• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My PC is already connected to my TV, so what I'd really like is a Chrome app that does what Chromecast does. You can already control www.youtube.com/tv on your PC from the Android YouTube app (works just like "casting"), and it should be rather trivial for Google to make a Chrome app that does the same for other sources. Simply Chromecast without the dongle. But of course, then they couldn't sell me this piece of plastic that I don't need.

(Not that they'll sell it to me anyway, given that I'm in Sweden...)

Plasmid

I won an auction on eBay for a CC & Netflix. Still hasn't come in. August 3rd is the delivery date. Can't wait to tinker with it

sangreal

Good luck using it without an internet connection.

Considering I meant unplugging it, the wifi would be the least of my problems with using it

I have another two on backorder from amazon but my current CC is hooked up to the same TV as my PC so I don't actually need it at all

thespot84

if your receiver supports it sure (most do, but HDMI CEC is janky as hell). Just to be clear, the CC is always on though. You can get it to switch when you start a stream

as a random data point, My sony STR-D700, which has bravia link enabled, does NOT turn on when i stream no matter what i do. Sometimes it changes inputs, but that's it.

was just messing around with mine and after reloading the settings page a bunch of new settings showed up

q3MVWVJ.png

FNBv2zY.png

Never seen this before, don't know if this is old or what. Just been messing around with this for the past few hours and all this stuff randomly popped up after reopening the extension settings

Drahcir

Does anyone else have a problem getting their Chromecast to connect to their network? I'm on the setup utility and it detects my correct home network, but it always fails to connect to my Chromecast. The message says to make sure the Chromecast is powered on and nearby (it is) and that I'm not on VPN (I'm not). AP Isolation on my router is off as well. I'm not sure what else to try.

Chairhome

I tried to redeem the netflix code from amazon and it popped up with "confirm 100% off for 3 months" then when I clicked confirm, it said that there was an error using the code. I tried to use the code again and it says its been used. Hopefully it went through, is there a way for me to check this?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I tried to redeem the netflix code from amazon and it popped up with "confirm 100% off for 3 months" then when I clicked confirm, it said that there was an error using the code. I tried to use the code again and it says its been used. Hopefully it went through, is there a way for me to check this?

Prob. call support. I think someone else said they had the same error and they checked for him and his code went through.

was just messing around with mine and after reloading the settings page a bunch of new settings showed up

q3MVWVJ.png

FNBv2zY.png

Never seen this before, don't know if this is old or what. Just been messing around with this for the past few hours and all this stuff randomly popped up after reopening the extension settings

Doesn't Apple's AirPlay protocol do lossless for audio? How high can Chromecast go in bitrate? 256?

JPodz

Banned

q3MVWVJ.png

FNBv2zY.png

Do you know how you got those settings to appear?

kaskade

Is Best Buy the only physical store selling this? I know they are selling the nexus in other places but I haven't heard anything about this.

Toki767

Seems like Best Buy's site is taking orders again. Also includes the 3 months of Netflix promotion. It is backordered though so prepare to wait.

popeutlal

Does anyone else have a problem getting their Chromecast to connect to their network? I'm on the setup utility and it detects my correct home network, but it always fails to connect to my Chromecast. The message says to make sure the Chromecast is powered on and nearby (it is) and that I'm not on VPN (I'm not). AP Isolation on my router is off as well. I'm not sure what else to try.
Are you on FIOS?

Fnord

My Chromecast is scheduled to be here Saturday. I ordered the day of the announcement from the Play Store. I should have waited until it was available at Amazon. I'd have had it days ago with free Prime shipping. Ugh.

tfur

So, I watched the free Transformers Movie that came free with the original N7. Very impressed with the stream quality.

Happy with Youtube as well. Starting a stream on an ipad YouTube app, and having my phone sync and have lock screen controls show up for that same stream was kinda cool also.

I got mine last night and it worked flawlessly. I am running Netflix off my Iphone for it. However the one issue I have is the light on it(which will be covered with electrical tape) when its plugged in. I used the wall outlet for it, but if you have a TV with USB you can use that. Overall the devise is well worth $35

SimleuqiR

I was about to post a selfie of my stick too.

So, apparently Amazon sold about half a million of these?

https://plus.google.com/102898672602346817738/posts/P5aXLUby2RE

Wow: A supervisor at Amazon just told me I literally ordered the last Chromecast they had & they sold 500,000 to 700,000 until they ran out around 2:30 pm yesterday.

(No idea if she was yanking my chain but I asked her twice and repeated it back and she said it was a few 100K shy of a million and she estimated 500-700k.) Now they are only from resellers at about a 100% markup. Scalpers...

jvalioli

as a random data point, My sony STR-D700, which has bravia link enabled, does NOT turn on when i stream no matter what i do. Sometimes it changes inputs, but that's it.

Some TVs (like mine; Panasonic) actually separate the CEC switching input option and the CEC turn on TV option.

Rayme

Is there any way to get youtube to automatically start the next episode? Gotten used to that on PS3, and it's nice when you just want the tv playing in the background (working, falling asleep, etc).

Plasmid

I just received my chromecast. I absolutely love it, so seamless and the quality is very good. My girlfriend's laptop can't cast with google cast unfortunately. For some reason i can't go on youtube videos on her laptop and attempt to cast them, is this for the same reason?

I just received my chromecast. I absolutely love it, so seamless and the quality is very good. My girlfriend's laptop can't cast with google cast unfortunately. For some reason i can't go on youtube videos on her laptop and attempt to cast them, is this for the same reason?

You need to download the Chromecast extension for Chrome.

Top Bottom