• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Downhome

This is what your Best Buy receipt should look like, and it should be emailed to you as well if you have one on file with them...

jvMN6Iy.jpg

I was able to run C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome -- "\\media\videos\movies\A\AIRPLANE.m4v" and it opened up the movie in a tab. Didn't play, but that might be my computer.

This means you don't even need to open the file in Chrome, you can just make a small EXE that lists your movies and run a shell command.

Somnid

So browsing through the source code it would seem the chromecast sets up a small HTTP server for doing some setup and then using webRTC the extension just sends a video of the current tab to the chromecast.

I get the feeling that in just a few weeks/months this thing could become the most versatile wireless media streamer available. And its only $35.

Downhome

I can't believe people are paying those eBay prices, $75 to $100, for this thing. Most of them don't even include the Netflix code either.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I download and play MP4's and SWF's in Chrome all the time. I mean it's always open, why boot into another program? Lol.

molnizzle

No I mean like a Chrome app that works in a tab that can be flinged. You mentioned your media files. Like a Chrome based media manager.

Just using folders and CTRL+O is convenient enough for the time being, but I'll be shocked if we don't see an extension like the one you're describing within the next few months.

Van Owen

Banned
In theory you should be able to run Plex Media Server in a Chrome tab which lets you play your all the content in your library, and then fling that to the TV I would think...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah Ctrl+O has always worked fine for me.

I just realized that packaged apps won't be cast-able, which is one lame downside (unless they integrate with the API.) But I guess that's the point.

mdphilli

No signs of lag?

Mine just arrived. Only tried Netflix so far and it ran well. Took a minute or two for the compression artifacts to go away but then it was rather smooth from there. I kind of have a weak Wi-Fi signal where it's located (though other devices have streamed better from the same spot) but I'm not complaining at all for the price. No regret after the initial run through. Definitely satisfied.

Downhome

No, only one code per Netflix account. I've heard that if you try to submit a second one it will say it isn't allowed, but if you try to use it on a second account it says that it has already been redeemed. I have no clue if that is true, just what I heard.

popeutlal

Mine just arrived. Only tried Netflix so far and it ran well. Took a minute or two for the compression artifacts to go away but then it was rather smooth from there. I kind of have a weak Wi-Fi signal where it's located (though other devices have streamed better from the same spot) but I'm not complaining at all for the price. No regret after the initial run through. Definitely satisfied.
Can you check to see if Hulu works well with Chrome tab streaming?

mdphilli

Can you check to see if Hulu works well with Chrome tab streaming?

Doesn't work well for me. I'm going to assume its mostly a combination of my poor Wi-Fi signal and weak computer though. YMMV. I'll play around with it more to see if I can get things in a better position.

Edit: Wow...They recommend using the HDMI extender to improve Wi-Fi. It REALLY improved it. Hulu basically works fine now. A very slight lag between audio and video...But not enough for me to notice. Most of the time I am "watching" TV I am just listening to it anyway so I wouldn't notice. The only downside to this improvement is now the dongle definitely shoots out the side of my TV. It was pretty well hidden before. Drat.

Top Bottom