• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so bad once you can get to the point when their workers are overeducated, and they have green roads in all services.

And parks. Always parks. Especially after the commercial demand bug has been fixed - lay parks with impunity! All the building upgrades will end up making you far more in the bank than what the maintenance costs of the park will cost ya!

strata8

Built another roundabout interchange/intersection thing. It's much smaller, capacity is a bit worse but not by a lot. I think it's the most compact you can make one of these.

MDwH49e.jpg

x1SSr1r.jpg

Workshop link if you're interested:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410798369

At some point I'm going to have to get back to playing my city.

Jintor

hnggghhh. gorgeous.

So my garbage dump situation is still going unresolved, having to keep an eye on one and just manually empty the shit out of it. my traffic MOSTLY works but it keeps getting curbstomped by a fleet of garbage trucks descending on all dumps simultaneously and attempting to haul trash to the incinirators in one fell swoop. Overloads the network and next thing you know it's congestion across the entire city.

this is probably a preview of how screwed I am when I hit higher than 20k

Getting a mite annoyed at how roads will sometimes arc uncontrollably when you convert/attach highway ramps. Had a perfect circle above a highway turn into a flat pancake when I attached a ramp.

...it'd be nice if there was a circle road-drawing tool

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Built another roundabout interchange/intersection thing. It's much smaller, capacity is a bit worse but not by a lot. I think it's the most compact you can make one of these.

MDwH49e.jpg

Very nice, is that using highway ramps to make the circle? I tried making a compact roundabout similar to this the other night but couldn't make it look nice so I just went big as I normally do instead. Subscribed it!

Grief.exe

How are you guys designing your cargo ship intersection?

I didn't notice backup, so the need for optimization isn't necessarily there, but I did notice the cars doing some screwy things.

strata8

Very nice, is that using highway ramps to make the circle? I tried making a compact roundabout similar to this the other night but couldn't make it look nice so I just went big as I normally do instead. Subscribed it!

Yeah they're offramps, though you have to use one-ways and then upgrade because you can't snap to the grid using highway parts. The main advantage is the higher speed, plus the fact that people on the roundabout generally won't stop for traffic entering it.

But thanks!

Aiii

So not worth it

MDwH49e.jpg

x1SSr1r.jpg

Good stuff, I hate how complex some people make theirs, nearly impossible to place, this will do me nicely at some point. Thanks.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I only had a bit of time to play yesterday... So I spent an entire hour redesigning my roads.

Cities: Skylines | Intersection Manager 2015

Gr8one

Long time lurker coming out of the shadows. I love this game and decided to come out of hiding to i'd share some some of my experience and a major issue I've been running into. I have the digital deluxe edition and to unlock the Eiffel Tower you need 30,000 squares of industrial (that's close to 3 map tiles of industrial), at around 270k population I finally unlocked the damn thing.

Traffic was ridiculous on my major arterial roads and highways, as you can imagine with so much industry in the city. I had to rebuild highways, fix interchanges, try different combinations of roundabouts and frontage roads and a built a spaghetti monster network of on and off ramps to keep from the lorries from plugging up my road networks.That was a blast btw, love that aspect of the game. I had to budget for a ludicrous amount extra fire departments (and free smoke detectors) because industrial building catch fire at an absurd amount, and because industrial traffic blocks most of my fire trucks. It wasn't always helpful and I was left bulldozing burnt down buildings.

To make things more difficult RCI demand had been pretty much flat-lining even before my city hit 200k population. For the last couple of days playing I spent most of my time watching Netflix and once in awhile peaking at my city to see if any demand increased, so I could zone a couple blocks here and there, pretty damn boring play experience.

That's my biggest issue with the game at this point, the slow growth I experienced after about 7 city tiles filled. I tried a few things to try to boost RCI demand lowering taxes for high density residential, tried tax break policies, more residents means more people needing jobs. Was there any change to RCI demand? Nada. It would take 30 minutes for a small area of high density residential I zoned to get built. I tried lowering Industrial taxes and offering breaks. Any demand anywhere? Nothing. It took about 4 hours last night of me letting my city run in the background to go from 29,000 to 30,000 industrial squares.

After unlocking the Eiffel Tower I felt relieved that this ordeal was over and now I could try to max my population on the city, and get those damn lorries off my highways. I de-zoned a small area of industrial hoping to slowly shift my city from an industrial city to a service city with more commercial and offices. I thought some of my demand issues were a result of my workers being highly educated and overqualified for a lot of the industrial work I was forcing on them. But demand remained flat and after about an hour I got frustrated and I thought, "i'll force my citizens into these goddamn offices" and de-zoned a whole district of industrial. My unemployment went from 3% to 13%. My cims needed jobs but there was still very little CI demand. I have an educated population and even at 1% taxes on offices I can't get these cims to take cushie office jobs.After another hour of no demand or growth I shut down the game in frustration.

Anyone else with a big city having these RCI demand issues? I have low crime, excellent service coverage including mass transit options, low taxes and I can only get a small trickle of RCI growth. It would take years to re-zone my industrial to office and max out my population at this pace.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I also realized something yesterday:

Know how you can't build anything on highway ramps? E.g. Train stations?

BUT if you build the train station on a road, then tear down the road and replace it with a highway ramp, trucks will actually use the highway ramp to access the train station. Means you can make nifty single-lane offshoots for trucks to unload/load cargo and can avoid wonky lane-changes on oneways.

jtb

Banned
At what population does high-density zoning unlock? I want to try this population balancer mod, which properly populates skyscrapers but it also penalizes low density buildings so I'm wondering if it'll make the beginning a little longer.

Gr8one

At what population does high-density zoning unlock? I want to try this population balancer mod, which properly populates skyscrapers but it also penalizes low density buildings so I'm wondering if it'll make the beginning a little longer.

7,000 pop. You can see all the milestones and what they unlock on the skylines wiki here

RS4-

I wish there was a way to plop down parks and tourist spots without the need for actual road access. I know you could just zone the road, plop the asset down, then bulldoze the road, but issues come up when crime/dead bodies show up there.

Anyone else missing their Zen Gardens? Because I just loaded my city and suddenly buildings started complaining about land values and my gardens are missing :(.

I guess it has something to do with them giving them away like candy.

Anyone else missing their Zen Gardens? Because I just loaded my city and suddenly buildings started complaining about land values and my gardens are missing :(.

Zen Gardens? Odd bug.

Either way they're planning to just give out Zen Gardens to everyone because someone goofed up at distribution.

Whoa, this game looks interesting. Bigger cities than in Simcity 2013? Cool.

Yep! Bigger city areas. You've got basically the equivalent of 9 SimCity 2013 tiles, or 2.25 of the largest SimCity 3000/SimCity 4 tiles to build on. Though, building scale is also something to take care of, and the buildings in Skylines are reaaaally small and have a population to match, so don't expect a city full of actual high-rises tightly packed or a high population count.

Though, people complaining about SimCity 2013's city size may be half right, half wrong - I believe 4x4km cities were actually introduced in SimCity 3000 and 2x2 was all you got in SimCity 2000. On the other hand, buildings were also much smaller in SC2000/3000 - in SC2000 terms, each high-rise building in SC2013 would take about 6x6. I don't think I've seen a building larger than 3x3 for RCI buildings in SC2000. The effect of both large individual buildings and small overall city size, even if it's the same as SC2000, has a knock-on effect.

Mengy

Did you activate the code in the Steam client? Once I did that after I got the email (a few days ago) and started the game it was in the parks tab, towards the end of the list.

Zen Gardens? Odd bug.

Either way they're planning to just give out Zen Gardens to everyone because someone goofed up at distribution.

Yep! Bigger city areas. You've got basically the equivalent of 9 SimCity 2013 tiles, or 2.25 of the largest SimCity 3000/SimCity 4 tiles to build on. Though, building scale is also something to take care of, and the buildings in Skylines are reaaaally small and have a population to match, so don't expect a city full of actual high-rises tightly packed or a high population count.

Though, people complaining about SimCity 2013's city size may be half right, half wrong - I believe 4x4km cities were actually introduced in SimCity 3000 and 2x2 was all you got in SimCity 2000. On the other hand, buildings were also much smaller in SC2000/3000 - in SC2000 terms, each high-rise building in SC2013 would take about 6x6. I don't think I've seen a building larger than 3x3 for RCI buildings in SC2000. The effect of both large individual buildings and small overall city size, even if it's the same as SC2000, has a knock-on effect.

It's not the end of the world but I really like to use them because they are same size as biggest buildings are, 4x4 tiles if I remember right instead of 4x5 or 5x4 that is the next size.

Did you activate the code in the Steam client? Once I did that after I got the email (a few days ago) and started the game it was in the parks tab, towards the end of the list.

Yes.
I was already using those yesterday and earlier today but now they vanished. :<

Mengy

Whoa, this game looks interesting. Bigger cities than in Simcity 2013? Cool.

Yes, bigger. MUCH bigger.

Scale is definitely a factor, because even one tile in CSL feels bigger to me than one Simcity 5 city did. But yeah, you can unlock up to 9 tiles normally in CSL, but with a mod you can open up 25 city tiles. So yeah, a city in CSL can be at least 25 times larger than a city in Simcity 5. It's damn fine.

NimbusD

Oh man, this fucking game. Just wanted to play a little bit and then before you know it I'm up till 4 in the morning. At work right now and so fucking tired.

My city is such a shitty mess, but I love just figuring out how to do things properly on my own. It's kinda crazy that my population keeps growing faster than I can actually get around to fixing and optimizing things. I have a feeling this is going to bite me in the ass later.

Right around the time I stopped I started having a problem where a crap top of buildings I had just started to become abandoned all at once, but as far as I can tell there wasn't really a reason, all the different utilities where in the green, no one was complaining about taxes or anything. Guess that's just how it goes? I'm sure I'll figure it out soon?

EDIT: Ohhh, I think I figured out what's going on. Built a university and now everyone wants office jobs. Yeesh. Entitled mofos.

Are there any negatives to letting the demand for zones stay at max until I get cash reserves?

I feel like I am continuously expanding and never having enough money.

Giever

Are there any negatives to letting the demand for zones stay at max until I get cash reserves?

I feel like I am continuously expanding and never having enough money.

As long as the city seems sustainable, it ought to be fine. In my experience, though, if I've had demand for, say, residential, it's usually because my industrial or commercial needs more workers. So if I don't actually zone more residential soon, some of those buildings start getting abandoned.

do we know if the game takes advantage of hex core processors?

CSL is multithreaded and should automatically take advantage of more hardware threads, though performance improvements diminish with each additional core. It has a lot of threads for a lot of things.

Still a long shot better than SC2013's dual-threaded design. (One thread for simulation, another thread for audio.)

h1nch

Once my city hit about 51k or so I started losing citizens, regardless of available zones or demand.

In my case I think it's a combination of traffic issues and the high % of seniors in my city that all sort of died off at the same time.

Also, not sure if anyone has any insight into this, but I'm wondering if my decision to switch to building mostly high density residential zones has an effect on the population breakdown (like it attracts more working adults than families so less children)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd been mixing up high and low residential when I built a new block since the high unlocked. I never know how much of each I really need. Can too much high residential ruin things? Is there a way to tell how much high you need compared to the low?

And does it matter whether you do high or low commercial?

h1nch

I'd been mixing up high and low residential when I built a new block since the high unlocked. I never know how much of each I really need. Can too much high residential ruin things? Is there a way to tell how much high you need compared to the low?

And does it matter whether you do high or low commercial?

All I know is that high density zones will lead to extra traffic, so plan your roads accordingly (I sure didn't)

Definity

I've played an unhealthy amount of this game over the past few days. Being able to grab mods from the steam workshop and working with the amount of tiles you're given is awesome.

The traffic problems are really killing this game for me.

I keep spending a few hours on a city, thinking I'm getting it mostly right, and then invariably I outgrow the roads I have planned to where I have a catastrophic failure of services. I then spend the next hour or so trying to upgrade, delete, rebuild different sections of the city but it just seems to shuffle around where the problem is.

It's a shame as the rest of the experience is a joy to play, and the overall difficulty isn't hard to manager - EXCEPT for the roads which are entirely make or break.

The traffic problems are really killing this game for me.

I keep spending a few hours on a city, thinking I'm getting it mostly right, and then invariably I outgrow the roads I have planned to where I have a catastrophic failure of services. I then spend the next hour or so trying to upgrade, delete, rebuild different sections of the city but it just seems to shuffle around where the problem is.

It's a shame as the rest of the experience is a joy to play, and the overall difficulty isn't hard to manager - EXCEPT for the roads which are entirely make or break.

How were you creating the roads?

I try to keep each "district" mostly self-contained, but still interconnected. The main highway that is part of the initial region connection is also the only highway that runs through the city's heart - and I find it to be perfectly adequate as long as you also take advantage of the other highways as a side-connection and don't bunch everything into one place.

You can actually have a fairly well-functioning 3x3 city with just the combination of two-way roads, highways, and bus lines. Remember to build your first road segment somewhere out of the planned future highway and use one-way roads as a substitute for highways at the beginning.

You can certainly keep traffic manageable if you try to ensure that residential, commercial, and office/industry are sufficiently close that they won't have to go far in the first place.

How were you creating the roads?

Starting with a one way off the highway ramps, into a round about and then spinning off from that. I did try and 'district' the Residental, Commercial, and Industrial to their own areas - but towards the end of my last run I just started slamming it all together because the citizens didn't seem to really care that they were living next to a factory like they would in SimCity games.

The bus routes I never really got the hang of - I'd setup a few routes running through the outer ring of my city, and then going through the middle - but it hardly seemed to be used.

You can actually have a fairly well-functioning 3x3 city with just the combination of two-way roads, highways, and bus lines. Remember to build your first road segment somewhere out of the planned future highway and use one-way roads as a substitute for highways at the beginning.

I'm not following you here. Build the first road segment outside the future highway? Maybe I'm not planning correctly in the first place?

Starting with a one way off the highway ramps, into a round about and then spinning off from that. I did try and 'district' the Residental, Commercial, and Industrial to their own areas - but towards the end of my last run I just started slamming it all together because the citizens didn't seem to really care that they were living next to a factory like they would in SimCity games.

The bus routes I never really got the hang of - I'd setup a few routes running through the outer ring of my city, and then going through the middle - but it hardly seemed to be used.

I'm not following you here. Build the first road segment outside the future highway? Maybe I'm not planning correctly in the first place?

The game doesn't allow you to build any kind of road other than the basic two-way, two-lane road at the beginning of the game.

You also have an initial regional highway connection.

Try to plan ahead - don't draw your first two-way road directly into the highway. Try drawing a segment somewhere not too close to the future highway for now. I tend to try to keep about 1.5 blocks of distance (the road guide for the drawn road will guide you).

Once you have your first two-way road, you get the one-way road. Since you don't have highways at the beginning of the game, you can use the one-way roads as a substitute. They will upgrade to highways correctly so long as you space them apart a bit.

The best advice when beginning the game? Don't overthink it. Just draw barely enough roads to make a regional connection to the highway (so people will actually move in) and use two-way roads for your future "districts" (don't even have to be designated). Try to get to the first population milestone ASAP, so you might want to draw a lot of roads at the beginning of the game. And lots of residential.

I tend to make the area with a lot of industry directly opposite the area with the rest at the beginning of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom