• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

DarkFlow

Banned
You would think that it would have shipped with that capability. In typical,l Google fashion though, they do things half added.How many employees do they have? Surely one of them would have thought it was a good idea to implement google+ support on release...
How many people would really want Google+ on there tv?

dalVlatko

I just got mine and set it up pretty easily but I've noticed a couple of issues that I can't seem to find a solution to.

When casting Youtube and Netflix, it is is zoomed in slightly and cropping the edges of the picture off. I have a Samsung LN40C630 and I can't seem to find anything on the TV options to fix it. I turned off Full Screen Zoom on the chromecast options but it doesn't fix it.

Anyone else have this problem?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Can any one of you stream a ustream or twitch video for more than 15 minutes?

I streamed that Sony TGS thing this morning and it kept losing a sign every 5 minutes.

It can't be just my laptop. I got a windows 8 laptop attached to my tv with no apps running but chrome and it still loses the signal.

adroit

If I tell my Nexus tablet to play a Google Play video on the Chromecast, does the Chromecast pull the video stream directly from Google Play's server or is the tablet a middleman (tablet pulls the video stream from Google Play's server and relays it to the Chromecast)?

thespot84

If I tell my Nexus tablet to play a Google Play video on the Chromecast, does the Chromecast pull the video stream directly from Google Play's server or is the tablet a middleman (tablet pulls the video stream from Google Play's server and relays it to the Chromecast)?

pulls it directly from the server. Your tablet communicates only remote interactions (pause/play, next, last, volume etc)

Skinpop

I just got mine and set it up pretty easily but I've noticed a couple of issues that I can't seem to find a solution to.

When casting Youtube and Netflix, it is is zoomed in slightly and cropping the edges of the picture off. I have a Samsung LN40C630 and I can't seem to find anything on the TV options to fix it. I turned off Full Screen Zoom on the chromecast options but it doesn't fix it.

Anyone else have this problem?

Is it an older tv? This would happen if the tv doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping. The phenomenon is called overscan, There might be a setting to fix this, if not there isnt much you can do. I have the same problem on my 2007 sony tv.

This is a random solution I found when googling "samsung overscan":
In the end it turns out the solution was exactly what all the forums said, you need to plug the PC in to the HDMI port labeled DVI and then change the name of that port to PC/DVI. The secret sauce, of course, was to figure out how the hell to do that. Select HDMI1 in the sources list and hit the info button and then you get a menu which lets you give sources names. Yay for inscrutable, undocumented, procedures which the support staff don't know anything about. (Even knowing I probably had to rename the source they couldn't tell me how to do that).

dalVlatko

Is it an older tv? This would happen if the tv doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping. The phenomenon is called overscan, There might be a setting to fix this, if not there isnt much you can do. I have the same problem on my 2007 sony tv.

This is a random solution I found when googling "samsung overscan":

on samsung there is usually a "just scan" option in the zoom menu to get a 1:1 image

Its only two years old and for some reason there isn't a "just scan" option.

I managed to fix it by using the screen fit zoom option. I thought screen fit would stretch it but it didn't. I don't know why it wouldn't work when its at 16:9 though.

I got a chromecast a couple weeks back. Great little device so far!

I mostly got it so I could stream Google Play Music to my stereo during parties and the like.

I've ended up using the YouTube app much more, honestly. Have a bunch of people in the house with phones, they all want to share some music... All they have to do is connect to my wifi, cast, and add their favorite videos to the TV Queue. It's fairly simple and AWESOME.

thespot84

I mostly got it so I could stream Google Play Music to my stereo during parties and the like.

I've ended up using the YouTube app much more, honestly. Have a bunch of people in the house with phones, they all want to share some music... All they have to do is connect to my wifi, cast, and add their favorite videos to the TV Queue. It's fairly simple and AWESOME.

Yup, it's what the Nexus Q was meant to be all along.

adroit

I managed to fix it by using the screen fit zoom option.
Yeah, we use Screen Fit on our Samsung for everything except a few cable channels which have some scan lines of pixel crap at the top of them (e.g., our local PBS channel). 16:9 takes care of cropping off that noise.

reKon

Banned

I wish I had this shit in college for when we had people over a lot.

kaskade

I got an update for pocketcasts on my phone (podcast app) and they put in the update notes that chromecast support is ready they just can't unlock it until Google says so. I really wish they would hurry it up.

reKon

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a big chrome cast update planned along with the reveal of Kit Kat and the next Nexus. If not, hurry up with this shit Goog

I have my television connected to a surround sound stereo system. If I'm streaming music via Chromecast, will it continue working if I shut off the TV?

I have my television connected to a surround sound stereo system. If I'm streaming music via Chromecast, will it continue working if I shut off the TV?

Could you clarify your system a bit?

Audio out from the TV goes into receiver audio input? Or is it source goes into the input of the receiver and the video out from the receiver goes to the TV? Where do you plan on plugging the Chromecast into?

Could you clarify your system a bit?

Audio out from the TV goes into receiver audio input? Or is it source goes into the input of the receiver and the video out from the receiver goes to the TV? Where do you plan on plugging the Chromecast into?

Gah, not sure right now. I'll have to check when I return home. Whichever it is, I seem to remember game audio being emitted through the speakers if the TV was off while playing video games, so maybe Chromecast will be similar.

thespot84

It will if you plug the Chromecast directly into an empty HDMI port on a receiver.

true. It will momentarily pause though, to initiate another HDCP handshake once the TV gets removed from the loop (assuming the TV is hdmi as well). Kind of annoying, but it is what it is.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Chromecast has Google's DNS service baked in. Fucking weak. I can't get Netflix to work via Unblock US, since I'm outside the US. It works on my Apple TV just fine. But thanks to Google locking this thing down, I'm screwed.

I could block the DNS via my router but it's a crappy modem/router/phone one from my cable company. I can't switch it out and it's not DD-WRT compatible.

thespot84

Chromecast has Google's DNS service baked in. Fucking weak. I can't get Netflix to work via Unblock US, since I'm outside the US. It works on my Apple TV just fine. But thanks to Google locking this thing down, I'm screwed.

I could block the DNS via my router but it's a crappy modem/router/phone one from my cable company. I can't switch it out and it's not DD-WRT compatible.

you can't put the router in bridging mode?

You could get another router and put it in between the one supplied by your cable company and the rest of your network. I did that to bypass AT&T's router which was built into the modem so I could take advantage of the one I had. Works like a charm.

Ashhong

So everybody happy with their dongle? Thinking about getting one now that it's in stock in places. My biggest gripe with it is that you have to plug in power for it. Thinking 2.0 might do away with that, but who knows how far away that is..

thespot84

So everybody happy with their dongle? Thinking about getting one now that it's in stock in places. My biggest gripe with it is that you have to plug in power for it. Thinking 2.0 might do away with that, but who knows how far away that is..

I own 3, does that answer the question? :)

Dicer

Banned
Just got mine, what cool "extra" stuff can i do with it?

And am I daft or can I not share chrome on my phone/tablet?

DarkFlow

Banned
I love my chromecast, but my damn gf keeps taking it to work. I never get to use it anymore lol.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Parents received theirs today. We found it unable to stream videos in full screen off the Chrome Browser from websites my parents watch streaming video at. I warned them it didn't sound like it would be much benefit for them. Tis a bust.

Netflix and Youtube do work rather well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Parents received theirs today. We found it unable to stream videos in full screen off the Chrome Browser from websites my parents watch streaming video at. I warned them it didn't sound like it would be much benefit for them. Tis a bust.

Netflix and Youtube do work rather well.

The Chrome tab functionality is unstable. I wouldn't rely on it. It's nice but it's more for YouTube and Netflix right now, IMO. Unfortunately :/

I bought mine knowing full well that this thing may only ever support YouTube and Netflix and for that it has been good. The only thing I really want is maybe twitch.tv streaming, Spotify, and playing music from my phone's internal storage.

thespot84

I bought mine knowing full well that this thing may only ever support YouTube and Netflix and for that it has been good. The only thing I really want is maybe twitch.tv streaming, Spotify, and playing music from my phone's internal storage.

Tab streaming will work with twitch and spotify web player.

In the end, it's roughly 80% dependant on your CPU (since all the decoding is done in software, no gpu support yet) and 20% dependent on your network.

My old AMD quad core can't stream for shit, and my laptop's i7-3630qm does a good job with 480p and ok/bad with 720p.

sangreal

The only big complaint I have after a few months use is that the ios netflix app is kind of janky sometimes (plays wrong episode, shows wrong thumbnails) and also I don't like that Netflix doesn't give an option to just play the next episode in a series

Vard

Does DailyMotion through a tab work well enough with the dongle, or is it janky and pretty much just a Netflix and YouTube streamer at this point?

Quasar

Yeah. I had to reroute all dns requests to the google dns servers to unblock us ones with iptables on my router. Hopefully we see other devices supporting googlecast soon (this and there being no wired option are my issues with chromecast).

thespot84

Does DailyMotion through a tab work well enough with the dongle, or is it janky and pretty much just a Netflix and YouTube streamer at this point?

i haven't found it to be site specific, it's your processor doing all the work transcoding, so either it'll be a bottleneck or not in my experience

Top Bottom