• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Zeppu

I thought that was the point of HDMI CEC, to be able to swtich inputs?

CEC basically sends a 'HEY GUYS GIVE ME ATTENTION NOW PLEASE' signal.

It can also send and receive the equivalent of remote commands, but (as far as I know) it cannot query what's currently happening on the devices, so it can't as the TV what input its on, store that, ask to change to it's own input, the switch back the previous one once done.

sangreal

Is there some trick to getting this thing to output 5.1 for netflix? It shows 5.1 when loading the video but my receiver is only getting stereo. Someone mentioned earlier that they were getting dd5.1

kehs

Banned
CEC basically sends a 'HEY GUYS GIVE ME ATTENTION NOW PLEASE' signal.

It can also send and receive the equivalent of remote commands, but (as far as I know) it cannot query what's currently happening on the devices, so it can't as the TV what input its on, store that, ask to change to it's own input, the switch back the previous one once done.

It could, theoretically, have a setting to revert back to a pre configured input though, right?

Is there some trick to getting this thing to output 5.1 for netflix? It shows 5.1 when loading the video but my receiver is only getting stereo. Someone mentioned earlier that they were getting dd5.1

No trick as far as I know. It just auto detected and Dolby Digital Plus was listed on my receiver. I think it's the first time I've seen that codec pop up too. How are you sending Netflix to the Chromecast?

What kind of receiver do you have, It worked fine on mine.

One more thing Marty.

Let's say the Chromecast is attached and on, and you switch channel to another HDMI input. Does it switch back to its channel when you cast something new to it?

The TX-SR604 doesn't seem to support HDMI-CEC though.

I know, like I said that receiver is mighty old and doesn't support it. My TV does and once I plugged the chromecast into it directly it switched automatically just fine.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It could, theoretically, have a setting to revert back to a pre configured input though, right?

The TV could. Which my new Samsung does. When I turn on the PS3, it turns on the receiver, on the TV as needed and switches to the correct input. When I turn off the PS3 or receiver (TV no longer receiving signal in that input) the TV auto goes back to whatever the previous input was (in my case usually the Tivo).

But I don't believe HDMI-CEC spec supports "last channel".

By the way, I have the TX-SR605, to the guy above, and it does have HDMI-CEC enabled and working.

I'll test more with the Chromecast tonight as it should come in the mail from Amazon. I still have not gotten that Netflix code from them, and I ordered in the first few minutes it was available, before their stated "deadline".

kehs

Banned
The TV could. Which my new Samsung does. When I turn on the PS3, it turns on the receiver, on the TV as needed and switches to the correct input. When I turn off the PS3 or receiver (TV no longer receiving signal in that input) the TV auto goes back to whatever the previous input was (in my case usually the Tivo).

But I don't believe HDMI-CEC spec supports "last channel".

Well, I mean like a setting that says "when you're done playing this shitty youtube video switch back to" ______ and then have the user set it.

phalestine

aka iby.h
My BestBuy must of got a whole lot. Went in 20 minutes ago, grabbed one along with 3 Month Netflix code. Now I just have a couple more hours of work and then i'm casting away.

Plasmid

Guys i'm going to be out of town for 10 days starting tomorrow but there will be a bestbuy near where im going, i want to get a chromecast really bad since it's so cheap. Should i order from amazon and wait or just go straight to best buy tomorrow?

e:

they're completely sold out DAMN. looks like i'll just keep my order on amazon and hope it comes in by the time i get back, i wonder how long it's gonna take amazon to refill these orders considering the google play store only has a "Coming Soon" button when trying to buy.

Sky Chief

I've been to four Best Buys over the last two days looking for these. Finally hit the jackpot and got two! Early impressions, this thing is awesome especially because all my music is in Google Music.

Sky Chief

Guys i'm going to be out of town for 10 days starting tomorrow but there will be a bestbuy near where im going, i want to get a chromecast really bad since it's so cheap. Should i order from amazon and wait or just go straight to best buy tomorrow?

Call the stores, they will tell you if/when they are getting them. Be warned that three times they sold out while I was en route. The smaller stores seem to be getting 10ish but the bigger store I went to had 40 so focus on bigger stores.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well, I mean like a setting that says "when you're done playing this shitty youtube video switch back to" ______ and then have the user set it.

Ahh, that would make sense. And it could switch to its input when casting, and back to "preset" when done.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm using a VPN to do those things but MAN, if this has no catch.. super great.
Anyone really looked into the service yet?

I can't speak for any potential security risks from usage of proxies but I can confirm that it allowed me to access Netflix.ca and Netflix.uk content from the US. Movie selections seem much better. Seem hola on one of the gawker sites...but yeah I don't know what that says. haha

Slightly wary as the FAQ sounds scary. Someone more technically sound would need to look at it. :)

3rdman

Best Buys all around me are out...I went ahead and bought it through Amazon even though I have no ETA at the moment. Oh well...At least I get free shipping and no taxes...now, I wait. :/

Zeppu

Yeah if the dongle itself turns itself off or just stops transmitting a picture to the TV, if the TV supports it it could switch back to the last active channel. That's a TV feature though. How does the chromecast turn off? Does it ever?

How are they? Choppy?

Netflix seems fine from what I've watched. I haven't tested out how smooth HBO Go is other than to see if it was possible. I should note, I'm using a Chromebook Pixel though.

On a different note, is Netflix supposed to work with Chromecast from a Chrome desktop browser? Their little screen saver on the Chromecast seems to say yes.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
That three month Netflix get. (Google)

Also, I have two coming in the mail. My Google order didn't cancel.

Thankfully, they're going for $75-100 on eBay.

sangreal

Netflix seems fine from what I've watched. I haven't tested out how smooth HBO Go is other than to see if it was possible. I should note, I'm using a Chromebook Pixel though.

On a different note, is Netflix supposed to work with Chromecast from a Chrome desktop browser? Their little screen saver on the Chromecast seems to say yes.

Netflix works fine w/ chromecast from chrome desktop browser. Unless you mean the mirroring extension -- havent tried netflix w/ that, but don't know why you would

Netflix works fine w/ chromecast from chrome desktop browser. Unless you mean the mirroring extension -- havent tried netflix w/ that, but don't know why you would

I couldn't find the cast button so either I wasn't looking at the right spot, or it doesn't work on a Chromebook. I haven't tried my regular Win 7 latpop yet.

I couldn't find the cast button so either I wasn't looking at the right spot, or it doesn't work on a Chromebook. I haven't tried my regular Win 7 latpop yet.

You still have to install the chrome extension even if you're using a chromebook. But if you're speaking about the Chromebook Netflix app it has yet to be updated with chromecast support.

Still can't find one of these locally even though everyone else was able to get one.

Cbajd5

Anyone who ordered from Amazon actually get their netflix code yet?

Nope. Got my device today though...

How does the chromecast turn off? Does it ever?

I don't think it turns off unless you unplug it from the USB power source.

Notes on my experience:

My TV doesn't give it enough power from it's USB port or something, because it powers up but doesn't display a picture. Using the wall adapter works fine though.

Setup is pretty easy as long as it can connect properly, was quick and works well on my home network. However, it refuses to connect to my phone's Wi-Fi Tethering, which is faster than my home internet. Watching the setup it says it's able to connect, but not able to connect to the internet. The only other device I have that has this problem is my Vita, so bleh. I need a new phone soon.

Netflix works well, although I don't know how the device exits the Netflix screen it brings up once you choose to start casting with it. (Outside of playing a video or going to the YouTube app.)

There was static when started watching a YouTube video for some reason. It went away after I panicked though. EDIT: Happened again when I tried Netflix from my PC, probably need to check the connection of the device.

YouTube exits it's screen once you choose to go back to the phone to view videos.

COOL EDIT:
You can also Cast your entire desktop with the Chrome app: http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/2...your-entire-desktop-screen-too-not-just-tabs/

I didn't get any sound from the desktop casting though.

You still have to install the chrome extension even if you're using a chromebook. But if you're speaking about the Chromebook Netflix app it has yet to be updated with chromecast support.

Still can't find one of these locally even though everyone else was able to get one.

I have the extension as I was able to cast a Chrome tab. I just didn't see the cast button on the video window like I did in YouTube. I simply went to Netflix.com in my web browser and was hoping to see a cast button like Youtube in the video player window. Should it be there or not?

I have the extension as I was able to cast a Chrome tab. I just didn't see the cast button on the video window like I did in YouTube. I simply went to Netflix.com in my web browser and was hoping to see a cast button like Youtube in the video player window. Should it be there or not?

IIRC, Chrome OS's version of Netflix is a tab different (I remember it not working/having some various issues for a time). I think they'll have to update that separately.

Honestly, this thing intrigues me way more than the UG802 Android stick I have. The airmouse I got with it is pretty terrible, and while it's fun to tinker with it, and it has more functionality in terms of games, it's a right pain in the neck to use. Maybe I should just get Droidmote and call it a day.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Most (all except Nook Video?) streaming services don't allow 1080p over mobile. How does this get around that? Or does it?

sangreal

I can't speak for the chromebook, but the button you're looking for is there on my desktop

IIRC, Chrome OS's version of Netflix is a tab different (I remember it not working/having some various issues for a time). I think they'll have to update that separately.

Honestly, this thing intrigues me way more than the UG802 Android stick I have. The airmouse I got with it is pretty terrible, and while it's fun to tinker with it, and it has more functionality in terms of games, it's a right pain in the neck to use. Maybe I should just get Droidmote and call it a day.

Okay cool. Thanks for the info. I should see it from Windows 7 though after I've installed the extension, right?

Okay cool. Thanks for the info. I should see it from Windows 7 though after I've installed the extension, right?

Yeah, I believe the Windows version should be solid, since that's really the flagship in terms of PCs. Don't quote me on that one though, launch issues could kaibash that for now

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I can't speak for the chromebook, but the button you're looking for is there on my desktop

Chromebooks use a different version of Netflix's player (non-Silverlight), so that may indeed be the case. Can't be too long before they update.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just tried it, works great. About a quarter to a half second lag that I see, so its not for gaming, but its fine for a presentation or to watch/see anything non super interactive.

It should work great with turn based games, like Shadowrun Returns. I will test it tonight.

thespot84

Just tried it, works great. About a quarter to a half second lag that I see, so its not for gaming, but its fine for a presentation or to watch/see anything non super interactive.

Also HBO Go and Hulu work great after about 1-2 minutes of settling. And tab casting is fantastic.

Now to get the Netflix code from Amazon and I am set.

do you get sound with entire screen casting? i dont

EDIT: ^ yeah you should be able to just fire up google music in a tab and cast it. Flash is supported. Silverlight and quicktime are not.

Also, is anyone elses tab streaming choppy as all hell? I'm not talking a delay (which there is) but some serious chop. I can't figure out where the bottleneck is, since the streaming from netflix or youtube natively looks great.

ZetaEpyon

Just got home with new toys, time to mess around!

IMAG0066.png

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I think I'm going to stick with a SlimPort dongle until Chromecast is built into Android on the OS level. Seems a waste for 2 apps.

I'll stick with my Roku. To me this is very un-Google like, way too closed. Too much like Apple TV.
Closed? It's obviously limited in functionality, a decision made to keep the setup absolutely minimal, but what are they closing off? I'm sure they'd love any and every content provider to support it, but it's up to the providers.

Once it gets Plex support, I'll use it as my home theater front end.

I'll stick with my Roku. To me this is very un-Google like, way too closed. Too much like Apple TV.

Nothing closed about it. It works on all relevant platforms, and with the mirroring, its functionality is excellent.

Once the full screen mirroring improves (http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/2...your-entire-desktop-screen-too-not-just-tabs/), this thing will be absolutely ridiculous.

I tried to play Shadowrun Returns and mirror the screen, but only the title screen worked. Once you're in-game, the TV display becomes all black.

Top Bottom