• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

antovolk

Usually when a brand new trailer is attached to a new movie, it only applies to the American release. Marketing and distribution varies around the world, so it won't be the same.
The first screenings of SS are in France tonight.

For what it's worth - I know UK and Australian cinemas have too received the teaser, and I believe France should be too. Usually with new Nolan trailers WB have been good and having them out theatrically at same time in most major markets.

UrbanRats

Maybe it'll be like the trailer for The Great Wall.

"300,000 evacuated"

"10,000 losses"

"What were they trying"

"to protect?"

*fast cuts showing glimpses of a secret tesla weapon*

Sounds like Kojima.

"Nikola Tesla..."
*Cue stock footage explaining who Tesla was*

xam3l

I believed in other directors too.

I dont want him to fail me just now. It's a question of taste. Prove me wrong Nolan.

antovolk

Any Australians here seeing SS at midnight?

I know WB sent the trailer to theatres there so here's hoping for some reactions :D

Ashhong

I don't think there is a director in the world that they don't advertise in that way.

JAMES CAMERON, director of Terminator, Titanic, Avatar

Save WB, Nolan.
Imagine if a WWII movie in the summer sells more than the first time Batman, Supes & Wonderwoman are in a movie together. WHAT A TIME TO BE (Nolan) ALIVE

I have no doubt the movie will be excellent as usual, but I still wish he would have done something that isn't based on the past. His IPs are the best and some of the most interesting of the genres he jumps on. Maybe he wanted to do this, or maybe it's a legacy thing where he wants to do a WWI or WWII movie, or both.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Apparently the teaser has arrived at theaters, one projectionist watched it:
http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=16799&start=340

Summary:
-Teaser focuses on the tone of the movie, doesn't focus on the actors.
-Nolan is the only name seen. "From Christopher Nolan. Director of the Dark Knight Trilogy, Inception, and Interstellar"
-No music, just the sound of something ticking.

That's a Nolan teaser alright.

I have no doubt the movie will be excellent as usual, but I still wish he would have done something that isn't based on the past. His IPs are the best and some of the most interesting of the genres he jumps on. Maybe he wanted to do this, or maybe it's a legacy thing where he wants to do a WWI or WWII movie, or both.
Nolan's had an itch to do historical movies for a while now. He was originally slated to do a Howard Hughes film at some point and I think he was attached in some way to a project involving the 1906 San Fran earthquake (or was that his brother?). Both projects have been canned at this point though.

munchie64

Asked one of my friends at the midnight screening for SS to tell me if there's a trailer, but I don't know if they'll tell me till after the film is over. Doubt I'll stay up for that haha

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I remember the Avatar trailer flashing almost every single damn movie title under Cameron

jett

D-Member
I remember the Avatar trailer flashing almost every single damn movie title under Cameron

Yeah.

No one cares about Spielberg, we in the Nolanverse now.

mYJHM4u.gif

I'd argue Tarantino is as big a draw too tbh

You're right, Tarantino is probably another one where you don't need to mention his movies to know who he is.

DMczaf

Apparently the teaser has arrived at theaters, one projectionist watched it:
http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=16799&start=340

Summary:
-Teaser focuses on the tone of the movie, doesn't focus on the actors.
-Nolan is the only name seen. "From Christopher Nolan. Director of the Dark Knight Trilogy, Inception, and Interstellar"
-No music, just the sound of something ticking.

He followed up

"The biggest takeaway for me is TONE because that's been the question mark on this project. Like, how does Nolan take a war movie and put it through his lense. But it's VERY clear IMMEDIATELY that this is a Nolan war movie."

giphy.gif

Jb

I'd argue Tarantino is as big a draw too tbh

Same with Scorsese, they don't say "from the director of Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. It would be interesting to see when exactly in his career they stopped referring to his past work in trailers.

Guzim

He followed up

"The biggest takeaway for me is TONE because that's been the question mark on this project. Like, how does Nolan take a war movie and put it through his lense. But it's VERY clear IMMEDIATELY that this is a Nolan war movie."

giphy.gif
We hungry.

Blader

That's a Nolan teaser alright.

Nolan's had an itch to do historical movies for a while now. He was originally slated to do a Howard Hughes film at some point and I think he was attached in some way to a project involving the 1906 San Fran earthquake (or was that his brother?). Both projects have been canned at this point though.

That was Brad Bird iirc.

Ashhong

Usually if they are attached to a new movie they come out the day before or on the movie's release date. Nobody wants to deal with potato cams anymore..

Simo

Usually if they are attached to a new movie they come out the day before or on the movie's release date. Nobody wants to deal with potato cams anymore..

That didn't stop Interstellar IIRC? I remember potato cams of the teaser and didn't the teaser release the following week on Monday?

Suicide Squad is out in Europe and doesn't have the Dunkirk trailer but then that doesn't really mean much as their trailer distribution is usually up to the theater and manager. lol

Spielbergo is the only director in the world that gets that distinction.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Director&id=christophernolan.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=stevenspielberg.htm

lol, Nolan already has 2 movies that have sold more than anything Spielbergo has done. He's just getting started. Also, I'd like to personally invite you to this decade where Spielbergo is irrelevant.

With TDKR it's Nolans worst.
mj-laughing.gif

Blader

Really? I remember at least one of the Nolan brothers being attached to it.

Admittedly I'm hazy on the details considering I'm drawing from 2011 memories

Maybe Jonah might have been attached to it to write, but I think Bird was always the director.

The only movies I'm aware of that Chris was attached to direct but dropped out of were the Howard Hughes movie and the Prisoner remake.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Really loved Interstellar but it's not in the top 3 for me. I don't know if it was this thread.. but it was funny. Several people were making a top 5 from best to worst of Nolan's and almost none were ever the same. GOATlan with that diversity.

nolan-pacino-tea-o.gif

The score, visuals, scope and heart of Interstellar will always make it one of my favourite movies. I just love it. After that it's hard to say, I love Inception as well as the TDK trilogy (with TDKR being my favourite). But then you have Memento, Prestige and Insomnia.

onlyproblemwithnolanisthathesalmosttoogood.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom