• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Finally started to play this game after meaning to my entire gaming life (which started hardcore with the golden SNES era). Right now I'm at the part where
Robo aka Prometheus fights the purple robot
. I had to take a huge break of several months because of personal stuff and so there are parts of the story that I can't figure out. Specifically, I don't know where Magus is. And I figure that he's the reason that even though I equip a certain item I can't use the Omega Flare Triple Tech. Hmmm...

Same thing happened to me and I used this strategy guide since you look at the name for your save and it has clickable links to that section and what you have to do. I took a break months ago and forgot what I was doing it and was a big help.

Mikey Jr.

I really dont like how they changed item names. Feels like they changed just for the sake of changing them. Also, fiendlord? Come on.
Having said that, this is the definitive version of CT.

Esiquio

Same thing happened to me and I used this strategy guide since you look at the name for your save and it has clickable links to that section and what you have to do. I took a break months ago and forgot what I was doing it and was a big help.

Cool, thanks. Weirdly, I completed almost every sidequest already without really understanding that it's a sidequest. I'm on The Fated Hour chapter right now, didn't realize that I had practically beaten the game!

ghibli99

Cool, thanks. Weirdly, I completed almost every sidequest already without really understanding that it's a sidequest. I'm on The Fated Hour chapter right now, didn't realize that I had practically beaten the game!
Nothing weird about it... shows how nicely integrated they were into the overall design of the game. Kind of a lost art these days, and they were doing it this well almost 20 years ago!

Guys how is iOS version? I beat this bad boy back in SNES days but would love to play it again, I would prefer iOS as it is more "mobile" as in phone is always with me but if it is worse than DS than I'll just settle for that one instead :)

ghibli99

Guys how is iOS version? I beat this bad boy back in SNES days but would love to play it again, I would prefer iOS as it is more "mobile" as in phone is always with me but if it is worse than DS than I'll just settle for that one instead :)
I seem to remember the iOS version receiving overwhelming disapproval here. I think the only people who thought it was good were those who had never played CT before. I could be wrong, though. I'd say go with the DS version.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
There are some impressions in this short thread. The negatives to me are that it looks blurry and you may feel the controls aren't optimal (there are some decent touch-based tricks for menu interaction though, also mentioned later in the thread), but it's worth having it on the phone imo.

(It took SE a billion years but they eventually released a graphical update to FFT on iOS and it looks great now, so I'm still holding hope that they'll make CT's graphics sharper one day.)

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, playing through lost sanctum before i finish off lavos. Holy fuck this thing is terrible. This is a fetch quest in the worst form possible. Constantly backtracking and retreading the SAME FUCKING AREAS. I have to now go back to the past and collect yellow food for this fucking nu and i think i am about to break. So my question, is it worth doing this garbage until the end? Ive gotten so far already, but there is only so much one man can take.

ghibli99

Hey guys, playing through lost sanctum before i finish off lavos. Holy fuck this thing is terrible. This is a fetch quest in the worst form possible. Constantly backtracking and retreading the SAME FUCKING AREAS. I have to now go back to the past and collect yellow food for this fucking nu and i think i am about to break. So my question, is it worth doing this garbage until the end? Ive gotten so far already, but there is only so much one man can take.
I had read about how terrible this was, so I just used a guide when I did it. That made it go a whole lot faster, and I got all the items. They're cool, but not required for anything. However, I wanted to do everything I possibly could on a single playthrough, so I had to do it.

Mikey Jr.

Just beat lost sanctum. Seriously, this was some developers sick fucking joke. One of the worst things i have played in a while. They should have combined all the areas into one massive dungeon rather than artifically extending it to reach some 5+ hour quota or whatever the fuck they were trying to do. Thank god it is over. Got some decent gear. Nothing earth shattering.

Just finished this game - my first time playing it since the PSX (I owned both the SNES cart and the PSX discs at some point) and my first time completing it (as far as I remember)... Can't believe I waited so long to finally play through it but wow! :) Somehow I'd managed to miss most of the spoilers over the last 17 years and the game was great fun... the running back and forth through time to solve puzzles and get the world set up the way you wanted was neat (kind of loosely reminded me of Maniac Mansion, without the pain). I finished off Lavos and saw the PSX movie ending with Crono and Marle married; how many endings are there?

I'm at the final boss in Chrono Trigger and getting my ass handed to me so I decided to head back for now and... man, there are a lot more sidequests than I thought.

Socreges

Banned
Found a DS copy used and just started. Not too far in (prison towers) , but really enjoying it. The nostalgia still applies somehow since it uses such similar properties to other SNES JRPGs I played. Some music I swear I've heard before. Was this developed by the same team that did FFVI?

Is it worth holding on to gold, or should I be using it to buy new weapons and armour? I feel like I just find the stuff in chests anyhow so why bother. But I also don't know yet if there's any reason to horde money.

And exploration.... I've been going into corners and under foliage and pressing A but have only once discovered something (strength capsule). Is it worth exploring covered areas or should I just keep an eye out for only chests and sparkling items?

ghibli99

Found a DS copy used and just started. Not too far in (prison towers) , but really enjoying it. The nostalgia still applies somehow since it uses such similar properties to other SNES JRPGs I played. Some music I swear I've heard before. Was this developed by the same team that did FFVI?

It's been too long since I last played this, so I'll leave the gameplay-related questions for more seasoned vets. Regarding the development of the game, there are probably better resources, but this is a good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger#Development_history

Socreges

Banned

Psxphile

Is it worth holding on to gold, or should I be using it to buy new weapons and armour? I feel like I just find the stuff in chests anyhow so why bother. But I also don't know yet if there's any reason to horde money.

The game starts with a shop or two open with some advanced gear that may require grinding to purchase, but aren't really necessary. You'll eventually come across them later in chests or in a different shop when you have more GP at your disposal. For the most part, as you encounter new shops and their new wares you'll usually have all the GP you need from normal battling to make incremental upgrades for your available party members as you go (especially if you sell the outdated stuff). Later, as your party list swells, money might become a bit tighter and you'll have to pick and choose who gets new gear. After that, you'll find most of the good stuff in chests or trade and the rest can be easily bought with the oodles of GP overflowing your pockets.

And exploration.... I've been going into corners and under foliage and pressing A but have only once discovered something (strength capsule). Is it worth exploring covered areas or should I just keep an eye out for only chests and sparkling items?

For the most part most treasures are out in the open and you're likely to spot them easily, although some of them you won't be able to get at their contents until the second half of the game. And there's at least one secret (non)item you can find that factors into obtaining on of those rare 'tabs' at a later junction and is (probably) missable. The non-item won't shimmer so you'll have to stumble upon it by investigating everything (maybe I should drawer you a hint?)... also the occasional secret-passage-behind-wall/walk-along-border-to-off-screen-treasure gimmick.

Top Bottom