• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity |OT| The official thread of hope, faith and infinite love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I would assume it's easier to do when it's one on one opposed to one or two against a group where it's easier for a majority to dismiss the minority. I don't bother getting upset about those types of threads or debates. I feel like its a waste of time and energy since the most likely outcome is that neither side will change their mind about whatever it is.

I wouldn't worry about it fam, it's typically a numbers game is all. As for debating faith I don't bother, and if someone really wants to talk with me on it then it has to be face-to-face. I have extremely little tolerance when it comes to passive aggressive behavior and Internet tough guys in general and faith related threads seem to bring that behavior out in spades. Keep your head up and don't let strangers get you down.

This may be a bit divisive, but:

“Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you."

This applies to internet debates of such a topic in general, I think. Especially so in a place with the demographics of such a place as this. Open, honest discussions between two people are where actual conversations of substance happen. Not in a thread open to thousands of people who love to take cheap potshots.

That's my opinion, though I admittedly sometimes wonder if it's too elitist.

I like these encouraging responses. It is tough at times, but keep it up man.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think it's probably better if I leave the thread alone and not get caught up in the shenanigans.

Hi fellow brothers in Christ. Had no idea this thread existed. Glad I found it! Do you guys think we are getting closer to the end times? Seems everyone is trying to do away with Christianity and take God out of everything.

Most definitely.

Hi fellow brothers in Christ. Had no idea this thread existed. Glad I found it! Do you guys think we are getting closer to the end times? Seems everyone is trying to do away with Christianity and take God out of everything.

Secularism is becoming more of a reality the more that people co-OP the religion to push oppressive ideals.

I can't keep continually explaining that evangelicals do not represent the religion as a whole, the same way not all Christans are anti-science or are vehemently homophobic.

It gets frustrating. I just avoid those threads altogether.

entremet

No idea. The Bible says no one knows, only the Father, and that it will come like a thief in the night.

It does tell us to live wisely since we never know when it is coming.

Some scholars interpret end times as post Jesus's Ascension as well. So we've been in for 2000 plus years.

Chaplain

Today's blog is on Romans 12 (Living the Christian Life) verse 2-5: The foundation for Christian living #2.

A few samples from the study:

"God is never against the principles of feeling and doing. He is a God of powerful and passionate feeling and He commands us to be doers. Yet feelings and doing are completely insufficient foundations for the Christian life. The first questions cannot be "How do I feel?" or "What do I do?" Rather, they must be "What is true here? What does God's Word say?"" (Guzik)

"I can know God's will for my life as I just surrender my life to Him, as I yield my body to God and as I seek after God, God will reveal His will through my life. My life will become a progressive revelation of the will of God for me. Thus, I presented my life to God, I presented the issues of my life to God, I've committed myself to Him, seeking not to have any strong will of my own or allow some strong desire to master me, just to flow free in God's Spirit, accepting what comes as coming from God, because I've asked God to bring into my life those things that He wants. Accepting those things that pass away as not from God, because I've asked God to take away from my life those things He doesn't want. So I don't sit there and weep over lost opportunities. "Oh, if I'd only done this. Oh, if I only had that." If God wanted me to do it, He would have led me to do it. If He wanted me to have it, I would have had it, you see. So it is that commitment of myself to God, and as I do then God's will becomes a progressive revelation. So I know what God's will is for my life today, and I will know tomorrow what His will is as He reveals it to me as I walk with Him. Sort of exciting to live that way. You never know what a day is going to bring forth as God unfolds His will, His purpose for our lives." (Smith)

Other things discussed...

Why does God's Word call all Christian's to resist conforming to the world?
How can believers resist conforming to the world?
What are two things that are insufficient foundations for believer's lives?
What are the steps to becoming like Jesus Christ?
How can believer's know God's will?
Are believers spiritually mature if they are spiritually gifted?
Paul's warning to live in humility, Is faith a gift from God?
Paul's call for unity and diversity in the body of Christ.

New sermons (right click/save as):

4/26/15 - Re-BIBLE (Psalm 119)
4/26/15 - Genesis 2-3

Chaplain

Open, honest discussions between two people are where actual conversations of substance happen. Not in a thread open to thousands of people who love to take cheap potshots.

I have experienced this myself. The best thing to do is to get to know a person. This is hard to accomplish in a thread with dozens of hostile opinions. It is better to take the conversation out of the thread and discuss things one-on-one.

Fury451

Banned
I have experienced this myself. The best thing to do is to get to know a person. This is hard to accomplish in a thread with dozens of hostile opinions. It is better to take the conversation out of the thread and discuss things one-on-one.

I will second this from experience as we'll. I have a lot of good friends I made who disagree over faith/religion, but we respect each other well, and it allows a better relationship to build those discussions off of. People in person are usually more willing to be engaged in a friendly debate than people online as well.

Chaplain

Today's blog is on Romans 12 (Living the Christian Life) verse 6-8: Spiritual Gifts 101.

A sample from the study:

"This is the only time in Scripture where spiritual gifts are spoken of directly. “Wait a minute,” you say. “What about 1 Corinthians 12 and 14, and Ephesians 4?” Look at those passages, and you will see that the word “gifts” is in italics, meaning it was not present in the original Greek. You see, the gifts listed here in Romans are the motivational gifts, the manifestations of which are listed in 1 Corinthians 12, and the ministries of which are found in Ephesians 4. That is why you will see that the list of gifts here in Romans 12 contains the motivational gift that God, by His grace, has given every believer. As we become open to the Spirit, He adds the manifestations of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12), as well as ministry in the Spirit (Ephesians 4)." (Courson)

How does God give believers spiritual gifts?
Is Romans 12 the only place where spiritual gifts are discussed in the Bible?
An exhortation of how to use the gift of prophecy
An exhortation of how to use the gift of ministry.
An exhortation of how to use the gift of teaching.
What is the difference between teaching and preaching?
An exhortation of how to use the gift of giving.
An exhortation of how to use the gift of leadership.
An exhortation of how to use the gift of mercy.
An easy way to tell which is your spiritual gift.

4/26/15 - My Heart, The Place of God's Rest (Is 66:1-6)
4/26/15 - Isaiah 64-66
4/26/15 - Luke 7:31-50
4/26/15 - 2 Thessalonians 2
4/26/15 - Revelation 7
4/26/15 - The Pagan Church, Thyatira (Revelation 2:18-29)
4/26/15 - The Gifts of Helps, Administration, Leading, & Mercy (Selected Scriptures)

Sometimes I wonder how apologetics feel trying to debate or get their point across when debating secular people. I know I shouldn't get upset, but the almost dismissive attitude towards Christianity that some people hold just makes me sad. I feel like I jumped into a hornet's nest in the thread in OT about the guy losing his faith in God.
I think some self reflection might do good here.

You jumped in with an attitude like "lol you guys are so ridiculous" and "there's nothing to be gained from atheists bringing up their experiences here, you should talk to Christians only". I know, in a later post you elaborated that you didn't mean to say there's nothing to be gained from atheists sharing their experiences but that it was about people shooting down the other side immediately, but I think it would be good to understand that that intention wasn't very visible in your first post.

And honestly, while I do think that gaf unfortunately tends to be a pretty hostile environment towards people of faith, that thread was pretty fine in my opinion (at least until Ami showed up and it became a battleground). There were quite few people actually attacking or completely dismissing religion or faith. There were also already people bringing up the faith side with eloquence and reason your first post could only dream of with its aggressiveness.

I think that when you are heavily invested in something, it's easy to concentrate on the negative things going on and miss the bigger picture. I know it happens to me sometimes, and I've seen it happen to a lot of people. I think that, with all due respect, might be at least partly what happened with you.

I'm genuinely curious, what everything is God being taken out of, in your opinion?

Chaplain

Today's blog is on Romans 12 (Living the Christian Life) verse 9-21: How to live a life that is pleasing to God. This was one of the hardest blog posts I have ever made. I was shown just how far I miss the mark, and that I need Jesus more than ever. Why? Paul nailed me on so many things that I just lack presently. The good that came out of this is that I asked God to do whatever it takes to change my heart and attitude to be more like Jesus. However, it hurt so much just going through this study and seeing how far I am from where God wants me to be.

That being said, here are a few samples from the study:

"A truly good man passionately hates evil because of what evil is not because of what he'll get if he does it. He hates it because it is his holy nature. He hates it because God hates it and he loves God, and there are some people who don't hate evil. They just hate to have to face the consequence, and that's very infantile and very immature and very selfish and not the motive at all that should be in the heart of a believer. A good man hates evil, not because he fears the consequence but because he loves holiness."

"The Bible knows nothing of the idea that we should - and must - carry with us an attitude of confident superiority in every situation, and knows nothing of the idea that this is the foundation for a healthy human personality. As we esteem others better, we will naturally have a concern for their needs and concerns. This sort of outward looking mentality naturally leads to a unity among the people of God. Therefore, if I consider you above me and you consider me above you, then a marvelous thing happens: we have a community where everyone is looked up to, and no one is looked down on."

"Our care and concern will demonstrate itself in practical deeds done for others, either going to them (distributing to the needs of the saints) or inviting them to come to us (given to hospitality). The ancient Greek word for hospitality is literally translated "love for strangers." In addition, "given" is a strong word, sometimes translated "persecute" (as in Romans 12:14). The idea is to "pursue" people you don't know with hospitality. This is love in action, not just feelings."

What does it mean to love someone with hypocrisy?
Why does God want us to hate what is evil?
How do we love others with genuine affection as God's Word commands?
Why does God us to work hard and to avoid laziness?
Three areas that all believers must make an effort to continue growing in.
Why is it a Christian's duty to be given to hospitality?
How does God want us to relate to those outside of the Christian family?
Meeting the needs of others in good and bad times.
How to get along with people both inside and outside the church.
What is the best way to handle feelings of wanting revenge?

A few new apologetic lectures and debates:

Apologetics in the 21st Century | Ravi Zacharias, PhD

Is Science Enough? Troy Van Voorhis and Leo Goldmakher at Williams College

I watched this yesterday. John Lennox was on point defending Jesus: Godless Goodness? John Lennox and Nicholas Christenfeld Discuss the Sources of Beauty and Morality at UC, San Diego, 2015

Science, Self, & God: What Do You Believe In? Cullen Buie at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2015

What is Worthwhile under the Sun - EP1 | Ravi Zacharias, PhD

Are you struggling with greed, lust, or maybe it’s something else. Why does a life focused on pleasure leave you feeling empty, and how can you deal with it? Ravi Zacharias looks at the words of Solomon in the book of Ecclesiastes where he explores the problem of pleasure.

Why Suffering? Finding Meaning in our Difficult World | Ravi Zacharias, PhD

Alister Mcgrath Oxford Cs Lewis Lecture 1

Yesterday, Alister McGrath gave his first C.S. Lewis lecture as Gresham College Professor of Divinity, entitled "C.S. Lewis' discovery of the Christian Faith."

