• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

ctr2.jpg

"Good Morning, Crono!"
I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, but we're less then 5 days away from the US re-release of one of my favorite games and I didn't see an official thread. Anyway, this is my first one and I'm keeping it minimal for two reasons: first, I don't like bloated OP's and second, most people should know what to expect and if you don't then ruining it would be criminal!
Chrono Trigger DS
Developer: Square Enix
Publisher: Square Enix
System: Nintendo DS
Release Date:
November 24, 2008 - (JAPAN)
November 24, 2008 - (NA)
Q1 2009 - (EU)
MSRP: $39.99
The Basics:
Chrono Trigger is a Square developed RPG that was originally released for the SNES in 1995 and re-made for the Playstation in 1999. The DS remake marks the third release, which contains the anime cutscenes added in to the Playstation version along with additional features. The game uses a modified form of the Active Time Battle system featured in the Final Fantasy series, but is different in the fact that their are no random encounters. Enemies can be seen on-screen before you battle them and when you come in contact with one, the battle takes place right then and there, no switching to a separate battle screen. Magic and special skills are handled through the use of "Techs", which are mostly exclusive to each character and can be combined with others in order to utilize Double and even Triple Techs. The game also contains other features which at the time were quite revolutionary, including fifteen different endings and it was the first Square game to include a "New Game+" mode, which has since become somewhat of a standard.
What's New For The DS Version?
- Two Modes: DS and Classic. DS mode uses the touch screen to walk and pick menu options (it also supports d-pad input). Classic is d-pad input only. There's also the option to turn off the status bar and command menu on the second screen, bringing it more in line with original, if you desire.
- Two New Dungeons: "Dragon's Sanctuary" and "Dimensional Distortion".
- Slightly modified translation... no more Middle English from Frog has been confirmed. Much like the Final Fantasy VI remake for GBA it still uses the original Ted Woolsey translation as a base. Good news, as the original translation was wonderful.
- Contains the anime cutscenes from the PSX version with the added bonus of NO LOAD TIMES! Again, excellent news as load times are what crippled that release.
- Also similar to the PSX version is the Extras mode which includes a bestiary, music player, artwork, and more.
- Monster Battle Arena
- A new ending, bringing the total up to 16!
NA Box Art:
180564b.jpg

Screens:
chrono-trigger-ds-20081023043058872.jpg
chrono-trigger-ds-20081023043107481.jpg
chrono-trigger-ds-20081023043124840.jpg

Videos:
Japanese TV commercial
Dragon Tank Battle
TGS 2008 Japanese Trailer
Previews:
1Up's "Six Reasons" Preview
IGN Hands-On
Reviews:
1Up/EGM: A
Gamepro: 5/5
Game Informer: 9/10
Nintendo Power: 9/10
IGN: 8.8
Bonus item with pre-orders!
crono_CD-BonusLG.jpg

If you pre-order the game at select retailers it comes with the Chrono Trigger Orchestra Extras soundtrack which includes two exclusive tracks:"Chrono Trigger Orchestral Version" and "Chrono Trigger Orchestral Medley". According to VGMDB, the medley consists of Premonition, Guardia Millenial Fair, Longing of the Wind (Wind Scene), Kaeru's Theme (Frog's Theme), Decisive Battle with Maou (Battle with Magus), Epilogue ~To Beloved Friends~ (Epilogue ~To Good Friends~) and Outskirts of Time (To Far Away Times). It's currently available at Gamestop and Amazon.

Also worth mentioning is that the Japanese release goes by the internal language your DS is set to, so if you don't feel like waiting a few days, import copies are now playable in English. Feel free to let me know if there's anything missing or overlooked and I'll add it to the OP. Now get out there and experience one of the best games about time of all time!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This game needs to get in mah DS right now

-Kh-

Banned
I already have that OST, but I want it just because it has 2 extra tracks "Chrono Trigger Orchestral Version" and "Chrono Trigger Orchestral Medley" :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yep, preordered from Amazon some time ago using my $20 coupon that came with Wii Music.
Basically, I'm getting the game, the CD, and another $5 coupon for about $21.xx shipped.

Can't wait.

Wario64 said:
Is the extra bonus out yet?

RevenantKioku posted pictures of the Japanese version in one of the other threads, but I'm not sure if EB/Gamestop has them yet. I ordered mine from Amazon and it ships with the game.

butler980

the mother at the beginning of the game doesnt even say "Good morning Crono". kind of dumb square enix would be advertising that

B.K.

I wanted the game until I found out that Kato was writing some new story segments for the Dimensional Distortion dungeon. I'm not going to touch it now. I'm tired of him changing Chrono Trigger's story to fit better with Chrono Cross.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
B.K. said:
I wanted the game until I found out that Kato was writing some new story segments for the Dimensional Distortion dungeon. I'm not going to touch it now. I'm tired of him changing Chrono Trigger's story to fit better with Chrono Cross.

Awesome! Cross is now officially canon!!

Mejilan

It'd be awesome if this version has an uber-canonical ending that finishes off with a personal apology over Chrono Cross, and an official recanting the game, characters, story, and events.

I'd buy it twice on the DS, for that! ;p

But the good news about Chrono Trigger is that it's so awesome, it can totally survive the worst Chrono Cross can shit out. Easily.

B.K.

Mejilan said:
It'd be awesome if this version has an uber-canonical ending that finishes off with a personal apology over Chrono Cross, and an official recanting the game, characters, story, and events.

I would buy the game if it had end ending that retcons Chrono Cross so that it never happens, but doesn't look like that will ever happen.

zoukka

Yes Chrono Cross port confirmed!

And fuck me, I really don't want to put my moneys on this, but it actually looks better than the original version in those tiny screens...FUCK.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Himuro said:
Is it possible to play the game OG style and without the command menu and status bar on the second screen? That shit is stupid.

That menu looks awful. I want it og style.
You can choose the original style.

Brandon F said:
Awesome! Cross is now officially canon!!

Ha, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but I wouldn't mind it. It's nowhere near the game Trigger was and is, but I loved Cross. But let's not turn this into a Trigger/Cross debate thread, this is all about the return of the O.G. :D

Tiktaalik

The font is terrible and removing the olde english from Frog is pointless and a mistake in my opinion, but new dungeons and modes probably still makes it worth picking up.

However, I don't think I'll get it right away with Square tax and all. I'll pick it up eventually.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
They should add a box quote that says "The prequel to the smash hit 10/10 Gamespot reviewed Chrono Cross!"

Shalashaska said:
I'm looking forward to this. Never played it (I don't like playing long games like these on my computer) and always wanted to.

You're in for a treat. It's not overly long, but you practically have to play through it twice consecutively to unlock some of the endings... which you will probably end up wanting to do.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Chrono Trigger is one of my favourite games, and I'm really looking forward to trying out the new dungeons. I hope the new translation still has at least some of the personality of the original, at least.

Mejilan

The new script is heavily based on Woolsey's original English script, just like FFVIa.
What it does is clean up a lot of the errors, such as Frog's horribly bastardized implementation of olde/middle/whatever English.

baphometbones said:
You're in for a treat. It's not overly long, but you practically have to play through it twice consecutively to unlock some of the endings... which you will probably end up wanting to do.
I've heard about it having different endings, without spoiling it are there key decisions to make that change them or is it more of a gradual thing?

Iam Canadian said:
Chrono Trigger is one of my favourite games, and I'm really looking forward to trying out the new dungeons. I hope the new translation still has at least some of the personality of the original, at least.

Well, like I said, it uses the original as a base so hopefully it's more just a few tweaks here and there instead of entire rewrites. I was sad to see Frog lose his Middle English though. I might be alone in this, but I also hope Ozzy, Slash, and Flea retain their English names.

Gomu Gomu

First timer. Cant's express how hyped I am to play this game. I even bought Chrono Cross to play it after this one :lol

although I am worried about the 16 endings.
I mean, how hard would be to get all of them ? Like, do I have to replay the whole game for an ending ?

Brandon F said:
They should add a box quote that says "The prequel to the smash hit 10/10 Gamespot reviewed Chrono Cross!"

nice :lol

B.K.

They should have completely retranslated it. I don't see why people think Woolsey's translations are so sacred. Any Japanese game that came out before 2001 that gets a rerelease should have a new translation too.

Mejilan

Shalashaska said:
I've heard about it having different endings, without spoiling it are there key decisions to make that change them or is it more of a gradual thing?

The game heavily features time travel. Once things open up a bit, you have a few options as to when/where you fight the final boss. When/where influences the ending, as you might imagine.

Also, certain in-game decisions affect how some character progress, and whether one special character joins the group or not. This too will affect endings.

A major character dies in this game, and you have the means and option to resurrect him. But you don't have to in order to beat the game.
That's changes things up, obviously.

The game features a New Game + mode. Playing through with a souped up replay party opens up even more opportunities to beat the game somewhat out of sequence.

There are all kinds of smaller variances to character-specific segments of the endings.

All told. Good times. :)

Shalashaska said:

Depending on when in the game's timeline you beat it and with who, the ending will change. At one point you can basically choose when or where you want to fight the final boss and that's what determines which ending you receive.

Teddman

- Slightly modified translation... no more Middle English from Frog has been confirmed.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Frog's old english speak was part of the charm of his character, and he's among my favorite characters in any game. Why would they mess with his dialog?

Mejilan said:
The game heavily features time travel. Once things open up a bit, you have a few options as to when/where you fight the final boss. When/where influences the ending, as you might imagine.

Also, certain in-game decisions affect how some character progress, and whether one special character joins the group or not. This too will affect endings.

A major character dies in this game, and you have the means and option to resurrect him. But you don't have to in order to beat the game.
That's changes things up, obviously.

The game features a New Game + mode. Playing through with a souped up replay party opens up even more opportunities to beat the game somewhat out of sequence.

There are all kinds of smaller variances to character-specific segments of the endings.

All told. Good times. :)
baphometbones said:
Depending on when in the game's timeline you beat it and with who, the ending will change. At one point you can basically choose when or where you want to fight the final boss and that's what determines which ending you receive.
Ah, great. Thanks.

I can't wait for this.

B.K.

NeoGAFFer said:
I mean, how hard would be to get all of them ? Like, do I have to replay the whole game for an ending ?

You don't have to worry about getting all the endings. I'm sure the new one they're adding is going to become the canon ending. It's the only one you need to worry about.

The considerable majority of the endings are based on when you choose to fight the final boss. When you play New Game+ (after completing the game once), a secret appears in a certain obvious spot, and using that secret takes you to the final boss. Depending on what you've done so far in the replay of the game, the ending changes.

(I think. it's been a while)

edit: dammit

B.K.

Himuro said:
That's like removing Cyan's middle English and Gau's "Mr. Thou" joke.

Stuff like that NEEDS to be removed though. Woolsey put too much comedy in scenes that didn't need it. That's one of the things I hate about him.

NeoGAFFer said:
First timer. Cant's express how hyped I am to play this game. I even bought Chrono Cross to play it after this one :lol

Be warned, Chrono Cross is almost 100% different then Chrono Trigger. As a game, I like it, but as a CT sequel... it's odd.

Some of the endings are harder to get then others because you might not have access to certain characters at certain points, but only one in particular was very challenging for me. Sorry, I know that's vague, but the endings are a big part and I don't want to ruin it.

Top Bottom