• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

xptoxyz

does this support .mkv playback? Also wished they would have included an ethernet port. but I get what they are going for, this should be good for those who don't or have the ability to use xmbc on htpc

Sure, you could have more issues to do with the video and audio format rather than container I think. But chrome does play mkv.

does this support .mkv playback? Also wished they would have included an ethernet port. but I get what they are going for, this should be good for those who don't or have the ability to use xmbc on htpc

I find the use case for a Chromecast is different than the one for XBMC. I use XBMC extensively but this is offering me things that I can't do with XBMC or can't do it well.

I ordered last night at like 3am (early Thursday morning). It shipped Thursday afternoon and just about an hour ago I got an email with my Netflix code.

It arrives today (Friday)

via BestBuy.com

Erekiddo

I was able to do local pickup at a bestbuy about 24 miles away for a coworker and myself. Liking the device do far, the Netflix coupon is just icing on the cake.

Been having some issues with buffering, but its the YouTube app being crappy on my iPhone. It's weird how a 30 second HD ad will play fine, but a video stutters.

UrokeJoe

Glad I jumped in early to get the netflix code. Also ended up buying the 7" Nook HD today to finally get a taste of android. If all goes well I'll be moving over from apple.

Well, I got my Netflix code from Best Buy this morning, but the order still says "processing". Hopefully, that means "shipped, but forgot to update online".

SimleuqiR

IMG_20130726_100951.jpg

AU7Amsc.gif

kehs

Banned
If there's anyone who has am extra chromecast order they can't cancel, please pm me.

I'll take it off your hands.

So here's what I've tried out so far and what works natively and what doesn't.

Chromebook
Browser - Yes
Youtube - Yes
Netflix - No
Google Play Music - No
Google Play Movies & TV - No

HTC One
Browser - No
Youtube - Yes
Netflix - Yes
Google Play Music - Yes
Google Play Movies & TV - Yes

Kindle Fire
Netflix - Yes

And does it switch AVR channel and turn on TV too?

I haven't tried that yet. I tried it on a TV in the guest bedroom and it was able to switch to the right input and power on the TV when you casted something to it, but I have a feeling that won't be the case with my receiver. I'll give it a try tonight though.

And does it switch AVR channel and turn on TV too?

It doesn't for me but my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR604) is pretty old too.
I also tried hooking mine up through my HDMI Switch (monoprice HDX-501) to the receiver but the switch kept thinking the chromecast was off and wouldn't let me change to that input. Plugged it directly into my receiver or TV and it worked fine.

HTC One
Browser - No
Youtube - Yes
Netflix - Yes
Google Play Music - Yes

If it's not too much bother, do the built in photo gallery and video player work (for photos/videos taken from the phone)?

I also tried hooking mine up through my HDMI Switch (monoprice HDX-501) to the receiver but the switch kept thinking the chromecast was off and wouldn't let me change to that input. Plugged it directly into my receiver or TV and it worked fine.

I had one HDMI switch that wouldn't work but another one that did. I'm not sure what was preventing the first one from working.

If it's not too much bother, do the built in photo gallery and video player work (for photos/videos taken from the phone)?

Nope, it doesn't look like. At best I can pull up the select a player and the only thing that shows up is one of my TVs and all my Squeezebox units. The Chromecast doesn't show up as a Wi-Fi player.

Zeppu

One more thing Marty.

Let's say the Chromecast is attached and on, and you switch channel to another HDMI input. Does it switch back to its channel when you cast something new to it?

The TX-SR604 doesn't seem to support HDMI-CEC though.

Downhome

One more thing Marty.

Let's say the Chromecast is attached and on, and you switch channel to another HDMI input. Does it switch back to its channel when you cast something new to it?

It does.

I thought I heard that when you cast something it also would turn on your TV and also then switch the input to the one needed, but I haven't had it turn on my TV yet so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if that simply wasn't true.

Wag

I decided to pick one up. FYI, BestBuy still has them available for $35 w/the Netflix deal (although none of my local stores had them in stock). I don't mind waiting, shipping is free.

Edit- beaten, damnit.:p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Chromebook
Browser - Yes
Youtube - Yes
Netflix - No
Google Play Music - No
Google Play Movies & TV - No

HTC One
Browser - No
Youtube - Yes
Netflix - Yes
Google Play Music - Yes

Kindle Fire
Netflix - Yes

Do Netflix and Play stuff work from the browser in a Chromebook, though?

Hopefully the cast button is added to all the Play browser services soon.

I agree with the c|net review, for the most part. Right now, this thing is limited, but the potential is there for it to grow by leaps and bounds.

And if you're able to get the Netflix code, it's worth the ~$10. If not, I could understand waiting a bit to see where it goes.

If any of you live in southeast Louisiana, Best Buy has the Chromecast listed as "in-store only" at the Veterans (by 1-10), Houma, and Baton Rouge (Bluebonnet) locations.

I don't really use YouTube much but do they have "channels" that are playing content 24 hours a day? Would be cool to start seeing TV-like YouTube channels. This thing could certainly push it, if it gets huge mass appeal beyond the tech sites.

One more thing Marty.

Ya, it'll switch to the input whenever you cast anything to it as long as your TV supports the switching. What it won't do is switch back to the input you were last on when you're done.

Zeppu

I don't think it's even possible to get the 'other' channel over HDMI-CEC so it would be impossible for Chromecast to instruct it to switch back when done.

sangreal

Don't like that you cant choose the hdmi color space (yuv vs rgb). My TV (kuro krp-500M) has buggy auto-detection. Not the end of the world though. Other than that, it seems neat enough. I have it connected through my receiver but I didn't bother trying the HDMI-CEC stuff because frankly, HDMI-CEC sucks.

kehs

Banned
I don't think it's even possible to get the 'other' channel over HDMI-CEC so it would be impossible for Chromecast to instruct it to switch back when done.

I thought that was the point of HDMI CEC, to be able to swtich inputs?

Top Bottom