, even from me! Rage-quits and name-calling, its just ugly, PC and console alike. But here when I get killed I don't mind, I feel at ease. I sneak up one someone in a group battle in free for all and kill them all. But oh no, someones snuck up on me from behind and jumps at me . A long battle ensures and I die. But I don't feel angry, I feel like a warrior.

Although I would groans at the use of Unreal 3 here, the maps look beautiful and the mutilations are awesome . The map types are varied, though I hope the modding scene can create some interesting mission types.

Seriously, the combat system shames Skyrim and other Elder Scrolls games making them look archaic.

I can't wait to own this.

Relax.MX

Ok, i download the update and now just dont show the servers, im the only one?

Edit: I restart my PC and works.. The duels are great! Very, very fun

Holiday

Banned
The Q staff is kind of fun. Are the flails good at all? I haven't had time to use them extensively; it's too hard to put away the broadsword.

So now I'm playing as a Vanguard noob after spending most of my time as the Knight. I think I like Vanguard a bit more just due to the speed, but I'm trying to get used to being an easier target.

The shield clipping glitch made me want to play a class that wouldn't be using a shield lol. So frustrating.

Forkball

Wait this game has other classes besides knight?

I unlocked the last knight axe last night and it's pretty great. I still kind of prefer the first axe overall, but the range is just so short.

Shifty76

Switched to knight for a bit because I don't care how good you are at dodging as MaA, you are NOT going to come out on top when 4 knights decide to gank you.

That first hammer is badass. Never really used it that much because, well, maul, but it's 2 shots to kill most things, and 2 headshots also kills knights.
Feint slash, they parry, overhead smash. Works really well.

@Forkball: I couldn't wait to be done with that first axe - it blows. Slow & no range. Second is nice for the added range (jab-OH combo is your friend with it)
Third axe got a speed buff with the latest patch, but I haven't tried it yet.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
That reminded me that I need to reinstall Mumble on my fresh install of Windows.

Looks like a couple people are in the Chivalry room right now. Are you guys pretty active?

There is a group of usually four or five of us that play it pretty often and we don't even hang out in the main Chivalry lobby. So, yeah, we could totally mobilize a nice group of people.

Shifty76

Yeah, as MaA I've yet to lose to a vanguard in a duel.

Heh, jinxed myself.
Ran into a lvl 48 vanguard last night who was freakin insane. I think he went 12-2 or something in the duel server I was in. The 2 losses were me managing to eke out a win against him. Fought him probably 7 times in a row since no one else was accepting challenges or getting matched with either of us.

It was like he was on steroids - zooming all over the place. Made it really difficult to time blocks as the attack angle was always changing. At least in duel mode you get a shield so his feints weren't an issue. Good practice going up against someone like that though.

Guess I should get around to installing mumble & jumping in with you guys. Already have vent & ts so what's one more...

I wish I was more consistently good when I play this. I'll be on the top of the leaderboard, doing great for a couple rounds and then suddenly I can't get a kill to save my life. I tried the dueling mode for the first time and started out well and then it just fell apart.

Man, nothing is better than having a Vanguard charge you as a crossbowman, shooting a bolt into his chest and then pulling out a short sword and running him through before he can even finish his slash.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
dat LTS comeback feel

Visual approximation:

ihH3dWeZAir63.gif

I've been able to avoid team killing for the most part. Although I've swung at people on my team with blue shields (why) twice when I was on red. Had a funny moment when two guys were running towards me side by side and the knight takes a wide early swing and somehow decapitates the guy running next to him.

docbon

Should we get a group event schedule going for the chivalry steam group?

I want to crush your skulls all at once at a specified time and meeting place. B)

Should we get a group event schedule going for the chivalry steam group?

I want to crush your skulls all at once at a specified time and meeting place. B)

I'd be in for that. I definitely enjoy the game more with other people. A mumble chat/group game would be fun :)

Conceptor

I'd be in for that. I definitely enjoy the game more with other people. A mumble chat/group game would be fun :)
For sure. I wonder what the server options for this game are?

Anyway had a first tonight, found a server with a cap on archers (5) - something we'd discussed putting on our own server. And about halfway through the round, the server (or maybe it was a hacker) was knocking everyone down to 1 hp constantly. It was super weird but at least leveling up weapons was easier :D

Let me know if anyone is interested in being a moderator for the Steam group to help update announcements with news, manage members, and schedule events. Preferably people that are actively playing and/or following the game and Chivalry GAF discussion.

About setting up an event, if we can decide on a date and time (and place?) I can get it added to the event schedule.

Conceptor

Let me know if anyone is interested in being a moderator for the Steam group to help update announcements with news, manage members, and schedule events. Preferably people that are actively playing and/or following the game and Chivalry GAF discussion.

About setting up an event, if we can decide on a date and time (and place?) I can get it added to the event schedule.
o/ i volunteer! i usually play a handful of round every night with some regulars in this thread so maybe we can get a nightly or weekly thing going

I think they've totally fucking up the parrying system. There've been NUMEROUS times where someone swings at me, I go to parry and then their sword/pike/whatever passes right through me. I don't take damage, but since I've wasted my parry and am now totally exposed, they get a free combo in. It's bad enough that it's a deal breaker if it continues.

So frustrating.

I think they've totally fucking up the parrying system. There've been NUMEROUS times where someone swings at me, I go to parry and then their sword/pike/whatever passes right through me. I don't take damage, but since I've wasted my parry and am now totally exposed, they get a free combo in. It's bad enough that it's a deal breaker if it continues.

So frustrating.

Happens to me ALL the time. I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet. It's definitely annoying.

Does anyone know what servers have low gravity on them? I've seen a ton of videos of entire teams flying around the map, but there's never enough (Or any) information for me to find them out. Tried searching this thread as well, didn't find anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_3VZDb7pj4

I want in on that shit badly. This game man. This game.

saw some guy go apeshit on a teammate for accidentally attacking him. was hilarious to see them fight each other because we were dominating the other team.

Conceptor

Who's down for some Chivalry tonight? We could totally take over a server :).

That being said, what are your preferred game modes and maps(if you can name it :lol)? Team Obj/LTS/FFA/TDM/CTF/Duel?

So they're removing Trebuchet #3 from Hillside. That's insane. Plus, it only takes 7 hits from the ballistas to sink ships now instead of 10. Can't say that I won't miss Treb #3 though.

R.I.P., we hardly knew ye :'(

Top Bottom