• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare |OT| My battle cry brings all the boys to the yard

My skill in a game has never been more inconsistent than in this one. Sometimes I have rounds where I do AMAZING and then I have a round where I do really bad or average. It's weird :p

Use the Halberd (3'rd Vanguard weapon last row) or the Flamberge (3rd Vanguard weapon first row).

Halberd - Open with thrusts always, if it connects combo with a swing, if it hits and they are not dead, combo into thrust again.

Flamberge - Can open with anything. Usually swings when there's more than one person. Thrust is slow but deceptive, overhead is great for it's damage and range. Don't forget you can jump over people who don't aim high enough when they block while attacking. This allows you to bypass their guard.

These weapons are extremely powerful and will let you easily dominate the scoreboards especially in FFA's.

Sullichin

Are the achievements broken in this game? I unlocked all the vanguard weapons and the achievement popped, but I don't actually have it. Also, I never got any of the leveling achievements
Edit: Oh wait I didn't get all the secondary weapons, nevermind. The achievement still popped up so it confused me

Man, FFA in the arena is so chaotic and awesome

Sullichin

Aw, I was really looking forward to the duel mode. Might try out the beta but I love how active the game is so probably not.. anyone try it?

Sullichin

I don't know if some people are on the beta or what, but servers don't seem nearly as full as they used to be a few days ago

I'm probably going to switch the GAF Steam group to private after this free weekend so get in while you can! Once it's private, you'll have to PM another member for an invite.

You can search for the group in the Steam Community:

Group Name: NeoGAF Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Short Name: GAFCMW
Web URL: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gafcmw

this game

THIS GAME

Tried it last night, fucking hooked. Am I only doing well because other noobs are playing? Not uncommon to go on 3-5 kill rampages with the Vanguard.

Walking backward + spear stab = OP or just a noob-eating move?

Wunder

Uh... So I just watched the TGS 1v1 Round Robin and I kind of bought a 4-pack... Quick question: How does latency affect gameplay? Is it really terrible, because I live in Malaysia and I wouldn't want the game/duels to be unplayable.

Free weekend must be doing wonders for them. Almost 23,000 players online and nearly every single server is full. I can't even get into a decent game.

I guess I'll try later.

abuC

Cool game, but the archers make this game very annoying. Instead of trying to take the objective the majority of my team were just archers hanging back and trying to pick people off.

Nabs

Cool game, but the archers make this game very annoying. Instead of trying to take the objective the majority of my team were just archers hanging back and trying to pick people off.

I blame the free weekend. It's not usually that bad.

I played a 64 player FFA with low gravity. Shit was real.

Conceptor

I'd consider this free weekend a massive success for the team. The Halberd feels all sorts of OP. It's an amazing weapon...

Do you think, sometime down the road, we'll ever see a local replay and/or highlight feature in the game? Just so we could go back and get a couple of amazing in-game moments etc.etc

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'd consider this free weekend a massive success for the team. The Halberd feels all sorts of OP. It's an amazing weapon...

Do you think, sometime down the road, we'll ever see a local replay and/or highlight feature in the game? Just so we could go back and get a couple of amazing in-game moments etc.etc

Jeez, I hope that's planed for sometime in the future. There are already so many moments I would want to share.

Shit. Did anyone buy a four pack? I have a friend who wants this but missed the sale. If you have an extra copy, please let me know!

Shifty76

Halberd is indeed silly easy. Just jab and nothing can get close. Idiot teammates just LMB spam it though & kill more friendlies than enemies.

MaA with broadsword & firepot is my go-to though.

Conceptor

MaA with broadsword & firepot is my go-to though.
I'm admittedly pretty bad with the MaA; after I finish unlocking everything for the Archer I think I'll work on that. Any tips with the class? A good MaA is so annoying/tough to deal with as a Vanguard

Shifty76

I'm admittedly pretty bad with the MaA; after I finish unlocking everything for the Archer I think I'll work on that. Any tips with the class? A good MaA is so annoying/tough to deal with as a Vanguard

MaA is definitely tough to master, especially compared to vanguard or knight, but I find it much more rewarding than those classes. They're easy-mode for when I can't be bothered concentrating and just want to smash stuff :)

Most important thing to remember is that you're squishy. You do NOT want to trade blows with anyone, as even an archer can drop you in two hits. Knights & Vanguards can knock you down in one with certain weapons.

So I guess tip #1 is to learn your spacing and keep your distance. If you don't think your attack will interrupt your opponents attack, cancel it and parry instead. If they're still winding up you will interrupt, if they're in the downswing, you won't.

I cannot stress enough how important the one button dodge binding is. This will be your most used button so stick it to something you can reach easily (I use a thumb mouse button)
Don't forget to enable it in your settings! I think it's disabled by default.
I also set the double-tap dodge slider to minimum as I don't want to accidentally dodge when I don't mean to (dodging off a log bridge to your death is embarrassing)

Backwards dodge will likely be your most used move. If an enemy starts swinging, do your back dodge, watch the attack miss, then do your forward dodge and land a couple of quick hits.

Once you've learned the spacing you can just skip the back dodge and save stamina - just use the forward dodge when you see an opening.
It'll take a few hits to kill heavily armoured enemies, so combos are your best bet for doing that damage quickly. Once they recover from your first attack, duck back out of range and repeat the process.

Feinting also works fantastic, and since your weapons hit so fast it's almost impossible to detect a feint. Stab-feint followed by stab is pretty much a guaranteed hit, but make sure your opponent isn't one of those LMB spamming idiots because there's absolutely no point feinting one of them since they never parry anyway & you'll just catch a side slash to the face.

You really need to adjust your tactics depending what your opponent does.

LMB spammer? Wait for them to miss then duck in and just keep comboing. You'll interrupt every attack and destroy them.

Guy who actually uses block? Use spacing and fake him out with feints.

In a way, MaA is the most frustrating class to play, because you can out-duel someone, then right before you get the kill someone else will take it.
Or you can dart in and out, wounding your enemy, then he lands one lucky blow and you die.

However, like I said, I just love the feeling of winning duels based purely on skill, rather than relying on heavy armour and high damage weapons.

I think my favourite thing to do as MaA is to dodge between several enemies and watch them all LMB slash eachother to death while trying to hit me, then picking off the survivors one by one, spamming the laugh emote every time one of them TK's the other.

Wow, that ended up being pretty long.

TL/DR: MaA squishy, don't get hit.

Shifty76

The Steam group is now private. Any member can invite other users.

Post in here if you need an invite!

Hmm robo...were you that archer I accidentally TK'd as king a couple of times the other night?

I'm usually way more conservative with my attacks, but 3-4 enemies next to eachother when I'm king = side slash to take em all down fast. Friendlies become necessary casualties in that situation :D

New beta patch is fun, flail is kinda OP but Polehammer is the new knight meatgrinder, stab wiff-overhead-stab-underhand is a beastly combo.

Hauk

Neo Member
Holy smack this game is fun. Free weekend convinced me and my 2 friends to buy it asap. Even though the weapons seem so samey, there are those small differences that make some so satisfying to wield, and the weight of the combat lends for some amazing rushes of dopamine from getting those strikes in and finishing escaping/cowering opponents. Chivalry catches that medieval chaos really well, though low respawn timers make you easily throw your life away :p

Nabs

The new beta patch is fucking amazing. I hope they break the Volcano map into 4 different TDM maps, that shit is just too crazy.

edit: Nice timing there.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
We just updated to it yesterday and I just followed a friend through Steam. Are you sure your beta patch is up to date? I know they had a couple different levels of beta and your might not be on the latest revision that has all the content.

Top Bottom