• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Skytylz

Banned
I got my over scan problem fixed. There was some setting in all my TVs that I've never touched before that I changed and fixed it. Weird because its never been a problem for me before. It was called H-fill or something similar on all my TVs if anyone else was having similar issues.

bob page

How do you do that?
You have to power the Chromecast by the adapter and make sure your TV and receiver are HDMI 1.4 and CEC compatible. I have a Panasonic Viera so I just enabled Vieralink and set it to then turn on my receiver when the TV is turned on by a HDMI device. On the receiver end, I made sure ARC and HDMI control through were enabled for the TV input, which also had a setting for which audio input to switch to on HDMI power on.

Epcott

This is pretty useless for me since I use my PS3 as for webpages, Netflix, Hulu and so on.

But I'll probably buy this for my friend who is a Youtube junkie.

reKon

Banned
This is pretty useless for me since I use my PS3 as for webpages, Netflix, Hulu and so on.

But I'll probably buy this for my friend who is a Youtube junkie.

Lol browsing on the ps3. Oh boy...

For me being able to stream anything from the chrome browser is huge and with this you can easily use your phone or any devices for much quicker browsing for any of these videos services. Also, there's no HBO go app for the PS3..

Husker86

Can anyone with HDMI 1.4 comment on the rumor that it doesn't need the USB cord in that case for power?

I looked up my TV and a review said that Samsung E550 series plasmas have HDMI 1.4. I unplugged the USB cable and the Chromecast shut off.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Hmmm, I want one of these for Youtube on my TV.

Assuming they come to the UK that is.

Can anyone tell me if this can be powered by a standard USB socket such as those on some TVs, or does it drawn more than 500mA? - I'd prefer to power if straight from the TV, rather than use the 13amp adapter.

Husker86

Can anyone tell me if this can be powered by a standard USB socket such as those on some TVs, or does it drawn more than 500mA? - I'd prefer to power if straight from the TV, rather than use the 13amp adapter.

I plugged the USB cable into the USB port on my TV and it works fine.

sangreal

Depends on the TV. You also can't use the HDMI CEC to turn on your TV obviously since the CC will turn off with your tv. The power adaptor it comes with is 850ma. I have mine connected to the usb port on my wall outlet which outputs 500ma and it works fine

reKon

Banned
Anyone have any of those Panasonic models from 2012? I have the P55UT50 and it will be awesome if I don't need a power adapter.

thespot84

You have to power the Chromecast by the adapter and make sure your TV and receiver are HDMI 1.4 and CEC compatible. I have a Panasonic Viera so I just enabled Vieralink and set it to then turn on my receiver when the TV is turned on by a HDMI device. On the receiver end, I made sure ARC and HDMI control through were enabled for the TV input, which also had a setting for which audio input to switch to on HDMI power on.

is the chromecast plugged into the TV or the receiver? I have a sony receiver with CEC and hdmi 1.3a and a Samsung TV with CEC (and probably 1.3a). I cannot get the chromecast to turn on the receiver (where it's plugged in) for the life of me...

I got my over scan problem fixed. There was some setting in all my TVs that I've never touched before that I changed and fixed it. Weird because its never been a problem for me before. It was called H-fill or something similar on all my TVs if anyone else was having similar issues.
I've had similar issues to this, but my Chromecast issue was fixed by changing the "Display Area" from Normal to Full Pixel. This was a setting I never even knew existed but it seems to have resolved my issue of the corners being cut off.

Hopefully one of these two fixes helps someone else later on. :)

Plasmid

Ordered my chromecast. Paid a little Extra but at least it came with 3 months of Netflix. It will work with a secured wireless network correct?

sangreal

Ordered my chromecast. Paid a little Extra but at least it came with 3 months of Netflix. It will work with a secured wireless network correct?

Yes. I set it up on my desktop, so it might be a little different from a phone/tablet, but you download an app which will connect via WiFi (so you obviously need wifi) to the Chromecast, and from there you enter the information for your actual WiFi network

bob page

is the chromecast plugged into the TV or the receiver? I have a sony receiver with CEC and hdmi 1.3a and a Samsung TV with CEC (and probably 1.3a). I cannot get the chromecast to turn on the receiver (where it's plugged in) for the life of me...

It's plugged into the TV. Make sure you check the ARC controls on the receiver and the CEC settings on the TV to make sure the receiver powers on once it receives an audio signal from the input that the TV's audio is plugged into.

I have a Panasonic TV and Yamaha receiver- the settings are pretty simple on both these makes but I'm not too sure about Sony/Samsung.

Does anyone know if there's a way to control a stream from a device other than the one that started the cast?

For example, I started playing something from Netflix on my phone, but I had to leave and wanted to leave it playing for someone else. Is there anyway for them to pause or stop the stream on their own device?

FinKL

Does anyone know if there's a way to control a stream from a device other than the one that started the cast?

For example, I started playing something from Netflix on my phone, but I had to leave and wanted to leave it playing for someone else. Is there anyway for them to pause or stop the stream on their own device?

Not that I know of, each device that connects to cast to the Chromecast takes priority.

Downhome

I also have a Panasonic Viera with Vieralink. Thank you so much, I finally got the one feature that I didn't think was working to, well, work. Awesome!

sangreal

Not that I know of, each device that connects to cast to the Chromecast takes priority.

I have 3 connected devices -- PC, iphone and android tablet. The Phone and tablet both recognize the stream is playing and lets me go back and control it. With the PC, whether or not the stream is started with the PC or not, I haven't found any way to go back to a running stream to stop it (once the Netflix tab is closed)

In short, yes they can control it with their own device as long as that device is a mobile device

olympia

Who the fuck would buy this?

People that finally want to integrate TV into an Android ecosystem. There's no Google TV product integration with google's android devices outside of Google fiber.

Also the three free months of Netflix makes it worth it because I would be paying ~$30 for that subscription anyway.

UrokeJoe

People that finally want to integrate TV into an Android ecosystem. There's no Google TV product integration with google's android devices outside of Google fiber.

Also the three free months of Netflix makes it worth it because I would be paying ~$30 for that subscription anyway.

Makes it so cheap and the footprint on this thing is amazingly small. Its a win.

edit except for the slow pokes.

Jamie OD

Is it just Best Buy that is selling Chromecasts at stores right now? I'm tempted to pick one up while I'm in Seattle for PAX next month.

Cloudy

Banned
Tried this out today. It's really impressive at that size and pricepoint. Apple TV will probably have to come down in price and Roku is just plain screwed.

The iOS Netflix controls are pretty shoddy and unoptimized and I wasn't able to stop my Netflix stream after starting it. It works flawlessly with my Nexus Netflix app though.

PS: It's bullshit but it won't cast side-loaded songs. WTF

Tried this out today. It's really impressive at that size an pricepoint. Apple TV will probably have to come down in price and Roku is just plain screwed.

The iOS Netflix controls are pretty shoddy and unoptimized and I wasn't able to stop my Netflix stream after starting it. It works flawlessly with my Nexus Netflix app though.

PS: It's bullshit but it won't cast side-loaded songs. WTF

yeah, it is truly bizarreGoogle that it plays them ~from the cloud~ but not from your device.

And after a few days of testing, it seems like the Chromecast might actually deliver on all that potential, but Google still has a lot of work to do.

It still works, but it wasn't exactly reassuring.

It's all a little more cable clutter than I expected, but it's not the end of the world.

Apple's AirPlay also works like this in some cases, but it can also stream audio and video directly from iPhones, iPads, and iTunes on the Mac and PC.

It's not a big problem, but it's added complexity.

That makes it super easy to use, but also opens up a world of elaborate trolling.

Pandora support is coming, but unless you're a heavy Google Play user, right now the Chromecast's entire app story is Netflix and YouTube.

...you'll see the video on your TV just fine, but the audio will still come out of your computer.

I use AirPlay in the iOS YouTube app all the time, but search and discovery is still so much better on a laptop that it makes for a whole different experience.

But for the most part it works, and it works well enough to use regularly.

...the improved AirPlay support coming in OS X Mavericks will probably be better than either solution, but for right now it's a wash.

And if all you want is Netflix, spend $50 on a Roku — it’s better all the way around. But if you’re the type who routinely watches things on a laptop and just wants an easier, cleaner way to get those things on a TV, the Chromecast is a no-brainer.

I have no idea if Google can build the Chromecast ecosystem into something rivals AirPlay, but for $35 I’ll be too busy sending tabs from Chrome to really even care.

NOT MUCH OF AN AIRPLAY COMPETITOR, BUT A GREAT WIRELESS DISPLAY FOR CHROME
I summarized it with just a but-load of quotes.

Huh? Don't know the context but this seems like they might be doing it wrong?

That quote is oddly pulled out of context. No idea why.

The only real incompatibility is with Apple's QuickTime — you'll see the video on your TV just fine, but the audio will still come out of your computer.

if you send over a tab in chrome that has video playing the googlecast extension automatically mutes the audio on your computer.

edit: I have an idea why. He's trying to paint the device as negatively as possible. Not gonna cast aspersions by insinuating that he's an apple fanboy. that would be beneath me.

Tried this out today. It's really impressive at that size an pricepoint. Apple TV will probably have to come down in price and Roku is just plain screwed.

Hold your horses there buddy. Having played with the CC, I would say it's nowhere near ready to replace my Roku. I don't have an Apple TV, but it has far more functionality att this point based on everything I've read.

Now, if the apps come to CC, then it gets interesting. But for right now, it's a product that is likely worth what it costs.

Cloudy

Banned
Hold your horses there buddy. Having played with the CC, I would say it's nowhere near ready to replace my Roku. I don't have an Apple TV, but it has far more functionality att this point based on everything I've read.

Now, if the apps come to CC, then it gets interesting. But for right now, it's a product that is likely worth what it costs.

I don't see how all those roku apps won't come to chromecast eventually. At this price, they won't have an issue getting a large usernase.

Apple TV does have more functionality since you can stream off your device. Kind of tough for google to get partners to sign on if they allow that in their open ecosystem lol

kudoboi

Does this actually work overseas?

Edit: I guess not
vt3NdIc.jpg

Top Bottom