• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

Instro

Jigsaw said:
or just put it on psn?it's free money,i don't know why they wait so long

I dont own a ps3, but I actually assumed it was already on PSN. The reason I said 3DS because Cross hasnt been on a Nintendo platform, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and kickstart the series again on a new platform. Also because Id like a remake rather than a straight port.

Synless

Jigsaw said:
or just put it on psn?it's free money,i don't know why they wait so long
I've been patiently waiting for a psn release. I don't think it's even on the jp store, so I'm sure it's never coming.

Instro said:
Didnt SE say though that fans dont care about the series since it didnt sell millions, or something like that? :lol

Fuck that noise, they probably dont have the talent to make a good Chrono game anymore anyway. Maybe if we are lucky they will remake Cross for the 3DS or something.

why would fans have to buy the same game for the 3rd time to care lol

Bear

Stumpokapow said:
I haven't played it on XL but I'd warn you that the FMVs are reallllly poorly encoded and that's only going to be an issue with the pixel size being bigger, so maybe encourage her to play it with the FMVs off if she's old enough that she'd understand what you mean :p

The FMVs weren't the best quality, but it's passable given how minor a role they play. I'm playing it on an XL right now and there is nothing that warrants turning them off (unless things like that really get under your skin). They weren't bad enough, at that screen size, to really bother me and I really doubt his daughter would care.

ghibli99

I always wonder if bumping an old official thread is kosher, but since the last post was from late '10, I figured this one was only *mostly* dead (i.e., slightly alive).

Anyway, I just wanted to drop in and say that I just started this again this week. This comes after a 2+ yearlong Dragon Quest marathon. I had played CT back around 2000/2001 on the SNES the last time, skipped the PS version, and finally have it again.

I'm really liking it, although it's jarring going from the unbelievably smooth DQ monster animations to the 16-bit era Square stuff, where many of their RPGs had no monster animations and very little character animation. That's OK, though... it's still great to look at, and all the little details in the art came rushing back to me.

I'm only an hour or so into it, having just went back to the past and returned to the present for the first time. I really love the pacing, and the music, although shrunk down on the DS, is still as magical as always. The overall whimsical and energetic feeling of the dialogue and characters is really welcome, too. It's something that I feel is missing from so many modern RPGs that take themselves way too seriously.

Can't wait to get lost in it again.

It's a solid port, though that's probably more due to the quality of the original game. Most of the added in-game content is atrocious, but having all the ps1 media extras, fmv's, music, bestiary, and just CT on the go is nice.

Mikey Jr.

Did they get rid of the old snes opening? I swear to God, I sat at that title screen for so long.

Just keeps playing the fmv.

ghibli99

I would love to know if the original SNES opening is in there as well. Not sure what it is, but there's an open music slot in the sound test (I think it's #2), which I'm hoping is the original opening theme.

Magnus

Loved going through this again a few years ago. It got me through my chicken pox, February 2009.

Still hoping this gets an official port on one of the console DD services and hopefully not just in some kind of useless FF: Chronicles PS1 PSN release, because somehow, the abysmal load times and screwed up music would be present, I'm sure.

ghibli99

After so many Dragon Quests, it's great to play an RPG that lets me save on the world map as well as at various points in dungeons (nice to be able to use shelters, too). I took this for granted for so long throughout the 16-bit era and beyond that it was a jarring change to be so limited with the DQ games. Now I have an even greater appreciation for it.

Really enjoying it... just got to the
End of Time after finishing up with the Robo stuff
, and the memories this is bringing back have been wonderful.

Loto

ghibli99 said:
After so many Dragon Quests, it's great to play an RPG that lets me save on the world map as well as at various points in dungeons (nice to be able to use shelters, too). I took this for granted for so long throughout the 16-bit era and beyond that it was a jarring change to be so limited with the DQ games. Now I have an even greater appreciation for it.

Really enjoying it... just got to the
End of Time after finishing up with the Robo stuff
, and the memories this is bringing back have been wonderful.
On topic: CT is amazing.
Off topic: you have great taste in games

Seda

Got this game recently. I haven't played it yet, but I'm sure I will enjoy it once I collect all 600+ pokemon in Black.

CrunchyFrog said:
It's a solid port, though that's probably more due to the quality of the original game. Most of the added in-game content is atrocious, but having all the ps1 media extras, fmv's, music, bestiary, and just CT on the go is nice.

Completely agree about the added content, especially the reptite cave.

ghibli99

Loto said:
On topic: CT is amazing.
Off topic: you have great taste in games
Thank you! The 16-bit era is definitely my favorite, so I tend to gravitate towards games that have the same sensibilities.

Back to CT, right now I'm at Zenan Bridge and still having a fun ol' time. I did have a brain fart where I didn't think to go to the
chef
to trigger the events that followed, which is funny to think back on since they made such a big deal about the relationship in an earlier scene.

ghibli99

One thing that's really standing out (I just beat
Magus
) in this game relative to all the DQ games I played is how varied and strategic the boss battles are. Heck, even some of the regular battles require some thinking or else you get pummeled. I like that you have to think about things like battle order, what type of magic/element to use, having to really pay attention to messages that pop up, and ensuring that you time things out correctly in order to get your double and triple techs in before one or more characters get KO'd. It's pretty challenging, and you feel accomplished when you finally take one down.

Playing through this again, I can't help but weep a little bit inside that the series stopped at Chrono Cross over ten years ago. :(

LevityNYC

Banned
Top 5 game of all time for me. Love it. The music, the settings, the characters....too bad Chrono Cross sucked and Square is a shell of its former self and will never release games this good again.

ghibli99

LevityNYC said:
Top 5 game of all time for me. Love it. The music, the settings, the characters....too bad Chrono Cross sucked and Square is a shell of its former self and will never release games this good again.
Chrono Cross was a slower and less focused game than Chrono Trigger, but I wouldn't say it sucked. It certainly had one of the most stunning soundtracks of the 32-bit era, and I liked that Nobuteru Yuki did the character designs. Lots of great moments and some nice nods to the first game... way too many characters really hurt it, though, and I thought it was missing that positive, energetic vibe that made Chrono Trigger so damn fun to go through. Games sure got serious in the 32-bit era for some reason.

I agree that Square could use some sort of reset, or at least they need to take a step back and reevaluate what they're doing, particularly with their FF games. I am, however, looking forward to 3rd Birthday. Please be good!

I picked this up off Goozex last week and just wanted to chime in on how well the game holds up even in 2011. A lot of the designs in this game that wow'ed me in 1996 still floor me today. Within the limitations of what they had to work with, they managed to flesh out a game where the results and consequences of time travel are conveyed perfectly. Most games today don't even do that. Instead of a sequel, I wish the "Dream Team" that developed Chrono Trigger would come together and do another game which is probably impossible since they're all scattered at this point.

ghibli99

Still making my way through... at the
Mountain of Woe
, and am fighting the equivalent of Metal Slimes here for good XP/TP. Love the area designs, and forgot just how freakin' cool
Zeal
is. Man, this game. Sooo good.

Joei

Gully State said:
I picked this up off Goozex last week and just wanted to chime in on how well the game holds up even in 2011. A lot of the designs in this game that wow'ed me in 1996 still floor me today. Within the limitations of what they had to work with, they managed to flesh out a game where the results and consequences of time travel are conveyed perfectly. Most games today don't even do that. Instead of a sequel, I wish the "Dream Team" that developed Chrono Trigger would come together and do another game which is probably impossible since they're all scattered at this point.

Are you saying this game "stands the test of time?" hardy har har

JaseMath

The original is coming to the Japanese VC next month. NA soon...? I love the DS version, but the added content is disappointing and I'll take a VC port over the DS version any day.

JaseMath

Zeouterlimits said:
I prefer the old translations, I like the old font used throughout (the DS version is hard to read IMO), the soundtrack is supposedly better (since there are subtle differences in the DS version) and I'd rather play it on a bigger screen with a traditional controller. I also grew up with the SNES version (the version w/o the cutscenes), so there's sentimental reasons as well.

JasonMCG said:
I prefer the old translations, I like the old font used throughout (the DS version is hard to read IMO), the soundtrack is better and I'd rather play it on a bigger screen with a traditional controller. I also grew up with the SNES version, so there's sentimental reasons as well.
Ah, righteo. Agree on some bits of the translations e.g. Antiquity

The DS version doesn't have the awesome battle echo in Magus' Castle. SNES superior version confirmed!

If they bring it over for VC, I will buy it again. 100% chance.

Cranzor

I'm not much of an RPG person and I tried to play this a while back. I got 6 hours in and just couldn't get into it. I think I'm going to try it again by playing it on the 3DS, hopefully I like it better this time.

Joei said:
Are you saying this game "stands the test of time?" hardy har har

comics_bwHobbes.gif

ghibli99

I like just about everything better on SNES, too: colors, sound, font, etc.

I can live with the sacrifices that had to be made for the small screen, however. Having CT portable, and being able to play it anywhere is huge. So much of this game seems new to me after not having played it in about a decade.

ghibli99

Finishing up all the sidequests and rounding out all my Tech lists right now, but at only around 23 hours, I forgot how short this game is, even if you do everything. This doesn't include NG+ to get all the other endings, but I'm guessing I'll be at sub-30 hours by the time the credits roll. In this case, much like games like Uncharted 2 and SotC, it's definitely quality over quantity. It's been top-notch the entire way through.

ghibli99

Getting close to the end. One of the more disturbing realizations is that when I played this back in '01, I didn't complete all the final sidequests. Not gonna make that mistake this time. :)

And on a related note, I love that the sidequests are all quite meaningful and add a lot of depth to the storyline and the characters. This game isn't just as good as I remember... it's better.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
ghibli99 said:
Getting close to the end. One of the more disturbing realizations is that when I played this back in '01, I didn't complete all the final sidequests. Not gonna make that mistake this time. :)

And on a related note, I love that the sidequests are all quite meaningful and add a lot of depth to the storyline and the characters. This game isn't just as good as I remember... it's better.
Felt the same way. Not a lot of older games have that effect.

I just received my copy from Amazon. I haven't opened yet because it doesn't have the black sticker that says that the poster is included...

Is that the only way to know if the poster is going to be included?

Emitan

Fernando Rocker said:
I just received my copy from Amazon. I haven't opened yet because it doesn't have the black sticker that says that the poster is included...

Is that the only way to know if the poster is going to be included?
It was supposed to have a poster? I don't think mine did. Ordered this a few months ago from Amazon.

Billychu said:
It was supposed to have a poster? I don't think mine did. Ordered this a few months ago from Amazon.

Yeah... the first run has a limited edition poster included. My local K-Mart still have those copies. I guess I will have to flip it.

ghibli99

Very nice that first run copies are still in stores. I'm too lazy to look, so I just bought one off of eBay.

The bigger purchase was a mint copy of CT for the SNES. I knew I should've kept my copy from the '90s...

rdaneel72

I just finished this for the first time, ever, a couple weeks ago. It is fantastic, and worthy of much praise.

So, envy me, for I just played through Chrono Trigger, for my first time!

The Hermit

MikeE21286 said:
what a nice bump....makes me want to go back and experience it all over again
I still can't beat fucking Lavos

really? RPG is probably one of the genres that I suck the most, yet I found the entire game quite easy.

malfcn

Playing it. Other than making time disappear (not a bad thing), I am having a hard time feeling strongly attached. Am I just one of those people that can't get into the genre?

ghibli99 said:
Very nice that first run copies are still in stores.

No, it's not. That's one of the reasons why we'll never, ever see another Chrono game.

The DS remake sold like shit.

Baiano19 said:
really? RPG is probably one of the genres that I suck the most, yet I found the entire game quite easy.

The game is incredibly easy if you figure out the enemy weaknesses and grind maybe 3 times in the entire game for a little while.

The only problem I ever had was running low on ethers during my first run.

Top Bottom