• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to imagine WB are legit scared of Nolan.
The fact that WB has not produced an Inception sequel or milked the TDK Trilogy in any way (video games, sequel, etc) should tell you how scared they are of pushing him away.
He could totally take over their entire film division if he wanted to. And I'm sure more than a few execs secretly hope something like this plays out at Hall H next year.

Snyder: "Well uhhh.... it's been a difficult year and half for all of us, to say the slightest. Things have been said, memes have been generated. But that's behind us now. I gave it my best fucking shot, and goddammit, we tried to make films for the fans, for real people. But it hasn't worked. The good news is, as they say, the night is darkest just before the dawn..."

Sexy British Voice: "Light it up."

fJCJkVk.gif

I thought Nolan was pretty much bulletproof because WB love him since all his films wrapped on time and under budget? lol

Based on stuff tossed around online from sources, it sounds like Warner Bros loves him, but the feeling might not be mutual. However, where else is Nolan going to go? Fox, Universal, or Paramount? Like I said, word is he has a good relationship with Alan Horn who he left Warner Bros for Disney, Disney just doesn't have interest in making the films Nolan has interest in or he probably would have jumped ship.

DMczaf

Never forced 3D onto any of his films.

That too.

Also, Nolan asked Paramount to add WB as a distribution partner for Interstellar.

What did WB get? International distribution rights.

Domestic: $188,020,017 27.8%
+ Foreign: $487,100,000 72.2%
= Worldwide: $675,120,017

lol

Dunkirk looks to be Nolan's big, sweeping epic thing. As much as I want to see it, I wish he'd go back to making small scale, tightly focused narratives. Insomnia doesn't get any love around these parts :(

Dunkirk looks to be Nolan's big, sweeping epic thing. As much as I want to see it, I wish he'd go back to making small scale, tightly focused narratives. Insomnia doesn't get any love around these parts :(

insomnia's kind of dull. i like the actors in it though.

but memento and prestige. yeah that would be cool to see him go back to again. but i also like that he's making big budget original properties. you're not seeing an inception or interstellar from anybody else these days.

I checked for curiosity and Nolan is the 6th highest grossing director, even with Infilation it's pretty impressive.

Wish he went back to prestige or Memento type films. Love thos low budget dramas

I echo the sentiment that I'd love to see Nolan go back and direct something with a sub 100M budget. I don't want him to go back to that exclusively, but it'd be cool if that was the goal of his next project.

insomnia's kind of dull. i like the actors in it though.

but memento and prestige. yeah that would be cool to see him go back to again. but i also like that he's making big budget original properties. you're not seeing an inception or interstellar from anybody else these days.
Insomnia was awesome. I can see why it can be seen boring but I really love the plot and the performances. Sleepy Alaskan town where sun doesn't set, and a detective with Insomnia to solve a murder case. Lot of people don't notice but Insomnia has truly amazing lighting and camera shots.

Edit: Interrogation scene

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The Prestige is easily one of my Top Five movies of all time. I adore that movie. And I just love showing it to people who are uninitiated
If you don't know the twist - or that there's one coming - it hits HARD. And the best part? They shove it in your face the whole movie - even telling you, pretty much, and yet it goes unnoticed.
. Just absolute masterclass storytelling.

MattyG

Banned
The Prestige is easily one of my Top Five movies of all time. I adore that movie. And I just love showing it to people who are uninitiated
If you don't know the twist - or that there's one coming - it hits HARD. And the best part? They shove it in your face the whole movie - even telling you, pretty much, and yet it goes unnoticed.
I just watched it, and even
knowing the twist
, it still works so well. Loved it.

Yeah that's what I loved about it the second time.
"Sometimes you love magic more" I was oooooohhhh now I get it

Edit: Insomnia was good, but felt very by the books, but that's only because I already knew this was just a remake of sorts.

Didn't the writer of the book basically say Nolan made the superior version (I believe Nolan changed the ending too) and everyone should just watch it instead?

Simo

"In Theaters and Special Engagements in 70mm, 35mm and IMAX Film".

Oh really.

I forgot, how did they do Interstellar's release? I seem to recall they did a 70mm screening right but wasn't there some issues with the audio?

antovolk

"In Theaters and Special Engagements in 70mm, 35mm and IMAX Film".

Oh really.

I forgot, how did they do Interstellar's release? I seem to recall they did a 70mm screening right but wasn't there some issues with the audio?

Apparently some IMAX 70mm theatres had issues with audio. Which were then fixed.

And yeah - Interstellar was done the same way and promoted the same way too once the final trailer came out. They even released it a few days early in 35 and 70mm/IMAX 70mm

Simo

Apparently some IMAX 70mm theatres had issues with audio. Which were then fixed.

And yeah - Interstellar was done the same way and promoted the same way too once the final trailer came out. They even released it a few days early in 35 and 70mm/IMAX 70mm

Ah cool. Thanks for the info! I missed those screenings because I was on vacation back home in England at the time so I couldn't remember what they did for the film's 70mm release. lol

This has to be R-rated right? You can't do this as another one of Nolan's PG-13: 'not quite, but mostly family friendly' action/adventures, right?

I'm hopeful that because this is about WWII a and not heady scifi concepts he'll cut down on those brutal info dumps. Not as hopeful that he'll cut down on the schmaltzy on the nose characters voicing the theme of the movie directly.

Still in for some awesome IMAX WWII action tho.

Pachimari

Insomnia is probably my favorite Nolan film. Although I haven't seen The Prestige or Interstellar yet.

The score, visuals, scope and heart of Interstellar will always make it one of my favourite movies. I just love it. After that it's hard to say, I love Inception as well as the TDK trilogy (with TDKR being my favourite). But then you have Memento, Prestige and Insomnia.

onlyproblemwithnolanisthathesalmosttoogood.jpeg
It's definitely one of the GOAT space movies, but Dark Knight, Inception & The Prestige fall into my top 3 and some of my favorite movies of all time.
I don't understand how people look forward to Nolan's movies while shit on Inception/Interstellar. Interstellar is AWFUL? fuck outta here!!
Can't even take people seriously who hate on Inception and love movies to be honest.

Why is it a shame? The targets in the movie have been trained against dream thiefs. The movie stresses that they can't make the dream too crazy or it will tip off the dreamer that he/she has been invaded. The movie establishes its rules quite clearly.
I guess he got confused when they were shoving too much exposition to him.
I like to imagine WB are legit scared of Nolan.
WB let Nolan do whatever the fuck he wants from what's been leaked and said. And it makes sense, since he makes every movie on time (or earlier than the target), makes them money which is most important & his movies are some of the best of that year.
I don't know if I want that since Nolan is pretty much the only guy making blockbuster original IPs that are actually interesting/unique. Everything else is pretty much reboot/sequels/CMB or some shitty (or boring/mediocre) predictable movie.
GOATlan killed it. Watched this several times and knowing it so many times after the first just makes it worth watching. One of my favorite twists.
Didn't the writer of the book basically say Nolan made the superior version (I believe Nolan changed the ending too) and everyone should just watch it instead?
GOATlan

I'm going to check out those teaser links of his previous movies. Shame for people watching crappy bootlegs instead of waiting a day or two for the real thing.

Solo

I highly doubt that Nolan will ever make a Memento or Prestige type of film again. He's going to make big budget mass appeal films for the foreseeable future.

kswiston

I highly doubt that Nolan will ever make a Memento or Prestige type of film again. He's going to make big budget mass appeal films for the foreseeable future.

I'm OK with that given the state of blockbusters currently. There are more than enough people making interesting low budget films.

Solo

I'm OK with that given the state of blockbusters currently. There are more than enough people making interesting low budget films.

For sure. Whatever I feel about Nolan, his strengths and his weaknesses, one thing I'll never hold against him is that, Batman aside, he seems dedicated to making original films, which I can't say too many others are.

As an aside, I thought Interstellar was a horrendous mess though, one that made me appreciate Inception a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom