• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I'm getting this day one but a question--what was the worst thing about the Playstation port, just the load times? If so, how bad are we talking?

bob_arctor said:
I'm getting this day one but a question--what was the worst thing about the Playstation port, just the load times? If so, how bad are we talking?

It's been awhile, so someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I would say 4-5 seconds of load to open the menu screen and 1-2 seconds just before entering a battle. It may not sound like much, but if you played the original it was game breaking. Otherwise, I remember it being decent but I believe the music was also slightly off as well. That shouldn't be a problem with the DS version as Yasunori Mitsuda was involved in reworking the music specifically for the DS.

Himuro said:
Takes 5-7 seconds to load up the main menu.

Lag stutter in the middle of battle.

Battles tend to take an upward of 5-8 seconds to load.

Damn, that's so much worse then I thought. No wonder I only made it halfway through before getting frustrated and giving up.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Shalashaska said:
Ah, great. Thanks.

I can't wait for this.

To follow up on that, having 12-16 endings doesn't mean you have to play through the game 12-16 times to see them all. Not even close. As I said, there are multiple opportunities to engage with the last boss. Some you're meant to lose, some you're meant to avoid, and yet others you have to (but aren't required to) seek them out yourself.

I can't speak for any new endings added to this version, but in the original CT, you could probably manage to get all of the endings within 2 or 3 playthroughs. Especially if you stagger your saves at important story sequences and branch off a bit.

NeoUltima

cryptic said:
Who is that floating there again?

It's been a while since I played CT.
Massive spoilers for CC and CT:
Schala. In CC it is revealed that when Schala was sucked into the mammoth machine, she was absorbed by lavos and the two merged into "the time devourer", which is the boss of the game in CC. Looks like the alternate ending will result in the events of CC never happening.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Himuro said:
Takes 5-7 seconds to load up the main menu.

Lag stutter in the middle of battle.

Battles tend to take an upward of 5-8 seconds to load.

Okay, that's the biggest no-no for me. I could have dealt with the rest (I actually have a copy of FF Chronicles sitting in my basement, untouched). Thx for the info.

Mejilan

Chrono Trigger on the PSOne was a total waste of time if you still had access to the SNES original. The only real addition were the anime cutscenes, which were easily Youtube'd.

Now, you needn't even bother. The DS game looks like a melding of the SNES version's performance with the PSOne version's extra content, and then some!

Gomu Gomu

Teddman said:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Frog's old english speak was part of the charm of his character, and he's among my favorite characters in any game. Why would they mess with his dialog?
Himuro said:
Yeah I can't even imagine Frog without middle English. That's like removing Cyan's middle English and Gau's "Mr. Thou" joke. S-E decided to OVERtranslate Dragon Quest IV ds but then change key parts of certain character traits in CT ds!

now every time I look at the character ,I'll always think "this is not how it's supposed to be, fans say it was better when he used old English " :( .

I don't think I'm gonna be around the OT these days :lol

B.K.

NeoUltima said:
Looks like the alternate ending will result in the events of CC never happening.

If only.
I bet that after you beat the boss, Schala will tell Magus that she can't go with him. Future events depend on her merging with Lavos, but she'll be waiting to meet him in the future. Then she'll to wherever she during the events of Chrono Cross.

Mejilan

NeoUltima said:
Schala. In CC it is revealed that when Schala was sucked into the mammoth machine, she was absorbed by lavos and the two merged into "the time devourer", which is the boss of the game in CC. Looks like the alternate ending will result in the events of CC never happening.

*fist pump*

firehawk12 said:
Wow, nice bonus. Any word of it appearing in Canada?

A quick search of Amazon.Ca doesn't even show a listing for the game itself and EBGames Canadian website is laughable. Sorry, my advice would be to call around.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah,I don't even consider Amazon.ca to be the same as Amazon.com. I think the Pipboy and the Lancer were the only Amazon.com things to come up here...

Looks like I gotta be the dork that asks about pre-order shit in the store again. Ugh. :lol

Nose Master

*flail* I want all my remakes to be exact ports, wah!

Give me a fucking break. Play the originals if your panties are so twisted.

Dyne

JJN said:
I can't wait to eat that old man's lunch

I once played through the game multiple times to get every different jury combination. I'm that insane.

Why did that one guy always call me guilty no matter what? I could never figure it out.

Dyne

Himuro said:

It's no laughing matter. He couldn't talk because he was too busy sitting down!

..Actually, now that I'm grown up, it makes a lot more sense as to why some men of older age cannot sit down whenever they want. :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
B.K. said:
I just read a summary about the ending on Gamefaqs.
It connects the game with Chrono Cross even more.

CROSS HAS OFFICIALLY CROSSED OVER! CANON BITCHES!!

Tiktaalik

Frog's olde english speak made lots of sense I don't know why they would take it out.

1. You traveled back in time 400 years so people would have a more archaic speaking style
2. Frog was a super honorable, chivalrous knight character which explains his super formal tone and why other people from the era didn't use Thou etc.

It's not the biggest thing in the world but I can't understand at all why someone would feel the need to touch a game where the universal consensus is that it's a classic as it is. I guess just arrogance. Meh whatever.

As a huge fan of Chrono Cross I am looking forward to how they further connect the two games. I hope they can some how port CC to the DS.

B.K.

Himuro said:
NOOOOOOO :lol

Apparently, there's more retconning.

When you beat Dalton in his bonus dungeon, he says he'll raise an army in Poore to overthrow Guardia. That means he's responsible for the fall of Guardia that the PSX anime ending shows.

Dyne

Tiktaalik said:
Frog's olde english speak made lots of sense I don't know why they would take it out.

1. You traveled back in time 400 years so people would have a more archaic speaking style
2. Frog was a super honorable, chivalrous knight character which explains his super formal tone and why other people from the era didn't use Thou etc.

It's not the biggest thing in the world but I can't understand at all why someone would feel the need to touch a game where the universal consensus is that it's a classic as it is. I guess just arrogance. Meh whatever.

Plus like, he was living with frogs for a really long time? Maybe he forgot to speak correct olde english?

I really appreciate the new content, new multiplayer, and dedication to the preservation of the music from the SNES, but when I learned they changed Frog's lines, I felt like they had taken my favourite game and stomped all over it with really muddy boots. I'm pretty sure a small kid would be able to finish the game without comprehending Frog's lines. I sure got through it all right.

Tiktaalik

Retconning? I played a few hours of Chrono Cross and I couldn't stand it and I stopped playing. Maybe I shouldn't even touch this port.

Dyne

B.K. said:
Apparently, there's more retconning.

When you beat Dalton in his bonus dungeon, he says he'll raise an army in Poore to overthrow Guardia. That means he's responsible for the fall of Guardia that the PSX anime ending shows.

I can't wait for this game any longer if there's more Dalton content. I loved every second he was on screen. I even made two t-shirts, one of "No, no, no! Stop the music!" and "Mwa ha haha! You are excess baggage!" with a large stylized Aero Dalton imperial.

Mejilan said:
Chrono Trigger on the PSOne was a total waste of time if you still had access to the SNES original. The only real addition were the anime cutscenes, which were easily Youtube'd.

"Square re-released a ported version by TOSE in Japan for Sony's PlayStation in 1999, later repackaged with a Final Fantasy IV port as Final Fantasy Chronicles in 2001."
"YouTube was created in February 2005"

Now granted, time travel is the whole theme of Chrono Trigger, but that would be some effort to go through.

Man, what are they doing screwing up my Chrono Trigger with that Cross nonsense...

Anyway, I'm extremely excited about this

Teknoman

Brandon F said:
Awesome! Cross is now officially canon!!

Thats fine by me actually. Now I can start Chrono Cross after Trigger DS without going WTF every new story section.

Besides its just a small bit right? Its not like they rewrote whole sections of the game.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The bonus disc is just two songs. Haven't opened it yet.

Just did a few battles with the touch screen options, it's pretty nice! I don't know if I'll play the whole game like that, but I'll definitely use the two screens. It's so nice to have all the information on the bottom screen and just have all the action on top. I really like the menus, too.

Rpgmonkey

Guess I'll be getting this pretty soon, as I need a good portable DS RPG to make up for the Hearts delay.

So I guess it's not a total bad situation, looking more forward to the extra content than playing the game over (...again) though.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dude, don't fret about playing this game again. I do it yearly! Game of the awesome!

Rpgmonkey

RevenantKioku said:
Dude, don't fret about playing this game again. I do it yearly! Game of the awesome!

Yeah, I guess.

Haven't played it in a good while anyway, so this should be a pretty new (and fun) experience with all these changes/additions. Good thing I love this game enough that I'd probably have fun playing this without a bunch of new stuff. :D

neoism

Whats with some of hatin on CROSS, it is an awesome game. Not to mention it has the soundtrack in a game eveeeer!

Mejilan

Himu I'll be very disappointed in you if you play this game in the totally unnecessary "old school" mode. The new DS menu interface >>>>> the SNES one.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Wait, are there people seriously considering not getting this because of some retconning? Plot of Chrono, serious business!

This will be my first time playing Chrono Trigger (when it comes to EU), I can't wait.

Anyway, related to this game I always thought this Robo Rolled was a midi remix version of the Rick Astley song "Never gonna give you up", and when I discover, it was the actual Robo theme from Chrono Trigger I was like "WTF... mindblow!!!" :lol :lol

I blame you, Ninty, for not bringing this game back then to EU!!!

Top Bottom