• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

neoism said:
Whats with some of hatin on CROSS, it is an awesome game. Not to mention it has the soundtrack in a game eveeeer!

I will agree that it definitely has a totally awesome soundtrack. But the big problem I always had with Chrono Cross was its name. Had they not linked it to an infinitely better game, I would have thought it was pretty good. But Chrono Trigger had the awesomeness of being able to travel to the same places in many different time periods and affect things in the different times. Chrono Cross has...only two planes of existence, and hardly anything in one plane ever affects the other. Most of the time the best you get is learning something in one plane that can help you in the other. The entire game I was just waiting for it to suddenly introduce a bunch of different planes you could go to and explore and see what different lives were like.

Calling it a sequel to Chrono Trigger, and then giving it totally awesome music, raised my hype for the game, to the point where I was incredibly disappointed with it.

Oh god i could not be more excited. The best version of the best game of all time is coming out in mere days. Also fuck the CC haters. It ties with CT perfectly. Just becuase it doesnt have the same cast and the mood is differernt doesnt mean it should be shunned. CC isn't a sequal to the CT characters its a sequal to the CT universe.

Also people saying CT is just now connecting to CC are wrong. Two of the PS1 cutscenes already connected CC to CT.

And a CC port would be great its harder to find nowadays also cuase its sucks that the game is one of the few PS1 games that doesnt really run well on the PS3 with the random element freeze's and the inability to beat the final boss.

RegularMK

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
CC isn't a sequal to the CT characters its a sequal to the CT universe.

Except for the awful part where Crono, Marle and Lucca get all post FF7 square on your ass, before you fight Miguel. And the whole Schala thing, of course.

Relaxed Muscle said:
This will be my first time playing Chrono Trigger (when it comes to EU), I can't wait.

Anyway, related to this game I always thought this Robo Rolled was a midi remix version of the Rick Astley song "Never gonna give you up", and when I discover, it was the actual Robo theme from Chrono Trigger I was like "WTF... mindblow!!!" :lol :lol

I blame you, Ninty, for not bringing this game back then to EU!!!
Man, Nintendo just can't catch a break these days.

Pojo

Banned
Meh, I thought Chrono Cross was better than Trigger.

Except for the final battle. I mean what the hell.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh, Chrono Trigger. I'm so happy to be able to play you at work.

It also blows me away that all versions have dual language settings. I was really surprised when I noticed that last night.

vareon

Surprised at the Chrono Cross hate here. My biggest problem on the game is its attempt to have a lot of recruitables, Suikoden-style, that results in lack of character's depth, but other than that it's a fine game. Story-wise I liked CT better though.

Also it shuts down a lot of Ayla fanfics :lol

I guess the hate can only be stopped with a Brake.

Jaded Alyx said:
Man, Nintendo just can't catch a break these days.

Well, there was no Squaresoft in Europe those days, and the only one that were bringing RPG's subbed in Spanish to the SNES was Nintendo, but they choosed Illusion of time (Awesome), Terranigma (Awesome) and Secret of Evermore ( ugh...). Of all of the Squaresoft games... yeah they choosed that game, because Europeans were to silly to play turn based RPG's.

Yeah, the amount of characters available in CC was a tad unnecessary. I think my biggest problem was that so many of them were almost direct links to Chrono Trigger, but not quite. I'm talking about
Glenn or the old man possibly being Frog, Guile having ties to Magus, and the cave girl being the spitting image of Ayla
. It's like they tease you with all the similarities only to never fully commit. I can't wait to see the connection to Cross in the new ending.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
vareon said:
Surprised at the Chrono Cross hate here. My biggest problem on the game is its attempt to have a lot of recruitables, Suikoden-style, that results in lack of character's depth, but other than that it's a fine game. Story-wise I liked CT better though.

Also it shuts down a lot of Ayla fanfics :lol

I guess the hate can only be stopped with a Brake.

I think CC is a game with a batshit insane story and great gameplay. I enjoyed the totally wacky story, but it doesn't fit the mood of Chrono Trigger, which had a DQ-esque story: simple, endearing, and whimsical.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Vyse The Legend said:
If the game goes by the internal language setting, does that mean people who imported DSi's are screwed and can't play it in English?

I think you can change the language in the menu inside the game.

Vyse The Legend said:
If the game goes by the internal language setting, does that mean people who imported DSi's are screwed and can't play it in English?

It's been already stated that you can change language in the settings menu of the game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
baphometbones said:
IGN just posted their review. They give it 8.8.

8.8? WTF is wrong with them?

I havent read the review and I already found a grammar mistake in the picture caption. Nice.

thetrin

Wario64 said:

Yeah, I don't know. Not only is CT still a fantastic game, but this DS port is down right amazing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The review is riddled with typos and errors.

That said, it was rather glowing. They mention that this is the undisputed definitive edition of the game, and the translation is significantly improved. They also mention that the game is loaded with a ton of options, from changing controls, changing what info is laid out in combat, and even enabling/disabling specific SNES/PSOne features, for a more customizable experience.

Impressive.

Wario64 said:

I havent read the review and I already found a grammar mistake in the picture caption. Nice.

Yeah, reading through the review, it sounds like their main complaint is that it isn't a full blown remake ala Final Fantasy III or IV. Fuuuuck that, this is Chrono Trigger and you don't mess with perfection by giving it ugly DS 3d.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The only thing CC did better was the music. Its the only reason it should remain in existence

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I think I'll bite this week end... This time I'll beat Lavos!

As for CC, was pretty happy back then to discover the hero had my first name:lol . Game was fun overall, really liked THE TWIST but stopped playing at the 6 dragons thing. I remember not having any clue on where to find them.

Red Scarlet

Dyne said:
I once played through the game multiple times to get every different jury combination. I'm that insane.

Why did that one guy always call me guilty no matter what? I could never figure it out.

That guy is annoying. I've been found not guilty by all 7 jurors before though.
Nothing different happens as compared to 6-1

craker

I picked up the Japanese version yesterday, because it has English translation in it. It's as fun as I remember. I just made it to the future. The remake is so solid and good. I like the art gallery, since the artwork for this game was amazing.

justchris

Chrono Cross is a pretty good game, but it is an absolutely horrid sequel to Chrono Trigger. That being said, retconning parts of CT to make it more in line with CC is no reason not to buy this game. And is totally acceptable if it means they're open to making a new Chrono game to fix everything CC ruined.

Joei

I want to buy a DS just for this game. I have the SNES version and have played it through too many times to count. I never could play the PSX version for reasons people listed.

As for people concerned about the multiple endings, it's really hard to get any but the main one on the first go. Once you start a game with New Game+ and have all your characters leveled up, it's a bit easier because when you do have access to final the boss you'll actually be powerful enough to take it on. Then you can just get them sequentially as they come up on the second playthrough. And yes, there will be a second playthrough. There will likely be a 22nd playthrough.

As for Cross, one day... one day I will play through it, if only for the phenomenal music.

Mejilan said:
Uh... ok. However, I can assure you that the anime cutscenes were on the net well before 2005. :lol

I know, just teasing your choice of verbs. :lol

*squints at grainy postage stamp-sized RealMedia videos from that era*

Frog still comes off as a more refined speaker than the other characters, and he does it without having to sound absurdly out of synch with his 600 AD cohorts.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Red Scarlet said:
You know, I never knew you COULD get him to go not guilty until I saw a video from you, and ever since then I have gotten all 7. No idea what I am doing differently. Let's see what happens this time.

Started playing this game. I'm still not convince in keeping this game as I've played it a bajillion times in SNES. Might return it for another.

Awesome game. Must-buy for anyone that calls themselves an RPG fan.

8.8 is mainly for a virtually unchanged DS port, with a pretty obscure - unfortunate that it's the biggest add-on - multiplayer mode. Not even online with it. It feels like Square thought a new DS was coming sooner rather than later, and was afraid to spend more time blowing this game out even more.

If it was an $8 Virtual Console game on Wii, it'd be a 10. As a $40 DS title, it's one of the smaller "changed port" titles Square has done. Must-own if you don't own any other version, but it's really more just to support the game and show love otherwise. That, and it's a bitchen portable game.

One of my favorite games of all time though. Just... $40 now for what could have been SO much more of an update/upgrade.

That said, hope people buy and love the hell out of this damn game. I plan on beating it again during our holiday break once I get my actual final copy, and not the burns we have to give back.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Red Scarlet said:
What did you have to do? I remember getting them all too, but I don't remember what the deciding factor was.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Bozon-IGN said:
Awesome game. Must-buy for anyone that calls themselves an RPG fan.

8.8 is mainly for a virtually unchanged DS port, with a pretty obscure - unfortunate that it's the biggest add-on - multiplayer mode. Not even online with it. It feels like Square thought a new DS was coming sooner rather than later, and was afraid to spend more time blowing this game out even more.

If it was an $8 Virtual Console game on Wii, it'd be a 10. As a $40 DS title, it's one of the smaller "changed port" titles Square has done. Must-own if you don't own any other version, but it's really more just to support the game and show love otherwise. That, and it's a bitchen portable game.

One of my favorite games of all time though. Just... $40 now for what could have been SO much more of an update/upgrade.

That said, hope people buy and love the hell out of this damn game. I plan on beating it again during our holiday break once I get my actual final copy, and not the burns we have to give back.
This is sensible. Its hard to keep track of which critics factor in price for the review and wich don't.
I didn't reead the review, but I just listen to the podcast instead. Sorry that your hard work writing is for nothing.

Anyway, I'm prolly gonna pick this up. I always tell my wife this is my favorite game and I'm curious if she will like it. I am also curious if it will hold up.

I'm a little sad they decided to mess with the story and dialogue. Most of it is fine, but Frog's accent was charming I thought. It WAS silly, but he was also a talking frog so...

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Staccat0 said:
What did you have to do? I remember getting them all too, but I don't remember what the deciding factor was.

It seems like all you can do to get on their good side is...

1) Talk to Marle before you pick up the necklace
2) DON'T take the woman's lunch
3) DON'T try to get Marle to sell the pendent
4) Bring the little girl her kitty
5) In the trial, say that the accident was all your fault, and that you weren't tempted by her riches at all.

Maybe it's just luck after that.

Aeana

ahoyhoy said:

5) In the trial, say that the accident was all your fault, and that you weren't tempted by her riches at all.

This is what I do, and sometimes I get 6-1, sometimes I get 7-0.

hayama987

ahoyhoy said:

For some reason I thought you also had to do the button mashing drinking game? I've gotten all 7 before but been a while.

-- edit --
actually just got all not guilty just now doing all the above.

Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger.

Better battle system. Better music. Better Art Direction. It's like the perfect fantasy world.

It's like the only time Gamespot has ever gotten GOTY right.

My Arms Your Hearse said:

Better battle system. Better music. Better Art Direction. It's like the perfect fantasy world.

I loved Cross, but madness this way lies.

And lots of derailing.

Frog's english isn't as butchered as I thought it would be, but I only just met him. That new font SE is in love with is pretty bad, I can't even speed read like I use to can on the old font. Oh well.

My Arms Your Hearse said:

Another lost soul.

I should note that I'm not really factoring in story into my conclusions. I don't care about the story of either game really, though Trigger is much better in that regard.

Top Bottom