• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The IMAX footage was the best 7 minutes i watched last year. I dont care if this movie is rated G. I know it will have that trademark Nolan editing and Hans Zimmer going full Hans Zimmer.

Goddamn that shit was thrilling.

Wait, they are showing the footage infront of King Kong?

The IMAX footage was the best 7 minutes i watched last year. I dont care if this movie is rated G. I know it will have that trademark Nolan editing and Hans Zimmer going full Hans Zimmer.

J87qkbb.jpg

Damn. What a man.

PG-13 confirmed. Will be very amused by the "intense" war sequences.

I think it's totally possible to make an intense and engrossing war movie without having random shots of dudes lying on their backs trying to put their guts back in their bellies crying, "MOM!!!! MOMMY!!!!" and what not. Good war movies were still a thing before Saving Private Ryan.

Man I hope so. I would love some more period accurate dogfights of WWII. They seem so raw.

dogfight was nuts in the prologue. got a view inside of the cockpit and the sound and presentation made it look appropriately chaotic and tense.

i didn't expect this to be R or have much blood tbh. It's relying more on suspense and build up.

Loxley

I see they've decided to join the esteemed company of other prestigious PG-13 war films like War Horse, Pearl Harbor, and Red Tails.

-_-

dogfight was nuts in the prologue. got a view inside of the cockpit and the sound and presentation made it look appropriately chaotic and tense.

i didn't expect this to be R or have much blood tbh. It's relying more on suspense and build up.

I love me some Nolan sound design. Let's go.

I'm actually fine with the PG-13 rating. You can make a good War film, without loads of blood just fine.

Lol at a PG13 war movie, im sorry, but its just embarrassing.

Lol NeoGAF.

Macka

there's going to be like 2 french people in the entirety of the cast huh

one of which will be Marion Cotillard, the other probably Vincent Cassel
I didn't know Vincent Cassel by name, but a google search confirmed that the face I had in mind was the same guy lol.

I don't​ suppose there is going to be much actual fighting. It's mainly going to be a load of people sat a beach getting strafed occasionally and hoping like fuck a boat turns up.

jett

D-Member
I don't​ suppose there is going to be much actual fighting. It's mainly going to be a load of people sat a beach getting strafed occasionally and hoping like fuck a boat turns up.

That or maybe people will drop to the ground like bloodless sacks of potatoes, TDKR style.

PG-13
b4.png

hanging1_2971.jpg

Jeez you people are reactionaries. Gore isn't an essential ingredient of a war film. Do you remember all the gore in The Thin Red Line or the flowery narration and existential narrative? If Dunkirk sucks, it won't be because there was a lack of blood, but because there was weak writing, pacing, or other factors.

DMczaf

http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/...is-like-nothing-youve-ever-seen-before-752098

Fandango: So how, exactly, does Dunkirk push IMAX to the next level?

Christopher Nolan: Really, I think Dunkirk represents the culmination of all of these experiences we’ve had over the years [with IMAX]. How to work with that format, and how to really try to give the audience the most visceral experiential two hours that they can hope for.

2 hours?

i72b82H.gif

Fandango: What is going to surprise audiences the most, especially fans of yours?

Nolan: I think people who know the story of Dunkirk, in particular, may be surprised by the intensity of the experience. It’s a very suspenseful story and we really try to do justice to that. The pacing is relentless, and the story and action scenes are extraordinarily intense. I think the lean, stripped-down nature of that, and how fast it moves, and what it puts you through in this short space of time… I think it has a different rhythm that I’ve worked in before.

i72b82H.gif

Fandango: We’ve also heard Dunkirk is light on dialogue. Talk about that decision.

Nolan: Yeah, you know it’s the kind of film where the visual aspect of the film is dominant right from the get-go. There’s dialogue in the film, but we really tried to approach the storytelling very much from a visual point of view, and an action-and-suspense point of view. Trying to create suspense visually -- a visceral sense of what it would be like to be confronted by this awful paradoxical situation.

i72b82H.gif

Blader

I'm really not familiar with the real Dunkirk story, but wasn't it more of an evacuation than an outright battle? In that context, I think it makes sense there wouldn't be a ton of bodies being blown to pieces, right? It's not Normandy.

But I don't know the history of it much at all (and been actively avoiding details until after the movie :lol), so this is very well all wrong.

a916

I thought that 7 minutes was better than most of Rogue One.

Sulik2

The extraordinary visceral intensity of PG-13 war scenes.

I normally find the call to make everything R incredibly stupid. Gore and language don't make up for writing and filmmaking. But war movies it bothers me. Showing how awful war is should be part of every war movie and that requires an R rating.

JB1981

Light on dialog and heavy on visual storytelling. I'm pumped.

I would like to see this in IMAX but every Nolan movie I have ever seen in IMAX has been so loud and overbearing I simply did not enjoy it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, i love Nolan but he's not capturing the intensity Mel Gibson managed in Hawksaw Ridge. Especially with the PG-13 rating. The 7 minute footage was very suspenseful but the fighting has to start eventually, and once the fighting starts you cant keep it up for an hour or two when you have to cut away from every shot to avoid the gory details.

Maybe he can prove me wrong and he actually has a good story to tell here, but Dunkrik was just an evacuation, a successful one, not a full infantry battle. we will see.

I thought that 7 minutes was better than most of Rogue One.

I actually liked Rouge one somewhat and yet all i could think about after it ended was how awesome Dunkirk looked.

Sounds intense.

So basically a lot of heavy noises, and a chorus playing in the background. Good, good!!

JimiNutz

Banned
Im really surprised it's going to be PG-13 and also a little disappointed but still expecting greatness from Nolan.

I know gore doesn't guarantee anything but I can't help but feel like blood and violence is an inherent part of WWII.

Yes I know great WWII movies existed before the likes of Saving Private Ryan, Schindlers List, The Thin Red Line, Fury etc. but those older WWII movies were also from a completely different era and period.

JB1981

This seems like a passion project that will not make a return on investment. Just don't see it finding a wide audience

This seems like a passion project that will not make a return on investment. Just don't see it finding a wide audience

Christ it's a wonder they make movies that don't have a number after them or a super hero flying around anymore.

By the middle of July viewers and adults in particular might be ready and quite receptive to this...especially if it's good.

Yeah, i love Nolan but he's not capturing the intensity Mel Gibson managed in Hawksaw Ridge. Especially with the PG-13 rating. The 7 minute footage was very suspenseful but the fighting has to start eventually, and once the fighting starts you cant keep it up for an hour or two when you have to cut away from every shot to avoid the gory details.

Maybe he can prove me wrong and he actually has a good story to tell here, but Dunkrik was just an evacuation, a successful one, not a full infantry battle. we will see.

So the movie will suck if it's not a "full infantry battle" and isn't a story worth telling if it's not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom