• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS: The |OT|

carlo6529

I own a copy of the ps1 version. Missed out on the SNES version =(

Is the DS version still in production? or would I have to buy it used?

ghibli99

Regarding the game's difficulty, it's not the hardest game out there, but you'll get destroyed if you just try to pound your way through. I found certain battles to be very strategic in terms of what order your characters executed their commands, and it's helpful to have certain characters (like healers) wait with a full bar until they are needed. I used a good number of MegaElixirs when fighting Lavos, too. Like DQ games, sometimes you just get really unlucky with what attacks/spells bosses come at you with. They can wipe you out fast if you're not careful.

Mister Wilhelm said:
No, it's not. That's one of the reasons why we'll never, ever see another Chrono game.

The DS remake sold like shit.
I guess I was talking about it more from a collector's standpoint of finding the one w/ the poster in it. I mean, it must have sold at least decently if there was a second printing, right?

ghibli99

Oh, and regarding CT DS's sales, didn't it originally come out at $40 back in '08? This is one of my favorite RPGs ever and all, but seriously, $40 with very minimal updates/changes? No wonder it didn't sell.

Loto

ghibli99 said:
Oh, and regarding CT DS's sales, didn't it originally come out at $40 back in '08? This is one of my favorite RPGs ever and all, but seriously, $40 with very minimal updates/changes? No wonder it didn't sell.
And no marketing from what I recall.

ghibli99 said:

It definitely should have been $35 but there was a decent amount of extra content added to it.

The problem was the extra content was shit, it came out for a system that is notoriously easy to pirate games for, and there was crap advertising behind the release.

ghibli99

That's too bad. I'm really excited to play the PSP remake of FF4 in a few weeks. When I see that and think about what they could've done to refresh Chrono Trigger, it bums me out. Never say never, though... seems bleak, but then again, I never would've thought I'd see the day where we'd have every DQ game released stateside (in one form or another), but that's finally a reality.

Roklie

The game is still about 40€ in my country, the only thing that keeps me from getting it on DS. But on the other hand Chrono Trigger will eventually be released on VC too so maybe I'll just wait for that.

Lothars

ghibli99 said:

It was fully worth the price in 08 as well, I would have recommended any RPG fan to pick it up, to me it's one of the big reasons to still own a DS.

Plus the extra content is kind of cool especially the extra dungeons and the movie endings.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just recently bought this game at Gamestop for 20 bucks used. Works just fine, great game so far! My friend went to ultimate electronics and got one for 10 bucks since they are closing, the lucky bastard!

ghibli99

Lothars said:
It was fully worth the price in 08 as well, I would have recommended any RPG fan to pick it up, to me it's one of the big reasons to still own a DS.

Plus the extra content is kind of cool especially the extra dungeons and the movie endings.
It's been so long, but wasn't FF Chronicles on the PlayStation $20? And you got FF4, too. $40 for CT only just felt like Square being greedy.

I agree with you that it's worth the money, but if you're going to sell it to us for a 3rd time, don't take us for fools. And yes, if you want to attract a new audience, put some money into advertising it.

malfcn

I got the Masamune sword, but a little confused where to go. Been playing super late, so I got it while half asleep..

DJ_Lae

I've had it for a while but never finished it (I've beaten Chrono Trigger before dozens of times) as I didn't have the drive to do the extra dungeon.

I finished that off last night and it was...pretty bad. I mean, the concept was fine, but holy shit at it being nothing but fetch quests. And when the fetch quests involve you running up a convoluted map to the top of a mountain, back down again, into Epoch, traveling in time, running back up the mountain again, running back down, over and over again, it gets really old. I understand there's another dungeon once I beat the game, so maybe that one fares better, I dunno.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ghibli99 said:
It's been so long, but wasn't FF Chronicles on the PlayStation $20? And you got FF4, too. $40 for CT only just felt like Square being greedy.

I agree with you that it's worth the money, but if you're going to sell it to us for a 3rd time, don't take us for fools. And yes, if you want to attract a new audience, put some money into advertising it.

pretty sure chronicles and anthology both came out at 40, origins I believe was 30 or 20.

ghibli99

One thing that just struck me is how restrained the ending song is. Listening to it earlier today, it actually stirred up a lot of emotion in me. What a brilliant track.

malfcn

Looks like I have to go to the Magic Cave or something, which is just a big wall. Was there something that told me to go there? I feel like I am missing elements of direction somehow.

Seda

malfcn said:
Looks like I have to go to the Magic Cave or something, which is just a big wall. Was there something that told me to go there? I feel like I am missing elements of direction somehow.

You need to get the Masamune forged by Melchior, then you need to visit Frog in 600AD

Spoiler tag just in case.

malfcn said:

No, in this game you just have to kind of figure things out sometimes.

JRPG...you know...

ghibli99

Fernando Rocker said:
Gahhh... I want to to play the game!

I just can't open the game because it isn't the version with the limited edition poster...
Pick up a 2nd run copy for $15 and keep that other one sealed.

ghibli99 said:
Pick up a 2nd run copy for $15 and keep that other one sealed.

I ordered the game from Amazon last week for $15... it wasn't the first run, because it doesn't have poster.

But, my local K-mart still has the first run with the poster included. I'm going tomorrow to K-mart to buy that version, and then in a few hours I'm going to return the Amazon copy to K-mart. Both games have the same UPC.

ghibli99

Fernando Rocker said:
I ordered the game from Amazon last week for $15... it wasn't the first run, because it doesn't have poster.

But, my local K-mart still has the first run with the poster included. I'm going tomorrow to K-mart to buy that version, and then in a few hours I'm going to return the Amazon copy to K-mart. Both games have the same UPC.
Gotcha.

I've had this game in my backlog for AGES and just never got around to playing it. I'm out of town right now so I thought I had DQ6 with me but noticed that I accidentally grabbed Chrono Trigger instead by mistake!
What a great mistake!
I have never played this game before. I skipped it on SNES because I didn't start liking RPG games until I played the DQIV remake on DS just a couple years ago.

I'm only 5 hours in but I can already see the magic here. The game is so charming and the story is presented in a straight forward but interesting way.

Great characters too. Frog is super cool.

What a fool I was for skipping this when it was first released on SNES.

I was having a discussion with a co-worker about this game and when we got to the characters, I mentioned how Ayla is actually
Marle's great great great etc. grandmother
and he said he never knew that was the case.

At the end of the game,
Marle's family members from throughout time are shown and Kino is one of them. Since it is implied, quite strongly, that at some point Kino knocks Ayla up, she is clearly Marle's dino-age grandma.

I'm just curious how many other people played this game and got that ending but never noticed this?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Mister Wilhelm said:
I was having a discussion with a co-worker about this game and when we got to the characters, I mentioned how Ayla is actually

At the end of the game,
Marle's family members from throughout time are shown and Kino is one of them. Since it is implied, quite strongly, that at some point Kino knocks Ayla up, she is clearly Marle's dino-age grandma.

I'm just curious how many other people played this game and got that ending but never noticed this?

I thought it was pretty obvious.

Mister Wilhelm said:

At the end of the game,

I haven't played CT since SNES days, but I played the shit out of it back then. Not only did I not know this, but I don't remember the scene you reference either. so...

MIND BLOWN

Gryphter said:
I haven't played CT since SNES days, but I played the shit out of it back then. Not only did I not know this, but I don't remember the scene you reference either. so...

MIND BLOWN

That was the case with him, too.

The scene happens
when you beat the game and get the "good" ending

I just finished the game. Incredible.

I can't decide if Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest V is my favorite RPG of all time. They are both so amazing.

ghibli99

added_time said:
I just finished the game. Incredible.

I can't decide if Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest V is my favorite RPG of all time. They are both so amazing.
Congrats! Did you mess around w/ New Game+ at all? Some of the other endings are fun to get. :)

dc89

I have never played this game but I've heard so much about it. I like RPG's as a whole so should I just take the plunge and get it?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
dc89 said:
I have never played this game but I've heard so much about it. I like RPG's as a whole so should I just take the plunge and get it?
It's an RPG released in 1995 for the SNES, designed, conceived, and supervised by Yuji Horii and Hironobu Sakaguchi, with art by Akira Toriyama, produced by kazuhiko Aoki, written by Masato Kato, and scored by Mitsuda and Uematsu.

What do you think? :)

soldat7

One of the best games ever made. Thinking of picking this up on VC as well because I want my kids to watch me play through it. They just watched me play and complete A Link to the Past. I believe in a proper education. ;)

Javier

dc89 said:
It's one of the best games ever made. TRULY ambitious for what the SNES was capable of.

ghibli99

soldat7 said:
One of the best games ever made. Thinking of picking this up on VC as well because I want my kids to watch me play through it. They just watched me play and complete A Link to the Past. I believe in a proper education. ;)
Now that's parenting that I can definitely support.

gwarm01

Wait, Chrono Trigger is available on the VC? I have it on DS, but I'd probably bite for a chance to play it on the big screen and show my wife what CT is all about. Really kicking myself for selling my SNES cart back in highschool.

My brother got a copy of CT DS as a gift for me in late May (he found it mint and complete with the poster for only 10 bucks at a local used video store, quite a steal, only drawback was having to start new games over all three existing files in order to overwrite the already completed data from the previous users) and I'm absolutely loving it, great port. Due to getting sidetracked with buying my 3DS and OoT last month, I haven't gotten much farther than the arrival End of Time but I started playing it again consistently this weekend while on a roadtrip. This will be first play through since I first beat it way back in summer '96 on our old SNES cartridge. I can't believe how tough those evil Robos are after all these years, it took me about five tries before they finally went down. lol Can't wait to get to the Prehistoric age (my fave era next to the Future and Kingdom of Zeal). Looks fine on a 3DS screen too btw both in standard and original res mode.

So I didn't realize how you get the different endings. After I beat the game is there a way to get those different endings or do I have to start the game all over again?

GSR

So I didn't realize how you get the different endings. After I beat the game is there a way to get those different endings or do I have to start the game all over again?

Well if memory serves there's basically two possible endings for your first runthrough:
the one where Crono's still dead and the one where he's still alive
, with some variations depending on
if you crashed the Epoch into Lavos or used the bucket
. All the other endings have to be gotten by doing a New Game Plus and using the bucket or new secondary portal at the Millennial Fair (which basically acts the same as the bucket) at various points in the story.

There is also another "ending" you can get by finishing some of the bonus dungeons added in the DS re-release. Load up your most recent save and there'll be some strange portals on the map. Once you finish all three of them, you'll have access to a new location from the End of Time which features a new final boss tying things to Chrono Cross.

Well if memory serves there's basically two possible endings for your first runthrough:
the one where Crono's still dead and the one where he's still alive
, with some variations depending on
if you crashed the Epoch into Lavos or used the bucket
. All the other endings have to be gotten by doing a New Game Plus and using the bucket or new secondary portal at the Millennial Fair (which basically acts the same as the bucket) at various points in the story.

There is also another "ending" you can get by finishing some of the bonus dungeons added in the DS re-release. Load up your most recent save and there'll be some strange portals on the map. Once you finish all three of them, you'll have access to a new location from the End of Time which features a new final boss tying things to Chrono Cross.

Ah, so it is intended after an initial playthrough. I was afraid was missing endings on the first time since it showed them when I looked at a walkthrough online. Thanks.

Christopher

It also perhaps didn't sell well cause they were charnging full price for a Super Nintendo title...it could have had some enhanced graphics, with the original as an extra. Just seemed very lazy to farm this out at full price instead of putting it on the Virtual Console.

The DS version was my first playthough of the title, and I thought it was "ok" didn't live up to the hype that gaf makes it out to be...but maybe because that was also a lot of first people's RPG here. I still found the music charming and the characters great...just the story seems to lose steem half way through.

Esiquio

Finally started to play this game after meaning to my entire gaming life (which started hardcore with the golden SNES era). Right now I'm at the part where
Robo aka Prometheus fights the purple robot
. I had to take a huge break of several months because of personal stuff and so there are parts of the story that I can't figure out. Specifically, I don't know where Magus is. And I figure that he's the reason that even though I equip a certain item I can't use the Omega Flare Triple Tech. Hmmm...

Top Bottom