• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

thespot84

Oooh, I get it. It's like... pushing content to another system then? But the other system has it's own processing capabilities?

in short, upon 'casting' from a mobile device your device sends commands via wifi to the chromecast dongle to tell it what content to download and stream. The dongle then, on its own, connects to the necessary server and begins streaming the file. Your phone isn't involved in that process at all.

When you send a stop or pause or next command, for instance, it is sent via wifi to the dongle, which then executes said command on the stream it has been downloading. That's why you can continue using your phone or tablet for something else, or simply turn it off, while the content is streaming, because it only acts as a remote.

sca2511

Got a Netflix promo email from Amazon, saying that they'll provide me with a code a few days after it ships out. I thought the promo was over? I only ordered it about two days ago.

w00t!

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2013/07/new-chromecast-app-can-share-anything-from-your-gallery.html

Last week, Google announced the Chromecast. Which it launched with limited apps, but we pretty much knew more functionality would be built for it rather quickly. Now, one of our favorite developers, Koush (the guy behind Helium backup, ROM Manager, and ClockworkMod Recovery) has created an app for Chromecast. He used the beta SDK to build an app that will allow a user to cast pictures, videos and more from their gallery on their device.

Currently, Chromecast can only share things from YouTube, Netflix, Google Music, and Google Play Movies & TV. Along with some tabs in Chrome. The service is still beta but is looking very promising. We already learned that Vimeo, Redbox Instant and more are coming very soon with compatibility. But for now, you can cast anything in your gallery to your TV, and that itself is pretty awesome.

Koush also mentions sharing tons of other options with the app. Like music and playlists, instead of requiring us to use Google Music only. He also promises a video showing off this awesome new feature set soon. So we can see exactly what this app can do. In the meantime, the app has to wait as he’s not allowed to release it yet. So this pretty much means that the Chromecast is about to get a whole lot more support than the Nexus Q ever did. First of all, it actually went up for sale (and sold out almost instantly). Which the Nexus Q never officially made it to sale, it was only in pre-orders.

numble

the biggest advantage to CC that people aren't highlighting is battery.

With the exception of a few airplay services (I think, i'm not really familiar), all the other options mentioned stream from your device. Like what Nicktendo86 said chromcast DOES NOT STREAM FROM YOUR MOBILE DEVICE. This is so huge. Even when using an MHL adapter for my phone plugged into a decent charger the battery still couldn't keep up, it was pathetic. Chromcast today only streams a few things, sure, but it's the mechanism that is the killer app. It's going to be built into TVs in the near future further pressuring content providers to change their app (which google has made an easy affair).

For 95% of the content consuming population this will meet every use case they have with simplicity and elegance. That is why people are saying this thing is awesome, and I wouldn't be surprised if it won some kind of 'invention of the year' award once it ramps up on the adoption curve.
Anything streamed from the web on Airplay is streamed by AppleTV over the Internet, anything streamed locally is from the local device:
http://developer.apple.com/library/...y.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011045-CH4-SW1

Dragon

Banned
You can easily play content with a computer.
Why should we buy shoes since you can easily just take a plastic bag over them.
Sure, it's easier and you can just walk outside the door in seconds, but would you pay $35 for that convenience when you can get some real shoes for $45?

A computer is not easily accessible via a TV's interface, hence things like Steam Big Picture Mode.

Slayven

I am still wondering how it works for local content. Does it beam stuff to the cloud and back down to chromecast or does it just sends across the LAN?

I am still wondering how it works for local content. Does it beam stuff to the cloud and back down to chromecast or does it just sends across the LAN?

I imagine it creates a webserver on your device and the Chromecast is given the address of the webserver and pulls the content from it. So it's all done on your local network.

thespot84

as it stands now it doesn't do local content from a mobile device. Local is only done via chrome tab on a PC/MAC. Koush's app will elaborate how local can work, but we'll see.

EDIT: were you asking specifically about koush's app? Sorry i misunderstood you if so.

kaskade

Sold out at Best Buy. They had them near the chromebooks. They had two of those display rails so I imagine they had a decent amount. Guess I'll just have to check back once in a while.

rc213

Just got mine, Thing is built pretty solid. I'll use this for Netflix now instead of turning on my PS3.

Anyone been able to get Xvid/Divx files to play via chrome browser casting?

sangreal

the only way to use this is with a phone, computer or tablet? no remotes?

Correct. I mean, that is kind of the point of the device though. You find content on the device of your choosing and have the chromecast stream it. Otherwise it would just be a Roku with less support

sangreal

On PC I don't think you can stop a stream even if you want to once the tab is closed. If I open Netflix on iphone or android and a netflix stream is running it has a now playing bar that goes back to the controls, but not on desktop as far as I can tell. Youtube as well

Switching streams does work though, and I imagine this thing is not well suited to any kind of public wifi

Lkr

I hope this encourages Apple to release an SDK for the Apple TV and that is allowed more 3rd party support.

This thing works pretty well for streaming stuff from my computer.

The purchase would be even better if my Nexus 7's screen hadn't cracked two weeks ago lol.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
We discussed this early in the thread.

HDMI-CEC does not support "last input" which is what the CC would have to send.
Can hdmi-cec send input change commands beyond switching to the used input? Even if they just allowed you to manually select an input it would be better than having to hunt for the remote when a stream is finished.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can hdmi-cec send input change commands beyond switching to the used input? Even if they just allowed you to manually select an input it would be better than having to hunt for the remote when a stream is finished.

http://www.cec-o-matic.com/

Seems like no. It can control within the tuner, but not outside of it.

That said, some TVs do go back to the previous input if they detect an end of signal on one HDMI input. Our Samsung does that. So I can boot up the PS3, play, and then turn it off, and at that point the TV goes back to the previous input (cable or whatnot).

The problem with that is that the CC would have to turn off for the TV to think it needs to go back to another input. But if the CC is off, can it still receive a casting signal?

kaskade

I just put my order in on Amazon. I'll check in Best Buy stores once in a while. We'll have to see if Amazon ships first. Probably won't be for a while.

VPhys

I just put my order in on Amazon. I'll check in Best Buy stores once in a while. We'll have to see if Amazon ships first. Probably won't be for a while.
Did the same, I hope Best Buy still has some of the netflix editions coming in the second wave.
My Best Buy said that they originally got about 20 and will be getting six more today.

Chairhome

So I don't know if this is something that just happened to me, but I tried listening to some Frank Ocean songs last night through CC and it played the censored versions, which I did not upload to my google music. Is there some kind of setting that does this, just to make sure I don't play inappropriate content through CC? or just a glitch?

SimleuqiR

So I don't know if this is something that just happened to me, but I tried listening to some Frank Ocean songs last night through CC and it played the censored versions, which I did not upload to my google music. Is there some kind of setting that does this, just to make sure I don't play inappropriate content through CC? or just a glitch?

Go to the Music website, hit the settings gear. Right on top of the Manage my Devices menu, there is a box you can select (deselect) for "block explicit songs from radio".

Raistlin

They really need to combine Chromecast and GoogleTV ... or at least make a higher end Chromecast that does bit-perfect pass through/overlay.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Seems like a fun device, if they figure out hardware acceleration for the encoding for PC s streaming then the quality should vastly improve. My core 2 duo maxes out trying to stream video and the stream gets choppy, but it doesn't use the GPU at all.

f0nz0

So if I already have a google tv, what are the advantages to this?

I can already "cast" a YouTube video from my phone to the tv, googletv seems to have all the actual apps that you would be able to cast... Unless I'm missing something?

I can already "cast" a YouTube video from my phone to the tv, googletv seems to have all the actual apps that you would be able to cast... Unless I'm missing something?

Can't cast from a laptop/desktop. Also you can cast your browser tab over too. How do you cast from your phone to the GoogleTV for YouTube?

kehs

Banned

The tab mirroring and music queue seems to be the highlights over google tv, but those are supposedly coming to gtvs as well.

Can't cast from a laptop/desktop. Also you can cast your browser tab over too. How do you cast from your phone to the GoogleTV for YouTube?

Same button in the youtube app. You actually can send urls from chrome, like mentioned it's not mirroring, it just sends the url to the google tv and chrome picks it up. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...or-goo/bhcjclaangpnjgfllaoodflclpdfcegb?hl=en

thespot84

The advantage is a better interface, ie no interface, since you're just using a phone/mobile device for casting. It's only a slight upgrade from gtv, but then again this wasn't really made with the idea of people already having gtv...

Ephemeris

So far, all I've done is get my Googy music onto the screen.

For what I paid I'm pretty content with that, but I await the possibilities of more elaborate apps, like those mentioned above.

f0nz0

I paired my phone to the google tv, so when I'm on a youtube video I have that same little icon on top that chromecast has... I just press it and my tv automatically plays th youtube video, even if I'm watching tv..then I can resume doing what ever i was doing on my phone and have the video still play

Yea guess the PC and browser tab would be the distinguishing factor.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I'm in peru, how can I get one? Google hates me

Top Bottom