• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...-adrenaline-rushing-war-epic-dunkirk-46540906

AP: This film has been rated PG-13. Was that a choice you made during production?

Nolan: All of my big blockbuster films have been PG-13. It's a rating I feel comfortable working with totally. "Dunkirk" is not a war film. It's a survival story and first and foremost a suspense film. So while there is a high level of intensity to it, it does not necessarily concern itself with the bloody aspects of combat, which have been so well done in so many films. We were really trying to take a different approach and achieve intensity in a different way. I would really like lots of different types of people to get something out of the experience.

Razorback

PG 13 makes its impossible for this to come close to Saving Private Ryan.

That was the most intense movie experience of my life.

Vibranium

Banned
The fact that it's less of a war movie with more of a survival aspect makes me more interested with the PG-13 rating. Looking forward to seeing how Nolan presents this idea.

As long as it isn't a terrible romance movie like Paschendale was, what a disappointment that was for being a Canadian WW1 story.

dmshaposv

I feel like Mad Max Fury Road has had an influence on Nolan, what with him talking about a lean-mean 2hr film and visual storytelling.

I don't think Nolan is aiming to put out the next Saving Private Ryan. I don't understand why people feel that that's what it should be compared to.

Aurongel

I don't think Nolan is aiming to put out the next Saving Private Ryan. I don't understand why people feel that that's what it should be compared to.
Similarly, I don't know why everyone thinks that SPR is the mold with which this should be made from. As if SPR is the catch all style with which all war films should strive for. It's an incredibly narrow minded approach.

The less this reminds me of SOR, the better. If you guys want an experience similar to SPR then I suggest you just rewatch SPR. The moment Nolan directly models his films from the husk of others is the day cinema suffers a major loss. The opinions in this thread baffle me.

Loxley

To my knowledge Nolan hadn't really spoken about Dunkirk not being an action-focused war film until people started asking why the heck he would make a war film that's PG-13. So until recently I can see why folks would have brought up the top-tier films of the genre for comparison (almost all of which are R-rated). Now that he's clarified what kind of film he's making, the rating makes more sense.

I feel like Mad Max Fury Road has had an influence on Nolan, what with him talking about a lean-mean 2hr film and visual storytelling.

I just think that after TDKR and Interstellar he wanted to step away from the epic 3-hour bloatfests and do a lean, mean thriller that gets people's blood pumping. Basically, think of the climax of Inception but for an entire movie.

DMczaf

Dunkirk' promotional flyer in Japan lol

https://twitter.com/massive_ninja/status/858629061014208514

C-p2kVSVoAAa4E7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom