• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never thought there would be a British orientated WW2 Hollywood film. Nor one on an event which my grandfather was part of. Hope it turns out great.

MJPIA

My boss is friends with someone involved in the movie and I've been told the rumor about crashing an original aircraft is false and it was a case of someone hearing something and misunderstanding.
Even without knowing that I'd peg the chance of them crashing an original aircraft as very slim for multiple reasons.
Surviving flyable early war aircraft are few and far between and the people who own those aircraft don't really care about money and are pretty protective of their aircraft.
And as someone involved in it the warbird community is very close-knit, the backlash against anyone who sold their aircraft full well knowing it would be destroyed would be tremendous and even more so if it was a rarer early model.

It's not to say that they aren't going to use original aircraft for scenes and crashing something, there are quite a few full scale replicas flying around of various aircraft, companies making new parts and flugwerks has much original tooling and is making fw190s with Russian engines that are pretty much identical to their wartime brethren that they might acquire and modify some sort of replica aircraft to wreck for the film but I don't see any chance of it being original.

Plus the numbers don't make sense, there are few aircraft worth 5 million that would be of use in the film.
Last year a mk.1 spitfire sold for around 4.4 million usd and the chance of them getting a aircraft like that to destroy is practically impossible especially when you could buy/make a ton of replicas for that price and no one would be able to tell the difference between the twisted mangled wreckage of a original or replica that slammed into the ground going several hundred knots.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Don't you dare challenge the Nolan, MJPIA.

But seriously, I'm glad that it was a bad game of telephone. Better to conserve a piece of history.

DMczaf

hL68tvS.jpg

Ck1IIiiWgAAYnM1.jpg:large

I'm assuming they're using those for lighting reference when the VFX teams create some of the planes digitally.

Unless Nolan is actually filming with working miniatures for certain shots.

He has miniatures in every movie for filming scenes in:

Ships in Interstellar
Base explosion in Inception
The tumbler from TDK

Y-Z

He has miniatures in every movie for filming scenes in:

Ships in Interstellar
Base explosion in Inception
The tumbler from TDK

I can confirm there are miniature airplanes in this one. The planes are kind of visible from outside the set here, their are also pictures in the local media. They apparently use a catapult to launch and crash them. Today was the first Day of shooting on the lake behind My house. Pretty cool to see the warships here.

Also a fun fact. They paid the local ferry to paint his boat in camo colours so hé wont interfere with the filming.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
[balevoice]WHERE IS IT, WHERE IS THE TRAILER?![/balevoice]

I need it in my life to make this a perfect evening after the DC stuff. And please gimme some of that Zimmer score.

Nolan teasers are always great. Hell his Dark Knight had only dialogue, but I feel his inception was the best because it you had no ideas what you watched

DMczaf

http://www.empireonline.com/people/christopher-nolan/mark-rylance-talks-christopher-nolan-dunkirk/

“Chris is the most serious and interesting filmmaker,” Rylance told us when he popped along to the Empire Podcast pod booth recently. “Every great filmmaker at some moment makes a war film. But Chris’ script-writing is so brilliant that I think he has the potential to make a very, very powerful and simple, pure war film about a miraculous loss. I think it has the potential to be just a marvellous film.”

As with every Nolan film, it sounds like the stakes will be incredibly high and proceedings incredibly tense – although we highly doubt there’ll be a rug-pulling twist this time around. “With some of those old war films you used to get a lot of build-up, you play the guessing game: who’s going to die and who’s going to live. This one has none of that. It’s just BANG! Straight into the middle of a desperate situation.”

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping the trailer had dropped :(

Also lol @ that GIF.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
My guess is next week Tuesday or Wednesday.

Unless we get that awesome Nokia 240p potato cam footage.

I'll watch the teaser and maybe the first trailer. After that: Total blackout. Only with Nolan movies am I spoiler sensitive.

The Hermit

With Nolan the hype is usually greater than the movie... so I dunno

Dark Knight was the exception, I was hyped as Hell and it was even better.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It's a true story, you know :p

Yeah but I want to be blown away in the theater, I love Nolan movies and want to go in without knowing details. Did the same with Interstellar, what an experience that was.

jett

D-Member
On preparation of the teaser, here are all of Nolan's teasers

Batman Begins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ohiQ6cLRsE

TDK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWw0ov-cAUg

Inception

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5VDKVqvo8M

TDKR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Humz3ONgk

Interstellar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WzHXI5HizQ

Favorite : Interstellar

Runner-up : Batman Begins

As far as teasers that show nothing go, TDK is tops.

But yeah Interstellar is my favorite teaser ever.

Ashhong

It's amazing that those are his last 5 movies. The only slightly let down was TDKR to me, but the rest were incredible to me. Has to be one of the most consistent directors in the game right now. And maybe my favorite now that I think about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom