• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Petrie

Banned
This was off my radar but seems perfect for the use case in my household, will be checking Best Buy later today. Here's hoping!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, I leave a constant internet connection for a few days and now I miss out on the Netflix deal and am backordered. Weak.

reKon

Banned
Would it be faster to just pick this up at a bestbuy or something? I ordered this the day that it was announced on amazon at 11 pm cst and it has been backordered since.

Petrie

Banned
Would it be faster to just pick this up at a bestbuy or something? I ordered this the day that it was announced on amazon at 11 pm cst and it has been backordered since.

I stopped at 2 Best Buys this morning: both had gotten a truck last night and sold out within 2 hours. :(

Don't know where else to check.

Petrie

Banned
Will have to debate if it's worth the $35 to beta test without the Netflix offer, as it seems unlikely I'll find one locally with it bundled. Are any other shops stocking them I may have overlooked GAF?

ILoveBish

Chromecast has exceeded anything i could have hoped for out of the device. Love it. The share desktop mode is amazing, really really love it.

ZetaEpyon

Got mine set up this morning - I'm pretty impressed. Pretty much just works, and even the Chrome tab streaming is better than I expected. Tested some HD stuff from Crunchyroll and the audio sync was slightly off, but not nearly as bad as I was anticipating.

Now I kind of want another so that I can have one on both my main TV and my bedroom TV...

Wag

I ordered one through BestBuy online so I got the Netflix promo. When it shows up I'm going to try plugging it into a 4x2 HDMI Matrix switch I have and hopefully it will work that way.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Can anyone test if you are able to run the audio from your phone and it automatically sync with the video on the tv? I don't care if both videos have to be running, I would like to mute the tv and just have audio automatically sync to headphones attached to my phone.

Talon

So Mat Honan over at Wired is saying they've had no trouble streaming HBO Go, Amazon instant, etc. just by mirroring a Chrome tab. Very interesting.

I wonder if there's a user agent string associated when you start using the Chromecast. If it's just Chrome, then these providers that block off certain content (HEY BROADCASTERS THAT FUCK OVER HULU, I'M TALKING TO YOU) may be stuck solo.

Vyer

So Mat Honan over at Wired is saying they've had no trouble streaming HBO Go, Amazon instant, etc. just by mirroring a Chrome tab. Very interesting.

I wonder if there's a user agent string associated when you start using the Chromecast. If it's just Chrome, then these providers that block off certain content (HEY BROADCASTERS THAT FUCK OVER HULU, I'M TALKING TO YOU) may be stuck solo.

Hopefully they can't. Otherwise I'm sure they will start blocking shortly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Didn't you tell me a while ago that you were ready to plunk down $1500 for Glass?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=59927401

I hope you're not too broken up about the $24. I'll consider giving you my code :p

By the way, I'm enjoying Glass and trying to write an app for it right now.

I bought it, anyway. I just hate missing out on deals. More importantly, it'll be awhile until I actually get the hardware :(

Good to hear you like Glass. You should post a thread based on your experiences with it. Unless you already have and I missed it.

Goldrush

Brought one so I will find out soon, but will chromecast Netflix output super HD and 3d if the TV supports it? My TV have the feature but I would prefer avoiding Netflix non desktop interface.

sangreal

Does Netflix work ok when using Chrome tabs? Cross posting from Netflix thread...

With this script, you can switch between different regions of Netflix, with a single click

Does not work... you can't stream silverlight video from a tab. Gives me this error:
tab projection but no audio/video

If you can Cast a tab and the page shows on your TV but the video and/or audio isn't playing, this is typically caused by the use of native plug-ins, such as Silverlight or Quicktime, which are not supported.

Doesn't work the normal way either -- chromecast loads 25% of the video and then hangs

I get ZERO lag on anything. It's amazing. Now Chromecast is technically sitting right on the opposite side of a wall in the same spot as my wireless router.

Wonder if getting a N router would be beneficial now since I only have a G one.

FinKL

I think they pushed a new update?

Getting a new cast icon in the Youtube video and supposedly it's better for casting, kinda hard to tell the difference though.

Mazre

Grabbed one at my local best buy (Melbourne, FL) this morning. Super easy to setup and cast from PC and phone. Think I'll like this most just for throwing chrome tabs to the TV for game streams/etc. Netflix is just as well served streaming via the PS3, though it's nice to have the option.

jayb

Is there a way to cast photos/personal videos directly from an android phone? I haven't found a way yet without uploading to g+/drive first and casting from a laptop.

bob page

Just reconfigured my TV and receiver to allow chromecast to auto turn them on and set to right inputs on a cast. Awesome. Is there a way to power down the TV once you disconnect from a cast?

Also, did they ever say if the Chrome mobile app is going to get casting support?

jayb

Can anyone test if you are able to run the audio from your phone and it automatically sync with the video on the tv? I don't care if both videos have to be running, I would like to mute the tv and just have audio automatically sync to headphones attached to my phone.

It doesn't work. Tested on Netflix and g music on my android gs2. You'll have to hook headphones directly to your TV.

That would be a nice feature though!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can anyone with HDMI 1.4 comment on the rumor that it doesn't need the USB cord in that case for power?

Only rooted tablets can have local content (audio/video files) displayed on a tv?
No tablets can cast local content yet: only computers running Chrome via tab casting. I think the Plex team is trying to add it very soon, so I'm currently waiting for that. Whenever they do it, you'll have to run the Plex app and use it to browse your pictures, music, and videos. They make a good media center interface so I'm looking forward to it.

bob page

Can anyone with HDMI 1.4 comment on the rumor that it doesn't need the USB cord in that case for power?

I use the wall adapter and not the USB port- this is the required method if you want HDMI CEC to work properly (since the Chromecast will essentially be "always on").

Well, picked up the last one at my local BB and also received the 3 months Netflix code. The one thing that I desperately want from this is to access all of my locally stored media and stream it via chromecast to my TV.

Rur0ni

My Chromecast will switch the input, but not turn on the TV. Not sure if it's a setting on the TV, or just a compliance issue. I have a 2009 G10.

reKon

Banned
oh shit they actually have it at the Hancock building in Chicago. Can't go down there now though, ugh. I hope Amazon comes through the shipment.

ShowDog

I would be interested in trying one of these in person. It seems a little half-assed (or you could say "early") right now. Price is right, but I need something better than devices I already use, not just cheap.

RedAssedApe

Banned
How do I tell if my TV has HDMI CEC? Currently, Chromecast is neither turning on my TV or switching to the correct input.

Its called different things depending on the set. Here's a list...not sure how up to date it is:

ifferent trade names for HDMI CEC
There are different trade names for HDMI CEC, depending on who is the manufacturer of your device, so it doesn't have to be stated as HDMI-CEC. Find your manufacturer on this list and see how is it called for your device but you get the gist:

Samsung - Anynet+
Sony - BRAVIA Link or BRAVIA Sync
Sharp - Aquos Link
Hitachi - HDMI-CEC
AOC - E-link
Pioneer - Kuro Link
Toshiba - Regza Link or CE-Link
Onkyo - RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
LG - SimpLink
Panasonic - VIERA Link or HDAVI Control or EZ-Sync
Philips - EasyLink
Mitsubishi - NetCommand for HDMI

Check your TVs documentation.

bob page

I would be interested in trying one of these in person. It seems a little half-assed (or you could say "early") right now. Price is right, but I need something better than devices I already use, not just cheap.

I think the only thing that makes it seem "half assed" is the current selection of supported apps.

That'll definitely change in the near future, though.

shamo42

Will this support 24p? I can't go back to jerky movie playback.

I wish this thing had an optical audio out.

Edgeward

Is anyone having over scanning issues? I've tried 3 TVs and they all are cutting the edges off.

Yea, it's cuts out the edges a bit on my tv too. This also was a problem on youtube for ps3. =(

edit: Fixed mine. Just had to adjust my TV settings to screen fit

Top Bottom