• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Seeing WW2-era vehicles and ships on this scale with all those extras is just so damn cool. I'm definitely making it a point to see this one in IMAX.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
1p6DdSt.jpg

Ever since I saw that video about how the Coen brothers make dialogue in movies, it bothers me to see an over the shoulder view of dialogues.

DMczaf

https://indierevolver.com/2016/06/0...ion-ww2-plane-for-christopher-nolan-to-crash/

Christopher Nolan has been hard at work shooting Dunkirk for almost a month now and I’ve been hearing some interesting details from inside the production. Not surprisingly, the detail oriented director is shooting practically as much as possible, using real WW2 era warships at the site of the original battle in Dunkirk, France until the first week or July before moving to Holland, the U.K. and then Los Angeles.

For the unfamiliar, Dunkirk is the true story centering on the rescue of 330,000 British, French and Belgium Allied troops after Germany effectively cut off and surrounded them at the harbor of Dunkirk, France during World War 2. The operation, consisting of over 800 boats is considered by many to be the greatest military operation in the history of mankind.

To bring the amazing true story to life Nolan has enlisted an all-star cast consisting of Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy and Fionn Whitehead, with smaller roles being filled out by Aneurin Barnard, Harry Styles, James D’Arcy, Jack Lowden and Barry Keoghan.

A source tells me that Warner Brothers recently signed a five million dollar check to purchase a vintage WW2 aircraft, (possibly a German Luftwafee) which will be outfitted with IMAX cameras to be used in what are sure to be some impressive sequences in the film. And when they’re done, they are going to crash it.

Buying and crashing a five million dollar plane might seem lavish and outrageous, but the source tells me that internally Warner Brothers are expecting Dunkirk to perform similarly to Nolan’s surprise runaway hit Inception, which earned more than $825M at the box office in 2010. Does Nolan really need to destroy an important piece of history? Probably not. Will it look amazing? I’m certain it will, but in an age of convincing digital effects it seems a bit unconscionable to me.

Dunkirk is set for release on July 21, 2017, but I’m told we could get our first look via a teaser trailer attached to Suicide Squad on August 5th.

I think WB setting the goal at Inception's $825m ww, for a movie about Dunkirk, is a little high...goal should be more around $700m, ala Interstellar. Especially with how crowded next summer is.

Should be even lower than that. 500 million would be a good target.

God damn I love how this dude needs to go practical with his big scenes most of the time. Shit is gonna look great.

It's kind of messed that they are gonna explode a piece of history though but damn that scene will rock.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't recall a single WW2 film that has crossed 500M. Saving Private Ryan was impressive considering it was released 18 years ago and was the highest grossing film (domestic) in 1998.

JB1981

Don't see the NA and Chinese audiences coming out for this one. Personally I can't wait to see it but i don't see it doing better than Interstellar for example.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Couldn't they have built a plane that looks really, really similar without a) spending $5 million and b) destroying a small piece of history? In Nolan I Trust.

Y-Z

The Movie is gonna b filmed in My backyard basicly. I live in a small village at the Ijsselmeer in Holland where some extensive filming is happening soon. Hope i can catch a glimpse as I have a lakeside view from My house. Would also be awesome to find Nolan or hardy in My local bar, but i think chances are slim for that haha! A crew of 250 is staying here at least.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Shieeet, crashing an actual WWII plane? Nolan is going even further with the practical effects haha.

If only Interstellar had actually used space footage. Smh. Missed opportunity, Nolan.

I'm getting kind of nervous that Warner is hoping for Inception like gains, specially after Interstellar got less than that, but we'll see.

Shieeet, crashing an actual WWII plane? Nolan is going even further with the practical effects haha.

If only Interstellar had actually used space footage. Smh. Missed opportunity, Nolan.

I'm getting kind of nervous that Warner is hoping for Inception like gains, specially after Interstellar got less than that, but we'll see.
Inception had a few things in its favor tho. Leo, summer relase, and lastly that summer was one of the worst summer movies available and inception came like a saving grace. Also the hype for dark knight

Arnie7

Banned
This is defiantly not just a war film.

Nolan is planning something big here. No way do they expect to reach inception figures unless there is some sci fi or action twist to it.

Inception had a few things in its favor tho. Leo, summer relase, and lastly that summer was one of the worst summer movies available and inception came like a saving grace. Also the hype for dark knight

And that incredible teaser trailer. BROOOOOOMMM! Horn sound. Literally stood out from any out there. Got everyone interested.

I hope WB expecting Inception numbers doesn't mean this will be a PG13 war film, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means.

I want an unflinching Nolan. Getting tired of Blockbuster Nolan.

4Tran

They're planning to crash a historical plane just to make a film? That's pretty awful.

And who would characterize Dunkirk as "the greatest military operation"? It was a defeat, so it should be somewhere way down on the list.

The last time Nolan did a long shot type scene that I can remember is in Memento.

although it just shot of Guy Pearce walking into a building.

Actually the Inception Hallway fight was one shot, but That doesn't really count.