Wynnebeck

Banned
I think some self reflection might do good here.

You jumped in with an attitude like "lol you guys are so ridiculous" and "there's nothing to be gained from atheists bringing up their experiences here, you should talk to Christians only". I know, in a later post you elaborated that you didn't mean to say there's nothing to be gained from atheists sharing their experiences but that it was about people shooting down the other side immediately, but I think it would be good to understand that that intention wasn't very visible in your first post.

And honestly, while I do think that gaf unfortunately tends to be a pretty hostile environment towards people of faith, that thread was pretty fine in my opinion (at least until Ami showed up and it became a battleground). There were quite few people actually attacking or completely dismissing religion or faith. There were also already people bringing up the faith side with eloquence and reason your first post could only dream of with its aggressiveness.

I think that when you are heavily invested in something, it's easy to concentrate on the negative things going on and miss the bigger picture. I know it happens to me sometimes, and I've seen it happen to a lot of people. I think that, with all due respect, might be at least partly what happened with you.

While I completely disagree with your assessment of the situation, I find this bolded part a little unnecessary and frankly rude. I went back and reworded what I stated due to not wanting to sound dismissive of the other side and was met with a deluge of people going, "What's to be gained by going back to what's causing him pain?" and "Christians have not provided any answer for blah blah so it's no use in talking to them. Listen to us!" type responses. While religion is a highly incendiary topic for some people, I felt that OP possibly discussing it with someone who is able to see both sides, but mainly on the side he is coming from, would be more helpful then listening to people who are thrusting secular material in his face and saying everything, but that his faith is a sham. I removed myself from the conversation due to me believing that whatever I would say from that point would be taken out of context and your response is sadly affirming that for me. SO overall, thank you for your response and criticisms, but I'm going to skip on the self reflection. Thanks.

Chaplain

Today's blog is on Romans 13 (A Christian's Obligation to Government) verse 1-4: The Government's purpose and the Christian role.

A sample from the study:

"This is a issue that we sometimes are prone to question: Did God ordain this particular government? The Bible tells us that the powers that exist are ordained by God. It is interesting to me that Nebuchadnezzar challenged that truth. When he was told by Daniel, who was interpreting his dream, that the great image that he saw was the ruling empires that would govern the world, and he said "Thou, O Nebuchadnezzar, are the head of gold, but your kingdom is going to be replaced by an inferior kingdom, the shoulders and the chest of silver. And that will be replaced by yet an inferior kingdom, the stomach of brass and that by a kingdom of iron, the legs." Nebuchadnezzar turned right around and made an image ninety feet high of all gold and demanded that the people worship it, which was open defiance to the declaration that your kingdom is going to replaced by the Medo-Persian Empire. And as a result of this defiance of God by Nebuchadnezzar, because of his pride, the Lord allowed him insanity until seven seasons had passed over him, until he knew that the Most High God ruled in the governments of man and set over them those whom He would. That was the lesson that God was teaching him during that period of insanity, where he went out and lived with the animals in the fields and ate grass with the oxen. The purpose of that was that he might recognize that God rules, and God establishes those on the throne whom He will, and he was only on the throne of Babylon by the divine decree of God. And after his insane period he acknowledged that the God of heaven ruled, and those who exalt themselves, He is able to abase. For he had surly been abased, but he recognized that God is the one who establishes the kingdoms and the thrones of man." (Smith)

"The foundation of the institution of government in Genesis 9 is singularly based upon capital punishment. “That’s the law,” you might protest. “We’re under grace.” Wait a minute. The establishment of government took place before the law was given. In Genesis 9:6, God gave one word concerning the way government is to function. That is, it is to function as a deterrent to evil through the implementation of capital punishment. Although that might sound harsh to you, the fact remains that, after watching mankind live through the evil, debauchery, violence, promiscuity, and wickedness of the days before Noah, God said, “From this time on, I’m going to let mankind share the responsibility to police and govern himself.” (Courson)

An introduction to Romans 13.
What is a believer’s relationship to Government?
What does the Bible say about Christian's and civil disobedience?
Does God use certain governments to judge nations?
Are Christian's ever allowed to disobey Government laws?
Why are Christians good citizens for states or governments?
Is it the government's job to punish and deter evildoers?
What does the New Testament say about capital punishment?
Why did God command capital punishment before the law was ever given?

Some apologetics materials:

Article: Biblical Authority and Cultural Relativism.

Video: The Search for Meaning: Science & God

"Is it really true that science has abolished God?" Os Guinness
"The answer is far deeper... it's a worldview question." Prof. John Lennox
This is a fantastic conversation between Prof. John Lennox at University of Oxford and Os Guinness in conversation on 'The Search for Meaning: Science & God'.

Video: 16. If God, why is there evil?

4/28/15 - Genesis 24 (Men's Study)
4/28/15 - Living the New Life (Colossians 3) (Women's Study)
4/29/15 - Isaiah 8-9:7
4/29/15 - Proverbs 15:27-16:33
4/29/15 - Psalms 105-106

Current events:

Justice Alito: Why Not Let 4 Lawyers Marry One Another?
‘We will not obey’: Christian leaders threaten civil disobedience if Supreme Court legalizes gay marriage

Chaplain

Today's blog is on Romans 13 (A Christian's Obligation to Government) verse 5-14: The Christian's obligation to his or her neighbors .

Samples from the study:

"1 Peter 2:13 says, "Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake." Not just so you can avoid the consequences, but for the Lord's sake. When you think about obeying the law, you think about it because you're afraid of what will happen if you don't. Do you govern your life by fear, or do you think about not breaking the law for the sake of honoring your Lord? That's the higher motive. I mean we need them both, but I hope you've come to the commitment to the higher one." (JM)

"When you take the 10 commandments, what is it that is really summed up in that, in one word? Sacred. Sexuality is sacred. You remarriage is sacred. Your property is sacred. Your word is sacred. Your worship is sacred. Your time is sacred. That is what it was all about." (Zacharias)

"The rags of sin must come off if we put on the robe of Christ. There must be a taking away of the love of sin, there must be a renouncing of the practices and habits of sin, or else a man cannot be a, Christian. It will be an idle attempt to try and wear religion as a sort of celestial overall over the top of old sins." (Spurgeon)

"Therefore because we're living in a dark world and the night is far spent, the only way we are going survive is by putting on the Lord Jesus Christ and not making any provision for the flesh to fulfill the lust thereof. It is a heavy spiritual warfare, and it is becoming heavier every day, and is going to continue heavier every day until the Lord snatches us out. Things are not going to ease up. Evil days, the scripture says, "shall wax worse and worse." Jesus said, "Because the iniquities of the world will abound, the love of many shall wax cold" (Matthew 24:12), talking about the time of His coming. In fact, He said, "When the Lord comes will He find faith?" Yes, He will, if we will be determined to walk and to live after the Spirit and put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for our flesh to fulfill the lust of them. How opposite that is from the world today where the doors have been opened for man to live after his flesh in any matter that his mind can imagine. We think of the words of Jesus concerning His coming, "and as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be at the coming of the Son of man." And one of those conditions of the days of Noah said, "And every man did that which was right in his own eyes." They didn't restrain themselves from anything. We are living in that kind of an age today where there seems to be no restraints. Men living after the flesh." (Smith)

Why does God want us to obey the government?
What is the conscience?
Why does God's Word call all Christian's to pay their taxes?
Is rebellion against government ever justified?
Should Christian's never borrow money?
How does one love their neighbor as themselves?
How is love the fulfilling of the law?
Why is a big portion of the church sleeping?
God's call for all Christian's to cast off the works of darkness.
What are the works of darkness?
How do we fight against habits and addictions in the Christian faith?

Article: THROUGH GLASS, DARKLY

Article: Against the Flow

Chaplain

Today's blog is on Romans 14 (Helping a Weaker Brother/Sister) verses 1-4: Don't judge each other in doubtful things #1.

Two samples from the study:

There are many reasons why a Christian might be weak:

• They may be a babe in Christ (babies are weak)
• They may be sick or diseased (by legalism)
• They may be malnourished (by lack of good teaching)
• They may lack exercise (needing exhortation)

"So in this matter our convictions are to be personal things: in these areas where the scripture does not give us precise definite teaching. There is a latitude. I am to have sympathetic understanding towards those whose convictions are narrower than mine. I am also to have a sympathetic understanding for those whose convictions are broader than mine. That is where I have my problems. I can sympathize with a person who is a vegetarian. That is all right. You don't want to eat meat. That is fine. But some fellow who has convictions that are a little broader than mine and is doing some of the things that I don't feel that I can do as a child of God, I have an awfully hard time not judging him. How can he do that? So that is where my problem lies, no problem dealing with those who have stronger convictions as long as they leave me alone. Don't lay your trip on me. But when it is the other way around, how I would love to lay my trip on some people. Rebuke them for the things they are doing which they feel the liberty to do. Naturally this is in scriptural limitations. There are things that the scripture tells us are wrong and with that there is no question. But in these areas where the scripture does not speak specifically, then we are to have this latitude in the receiving of each other." (Smith)

Paul's call to receive Christians that are weak in the faith.
Why are some Christians weak in their faith?
Why were Christian vegetarians looking down their noses on Christian meat-eaters?
Is being legalistic make us weaker Christians?
Why does Paul say not to condemn other Christians regarding non-scriptural issues?

4/29/15 - 2 Thessalonians 2
4/30/15 - Christians, Jew & Gentile (Ephesians 2:14-16)

A new episode of the podcast Unbelievable has been posted:

Drew-Dyck-Ben-Watts-Main_article_image.jpg

Why do young people leave church? Drew Dyck & Ben Watts
Saturday 2nd May 2015 - 02:30 pm

Ben Watts lost his faith and left his church in his late teens. He explains why, and engages in a discussion with Drew Dyck, author of ‘Generation Ex-Christian: Why young adults are leaving the faith and how to bring them back’.

Get the MP3 (right click/save as)

For Drew Dyck: www.drewdyck.com

For Ben Watts: http://exchristianskeptic.blogspot.co.uk/

An article on the emergent church:

Is God's Truth Still Emerging? with Chris Quintana (Part 1)

The way I try to make it for people when I’m teaching on the topic, and I’ve done that here at our church and then conferences and stuff like that, when I say “emergent,” then I put it in the category that the people that are out there denying the essentials of the faith. So when I say “emergent,” when I’m talking about emergent teachers (and I know that we’ll get into some of the names of those guys as we progress), emerging…you may have other people that are coming up with different views of church. They may not have left what we would consider orthodoxy of salvation by grace through faith, substitutionary atonement, those kinds of things, and those are more the emerging, and they would use that term to say, “Well, we’re coming out…we’re in this postmodern world, and so we’re emerging in - coming out of that old thing.” So it’s at all times reinventing itself.

