• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Well well well, a BB near me suddenly said it was available now - and it let me complete the order (before it wouldn't even let me ship to store), and it included the Netflix code (allegedly). So let's see if I get my hands on one tonight.

Talking with Amazon CS about the Netflix thing...I ordered around 7 PM last night so I want to cover my bases

CS says they understand about the ambiguity of it, so they're doing research on it for me now

They're going along with Google saying the promotion is expired, but unsure as to whether it applies to me order

Dammit Google

Edit: Amazon seems to think my order would get the credit, but advises to contact Google directly to make sure

Kai

Totally random but I already do most of this with my Wii U. Pretty cool for this to be so cheap, though.

Cr0wn0

Just picked mine up from the best buy near my house(only one in the area that got it so far). Guy said they only got about 12. I just used the code they gave me and it added 24$ credit to my Netflix account.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just picked mine up from the best buy near my house(only one in the area that got it so far). Guy said they only got about 12. I just used the code they gave me and it added 24$ credit to my Netflix account.

Pretty much a given that all stock is accounted for as pre-orders/store pickups? Or were there some available on the floor at your BB?

Talked with Google. Basically I'll know right after the damn thing ships, AKA when I can't cancel.

Bait and switch out the ass. I shouldn't have to wait a month to know if I qualified for a deal that you heavily publicized, and didn't kill until nearly a day after I ordered it

Got it! Though since I did in-store pickup I guess I'll get a code through e-mail.

And here's why you can't find one: had a BB employee picking up one on his lunch break, and another guy had scooped up 4 while saying he has grabbed some from another location and from what he said, they were going straight to eBay.

I got both my Netflix codes. Play Store order is coming in tomorrow. Got my Amazon one today.

It seems accidentally ordering two has worked out for me.

Cr0wn0

Pretty much a given that all stock is accounted for as pre-orders/store pickups? Or were there some available on the floor at your BB?

I was the first person to buy one, I saw it go available on their website and since its only about 5 minutes from me I just went straight there. None were out, he had to pull it from the back. Also for anyone else that picked one up from BestBuy , the Netflix code should be on your receipt.

hope32

Wow this thing is amazing, i'm casting streamed HD video from a chrome window on my 2012 Macbook Pro to Chromecast and there is almost no lag.

Debating if I should sell the one I got from Amazon or not and wait for the Google one. The going rate is kind of hard to not at least consider but damn I wanna open it now.

asdad123

Has anyone who ordered from best buy online gotten their netflix code? My chromecast has shipped out already, but I havent received an email with my code, yet my order status still lists the code as part of the order.

Has anyone who ordered from best buy online gotten their netflix code? My chromecast has shipped out already, but I havent received an email with my code, yet my order status still lists the code as part of the order.

Watch for a separate email about a digital purchase.

From Amazon:
Netflix Promotion No Longer Available
Please note that the Netflix promotional offer (which was available in limited supply) has now ended. Customers who ordered their Chromecast prior to 5:31 PM PST on July 24, 2013 will receive a Netflix gift code via email within 5 days of their product's ship date.

So, it won't let me install the Chromecast extension, telling me "This application is not supported on this computer."

Help?

EDIT: Nevermind. For whatever reason, I didn't have the latest version of Chrome and restarting wouldn't do the trick. Uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and we're in business.

From Amazon:

Netflix Promotion No Longer Available
Please note that the Netflix promotional offer (which was available in limited supply) has now ended. Customers who ordered their Chromecast prior to 5:31 PM PST on July 24, 2013 will receive a Netflix gift code via email within 5 days of their product's ship date.

Woo! Mine was 7:15 PM EST, so I'm covered!

The fear about it though made me crack out my UG802 and trick it out again...dunno how much use I'll find out of the Chromecast!

Downhome

Have any of you guys tried using Redbox Instant with it? A friend was asking me about it but I don't have the service to test it for them.

corn_fest

Can someone clear up for me: if I were to use this to stream Netflix, is the computer/phone doing the streaming and just mirroring it through the Chromecast, or does it have its own Netflix client and the other device is just used as a remote (and therefore capable of the only-on-TV HD shows on Netflix?)

Downhome

Can someone clear up for me: if I were to use this to stream Netflix, is the computer/phone doing the streaming and just mirroring it through the Chromecast, or does it have its own Netflix client and the other device is just used as a remote (and therefore capable of the only-on-TV HD shows on Netflix?)

You just initialize the stream with your device/computer, it is not mirroring it to the Chromecast. What the Chromecast does, as I understand it, is after you initialize the video it streams it from the cloud of the service you are using. Once you start the videos from supported services like Netflix and YouTube you can go as far to turn off the device you started it on. You wont be able to control it anymore, but you can if you really wanted to.

corn_fest

You just initialize the stream with your device/computer, it is not mirroring it to the Chromecast. What the Chromecast does, as I understand it, is after you initialize the video it streams it from the cloud of the service you are using. Once you start the videos from supported services like Netflix and YouTube you can go as far to turn off the device you started it on. You wont be able to control it anymore, but you can if you really wanted to.

Alright, excellent.

corn_fest

Does the Chromecast work with a standard Chromebook? The Pixel is mentioned on the Chromecast page, but wondering about the standard $250 wi-fi one.

Not yet iirc, but it should soon.

Just ordered 2 of these to pick up at Best Buy, by the way. I'd be worried about getting burned by 1st-gen hardware, but... it works out to like what, $20?

Does the Chromecast work with a standard Chromebook? The Pixel is mentioned on the Chromecast page, but wondering about the standard $250 wi-fi one.

Not yet, but it's supposedly coming.

Well, had a hard time streaming from a tab a MKV file and MLB.tv - sound was fine, but video would freeze up.

Tried CabooseJr's channel on YT - video is crisp and clean and keeps moving down the playlist and the Toonami videos look very good.

Bring on more apps!

ETA: Man, streaming YT to this thing and then moving on to other tabs is really nice.

mdphilli

Depends what you mean by "work." I've got the ARM Chromebook and casting nonvideo tabs works pretty fine. I'm able to control Netflix just as I do on my phone. But if you're asking if casting video works...It works as a proof of concept but isn't really viable.

RangersFan

does this support .mkv playback? Also wished they would have included an ethernet port. but I get what they are going for, this should be good for those who don't or have the ability to use xmbc on htpc

Top Bottom