Nolan does quick cuts a lot tho, expect those

Id love to see something like the long shot of the attack on the canal in the Longest Day. Nolan is one of the few modern directors with the clout and inclination to pull something like that off, with the sheer number of extras and pyrotechnics.

wachie

I hope WB expecting Inception numbers doesn't mean this will be a PG13 war film, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means.

This is as funny as hoping Avatar 2, 3, 4 & 5 are all PG-13.

They're planning to crash a historical plane just to make a film? That's pretty awful.

And who would characterize Dunkirk as "the greatest military operation"? It was a defeat, so it should be somewhere way down on the list.

It was a Successful operation since it was meant as a rescued of Allies soldiers, their planned worked and saved 300,000 soldiers. I think Nolan is focusing on the escape aspect, not the battle .It's never been consider a win, but the escape they have an impact since afterward I believe the battle of Britain occurred

shira

Buying and crashing a five million dollar plane might seem lavish and outrageous, but the source tells me that internally Warner Brothers are expecting Dunkirk to perform similarly to Nolan’s surprise runaway hit Inception, which earned more than $825M at the box office in 2010. Does Nolan really need to destroy an important piece of history? Probably not. Will it look amazing? I’m certain it will, but in an age of convincing digital effects it seems a bit unconscionable to me.

825M+ for a gritty war drama. idk if Nolan can pull those kind of WW bo

samn

This is defiantly not just a war film.

Nolan is planning something big here. No way do they expect to reach inception figures unless there is some sci fi or action twist to it.

And that incredible teaser trailer. BROOOOOOMMM! Horn sound. Literally stood out from any out there. Got everyone interested.

the twist is HARRY STYLES

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Synopsis:
Unsatisfied because of the lack of critical acclaim surrounding Interstellar -his latest attempt at grabbing himself an oscar- director Christopher Nolan has decided to go the tried and true route of making a WWII film.

Too bad only a few directors can pull it off genuinely (i.e. Spielberg) without it feeling like a forced thing.

Synopsis:

Too bad only a few directors can pull it off genuinely (i.e. Spielberg) without it feeling like a forced thing.
Ahh the Nolan making a movie is attempt to get oscar posts. Can you tell me what Chris likes to do on the weekends, what sports he likes, since you know him so well? Please share some extra information with us. I'm always interested in gaffers who clearly know these famous people on a personal level to give such great insight. Tell us more!

it looks real because it is real.

Wonder if this is gonna be R-rated
Not if they want to make $800m at the box office, but then again Deadpool has change the game. It's up to marketing and critical reception to be on point and thankfully WB knows how to market. Interstellar could have done better had it not been for the shitty marketing of Paramount (WB only had foreign marketing rights).

I think they could do it (maybe somewhere between 700 and 800). Spider-Man comes out 2 weeks before this releases and the 3rd planet of the apes 1 week. After those, the only eye catchers are a Jumanji reboot, a Disney Live action film and Ridley's Alien Covenant.

4Tran

It was a Successful operation since it was meant as a rescued of Allies soldiers, their planned worked and saved 300,000 soldiers. I think Nolan is focusing on the escape aspect, not the battle .It's never been consider a win, but the escape they have an impact since afterward I believe the battle of Britain occurred
The problem is that it was a defeat, and a devastating one at that. And when you compare it to the brilliance of Fall Gelb, it looks really bad. All of the success garnered from Dunkirk was pure propaganda aimed at giving the British hope.

I don't think that it's particularly hard to make a good war film. By default, they come with all the elements that make a good film other than romance.

On a side note, I don't think that Spielberg did that great a job. The Omaha Beach sequence was riveting, but the rest of the film fell far short of that height.

They should really go with a relic plane instead of piece of history. This is not like Fury, were David Ayer used the world's last functional German Tiger Tank and used a fake model when it need to be destroyed for the movie's story.

We're getting an alt history film. I can feel it. A normal war film isn't high concept enough for Nolan!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

It would be great if they allowed him to do it right, but until I see limb props flying in set pictures, I'm not holding my breath.

Not if they want to make $800m at the box office, but then again Deadpool has change the game. It's up to marketing and critical reception to be on point and thankfully WB knows how to market. Interstellar could have done better had it not been for the shitty marketing of Paramount (WB only had foreign marketing rights).

I think they could do it (maybe somewhere between 700 and 800). Spider-Man comes out 2 weeks before this releases and the 3rd planet of the apes 1 week. After those, the only eye catchers are a Jumanji reboot, a Disney Live action film and Ridley's Alien Covenant.

Interstellar marketing rocked dude.

And war movies just aren't big smash successes unless you hit some kind of demo like American Sniper did with a lot of Republican audiences.

Nolan will bring in a big OW but I think they will be lucky to even make Interstellar gross overall.

Hopefully WB is happy with it though. I want this guy to keep getting his carte blanche. Aside from Spielberg and Cameron, who are getting old, he is the only one doing something interesting in the blockbuster landscape right now. And those casts he lands...god damn.

effzee

I wonder why he switched up his VFX director? His movies usually have top notch effects, both computer generated and the practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom