• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

I don't know about the stunt team, but he changed his VFX supervisor for the first time in over a decade to Andrew Jackson, visual effects supervisor for Fury Road

Odd. Visuals and effects have never been an issue and would definitely be considered the strong point.

Gore and language don't make up for writing and filmmaking. But war movies it bothers me. Showing how awful war is should be part of every war movie and that requires an R rating.
I think this is where 85% of war movies fail though in that they simultaneously want to make you feel good and right and true by the end of the film.... No one's trying to see the complexity of "who shot who over what and is there a difference in how we bleed?".

Gimme kids singing Mickey Mouse in the wreckage of a burning village, not a smiling Tom Hanks in muh war films please. Receipts and accolades don't justify it for many a studio though.

Blader

Do some of you guys think Saving Private Ryan was the first movie to show how awful war is?

I love SPR a lot, but there have been great, gore-less war movies before it.

Do some of you guys think Saving Private Ryan was the first movie to show how awful war is?

In terms of WWII films, it's the earliest American one (that I am aware of) that I would call "high impact". You'd probably look more to Vietnam films if you wanted stuff like that before SPR.

Outside of America I recall viewing the Soviet film Come and See which was pretty fucking intense.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Dunkirk' promotional flyer in Japan lol

https://twitter.com/massive_ninja/status/858629061014208514

C-p2kVSVoAAa4E7.jpg
Japan knows what's up.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PSA: Dont watch this trailer guys. Trailers nowadays spoil everything. it's fine to watch the first teaser but 2 and 3rd trailers are designed to show as much as possible. they are for the dumb public who want to see as much of the movie before they decide on you.

people in this thread have already made up their minds. its a nolan, we are gonna watch it. Dont do this to yourselves.

ive been watching movies without seeing trailers since Matrix Reloaded and its been an amazing experience. even though ive recently started to give the first trailers a watch, it's been great to go in knowing nothing about the plot.

berzeli

Banned
PSA: Dont watch this trailer guys. Trailers nowadays spoil everything. it's fine to watch the first teaser but 2 and 3rd trailers are designed to show as much as possible. they are for the dumb public who want to see as much of the movie before they decide on you.

people in this thread have already made up their minds. its a nolan, we are gonna watch it. Dont do this to yourselves.

ive been watching movies without seeing trailers since Matrix Reloaded and its been an amazing experience. even though ive recently started to give the first trailers a watch, it's been great to go in knowing nothing about the plot.

You do realise that this is based on a very famous event that happened 75 years ago? Like that is the plot of it. That incredibly notable thing that happened in WWII which you probably should already be somewhat familiar with (especially if you're not part of the "dumb public").

Like, oh no, the trailer will spoil the fact that they fight for their lives whilst waiting to be rescued by a ragtag armada. The horror. The horror of it all.

shira

Dat marketing team lul

[spoilers] germany wins? [/spoilers]

Icolin

Banned

Thin Red Line came out in the same year and is infinitely better in that regard, for one. And then there's Schindler's List, Full Metal Jacket, etc etc etc.

If a movie is ruined just by knowing a few plot details, then it's not a very good movie, imo.

Ithil

Spoiler alert, there is a evacuation of many soldiers from Dunkirk.

Nolan hasn't made a single trailer that has spoiled everything, or even a significant amount of his movies, and I doubt this movie will be the first. You're just assuming you're seeing more of the plot than you actually are

JB1981

Thin Red Line came out in the same year and is infinitely better in that regard, for one. And then there's Schindler's List, Full Metal Jacket, etc etc etc.

I remember seeing both in '98 and I was kind of a Spielberg fanboy at the time and I would not entertain the possibility that Malick made the better war film. But I think he did. The Thin Red Line has images that stuck with me to this day. It was an incredible experience in the cinema.

SlimySnake

You do realise that this is based on a very famous event that happened 75 years ago? Like that is the plot of it. That incredibly notable thing that happened in WWII which you probably should already be somewhat familiar with (especially if you're not part of the "dumb public").

Like, oh no, the trailer will spoil the fact that they fight for their lives whilst waiting to be rescued by a ragtag armada. The horror. The horror of it all.

By that logic, why go see the movie at all? We all know the evacuation was a success. We all know what happened so why watch it?

We watch it because we want to see Nolan's version of it. We want to see what plot there is besides just the evacuation. Who the main characters are and what purpose they serve. I refuse to believe Nolan would make a simple evacuation movie. there has to be more.

Interstellar had like four trailers that show all the planets, the amazing waves setpiece, and revealed the wormhole and blackhole plot points. I had no idea the movie was going to tackle that and it was brilliant to see Nolan go from wormholes to new gravity planets to relativity to frozen planets and then finally into a freaking black hole. I doubt i wouldve been that impressed if the element of surprise was not there. i mean whats the point of watching a movie when you already know whats going to happen.

One of my favorite movie watching experience was watching History of Violence. my brother dragged me to see it. i had no idea what it was and was genuinely surprised by how the story unfolded.

People who watch trailers are missing out on that element of surprise.

xam3l

By that logic, why go see the movie at all? We all know the evacuation was a success. We all know what happened so why watch it?

We watch it because we want to see Nolan's version of it. We want to see what plot there is besides just the evacuation. Who the main characters are and what purpose they serve. I refuse to believe Nolan would make a simple evacuation movie. there has to be more.

Interstellar had like four trailers that show all the planets, the amazing waves setpiece, and revealed the wormhole and blackhole plot points. I had no idea the movie was going to tackle that and it was brilliant to see Nolan go from wormholes to new gravity planets to relativity to frozen planets and then finally into a freaking black hole. I doubt i wouldve been that impressed if the element of surprise was not there. i mean whats the point of watching a movie when you already know whats going to happen.

One of my favorite movie watching experience was watching History of Violence. my brother dragged me to see it. i had no idea what it was and was genuinely surprised by how the story unfolded.

You dont watch trailers, you sound so cool. Good for you

berzeli

Banned

pls stop.

You don't want to watch the trailer because you feel that it enhances your moviegoing experience, go right ahead. It's just your belittling attitude, e.g. the usage of "dumb public", is needlessly hostile to those with a differing opinion.
And it's especially funny to hear someone complain about spoilers for a historical event.

SlimySnake

You dont watch trailers, you sound so cool. Good for you

pls stop.

wow. only on gaf that innocuous post would result in people getting so defensive.

I am not making you not watch the trailers lol. it was a PSA after all. go in without watching the trailer and i think you will have a better experience. take it or leave it. ignore the post if you wont. why get so upset over it? bizarre.

and i made the distinction that gaf is not the dumb public. are we seriously getting defensive over people who in surveys admitted they want the whole movie spoiled for them?

berzeli

Banned
wow. only on gaf that innocuous post would result in people getting so defensive.

I am not making you not watch the trailers lol. it was a PSA after all. go in without watching the trailer and i think you will have a better experience. take it or leave it. ignore the post if you wont. why get so upset over it? bizarre.

and i made the distinction that gaf is not the dumb public. are we seriously getting defensive over people who in surveys admitted they want the whole movie spoiled for them?

Here. I highlighted the crux of it all.

You think going into a film without seeing the trailer enhances your viewing experience. Others may not share your experience/viewpoint, and I think that your posts are needlessly hostile towards those viewpoints/experiences.
And don't try to read tone into that post, you're not good at it. I'm not upset by your posts, I'm bemused by them (especially there isn't really a plot to spoil with this film).

"Spoilers" don't necessarily ruin a film for everyone, and this spoiler culture obsession over them is way more bizarre than the small amount of pushback you're getting over your posts.

SlimySnake

think that your posts are needlessly hostile towards those viewpoints/experiences.
There is nothing hostile about this post below. At worst you can say it's preachy and maybe a bit cringeworthy seeing as how i was delusional enough to think someone might actually get something out of it. i forgot i was on gaf where everyone takes everything personally and you cant just say something without upsetting someone's feelings.

but if you this this is hostile then i dont know what to tell you.

Loxley

This is the least hyped I've ever been for a Nolan movie. War and historical movies don't interest me at all.

Welp, yep, that'd do it then.

Between the two of them, The Thin Red Line is better at showing the psychological effects of war on the individual soldier, where Ryan is better at showing the shear brutality. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

berzeli

Banned
There is nothing hostile about this post below. At worst you can say it's preachy and maybe a bit cringeworthy seeing as how i was delusional enough to think someone might actually get something out of it. i forgot i was on gaf where everyone takes everything personally and you cant just say something without upsetting someone's feelings.

but if you this this is hostile then i dont know what to tell you.
Yes I think that post was needlessly hostile, as in you could have made your point without resorting to saying things like "[the upcoming trailer] is for dumb people". That is what I mean by needlessly hostile.
Saying "I prefer to not watch trailers and experiencing the film when I watch it" is perfectly fine, I mean I do this for a lot of the stuff I watch. But trying to dissuade others from doing so and inferring that they're stupid for having differing preferences about trailers is just unnecessary.

It becomes amusing when your point about spoilers is a bit moot since we know what this film is about. It is about the evacuation of Dunkirk, it's a bit hard to spoil that one. Adding to that Nolan has already stated how the film is framed, and that isn't really a spoiler either.

Interstellar trailers were indeed a bit spoilery or at least they laid the beats of the story to an extent beyond the necessary. Off course it doesnt help watching them several times.

Icolin

Banned
Between the two of them, The Thin Red Line is better at showing the psychological effects of war on the individual soldier, where Ryan is better at showing the shear brutality. They both have strengths and weaknesses.
Yeah, for sure. Didn't mean to knock Saving Private Ryan or anything, I just find The Thin Red Line a lot more powerful and deft at showing the fucked up effects of war on people psychologically. They both go for different things though, and execute them masterfully.

DMczaf

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ing-time-tom-hardy-harry-styles-a7713231.html

Only last month did Nolan open up about his first film since 2014's Interstellar. Telling the story of Operation Dynamo, a daring plan to rescue 300,000 Allied troops who were surrounded by Nazis soldiers in the French Republic commune during the Second World War, Nolan and editor Lee Smith revealed that the film will be told through three perspectives and will feature “little dialogue.”

While Dunkirk's running time is yet to be confirmed, the official screenplay clocks in at 112 pages which, going by the popular held belief that one page equates to a minute of screen-time, suggests that Dunkirk could be Nolan's shortest film since his debut Following which clocked in at 70 minutes (his next shortest, at 118 minutes, is 2002 psychological thriller Insomnia).

What's more likely is that Smith's statement that the film will feature a small amount of dialogue means that the script is shorter, indicating that Dunkirk could well have a run time more similar to his longer films such as teh Dark Knight trilogy, Inception and Interstellar which all run between two to three hours.

K2Y9PFt.gif

This sounds so good right now. His last few movies have been a bit too bloated. Now dude is making a tight thriller with less reliance on exposition

I like that he decided to switch things up. Movie will likely be fantastic going by the IMAX preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom