• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Just got mine from Amazon and played around with it for a bit since things are slow at work. Setup was a breeeze. I tried out netflix and youtube from my iPhone and it worked great. Also tried using the chrome plugin on my windows 7 PC and their was definitely some lag, but when it comes to videos everything seems to sync up OK. I tried using the plex web version and I had to lower the quality of the chrome plugin from extreme 720p to just regular 720p or it would keep pausing and hitching. We have a ton of people on our wifi so I hope it performs better when I get home.

I'm pretty impressed with it so far, especially at only being $35!

JLG-

Matthew Keys ‏@MatthewKeysLive 1m
Los Angeles Times: Google no longer offering 3 months of free Netflix with ChromeCast purchase, says promo was limited and has run out.

DaFish

I sure hope we still get that netflix code, if you ordered it from amazon. (yesterday)

Im chatting with Amazon right now, let you know how it goes...

edit: still chatting, but not looking good atm

edit 2: from amazon chat:

"Kristel: I understand.
Here's what I can do, I can make a report to our Marketing and Promotions team.
You will receive an e-mail response within 1-2 business days."

Los Angeles Times: Google no longer offering 3 months of free Netflix with ChromeCast purchase, says promo was limited and has run out.

Well, that just lowered my interest. Also, kind of a dick move. Did they not expect this much interest?

giga

I would expect this from maybe a startup. But not a multinational making billions each quarter. I held off from buying from amazon until it would get back in stock. This sucks.

Not until the app is updated to to support Chromecast. However...You could use HBOGo from Chrome on a computer to send it to the TV.

Which will probably be never because HBO takes years to support stuff. They still don't even have a PS3 app out.

Not only that, then your cable/satellite company gets in the mix. I bought a Roku to stream HBO Go to my TV. NOPE! Comcast doesn't allow it.

Da fuq?

TommyT

The wife said mine are at home... So I'll do some iOS vs Android vs Chrome testing. Fair warning, I NEVER use Chrome so there might be some bias there.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Stutter would be a killer. Would like to hear or see more impressions about this.

Well, they probably have exclusivity with MS for game consoles.

Yeah...I'm sure WatchESPN probably also got moneyhatted by MS as its been out on the 360 forever but no peep of a PS3 or eve PS4 version.

e_i

Holy shit...this thing is too popular. Marketplace sellers are already trying to get twice the $$$ for this.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Holy shit...this thing is too popular. Marketplace sellers are already trying to get twice the $$$ for this.

I wouldn't be surprised if a chunk of the first batch went to scalpers. This ALWAYS happens. Even worse since its so cheap so some random slick dealer could buy a ton without putting a dent in their wallet.

geebee

Banned
I currently have Ubuntu running on my laptop.. will the Chrome tab streaming still work with that OS? I saw that Linux is supported, but didn't see any specifics in regards to Chrome tabs.

Sent

I ordered from Google yesterday, then saw it was on Amazon. Cancelled it on Google, went back to Amazon and it was sold out...in the span of 5 minutes.

3phemeral

I ordered two earlier this morning but seems as though I missed out on the initial batch. Mine ship in a few weeks, sadly. Didn't realize they were selling on Amazon or I would have taken advantage of my Prime shipping.

Downhome

I have a question, and it may be pretty stupid.

I just got home and it's working fantastic with YouTuebe and NetFlix, but my issue is with opening files on my computer in Chrome. When I open a file in Chrome, it seems to try to download them again making a copy of them. How can I prevent Chrome from doing that and instead play them?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I just got my "Welcome to Chromecast. Here's your Netflix 3-month gift code." email from Google.

I ordered mine like, during the conference, so it was definitely the first batch. Sucks that they discontinued the promo...but makes me kind of glad I ordered it so soon now. It's shipped now, too.

Ordered from Best Buy last night and it shipped this morning. It is to arrive tomorrow.

I also got in on the 3 months of Netflix.. Haven't gotten the code yet but assume it will come in the next 24-48 hrs.

bcl0328

Google Play customer service email excerpt:

"Due to overwhelming demand for Chromecast devices since launch, the 3-month Netflix promotion (which was available in limited quantities) is no longer available on Google Play.

"If you ordered a Chromecast before 1pm PST on July 25, 2013, you are eligible for the Netflix promotion and will receive an email with the promo code after your device ships.

"If you purchased the device from Google Play, BestBuy.com or Amazon.com, you'll receive the promo code in an email once your device ships. If you purchased the device from a Best Buy retail store, the promo code will be printed on the receipt. "

3phemeral

Google Play customer service email excerpt:

"Due to overwhelming demand for Chromecast devices since launch, the 3-month Netflix promotion (which was available in limited quantities) is no longer available on Google Play.

"If you ordered a Chromecast before 1pm PST on July 25, 2013, you are eligible for the Netflix promotion and will receive an email with the promo code after your device ships.

"If you purchased the device from Google Play, BestBuy.com or Amazon.com, you'll receive the promo code in an email once your device ships. If you purchased the device from a Best Buy retail store, the promo code will be printed on the receipt. "

Thanks for that. My order date was the 24th apparently.

Dead

well not really...yet
How do you send a chrome tab to the device? I'm not seeing any option for it on my mobile chrome browser

Downhome

I have a question, and it may be pretty stupid.

I just got home and it's working fantastic with YouTuebe and NetFlix, but my issue is with opening files on my computer in Chrome. When I open a file in Chrome, it seems to try to download them again making a copy of them. How can I prevent Chrome from doing that and instead play them?

Anyone have a clue? I've tried to manually paste the link, ctrl+o to open it, drag and drop into Chrome, and no matter what I do it starts to download the file again, not play it. Ugh.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Does this mean backordered items qualify? Ordered from Amazon but it shows:

DELIVERY ESTIMATE: WE NEED A LITTLE MORE TIME TO PROVIDE YOU WITH A GOOD ESTIMATE. WE'LL NOTIFY YOU VIA E-MAIL AS SOON AS WE HAVE AN ESTIMATED DELIVERY DATE.

Anyone have a clue? I've tried to manually paste the link, ctrl+o to open it, drag and drop into Chrome, and no matter what I do it starts to download the file again, not play it. Ugh.

What type of files are you trying to open?

TommyT

Ok, so had a chance to install two around my apt. First we tried with her two iOS devices which we were denied. It said you had to go through Chrome or one of the supported devices (iOS doesn't have Chromecast currently). So I hopped on my phone and went in through the Chromecast app. The setup is straightforward:
- Asking if you can see a message
- Prompts for a name change of the device
- Prompting for network password
- Ready to cast

We booted up Netflix on her iPad and it worked like a charm. The only issue was it took quite a bit to load the video on the TV. Our network is strong, so I that could have been a first time thing. I went into the living room to set up the other there, and it was simple as well. The only thing here was that it seemed to kick our bedroom Chromcast off the network. Her playback stopped and the Netflix app couldn't find the bedroom anymore. I had to reboot the Chromecast device and that seemed to get things going just fine again.

I'm going to test streaming from my phone, and then the Chrome browser.

Also, ordered from Amazon - no Netflix codes.

Downhome

Hmm if you right click the downloaded file and use Open As does that work? Might need browser plug-ins too depending on the file type?

I just uninstalled and then reinstalled it from scratch. It works now. No clue what was going on but there ya go, lol.

Top Bottom