Three new apologetic lectures:

Caltech Asks: What's the Matter? Searching for Meaning in a Cold, Dark Universe

Jonathan Feng, a Professor of Physics and Astronomy from UC Irvine, speaks at The Veritas Forum at California Institute of Technology, 2015.

Doctrine of God Part 9: God's Immutability

The Kalam Cosmological Argument | Plantinga Conference 2014 | William Lane Craig

Chaplain

Today's blog is on Romans 14 (Helping a Weaker Brother/Sister) verses 2-12: Don't judge each other in doubtful things #2.

Now, on what day are we to worship the Lord? On Saturday or on Sunday? If we worship on Saturday, are we then to follow the Jewish custom of the day begins at sundown and should we began worshipping God on Friday evening as the sun goes down and worship until Saturday evening sundown? Or is Sunday the day that we should worship the Lord? There are those who are very vehement in their feeling that Saturday is the only day to worship the Lord, and if you worship the Lord on Sunday that is paramount to taking the mark of the beast, for Sunday worship is the mark of the beast because Sunday was actually named after the sun god-Sunday. And thus, it was after the sun god. Thus, we ought to worship on Saturday, but they don't tell you that is named after the god Saturn. One man esteems one day above another. "Oh, this is the only day." I am in the second category here myself. Another esteems every day alike--that is me. It don't matter. I worship God on Saturday, or Monday, or Wednesday or whenever. Doesn't matter to me what day I worship God; I worship the Lord every day. As far as I am concerned, every day is the Lord's day; I live my life for Him. So, I worship the Lord every morning. I worship the Lord all of the time, and every day is alike to me. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. (Smith)

Paul’s quotation of Isaiah 45:23 in Philippians 2:10-11 is an overwhelming evidence of the deity of Jesus Christ. Clearly, in Isaiah 45:23 it is the LORD God speaking (I, the LORD, speak, Isaiah 45:19). Now, Paul clearly puts these high words and this high praise towards Jesus: that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Additionally, the confess is made that Jesus Christ is Lord - and the word Lord is the same word used in Paul’s ancient Bible for “LORD” in the Old Testament.

Why is judging other Christians inappropriate in matters of conscience?
What day (s) should Christians worship God on?
What does it mean to only live and only die to the Lord?
Judging other believers is inappropriate because we will all face judgment before Jesus. What happens at the judgment seat of Christ?

5/03/15 - Jesus, Our Example in Temptation (Mt 4:1-11)
5/03/15 - Matthew 1-3
5/03/15 - Luke 8:1-18
5/03/15 - The Dead Church, Sardis (Revelation 3:1-6)
5/03/15 - Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, & Teachers

Video: Give Me an Answer - #1614 - Are Ethics From God?
Video: Is Science the Only Path to Knowledge?
Article: Rejoicing with the Gideons: Two Billion Bibles Distributed!
Article: Faith turns Christians into terrorist targets
Article: Super Heroes and Humanity

Chaplain

Quote of the day: "Consequences are bound to the choices you make. You can have your choice, but you cannot choose your consequence." (Zacharias)

Today's blog is on Romans 14 (Helping a Weaker Brother/Sister) verses 13-23: Don't stumble each other over doubtful things.

We might stumble or cause our brother to fall in two ways. We can discourage or beat them down through our legalism against them, or we can do it by enticing them to sin through an unwise use of our liberty.

"Thus, I live in the law of love a more stringent life than my own convictions. Because I would not want to do something that would stumble someone else. Though I feel a personal liberty that I could do those things without hindering my fellowship with Jesus Christ, I will not do them for love and for love's sake. So that I would not be a stumbling block to someone else."

Each of us must ask: "God what is there in my life hindering a closer walk with You? I want to know the happiness that comes from not condemning myself by what I approve in my life." This takes faith, because we often cling to hindering things because we think they make us happy. Real happiness is found being closer and closer to Jesus, and by not being condemned by what we approve.

What does it mean to judge another person?
Using our liberty to stumble other believers is a sin.
Issues that destroy lives that have nothing to do with a person's eternal salvation.
Sinning against a believer due to our misuse of our liberty in Christ.
Pursuing the higher call of the Kingdom of God.
A summary of what the Christian life is all about?
Biblical love uses personal liberty to build others up.
How does a Christian condemn themselves?

New apologetic lectures and Q/A:

Video: Why Did Jesus Die? | Vince Vitale

Jesus dying for us on the cross is a big deal in Christianity. But why? How can it make sense for an innocent person to die for other people's mistakes? Hundreds of young people heard Oxford theologian Dr. Vince Vitale address these questions.

Video: What About War in the Bible? | Vince Vitale

Oxford theologian Dr. Vince Vitale sheds some light on war in the Old Testament. The reading for this sermon was 2 Samuel 10.

Video: Why Doesn't God Stop Evil?

Audio: What About The Difference Between Christianity and Other Religions?
Audio: What About God's Reasoning For Allowing Natural Disasters?
Audio: What About Science and Religion Being Polar Opposites From Each Other?
Audio: What About The Bible And the Idea That it Condones Sexism?
Audio: What About Why Does God Allowing Suffering?
Audio: What About Does God Condone Genocide in The Bible?

Chaplain

Quote of the day: "I do not believe that one can earnestly seek and find the priceless treasure of God’s call without a devout prayer life. That is where God speaks. The purpose of prayer and of God’s call in your life is not to make you number one in the world’s eyes, but to make him number one in your life. We must be willing to be outshone while shining for God. We hear very little about being smaller in our own self-estimate." (Zacharias)

Today's blog is on Romans 15 (Living to Bless Your Brother) verses 1-6: Being filled in the Christian life.

Samples from the study:

"A genuine concern for the weak will mean an attempt to make them strong by leading them out of their irrational scruples so that they, too, can be strong." (Morris)

"The Scripture account is filled with men who laid aside their liberty and rights for the sake of their weaker brothers. Abraham (Genesis 13:8-9), Jonathan (1 Samuel 19:4), David (1 Samuel 24:10), and Moses (Hebrews 11:24) are all examples of men who willingly let go of their rightful possessions or positions. They didn’t demand their own way—and they prospered as a result. “Learn from their example,” said Paul." (Courson)

“Hope is one of the Theological virtues. This means that a continual looking forward to the eternal world is not (as some modern people think) a form of escapism or wishful thinking, but one of the things a Christian is meant to do. It does not mean that we are to leave the present world as it is. If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were just those who thought most of the next. The Apostles themselves, who set on foot the conversion of the Roman Empire, the great men who built up the Middle Ages, the English Evangelicals who abolished the Slave Trade, all left their mark on Earth, precisely because their minds were occupied with Heaven. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this. Aim at Heaven and you will get earth “thrown in”: aim at earth and you will get neither. It seems a strange rule, but something like it can be seen at work in other matters. Health is a great blessing, but the moment you make health one of your main, direct objects you start becoming a crank and imagining there is something wrong with you. You are only likely to get health provided you want other things more—food, games, work, fun, open air. In the same way, we shall never save civilization as long as civilization is our main object. We must learn to want something else even more. Most of us find it very difficult to want “Heaven” at all—except in so far as “Heaven” means meeting again our friends who have died. One reason for this difficulty is that we have not been trained: our whole education tends to fix our minds on this world. Another reason is that when the real want for Heaven is present in us, we do not recognize it. Most people, if they had really learned to look into their own hearts, would know that they do want, and want acutely, something that cannot be had in this world. There are all sorts of things in this world that offer to give it to you, but they never quite keep their promise.” (C.S. Lewis)

"As God is the God of patience and consolation, so we are to be to each other. We are to be comforting to one another, and we are to be patient with one another. Now there is an interesting thing. I appreciate God's patience with me. I am thankful for that. However, I am not so patient with Him. I appreciate other people's patience with me, but I am not always so patient with them. Now, as you would that men should do unto you, that is the way you should do to them likewise; comfort, be patient, according to Christ Jesus." (Smith)

Introduction to Romans 15
What does the Bible say about looking out for only ourselves?
Why are we called to be filled with care and concern for others?
Our call to follow Jesus' example of others-centered living.
How did Jesus fulfill God's Word?
What is the purpose of Bible?
Is there any way to increase our hope in God?
How should we respond to insults?
Paul's prayer for Christians to live like Jesus lived.
What is the meaning and purpose of prayer?
Why are we called to be patient with one another?
Why does God want us to be united and of one mind?
What happens to the person that stops going to church?

New sermons (right click/save as)

5/3/15 - Bible vs. Qu'ran Comparison
5/3/15 - Revelation 8-9
5/5/15 - Genesis 25 (Men's Study)
5/5/15 - Laboring in the Gospel (Women's Study)
5/6/15 - Psalms 107-109
5/6/15 - Isaiah 9-11
5/6/15 - Proverbs 17-18

Video: What is Worthwhile under the Sun - EP2

Are your pleasures getting in the way of your relationships with God, or with others? Just because you can do something does not mean you should. In this episode Ravi suggests steps we can take to determine the difference between pleasures that are worthwhile and those that are not.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Calling resists privatization by insisting on the totality of faith. Calling resists politicization by demanding a tension with every human allegiance and association. Calling resists polarization by requiring an attitude toward, and action in, society that is inevitably transforming because it is constantly engaged. Grand Christian movements will rise and fall. Grand campaigns will be mounted and grand coalitions assembled. But all together such coordinated efforts will never match the influence of untold numbers of followers of Christ living out their callings faithfully across the vastness and complexity of modern society.” (Os Guinness, The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life)

Today's blog is on Romans 15 (Living to Bless Your Brother) verses 7-16: The Believer's Call To Serve Jesus and Others.

Samples from the study:

"Christ did not receive us because we were perfect, because he could see no fault in us, or because he hoped to gain somewhat at our hands. Ah, no! But, in loving condescension covering our faults, and seeking our good, he welcomed us to his heart; so, in the same way, and with the same purpose, let us receive one another." (Spurgeon)

"Now people oftentimes put their faith in the joy and peace, or in a feeling that they have. "Are you a child of God?" "Oh yes." "How do you know you are a child of God?" "Oh, I feel such peace in my heart. Oh, I have such joy. I know I'm saved because I have never felt such joy." Oh, wait a minute. It isn't believing in the joy and the peace, it is believing in the Word of God. You see, if you say that you are saved because you have such peace and joy in your life, you may wake up tomorrow morning on one of those Mondays, and it is one miserable day and you feel horrible. You knew you shouldn't have gone to In and Out after the service and had onion on the hamburger. Now you are suffering for it and you are irritable, and you're upset. What does that say? "Oh, I am not saved today, because I don't have the joy and I am all irritable." You see, the faith is not in the feeling. It is not believing in a feeling. It is believing the Word of God, what God has said. And so my faith is founded in the fact of God's Word. It doesn't change, feelings do. My feelings are changeable." (Smith)

Why does Christ accept us as His brothers and sisters?
Do we need to clean-up our act before coming to Jesus?
The importance of knowing and memorizing God's Word.
Did Jesus only come to save the Jews?
Filled with love for others and joy and peace by the Holy Spirit.
Is our faith in God based on our feelings or on the Word of God?
Paul's call to all Christians to teach and instruct one another.
Does Satan accuse believers and steal their knowledge of God's Word?
What happens when we bring glory to God?
Are believers priest's before God?

Video: 17. Who made God?

Video: Oxford Theologian Takes Questions on God and Suffering

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"The question, ‘Who am I?’ is a truly terrifying question, because if we are prepared to be honest about what’s going on in our own hearts, the answer to that question is scary. Jesus Christ is the light, he is the truth. He came into this world to reveal things as they really are, but he didn’t simply come to reveal things as they are, he came to transform the way we are, that’s what it means." (Ramsden)

Today's blog is on Romans 15 (Living to Bless Your Brother) verses 17-33: Paul's burden in serving Jesus.

Samples from the study:

"The Word of God is wonderful, it is important, it is powerful, it is alive, sharper than a two-edged sword, but it has to also work in our lives and be demonstrated through our lives. Many times what I say is totally lost on the ears of the hearers because of what I am. If the Word doesn't work in my life and I cannot demonstrate the power of the Word of God through my life, then all of the principles in the world, if they are not practical, don't work no matter how good a principal they may be; they are of no value. It is the Holy Spirit that takes the Word and then makes the Word operable in my life and the deeds then are demonstrated--that of love, that of power. And the Holy Spirit can manifest Himself in many different ways." (Smith)

"Paul's joy was never tied to his circumstance...it was never tied to the occasion. His joy was tied to his obedience. Francis Xavior's hymn which our choir sings from time to time goes like this, "My God, I love Thee, not because I hope for heaven thereby, nor yet because who loved Thee not are lost eternally. Thou, O my Jesus, Thou didst me upon the cross embrace for me didst bear the nails and spear in manifold disgrace. And griefs and torments numberless and sweat of agony and death itself and all for me who was Thine enemy. Then why, O blessed Jesus Christ, should I not love Thee well? Not for the sake of winning heaven or of escaping hell, not with the hope of gaining ought, not seeking a reward, but as Thyself has loved me, O ever loving Lord...and then this...even so I love Thee and will love and in Thy praise will sing because Thou art my loving God and my eternal king." In other words, what Francis Xavior was saying is what Paul knew, I don't love You, God, for the nice circumstance you put me in, I love You because of what You've done for me and who You are. And as I live in obedience I then live in the fullness of blessing. This is the greatest satisfaction." (JM)

Paul glories in the work God has done through him.
What does it mean to live our lives for Jesus in "word and deed"?
Why did Paul have a desire to preach the gospel in new places?
Why Paul hasn't visited the Christians in Rome yet.
Lessons to learn from Paul's flexibility in changing his plans.
Why did Paul plea for prayer?
What does it mean to strive together in prayer?
What helps ministers keep their lives together?
Why did the church of Jerusalem distrust Paul?
Why was Paul full of joy as a prisoner?

New apologetic lectures:

Video: The Loud Absence - John Lennox and Jane Beal at University of California, Davis 2015

Video: Testing Assumptions: A Former Atheist Meets Mother Teresa - Mary Poplin at Washington State University 2015

Video: Ethics and the Good Life - Timothy J. Keller and Philip Kitcher at Columbia University 2015

Video: Jesus Christ & Nanotechnology - James Tour at Texas A&M University 2015

Video: You are NOT your resume: Charles Lee and Ana Mari Cauce at The University of Washington 2015

A new episode of the podcast Unbelievable has been posted:

David-Robertson-Tony-Smollett-Main_article_image.jpg

Why Isn't Tony a Christian? David Robertson & Tony Smollett

Justin chairs an open ended conversation between two Scots. Church leader David Robertson and atheist Tony Smollett.

They cover the reasons why Tony fell away from his churchgoing childhood and would find it difficult to become a Christian today, while David shares from his own journey to faith.

For David Robertson: www.solas-cpc.org and https://theweeflea.wordpress.com

For Tony Smollett: https://twitter.com/tonescotland

For more faith debates visit www.premierchristianradio.com/unbelievable

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"It would be a pity if, in a desire (rightly) to treat the Bible as more than a book, we ended up treating it as less than a book by not permitting it the range and use of language, order, and figures of speech that are (or ought to be) familiar to us from our ordinary experience of conversation and reading.” (Lennox)

Today's blog is on Romans 16 (Greetings to the Christians in Rome) verses 1-16: Greetings to many different Christians in the Church in Rome.

Samples from the study:

This phrase gives us a clue to the organization of the early church. In a city with a Christian community of any size, there would be several "congregations" meeting in different houses, since there were no "church" buildings at this time. Each house church probably had its own "pastor."

"Now interesting, Junia is a feminine name. Paul declares that she was an apostle. So something that perhaps you have never considered that there is a possibility that there were women apostles as well as men. Now there is another way to translate this as those who don't like that idea translate it the other way. Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, or whom the apostles know, who are noted by the apostles. Not that they are noted apostles, but they are noted by the apostles, and that is the way other people translate that to say, "Oh no, no. They couldn't have a woman apostle." "The other apostles who were in Christ before me," referring to Peter and John, "that they know this gal so greet her also." You have to in the Greek language sort of bend it a bit to get that particular idea out of the translation, the plain understanding of the Greek is that Junia was indeed an apostle, well-noted apostle that Paul is seeking that they greet. Who actually was in Christ before Paul. This would be interesting too to find out who was right in the interpreting of this woman." (Smith)

Why did Paul recommend Phoebe to the church in Rome?
Phoebe's background in the early church as a deaconess.
Paul sends greetings to the married couple Priscilla and Aquilla.
Where did Christians go to church during the time of Paul?
Paul sends greetings to one of his first converts.
Paul sends greetings to Andronicus and Junia.
Does Paul say that there were women apostles?
Paul sends greetings to the slave Amplias.
Why does Paul greet everyone at Aristobulus' house except Aristobulus himself?
Paul sends greetings to Rufus.
Is Rufus related to Simon the Cyrene mentioned in the gospel of Mark?
Paul sends greeting to Nereus.
Paul greetings to various people.
What is a holy kiss?

New apologetics lectures:

Video: How Can We Know God and Be With Him?
Video: Unbelievable? Conference Panel | United Kingdom 2014
Video: Doctrine of God Part 10: God's Immutability and Incorporeality

4/10/15 - Our Enduring Hope (I Thessalonians 1:1-6)
4/10/15 - Genesis 3:7-14
4/10/15 - Luke 8:19-21

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Men are distracted from the unity of the truth when the truth of God is destroyed by doctrines of human invention." (John Calvin)

Today's blog is on Romans 16 (Greetings to the Christians in Rome) verses 17-27: Paul's concluding words and warnings.

Samples from the study:

"What’s being said here is that there are sincere people who are being deceived by those who preach another Jesus Christ. Therefore, in your sincerity to want to learn more about the Lord or to be students of the Word, don’t allow those who teach a different Jesus to come into your home. Don’t engage in discussions with them. Don’t spend time arguing with them. Mark them and avoid them. One reason is protection. Satan is clever. And many a believer who thought he was strong in theology has succumbed to those who are inspired satanically. The second reason is prioritization. Invest your energy in the fields that are already white and ready for harvest (John 4:35), in the lives of those who are already open to the gospel." (Courson)

"I do believe that it is incumbent to that minister, servant of God who is living from the ministry, I believe that it is incumbent upon him to live a very simple life. I do not believe that he should be spending a lot of money extravagantly on fancy clothes, fancy cars, fancy this or that. I think that the servant of God should live a simple life. I believe in that. I not only believe in that, I practice that. Now God has blessed us financially. I thank God for the blessings that He has given to us. I thank God that we have all that we desire and thus, I feel that I am extremely rich. But I do believe that as a servant of Jesus Christ, a minister of the gospel, that it is important that I live simply and not extravagantly. Lest I could be accused of being one who is serving his own desires and not really serving the Lord Jesus Christ." (Smith)

"If there is anything that the Book of Romans explains from beginning to end, it is the greatness and glory of this plan of God that Paul preached as a gospel - as good news. It's entirely fitting that Paul concludes this letter praising the God of such a gospel." (Guzik)

Why would Paul warn believers (not non-believers) about dividers and deceivers in the church if believers are supposedly immune to deception?
How should believers respond to dividers and deceivers in the church?
What type of believer gets caught in deception?
Scriptures that tell us how to spot dividers and deceivers in the church.
What is the best defense against deception?
Is God crushing Satan (Rom 16:20) a fulfillment of Genesis 3:15?
Did Paul write his own letters?
Paul concludes the book of Romans by praising God.

5/10/15 - Recipe for a Blessed Life (Mt 5:1-12)
5/10/15 - Eve, Wife & Mother (Selected Scriptures)
5/10/15 - Gen 22:1-15

pixelation

Why would God allow for a person to be born with homosexual tendencies?, he condemns such acts and behavior but still he permits humans being born with such leanings?, why would he do that?, it's like asking a person to fight his need to feed himself due to suffering from hunger, it's an innate instinct for some persons and yet he allows for people to be born gay and then proceeds to condemn gayness?, what is up with that?... that is extremely cruel.

Garryk

Why would God allow for a person to be born with homosexual tendencies?, he condemns such acts and behavior but still he permits humans being born with such leanings?, why would he do that?, it's like asking a person to fight his need to feed himself due to suffering from hunger, it's an innate instinct for some persons and yet he allows for people to be born gay and then proceeds to condemn gayness?, what is up with that?... that is extremely cruel.

I think if you believe that people are born with a sexual orientation, then you also have to believe that cleptomaniacs, pathological liars, murderers, sex-addicts, etc. are born with those particular tendencies. God condemns stealing, lying, murder, fornication/adultery right along with homosexuality. God hates all sin, but all sins can be forgiven through belief in Jesus Christ. From that, if any sin can be forgiven, then I don't see how God can be cruel.

That's my $0.02.

pixelation

I think if you believe that people are born with a sexual orientation, then you also have to believe that cleptomaniacs, pathological liars, murderers, sex-addicts, etc. are born with those particular tendencies. God condemns stealing, lying, murder, fornication/adultery right along with homosexuality. God hates all sin, but all sins can be forgiven through belief in Jesus Christ. From that, if any sin can be forgiven, then I don't see how God can be cruel.

That's my $0.02.

I am sure that people are born with a predetermined sexual orientation, some gay people were born like that and i guess others chose to be that way (hard to believe but i guess it's possible). God can forgive your sins yes... but why put a person in a losing battle?, why allow for a person to be born gay only to demand of him/her to fight against his natural instincts for all of his life?.

I'm sure someone can give a better answer. I struggle with these discussions because English is not my first language and I don't remember all the right Bible verses.

But I'll say what I believe and think it's what Bible teaches.

We are all born with sin, and it's allways a losing battle for us. This is why we need Christ.

pixelation

I'm sure someone can give a better answer. I struggle with these discussions because English is not my first language and I don't remember all the right Bible verses.

But I'll say what I believe and think it's what Bible teaches.

We are all born with sin, and it's allways a losing battle for us. This is why we need Christ.

Yes but... refraining from stealing a cookie or cursing is less difficult than say... finding a person of the same sex attractive.

I am sure that people are born with a predetermined sexual orientation, some gay people were born like that and i guess others chose to be that way (hard to believe but i guess it's possible). God can forgive your sins yes... but why put a person in a losing battle?, why allow for a person to be born gay only to demand of him/her to fight against his natural instincts for all of his life?.
You could say that about God's instructions for all of human sexuality to be defined within the monogamous relationship of one man and woman. God holds an unmarried couple having sex to the same standards He does anyone else regardless of preference.

Yes but... refraining from stealing a cookie or cursing is less difficult than say... finding a person of the same sex attractive.

As I said, I have trouble communicating everything I mean in English, but I believe we are all in need of salvation, homosexual or not. We will all fail on our own because sin is "encoded" in us because we are all part of the fallen humankind.

It is cruel, actually. We will struggle every moment we breath and we will fail. The Good News is that Christ suffered so that we would not have to face eternal death because of our failings.

I hope this helps, and sorry if this doesn't make any sense to you. Maybe someone who knows Bible better can continue.

pixelation

As I said, I have trouble communicating everything I mean in English, but I believe we are all in need of salvation, homosexual or not. We will all fail on our own because sin is "encoded" in us because we are all part of the fallen humankind.

It is cruel, actually. We will struggle every moment we breath and we will fail. The Good News is that Christ suffered so that we would not have to face eternal death because of our failings.

I hope this helps, and sorry if this doesn't make any sense to you. Maybe someone who knows Bible better can continue.

Thanks, i appreciate your reply.

Chaplain

God can forgive your sins yes... but why put a person in a losing battle?, why allow for a person to be born gay only to demand of him/her to fight against his natural instincts for all of his life?

A few things.

Jesus was tempted like you and I on all desires that are contrary to God's will. It got so bad for him that he contemplated not giving his life on our behalf in the Garden of Gethsemane. He was crushed with instincts (self-preservation instincts, etc.) that were yelling at him not to go through with his death on the cross. So, we are not alone in our struggles. Jesus came to experience pain and suffering to show that He cares about these things by experiencing them himself.

That said, every single person deals with natural instincts that are contrary to being made in God's image (moral and rational beings). As a married man, I am tempted from time-to-time to desire other women. Did God put these desires in me? God forbid! These desires are part of my human nature that Jesus calls me to not given into and go to Him for help. If I gave into these desires I would be sinning against God and my wife: sin is ultimately a violation of purpose - God's purpose for mankind. Due to giving into this type of desire, hypothetically, I would be forcing pain onto my wife and those that I love that would probably stay with them for the rest of their lives. So, due to my love for her and my promise of not loving anyone else other than my wife, I will continue to choose to deny any and all desires that will put my needs ahead of her.

I am not angry with God due to understanding that we live in a broken/fallen world. Also, that we are not alone in our daily struggles, and that we have access to help outside of ourselves when dealing with things that violate the purpose of our existence. ^_^

pixelation

A few things.

Jesus was tempted like you and I on all desires that are contrary to God's will. It got so bad for him that he contemplated not giving his life on our behalf in the Garden of Gethsemane. He was crushed with instincts (self-preservation instincts, etc.) that were yelling at him not to go through with his death on the cross. So, we are not alone in our struggles. Jesus came to experience pain and suffering to show that He cares about these things by experiencing them himself.

That said, every single person deals with natural instincts that are contrary to being made in God's image (moral and rational beings). As a married man, I am tempted from time-to-time to desire other women. Did God put these desires in me? God forbid! These desires are part of my human nature that Jesus calls me to not given into and go to Him for help. If I gave into these desires I would be sinning against God and my wife: sin is ultimately a violation of purpose - God's purpose for mankind. Due to giving into this type of desire, hypothetically, I would be forcing pain onto my wife and those that I love that would probably stay with them for the rest of their lives. So, due to my love for her and my promise of not loving anyone else other than my wife, I will continue to choose to deny any and all desires that will put my needs ahead of her.

I am not angry with God due to understanding that we live in a broken/fallen world. Also, that we are not alone in our daily struggles, and that we have access to help outside of ourselves when dealing with things that violate the purpose of our existence. ^_^

I understand that, but you are a straight male... you get tempted by other woman and what you need to do is just not act on it. I, however am attracted to males what am i supposed to do... live a life of celibacy?. I was born like this... ever since i can remember i always knew that something was wrong with me, feeling attracted to other male kids when i was in kindergarden for starters, it was never my decision to be this way.

I understand that, but you are a straight male... you get tempted by other woman and what you need to do is just not act on it. I, however am attracted to males what am i supposed to do... live a life of celibacy?. I was born like this... ever since i can remember i always knew that something was wrong with me, feeling attracted to other male kids when i was in kindergarden for starters, it was never my decision to be this way.

Gay or straight, celibacy is taught as the preferred way to disciple according to Paul, but that if celibacy is too difficult one should marry:

8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Even leaving homosexuality out of it, the vast majority of western Christians do not abide by this principal, as nobody "burns with passion" until married. However, there is sexual release after marriage along with grace and forgiveness of those truly sorry for their premarital acts. Sadly, there is no such release for homosexuals, so the answer to a gay person that is unable to "control themselves" is clear - but very uncomfortable to relay from a strict Biblical perspective: you must stay celibate.

Now, it's not difficult to find a sincere theologian or author that will make room for homosexuality - however you would have to be comfortable with aligning yourself with someone introducing a foreign concept to thousands of years of Judaeo/Christian understanding, contrary to any remotely honest literal or historical interpretation of the Biblical text.

Of course I'm not meaning to pick on homosexuality, as there are many similarly once forbidden practices now accepted in to today's Church that are contradictory to Christian scripture and historical understanding. This is because most Christians don't read the Bible to be challenged in any meaningful way. No right-wing conservative is going to sell all their stuff and give the proceeds to charity. Joel Osteen will not teach Jesus taught extensively on Hell and that very few will make it to heaven. The ELCA will not abide by the clear roles set for women. The Catholic church will not follow the rules on monetizing the church. Instead, people will strike uncomfortable teachings as "ceremonial laws" that were abolished at Calvary or "culturally specific" to that time and place without any scripture to back such sweeping assumptions.

The Bible is uncomfortably clear: Christianity is very difficult for the gay or straight alike. It requires great sacrifice. It's a life of real persecution. It's a life of horrible struggles with ones self and those around them. It's not just about salvation and feeding the poor, but tirelessly fighting your own sins and culture.

pixelation

Gay or straight, celibacy is taught as the preferred way to disciple according to Paul, but that if celibacy is too difficult one should marry:

Even leaving homosexuality out of it, the vast majority of western Christians do not abide by this principal, as nobody "burns with passion" until married. However, there is sexual release after marriage along with grace and forgiveness of those truly sorry for their premarital acts. Sadly, there is no such release for homosexuals, so the answer to a gay person that is unable to "control themselves" is clear - but very uncomfortable to relay from a strict Biblical perspective: you must stay celibate.

Now, it's not difficult to find a sincere theologian or author that will make room for homosexuality - however you would have to be comfortable with aligning yourself with someone introducing a foreign concept to thousands of years of Judaeo/Christian understanding, contrary to any remotely honest literal or historical interpretation of the Biblical text.

Of course I'm not meaning to pick on homosexuality, as there are many similarly once forbidden practices now accepted in to today's Church that are contradictory to Christian scripture and historical understanding. This's because most Christians don't read the Bible so they may be challenged in any substantial way. No right-wing conservative is going to sell all their stuff and give it to charity. Joel Osteen will not teach Jesus taught extensively on Hell and that very few will make it to heaven. The ELCA will not abide by the clear roles set for women. The Catholic church will not follow the rules on monetizing the church. Instead, people will strike uncomfortable teachings as "ceremonial laws" that were abolished at Calvary or "culturally specific" to that time and place without any scripture to back such sweeping assumptions.

The Bible is uncomfortably clear: Christianity is very difficult for the gay or straight alike. It requires great sacrifice. It's a life of real persecution. It's a life of horrible struggles with ones self and those around them. It's not just about salvation and feeding the poor, but tirelessly fighting your own sins and culture.

Thanks for your post, it is harsh but truthful.

aly

I think this is something that many modern churches fail to teach thoroughly, especially to people who are new.I've seen so many people fall to the wayside because they did'nt realize that it would be hard. I would say that I've gained comfort and understanding with my faith, but life is also harder at the same time since I now think about how I'm fighting myself and things that seem like they should be natural. For example I have some difficulty with controlling my words and tone. The other day, I had to try to gain some understanding from this passage which had come to mind

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."- Colossians 4:6

I'm happy for it, but its very hard.

pixelation, I just wanted to add that while as a straight male I can't fully understand what you are going through (as you said yourself on reply to another post), I do know what it is to struggle with sexuality when my desires seem to be in odds with Word of God.

Just remember Christ is always there for you, wherever you may walk in this life.

pixelation

pixelation, I just wanted to add that while as a straight male I can't fully understand what you are going through (as you said yourself on reply to another post), I do know what it is to struggle with sexuality when my desires seem to be in odds with Word of God.

Just remember Christ is always there for you, wherever you may walk in this life.

Thanks dude, i honestly appreciate it.

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"We might not hear Jesus audibly or see Him visibly as the disciples did, but He continues to speak to us “of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.” How? Through pains and problems. If you had a hard day today or a hard week, a hard year, or a hard life, understand this: It’s the Lord speaking to you concerning His kingdom, saying, “Child, this is not your home. I don’t want you to sink your roots here too deeply because all of this is going to pass away quickly. I know that if I don’t allow dark days to poke you and prod you to look heavenward, you’ll put your time and energy into things that are destined to burn, and you’ll be disappointed for the next billion years to come.” So don’t be upset and bitter when times are tough. Realize they are God’s reminder to seek first the kingdom (Matthew 6:33)." (Courson)

Today's blog is on Acts 1 (Jesus Ascends to Heaven, A New Apostle Chosen) verses 1-3: Prologue to Acts & Evidence for Jesus' Resurrection.

Samples from the study:

In the mid-1960’s, A.N. Sherwin-White, an expert in Graeco-Roman history from Oxford, wrote about Acts: “The historical framework is exact. In terms of time and place the details are precise and correct . . . As documents these narratives belong to the same historical series as the record of provincial and imperial trials in epigraphical and literary sources of the first and early second centuries AD…For Acts the confirmation of historicity is overwhelming…Any attempt to reject its basic historicity even in matters of detail must now appear absurd. Roman historians have long taken it for granted.”

"Sometimes we fault the disciples because of their questions of the timing of the kingdom of God. Let it be remembered that the kingdom of God was the favorite subject of Jesus Christ. He was always talking about the kingdom of God, and it is a great hope that He was planting into the hearts of all men. Things are not always going to continue corrupted as they are. The world is not going to go forever under the power of darkness, under the bondage of evil. God is going to one day establish His kingdom upon the earth. A kingdom of righteous joy and peace. "Jesus shall reign, where ere the sun doth her successive journeys run. And His kingdom will extend from shore to shore." And that day will be the most glorious day the world has ever seen, as sickness and suffering and pain will be abolished in His kingdom. As sin and greed and these things that have made the world such an intolerable place will be abolished in His kingdom. The godless commercialism, the exploitation of man, all of these things abolished in His glorious kingdom when He reigns. No wonder the disciples were anxious to get it on. I'm anxious to get it on; I'm anxious for His kingdom to come. And Jesus told us when we pray, the first petition is, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven" (Matthew 6:10). This is the right kind of a desire that we should all have. I desire the kingdom of God. And so He was talking to them, during this forty-day period, of the kingdom." (Smith)

Other things discussed....

The historicity of the Book of Acts.
Who is Theophilus and why did Luke write to him?
What is the purpose of Luke's writing of the Book of Acts?
Is the Book of Acts still continuing in our present day?
Did Jesus rely on the Holy Spirit for his strength?
What is the Holy Spirits role in the life of believers?
What historical evidence is there for the resurrection of Jesus?
What 12 facts do virtually all scholars (including skeptics) believe about Jesus death and resurrection?
Did Jesus teach new teachings before His ascension to heaven?

New apologetics discussions:

Video: Christianity and the Tooth Fairy - John Lennox and Don Demetriades at Montana State University

Video: Answering Questions Non-Christians Ask - Michael Ramsden

Video: Michael Ramsden: calling the humanist bluff

“Modern humanism is the faith that through science humankind can know the truth – and so be set free. But if Darwin’s theory of natural selection is true, this is impossible. The human mind serves evolutionary success, not truth. To think otherwise is to resurrect the pre-Darwinian error that humans are different from all other animals. ...Darwinian theory tells us that an interest in truth is not needed for survival or reproduction. More often it is a disadvantage. Deception is common among primates and birds… Truth has no systematic evolutionary advantage over error. Quite to the contrary, evolution will select for a degree of self-deception, rendering some facts and motives unconscious so as not to betray – by the subtle signs of self-knowledge – the deception being practiced…In the struggle for life, a taste for truth is a luxury – or else a disability.”” (Atheist professor John Gray)

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"What does the Christian claim for himself? He does not claim that he knows everything - that he has finality of knowledge. Nor does he claim that he has experienced everything. And it is certainly not a claim to have achieved something ourselves. A Christian is someone who has been changed by God, made a new creation in Christ. So when we say, Christ is the answer, it is literally meant. When Christ said it is finished, it meant that everything was now possible for humankind to return to God. In Genesis 1, God spoke and the world was created. After creation came the fall, and all of a sudden we became sinful by nature. Then through God’s incarnate Word, we are recreated so that we may be transformed into his likeness." (Ramsden)

Today's blog is on Acts 1 (Jesus Ascends to Heaven, A New Apostle Chosen) verses 4-8: Jesus’ final instructions to the disciples.

Samples from the study:

"This idea of authority and submission to authority are so important to God that they are part of His very being. The First Person of the Holy Trinity is called the Father; the Second Person of the Holy Trinity is called the Son. Inherent in those titles is a relationship of authority and submission to authority. The Father exercises authority over the Son, and the Son submits to the Father's authority - and this is in the very nature and being of God." (Guzik)

"By the Spirit’s power, we are now free to walk as members of a “new creation” set against the backdrop of a fallen world that is passing away as we speak. By the Spirit’s power, we are free to live as complete examples of what God is still bringing to completion, “being confident of this, that he who began a good work in [us] will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 1:6)." (McAllister)

Jesus tells the disciples to wait for the Holy Spirit.
How and why is the giving of the Holy Spirit God the father's promise?
What prophecy is fulfilled in the giving of the Holy Spirit?
What is the baptism of the Holy Spirit?
What are the three relationships that a person can have with the Holy Spirit?
The disciples ask Jesus when all of the New Covenant would be fulfilled.
Why did Jesus not tell the disciples when all of the New Covenant would be fulfilled?
Why is Jesus eternally submitted to the father's will?
What is the purpose of receiving the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives?
What does it mean to be a witness of Jesus?

Article: At the Border of Faith and Doubt

Stuart McAllister on his imprisonment for smuggling Bibles past the Iron Curtain and how it made him face a crossroads between faith and doubt. - "My colleague and I were handcuffed, not allowed to speak to each other, and put in separate cells...My doubts seemed to focus on uncertainty as to what God was doing and whether I could actually trust what I thought was His leading."

Article: What Does It Really Mean to Be Human?

A recent poll for a major Internet search company ranked “What is the meaning of life?” as the toughest question of all, coming far above such other existential stumpers as “What is love?”, “Do blondes have more fun?”, and “Why do you never see baby pigeons?”

Video: Atheist to Christian Testimony - Powerful!

5/12/15 - Genesis 26 (Men's Study)
5/13/15 - Isaiah 11-12
5/13/15 - Psalm 110
5/13/15 - Proverbs 19

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

11258226_10152996161428515_4830375714300237074_n.jpg

“I pray a lot because in the book of James it says that if we know to do good and don’t do it, that is sin. That’s the first reason. The second reason is that I feel compassion. Knowing that I’m saved, how can I not pray that the rest of those in the world be saved?” (José, prayer advocate in Mexico)

Today's blog is on Acts 1 (Jesus Ascends to Heaven, A New Apostle Chosen) verses 9-14: Jesus ascends into heaven & The disciples return to Jerusalem.

A sample from the study:

A brief historical outline of what can happen when we don't use the Bible as the final authority in matters of doctrine. Dogmas taught by the Roman church (600-1965):

A.D. 607- Boniface III made first pope.
A.D. 709- Kissing the Pope’s foot.
A.D. 786- Worshipping of images and relics.
A.D. 850- Use of “holy water” began.
A.D. 995- Canonization of dead saints.
A.D. 998- Fasting on Fridays and during Lent.
A.D. 1079- Celibacy of the priesthood, were married prior.
A.D. 1090- Prayer beads.
A.D. 1184- The Inquisition.
A.D. 1190- Sale of Indulgences.
A.D. 1215- Transubstantiation.
A.D. 1220- Adoration of the wafer the host.
A.D. 1229- Bible forbidden to laymen.
A.D. 1414- Cup forbidden to people at communion.
A.D. 1439- Doctrine of purgatory decreed and Doctrine of seven sacraments affirmed.
A.D. 1508- The Ave Maria approved.
A.D. 1534- Jesuit order founded.
A.D. 1545- Tradition granted equal authority with Bible.
A.D. 1546- Apocryphal books put into Bible.
A.D. 1854- Immaculate conception of Mary.
A.D. 1864- Syllabus of Errors proclaimed.
A.D. 1870- Infallibility of Pope declared.
A.D. 1930- Public schools condemned.
A.D. 1950- Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
A.D. 1965- Mary proclaimed Mother of the church.

“On the day after Mary’s death, when the apostles gathered around her tomb, they found it empty. The sacred body had been carried up to the Celestial Paradise: the grave had no power over one who was immaculate. But it was not enough that Mary should be received into heaven. She was to be no ordinary citizen...she had a dignity beyond the reach even of the highest of the archangels. Mary was to be crowned Queen of Heaven by the eternal Father, she was to have a throne at her Son’s right hand.. .Now day by day, hour by hour, she is praying for us obtaining graces for us, preserving us from danger shielding us from temptation, showering down blessings upon us...” (St. Bernard)

What is the meaning of Jesus ascending into heaven?
Why did the disciples need to see Jesus ascending to heaven?
Who are the two men that appear to the disciples?
A question to ask deceivers about Jesus' second coming.
What will Jesus' second coming be like.
Examples of beliefs (traditions and myths) that are man-made and not found in God's Word.
Where is the last place in the Bible where Jesus' mother Mary is mentioned?
Did the apostles have wives?
The disciples unite in prayer.

Article: Pitfalls Of Dispensationalism

Video: 18. Why believe the Bible rather than the Qur'an?

Video: Jewish man turns to Jesus and explains why in a way you never heard before!

Video: Sin and the Cultural Chinese- I'Ching Thomas

Video: Making Sense: Art and the Gospel - Mark Sprinkle

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Two of the chief defenders of the faith in the Old Testament and in the New - Moses and Paul - were both well-versed in the language, the thinking, and the philosophy of their cultures." (Zacharias)

Today's blog is on Acts 1 (Jesus Ascends to Heaven, A New Apostle Chosen) verses 15-26: Matthias is appointed to replace Judas.

A sample from the study:

"Notice that Peter ascribes to the Holy Spirit those things that David wrote. So that, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God" (II Timothy 3:16). Not part of the scriptures. Because, if you tell me that part of the scriptures are given by inspiration of God, then I must ask you, "What parts are by inspiration and what parts are not by inspiration?" And then you are then the authority who tells me what part I can believe and what part I can't believe. And the minute that God is no longer the authority but you're the authority, I'm in trouble. Beware of those who say, "Well, you can't believe all of the scriptures." The scriptures themselves say, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God." And here, Luke in writing of what Peter was saying, declares that David was actually the spokesman for the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit, by the mouth of David, spake concerning Judas." (Smith)

"People today still think that casting lots is a nifty idea. Borrowing an idiom from the account of Gideon in Judges 6, they call it “setting out a fleece” (see Judges 6:36–40). But that’s not the way of the New Testament. When Paul and Barnabas were commissioned for ministry in Acts 13, it was not through the casting of lots, but through the voice of the Spirit. How did He speak? I suggest it was through the gift of prophecy (Acts 13:2). Next time you have a decision to make, or a struggle within, I would highly encourage you to get together with other brothers and sisters and say, “Would you pray with me about this?” While you may not get immediate vision or direction, God will indeed honor such prayer and will fulfill His promise to “write His will upon the table of your heart” (see Hebrews 8:10). It amazes me how reluctant we are to do that. We’ll talk to our spouses, we’ll wrestle with ourselves, but we will rarely ask someone else to seek the Lord with us. The one who does, however, will hear His voice in wonderful ways." (Courson)

Peter shows wisdom and growth in his understanding of Old Testament scriptures.
Is Judas' death contradicted in the New Testament?
Is God's Word and His Will linked to each other in some way?
How did the Apostles determine who would take Judas' place?
The disciples pray to select a replacement for Judas.
Why did the disciples cast lots to select a replacement for Judas?.
Who and why was Matthias chosen as Judas' replacement?
Were the disciples at fault for casting lots?

A new episodes of Unbelievable is up:

Unbelievable? The Islamic vs Christian view of God. Abdurraheem Green vs Jonathan
Saturday 16th May 2015 - 02:30 pm

What is God like? Muslims believe in Tahweed (oneness), Christians in the Trinity (three in one).

British convert to Islam Abdurraheem Green debates with Christian apologist Jonathan Mclatchie.

For Abdurraheem Green: www.iera.org.uk

Jonathan McLatchie blogs at: www.crossexamined.org

Video: Give Me an Answer - #1714 - Is Value Based on Culture?

5/13/15 - 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3
5/14/15 - Jesus, Prince of Peace (Ephesians 2:17-18)

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"Many people believe that they must construct their own meaning since there is no higher purpose or being than the self. While this may seem a reasonable belief, our human longings point to transcendence. Longing for something or someone beyond ourselves reveals that we have been made for something. We find our ultimate meaning, because “we are created in the image of God by God. There is a God who loves us, according to the biblical view, and there is a scripture to guide us; there is a Holy Spirit given to us.” As a result, meaning comes through God’s declaration —we are loved by God, called to God, and gifted uniquely to serve the community, or people of God. As we seek the scriptures, listen for God’s Word, and listen for God through the community of believers we grow in our understanding that we find meaning in relationship—with God and with one another." (RZIM)

Today's blog is on Acts 2 (The Holy Spirit Is Poured Out On the Church) verses 1-4a: The disciples are filled with the Holy Spirit.

A sample from the study:

What this passage tells us about the gift of the Holy Spirit:

The gift of the Holy Spirit is promised to us.
The gift of the Holy Spirit is worth waiting for.
The gift of the Holy Spirit comes as He wills, often not according to our expectation.
The gift of the Holy Spirit can come upon not only individuals, but also upon groups (see also Acts 2:4, 4:31, 10:44).
The gift of the Holy Spirit is often given as God deals with the flesh and there is a dying to self.

Historical background on the Old Testament feast of Pentecost.
Does the day of Pentecost have any prophetic significance?
Biblical facts about the Holy Spirit's work and role in the life of believers.
Why does the Holy Spirit not fill (empower) some believers?
Why is the Holy Spirit associated with wind?
How does the Holy Spirit move?
What is the meaning of fire over the disciples?
Why did the Holy Spirit sit upon each of the disciples?
Why do all believers need to be filled with the Holy Spirit?

New apologetics lectures:

Video: Michael Ramsden - Truth in Christ
Video: Michael Ramsden - The Importance of Integrity
Video: John Lennox - Atheists Cannot Trust Their Own Minds
Video: John Lennox - Is Religion Intellectually Dangerous? at the University of Toronto

On Monday March 16, 2015 at the University of Toronto, Dr. John Lennox of the University of Oxford gave a fascinating talk to university professors and graduate students titled "Is Religion Intellectually Dangerous?" Following his talk he answered questions from the floor.

Audio: John Lennox - Public Faith: Inspiration from the life of the prophet Daniel (right click/save as)

On the evening of Monday 9th March 2015, Professor John Lennox gave a talk in Speaker's House on 'Public Faith: Inspiration from the life of the prophet Daniel' to an audience of 50 Parliamentarians and parliamentary staff, particularly looking at what lessons can be drawn from the example of Daniel for our current cultural context.

5/17/15 - Worthy is the Lamb (Rev 5:1-14)
5/17/15 - By All Means (Jsh 6:17-19)
5/17/15 - Revelation 10:1-11:14
5/17/15 - A Wedding Invitation (Matthew 22:1-14)
5/17/15 - Genesis 3:8-24
5/17/15 - Luke 8:22-25
5/17/15 - How To Do Church (I Thessalonians 1:6-10)
5/17/15 - 2 Timothy 3:10-13
5/17/15 - The Loving Church, Philadelphia (Revelation 3:7-13)

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"The reality of God's presence provides a real encounter for those who believe. It is an encounter with the living God who provides guidance, forgives sins, and answers prayer. Our vision of our future life with God guides our living in the here and now. We all wrestle with present concerns, but our ultimate destiny informs our life’s meaning and purpose. Christianity promises a future glory available to all who follow Jesus. It will be a glory in which pain and suffering are abolished, and where we have unhindered communion with each other and with God."

Today's blog is on Acts 2 (The Holy Spirit Is Poured Out On the Church) verses 4b-13: Speaking in tongues.

"Many mistakenly interpret this incident in Acts 2, assuming that the disciples used tongues to preach to the gathered crowd. But a careful look shows this idea is wrong. Notice what the people heard the disciples say: Speaking . . . the wonderful works of God. The disciples declared the praises of God, thanking Him with all their might in unknown tongues. The gathered crowd merely overheard what the disciples exuberantly declared to God." (Guzik)

"Although the word “tongues” conjures up wild images of a big tongue flapping up and down, all it means is “languages” or “dialects.” The direction of tongues is to God (1 Corinthians 14:2). The purpose of tongues is to strengthen the inner man (1 Corinthians 14:4). The effect of tongues is to build our faith (Jude 20)." (Courson)

The disciples speak in foreign languages (tongues).
Why did God have a multitude of nations ready to hear Peter's first sermon?
Biblical background on speaking in tongues.
What is the purpose of the gift of tongues?
Can all believers pray in an unknown tongue?
Is speaking in tongues in Acts 2 the same gift of tongues described in 1 Corinthians 12 and 14?

Video: "I am the Light of the World" (John 8:12) - Amy Orr-Ewing

Amy Orr-Ewing explores Jesus’ claim to be the light of the world, and considers how we ought to respond to questions about suffering and darkness.

Video: Our Elegant Universe - Marilynne Robinson at Northwestern University
Video: Success or Significance: Can you have both? Kyle Westaway & Keith Leavitt discuss at Oregon State University
Video: Cosmic Chemistry: Do Science and God Mix? John Lennox at University of Florida
Video: WHY GOD? Do we need God in the Good Times? Can we trust God in the Hard Times? John Lennoz at the University of Florida

Article: The Muddle of Human Meaning

"The Christian view of the human condition, both in its descriptive power but also in its healing vision and answer, is a wonderful remedy to a culture of denial and to those trapped with a sense of guilt and shame. It is a truth worth considering but then it also demands honesty to embrace."

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"It seems to me we have done a great disservice in our Christian communication by sometimes offering answers when the audiences have no sense of the questions and consequently little enthusiasm for the solutions, which can seem unrelated to anything in life they actually care about. In contrast, G.K. Chesterton wrote in What’s Wrong with the World: “Certainly, at least, we need a theorist. A practical man means a man accustomed to mere daily practice, to the way things commonly work. When things will not work, you must have the thinker, the man who has some doctrine about why they work at all." (McAllister)

Today's blog is on Acts 2 (The Holy Spirit Is Poured Out On the Church) verses 14-21: Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost #1.

"So Peter leads them right to the Word of God. "This is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel." And now notice how Peter quotes from the prophet Joel. You see he had a good working knowledge of the Word of God. And I point that out in order that I might point out to you the characteristics of the men that God used. And we'll be following this as we go through the Acts. But one of the first characteristics that we find of the men that God uses is that they are men of prayer. Peter and the others were waiting daily in prayer and in supplication, you remember. The men that God uses are men of the Word; a second quality that God is looking for. Peter had a good working knowledge of the Word of God. He's able to quote from the Psalms, remote little Psalms. Psalms that are not apt to catch your attention, and yet he is quoting from them, putting them together, making sense out of them. Now, as this phenomena is taking place, and they're saying, "What means this?" And he said, "This is that which was spoken of by the prophet Joel." (Smith)

"Joel was written on the occasion of a disaster that had come upon Israel. There had been a locust invasion, and the plague had destroyed every green thing in the land. In a rural, agricultural economy this destruction was an extremely serious thing. It was a matter of life and death for most people. So Joel talks about it. But instead of saying, as some of us might say under those circumstances, “Well, every cloud has a silver lining. Things will get better. Don’t worry about it,” Joel actually says, “As a matter of fact, things are going to get worse; judgment by locusts is only a foretaste of a greater, final judgment to come.” In the middle of this very gloomy book Joel talks about a blessing that is to come in the latter days. He says that God is going to restore the years that the locusts have eaten. There is going to be a time when God blesses the people so that they will be satisfied. It is at this turn in the prophecy, as Joel begins to speak comforting words, that the verses that became Peter’s first text on Pentecost occur." (Boice)

Are miracles more important than the preaching of God's Word?
Why is Peter's Pentecost sermon the model sermon for all pastors?
How does Peter respond to the accusations that the disciples were drunk?
Peter explains the strange events at Pentecost by preaching from the Old Testament.
How was Joel chapter 2 partially fulfilled at Pentecost?
What is the meaning of the phrase "last days"?
Is there a difference in how the Holy Spirit operated in the Old Testament and operates in the New Testament?
Does God offer Salvation to all mankind?

5/19/15 - James 1:1-4
5/20/15 - Psalms 111-114
5/20/15 - If God Is at Peace, I Can Be at Peace (Isaiah 18)

Video: Has Stephen Hawking Eliminated the Need for a Creator? | William Lane Craig | Biola University

In 2011, Dr William Lane Craig spoke at the 10th Annual EPS Apologetics Conference: To Everyone an Answer at Biola University. At the event, Dr Craig gave a lecture entitled, "Has Stephen Hawking Eliminated the Need for a Creator?" A Q&A time took place at the conclusion of the lecture.

Article: Professional wrestler Shawn Michaels tells his story of "Wrestling with God"

His wife, Rebecca, would take care of him, and persistently prayed that God would help Shawn kick the habit. As Rebecca’s faith grew, Shawn started to read the Bible for himself and ended up in tears, praying the ‘sinner’s prayer’ at a Bible study group in his local church.Shawn recounts, ‘I re-engaged in my faith in a much more real way and it was the greatest thing: becoming a Christian, being born again, whatever words you want to say. But for me it was developing a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and having a real faith in your life. Not just an abstract thing where you believe and might go to church here and there. It was a real active part of my life and the life of my family.’

Audio: Ravi Zacharias: Standing In The Gap
Audio: Michael Ramsden: Tough Bible Questions Answered
Audio: Michael Ramsden: Being Salt & Light in a Secular Culture
Audio: Michael Ramsden: Lessons in Apologetics
Audio: Ravi Zacharias: Christian Apologetics
Audio: Ravi Zacharias: Why Suffering - Finding Meaning in our Difficult World (Part 1)
Audio: Ravi Zacharias: Why Suffering - Finding Meaning in our Difficult World (Part 2)

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"The core of the Christian faith is a person, not a set of abstract ideas or beliefs. We must resist the temptation to speak about Christianity as if it were some "ism," like Buddhism, Freudianism or Marxism. These are essentially abstract systems that have become detached from the person of their founder and reduced to sets of ideas or doctrines. . . The relationship between Jesus and Christianity is very different. . . Christianity knows its head as living and risen from the dead." (Alister McGrath, I Believe: Exploring the Apostles' Creed, 37-38.)

Today's blog is on Acts 2 (The Holy Spirit Is Poured Out On the Church) verses 22-24: Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost #2.

"Once again Peter calls for his hearers’ attention; what he has to say is addressed to the people of Israel, who claimed to be God’s people. Somewhat abruptly he directs their attention back to Jesus, the man of Nazareth, who had been marked out by God to them through the various miracles and signs which God had performed publicly through him. Peter assumes the reality of these signs, claims that his audience are well aware of them, and states that they were worked by God. He is prepared to argue from the miracles to the hand of God. Already in his lifetime, therefore, Jesus was singled out as an unusual person, although Peter does not yet say what his particular role or status may have been. In a world which accepted the possibility and reality of the miraculous, Peter’s claim would have considerable weight. Later Jewish polemic against Jesus did not deny that he had wrought miracles, but rather claimed that he was a sorcerer, and already in his own lifetime his opponents attributed to Beelzebul the exorcisms which he performed (Luke 11:15). Something more was needed to convince the Jews that God was at work in the life of Jesus." (Marshall)

"it is manifestly wrong to try to blame the Jews or to try to blame the Romans or anybody else for the cross. It was something that God had predetermined by His own foreknowledge--a method by which He might manifest the extent of His love for lost man. And so, as he refers to the cross, he talks about God's predetermined counsel, and thus the scripture speaks of Christ crucified from the foundations of world. Before man ever sinned, God had in mind to send His Son to redeem man from his sin, and thus to manifest God's love for sinning man. It's all part of God's predetermined plan, His foreknowledge." (Smith)

Peter introduces the focus of the sermon: The resurrected Messiah, Jesus of Nazareth.
How should we begin to dialogue with others about Jesus?
Peter tells his audience that it was God's plan for Jesus to be executed.
What is the paradox of divine predestination and human freewill?
Why does Peter declare that it was impossible for death to hold Jesus?

Article: Behold, the Crucified

"Jesus is the window to God; He is also the mirror to man. In him, we see what is wrong with us, and what we are meant to be...We are no longer helplessly and hopelessly fated to take the course of Adam. There is another pattern for being fully and truly human: Behold, the man!" (Kevichusa)

Article: Carried Beyond

We're constantly about the work of distinguishing ourselves from whatever crowd we find ourselves standing in. It's in the midst of this wearying competition with ourselves and every crowd that the Christian imagination stands tall to do what it does best: not finger-wagging, not nay-saying, but extending a resonant, viable, and hopeful alternative.

Video: Why would a loving God send people to hell?

Audio: Lawrence Krauss vs John Lennox - Science, the Universe & The God Question

The DVD documentary series The God Question explores whether advances in science are undermining or supporting belief in God. Christian thinker Prof John Lennox and atheist physicist Lawrence Krauss debate some of the issues raised by the video series.

Sermon of the day: Genesis 2-3 (Adam in the Garden of Eden & Man’s Temptation and Fall)

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"The process of biblical change, explained in God’s Word, begins when you repent of your sin and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. God has given you everything you need to make the changes in your life that will please Him and will lead to His blessings. As you continue to obey God’s Word, biblical change toward maturity will occur in your life until you see Jesus face to face (based on John 1:12; Acts 26:20; Romans 8:28-39; II Corinthians 5:17; Philippians 1:6, 3:12-14; Colossians 2:13-14; James 1:25; II Peter 1:2-10)." (A Manual for In-Depth Discipleship)

Today's blog is on Acts 2 (The Holy Spirit Is Poured Out On the Church) verses 25-36: Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost #3.

"Acts stresses the resurrection as the final proof that Jesus was indeed God’s chosen one. Acts has been called the Gospel of the Resurrection. To the early Church, the resurrection was all-important. We must remember this: without the resurrection, there would have been no Christian Church at all. When the disciples preached the centrality of the resurrection, they were arguing from experience. After the cross, they were bewildered and broken; their dream had gone and their lives had been shattered. It was the resurrection which changed all that and turned them from cowards into heroes. It is one of the tragedies of the Church that so often the preaching of the resurrection is confined to Easter time. Every Sunday is the Lord’s Day, and every Lord’s Day should be kept as resurrection day. In the eastern Church on Easter Day, when two people meet, one says: ‘The Lord is risen’ and the other answers: ‘He is risen indeed!’ Christians should never forget that they live and walk with a risen Lord." (Barclay)

"The confession of Jesus Christ as Lord reminds us to consider the great significance of this word kurios, especially as it was understood by the early church, who used the LXX as their Bible - where kurios was consistently used to translate the tetragrammaton, standing for the name Yahweh."

Peter explains the resurrected Jesus using Psalm 16.
What is the Gospel?
Why couldn't Hell keep Jesus as its prisoner?
Why does Peter proclaim that Psalm 16 applies prophetically to Jesus and not king David?
Does the Holy Spirit always point people to Jesus?
Peter ends his sermon by proclaiming the divinity of Jesus using Psalm 110.

Audio: Unbelievable? Are Muslims turning to Christ around the world? David Garrison, Imam Musharraf Hussain & Nazam Guffoor
Saturday 23rd May 2015 - 02:30 pm

David Garrison, author of 'A Wind in the House of Islam' says that movements of Muslims becoming Christians are occurring globally in unprecedented numbers.

Imam Musharraf Hussain and Nazam Guffoor question David on whether the conversions are authentic and debate the death penalty for apostasy.

Free Book: Fox's Book of Martyrs

John Fox's famous book detailing the lives, sufferings and triumphant deaths of the early Christian and the Protestant Martyrs.

Article: What's New with the New Age? with Warren Smith (Part 1)

5/16/15 - Royalty Youth Conference, Session 3
5/16/15 - Royalty Youth Conference, Session 2 (Boys)
5/16/15 - Royalty Youth Conference, Session 2 (Girls)
5/16/15 - Royalty Youth Conference, Session 1
5/22/15 - The Believer's Exalted Position (Ephesians 2:19-22)

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

“Sometimes life gets overwhelming, and we realize we could use a little help. So we pray for our health to get better, for our marriage to work out, for success in our work that has taken a turn for the worse. There is nothing wrong in praying for these things, but they are not what our salvation is about. Don’t expect Jesus to save us by teaching us to depend on the things we are afraid of losing! He loves us too much to let our health, marriage, or work become the savior of our lives. He will abandon every crusade that searches for salvation from anything or anyone other than God. So he delays, he watches as we race down dead-end streets, he lets our mission du jour crash and burn. To receive Jesus as Savior means recognizing him as our only help. Not our only help for getting what we want. But our only true help.” (Barnes)

Today's blog is on Acts 2 (The Holy Spirit Is Poured Out On the Church) verses 37-41: People respond to Peter’s preaching.

Repentance must never be thought of as something we must do before we can come back to God. Repentance describes what coming to God is. You can’t turn towards God without turning from the things He is against.

"When repentance comes, something happens to the past. There is God’s forgiveness for what lies behind. Let us be quite clear that the consequences of sins are not wiped out. Not even God can do that. When we sin, we may well do something to ourselves and to others which cannot be undone. Let us look at it this way. When we were young and had done something bad, there was an invisible barrier between us and our mother. But when we went and said we were sorry, the old relationship was restored, and everything was right between us again. Forgiveness does not abolish the consequences of what we have done, but it puts us right with God. When repentance comes, something happens for the future. We receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, and in that power we can win battles we never thought to win and resist things which by ourselves we would have been powerless to resist." (Barclay)

How does the Holy Spirit use the Gospel to get to peoples hearts?
What is the conviction of the Holy Spirit?
Do sinners ever seek God?
Peter invites the multitude to repent and to come to Jesus.
What is the Biblical definition of repentance?
Can we turn to God without repentance?
What does it mean when a person is baptized?
Is the gift of the Holy Spirit still offered in our present day?
Is salvation offered to all of humanity?
Does society continue to become more perverse as time progresses?
3,120 people response to Peter’s sermon.

5/20/15 - 2 Thessalonians 2:13-3:0
5/24/15 - Our Call to Ministry (I Thessalonians 2:1-12)
5/24/15 - Genesis 3:15-4:1-26
5/24/15 - Luke 8:26-39

Chaplain

Quote of the day:

"We will never be able to define evil until we have first been able to define what life’s purpose is. Evil is a deviation; it is a deprivation; it is a false move in a direction. If I were to take a motor car and run down somebody on the street, how can they blame the motorcar for being used as a weapon? That is not the purpose of the motorcar. How can we blame human beings for not being able to define evil if they do not even know what the purpose of life is all about?" (Zacharias)

Today's blog is on Acts 2 (The Holy Spirit Is Poured Out On the Church) verses 42-47: The life of these first believers.

Samples from the study:

"These were the four institutions of the early church. First of all, the apostles' doctrine: the study of the Word of God. Second, the fellowship: the koinonia--a very interesting Greek word. Its implications are beyond translation into English. But this coming together, interrelating, becoming a part of each other, a strong bond and tie and communion and commonness and fellowship. Breaking of bread, the symbol of that inner relationship and prayers. Many of the things that the church does today are not listed here. I think a lot of the things that the church does today are extraneous and supercilious, and we'd do well to let them die a natural death instead of trying to keep them alive by artificial means." (Smith)

The Christian life is meant to be full of fellowship, of sharing one with another:

We share the same Lord Jesus.
We share the same guide for life.
We share the same love for God
We share the same desire to worship Him.
We share the same struggles.
We share the same victories
We share the same job of living for Him.
We share the same joy of communicating the gospel.

Summary of the characteristics of the early Church: the apostles' doctrine, fellowship, communion, & praying.
What is the model blueprint for all Biblical churches?
How was the presence of the power of God perceived by nonbelievers at Pentecost?
Was the early church communist?
How the first believers shared in the common life of Jesus.
Did the early Church live solitary lives?
Does the Bible say anything about grumpy Christians?
Why did the early church grow so fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom