• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Plasmid

You need to download the Chromecast extension for Chrome.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3209990?hl=en

xinT6tB.png

gLluV64.png

I have an i3 core at home with 8GB of ram so i'll be fine. But i wanted to test it out where i'm at right now. Am i SOL?

Got 3 of them on the way for a couple rooms in the house.

Looking forward to this.

Quick Question for those that got the Netflix 3-month codes....can I stack those (i.e. can I use all 3 of them on my one account)?

Chris R

Still no stick :< Guess it will have to wait until Monday since I had it delivered to my work instead of my house. Last time I order anything physical from the play store heh

kaskade

Man, I wonder when amazon is going to get another shipment. For whatever reason I didn't care too much when it was announced. Now that I'm hearing everyones opinions I want it.

Kwhit10

So I just got an email for my 3 months of Netflix, but why did Google email the gift code to my alternate/used for recovery email address instead of my Gmail address? Are they going people don't check their second email address and they pay less to Netflix?

SimleuqiR

So I just got an email for my 3 months of Netflix, but why did Google email the gift code to my alternate/used for recovery email address instead of my Gmail address? Are they going people don't check their second email address and they pay less to Netflix?

You bought it through the Play Store?

What e-mail does is your Google Wallet account set up with?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Looking forward to this.

Quick Question for those that got the Netflix 3-month codes....can I stack those (i.e. can I use all 3 of them on my one account)?
PM me one, brother.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Man, I wonder when amazon is going to get another shipment. For whatever reason I didn't care too much when it was announced. Now that I'm hearing everyones opinions I want it.

I ordered on the 25th around 10am and mine still says "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

It's not even for me, my Mom wanted one.

sangreal

Looking forward to this.

You can't even stack 1 with an existing netflix gift sub

kehs

Banned
Boo, Chromecast can't do live Youtube streams?

Trying to load up the Killers performing live at Lollapalooza, Chromecast says to choose another video!

I think that's just google's way of telling you, you have bad taste.

I dont get why anyone would buy this over an Android mini pc..

Ease of use is my guess, I won't lie that the "casting" is awesome, it was awesome on google tv* three years ago.

Wag

Just got mine, having trouble setting up my iPad. Should I rename my whole network SSID 'Chromecastxxxx'? Cause I did that and the stupid thing still can't find the Chromecast.:(

Just got mine, having trouble setting up my iPad. Should I rename my whole network SSID 'Chromecastxxxx'? Cause I did that and the stupid thing still can't find the Chromecast.:(

You need the chromecast app for the ipad ( I'm not sure if it has been released yet.) or you need another wifi device like a laptop.

Do you have a non iOS device that connects via wifi? e.g. a laptop

Wag

You need the chromecast app for the ipad, I'm not sure if it has been released yet.

Do you have a non iOS device that connects via wifi? e.g. a laptop

I guess I can see what I can do with my PC.

Nah, no good. I try connecting and it loses connection during the configuration. I guess I'll have to wait for the ipad app. This thing is buggy as hell.

Only issue I have right now is that if I pull up Netflix streaming on my laptop and cast it, I have to tell it to go to the chromecast every time.

Pain in the ass when you're watching 22 minute tv shows.

DirtyLarry

You need to download the Chromecast extension for Chrome.
Mine shipped today, so I went to install the Extension linked to from the OP, and it is telling me I cannot do so on OS X 10.8.4. Really very disappointed, as I was under the impression OS X was in fact supported.

GoogleCastNotSupported.jpg

Anyone have any idea what is going on and why I cannot install it?

Downhome

After owning and using it since launch I can confirm that I live this thing and that it is a HUGE hit with my wife. I'll likely buy one or two more for multiple TVs now.

Allforce

I don't quite understand what this is, just a Roku box on a small little dongle?

I stopped using Chrome awhile ago on my desktop and went back to Firefox, am I shit out of luck? I guess I could use this with my wife's iPhone and my Galaxy S3 tho?

I just received my chromecast. I absolutely love it, so seamless and the quality is very good. My girlfriend's laptop can't cast with google cast unfortunately. For some reason i can't go on youtube videos on her laptop and attempt to cast them, is this for the same reason?

i recall reading somewhere that in order to cast tabs from Google Chrome on a laptop/desktop you need a minimum system requirements set here: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3209990?hl=en

basically, on a windows laptop, the lowest processor required for streaming in "standard" quality. you need a Core i3..

Husker86

Mine shipped today, so I went to install the Extension linked to from the OP, and it is telling me I cannot do so on OS X 10.8.4. Really very disappointed, as I was under the impression OS X was in fact supported.

[IMGhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36855/_puter_/GoogleCastNotSupported.jpg[/IMG]

Anyone have any idea what is going on and why I cannot install it?

I'm on 10.8.4 and have the extension. Are you sure your Chrome installation is up to date? Not sure how it would be outdated since the updates are automatic, but someone else earlier had that same problem and it was because Chrome was outdated.

You should be on version 28.0.1500.71

I guess I can see what I can do with my PC.

Nah, no good. I try connecting and it loses connection during the configuration. I guess I'll have to wait for the ipad app. This thing is buggy as hell.

You downloaded the PC app to configure the chromecast?

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup

What your computer should do is connect to the chromecast (which creates its own wifi network) via wifi and then you should be able to set up the chromecast to connect to your router.

If you did rename your router to whatever your chromecast's name is, your computer could be getting confused by having 2 connections with the same SSID.

Wag

You downloaded the PC app to configure the chromecast?

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup

What your computer should do is connect to the chromecast (which creates its own wifi network) via wifi and then you should be able to set up the chromecast to connect to your router.

If you did rename your router to whatever your chromecast's name is, your computer could be getting confused by having 2 connections with the same SSID.

Fuck it. I have no idea what's wrong. I got a new error message, none of which apply to me:

1. Ensure you are not connected to a VPN. (I'm not)
2. If you have a dual band router, ensure it is not in AP Isolation mode (pretty sure it's not).
3. If your router has MAC whitelisting - your wi-fi network allows this device and Chromecast to join (don't see why not).

OK, so why can't I connect? I'm about ready to give up.

sun-drop

i've ordered two.

i vpn from outside the states to get neflix etc .. via a dd-wrt router and ps3 mainly. sometimes my tablet. vpn is of course slower than going direct to a source ..so i youtube and game on my normal lan

but using the ps3 is a pain because i basically have to manually connect to my vpn router every time i wanna use netflix , and then back to my normal LAN for gaming etc.

just gonna pop two of these in the back on my tv .. one for my normal router, the other for my vpn.

and then i'll be hopping on to netflix with a simple press&hold on my s4's wifi tab.

Fuck it. I have no idea what's wrong. I got a new error message, none of which apply to me:

1. Ensure you are not connected to a VPN. (I'm not)
2. If you have a dual band router, ensure it is not in AP Isolation mode (pretty sure it's not).
3. If your router has MAC whitelisting - your wi-fi network allows this device and Chromecast to join (don't see why not).

OK, so why can't I connect? I'm about ready to give up.

Calm down. I'd be surprised if it's not solvable.

What router do you have?

Does the computer you're using have wifi or is it a wired connection?

Fnord

Got mine in today (a day sooner than was projected by UPS tracking). Two things...

1. You apparently can't configure it with Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). It warned me about it when I logged into it with Chrome, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Didn't work. Worked without a hitch from my 4.2.2 EVO 4G LTE, though.

2. I didn't think things through when I ordered it and forgot to consider sound. I bought this one for my bedroom TV which I mostly use for PS3 related activities. I have the PS3 connected to my TV through HDMI and to my (really cheap, craptacular) "amplifier" through an optical connection. Chromecast doesn't have any audio out except for HDMI. So basically, I can't use it in the bedroom. Threw it in the Sony receiver in the living room, though, and it works like a champ. Pretty cool gizmo. I'll probably snag one for my roommate's TV, too. It just kind of sucks that I can't use it in my room.

thespot84

Got mine in today (a day sooner than was projected by UPS tracking). Two things...

1. You apparently can't configure it with Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). It warned me about it when I logged into it with Chrome, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Didn't work. Worked without a hitch from my 4.2.2 EVO 4G LTE, though.

2. I didn't think things through when I ordered it and forgot to consider sound. I bought this one for my bedroom TV which I mostly use for PS3 related activities. I have the PS3 connected to my TV through HDMI and to my (really cheap, craptacular) "amplifier" through an optical connection. Chromecast doesn't have any audio out except for HDMI. So basically, I can't use it in the bedroom. Threw it in the Sony receiver in the living room, though, and it works like a champ. Pretty cool gizmo. I'll probably snag one for my roommate's TV, too. It just kind of sucks that I can't use it in my room.

most hdtvs have an optical out that will do what the ps3 is doing as well. It may not be ideal but you could always just swap the cable when you want to watch the CC

itxaka

Defeatist
Can anyone explain this to me because Im not getting it.

You use your computer/phone connection so it downloads the media from it an show it on the tv? or does it have its own wifi/3g/whatever?
You can only send content from another device, like it has no interface o it's own? Missed opportuity if true, a imple web front would give much more life to it.

What is the difference between this and a simple raspberry pi with full xbmc and its own connectivity?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Guys I won this eBay chromecast are 45 bucks, any way to check if the seller is legit? I will leave you the link
http://myworld.ebay.com/cas5862

Thanks

kinggroin

Banned
Can anyone explain this to me because Im not getting it.

You use your computer/phone connection so it downloads the media from it an show it on the tv? or does it have its own wifi/3g/whatever?
You can only send content from another device, like it has no interface o it's own? Missed opportuity if true, a imple web front would give much more life to it.

What is the difference between this and a simple raspberry pi with full xbmc and its own connectivity?

It has its own interface and is running android.

All the external devices do, is send an address as an instance and the device plays that media itself using its WiFi connection.

This is great as more and more iOS and android apps add support.

I live outside the USA, and I use a VPN to watch Netflix and other IP-locked content. Does anyone here, who lives outside the USA, own a Chromecast? And, if so, is there any way to configure the Chromecast to connect to content sources via VPN?

Wag

Calm down. I'd be surprised if it's not solvable.

What router do you have?

Does the computer you're using have wifi or is it a wired connection?

I have a Verizon FIOS supplied router, so one of those Actiontech ones. (I was trying to use a Linksys wireless N router hooked up to the Verizon router, but thought maybe it was seeing it as a VPN, so disconnected it) It's a wired connection, but I even tried disabling my wired connection for the config. Still didn't seem to work.

I have a Verizon FIOS supplied router, so one of those Actiontech ones. (I was trying to use a Linksys wireless N router hooked up to the Verizon router, but thought maybe it was seeing it as a VPN, so disconnected it) It's a wired connection, but I even tried disabling my wireless connection for the config. Still didn't seem to work.

I have the same FIOS router and didn't have an issue.

Top Bottom