• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What sucks is that cargo stations still use the same entrances and exits on left handed driving, causing major congestion :(

In that case, it's probably best for cargo ships to be used in industry-less cities.

Someone should make a cargo ship harbor and train station with multiple entrances and exits.

jtb

Banned
How do cargo ships and train stations work when it comes to importing, anyways? Is it the more you place, the more goods will be imported?

Do offices produce goods?

Chuck

Still without luck
I'm killing city 2, so much more smoothly than city 1 and i've only had to demolish a handful of abandoned houses, rather than a hundred handfuls.

Is there a mod that makes hearses pick up bodies by proximity rather than how long they've been sitting? I am watching my hearses drive past 10 corpses to get to one all the way across town, then driving back across town the other direction to get another.

dejay

Banned
The bus routes I never really got the hang of - I'd setup a few routes running through the outer ring of my city, and then going through the middle - but it hardly seemed to be used.

There are two keys to reducing traffic.

1 - mass transit.

Metros join areas together and move a lot of people. Buses distribute to and from metro stations and all around.

Since there are two directions to a subway tunnel, I like to put them into loops and have some loops overlap, but going in the opposite direction, so that the trains stay on their own loops and don't interfere with each other.

In the stellar diagram below, I've got subway represented by the thick coloured lines with stations in black. There are four lines, the red being the main loop around my high density residential core. The other lines go somewhere else - commercial or industrial. Within each of those other areas, I have bus routes (thin grey lines) picking up passengers from outside the metro stations and depositing them around various areas and also dropping them off at the metro stations.

I've also got a lot of walkways linking up areas leading to areas, especially to bus stops and subway routes.

So if a cim wants to get from the bottom left of my map the the upper right, he walks to a bus stop, buses to a metro station on the yellow line, switches trains on the red line, switches again on the green line and then catches a bus from outside a green station and finally walks a hundred metres to his desitination.

WyQyVSW.jpg

2 - give industrial lots of road infrastructure.

Keep industrial separated as much as possible. Trucks should go onto the highways and not through towns. If you have direct links between industrial to the other areas and you find that heavy trucks use them, zone areas around those links and put a heavy vehicle ban on them to force them to go to the highway. If you want to get goods to your commercial area quicker, you can put in rail freight terminals near industrial areas and near commercial areas, but give them plenty of room as the ones near industrial areas will create a lot of heavy vehicle traffic. The ones near commercial should generate lots of delivery van traffic, assuming you have demand for it in commercial.

Industrial areas are where you apply most of the traffic management tricks as it's the hardest to control. In my city, the original industrial area was rezoned to commercial and I now have two industrial hubs well away from the others. You can keep industrial areas smaller to avoid a lot of the problems - link little areas to the highways rather than have one massive industrial area.

Oops, just noticed I posted my bitching in the mods topic instead of here, so...

I hope more so that they improve the traffic "smarter" intersections, right (or left depending on the setting) turns not only being restricted to the far right lane and even possibly allowing right turns on red would help for most issues, it kinda sorta reminds me of how SimCity2013 traffic was at launch, especially with emergency vehicles getting stuck in traffic even when there's other lanes wide open.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Anyone else missing their Zen Gardens? Because I just loaded my city and suddenly buildings started complaining about land values and my gardens are missing :(.

I guess it has something to do with them giving them away like candy.

Okay, you know what? My zen parks are gone too, every one of them I placed in my city are gone, and it's not in my park tab anymore either. WTF? :(

dejay

Banned
Oops, just noticed I posted my bitching in the mods topic instead of here, so...

I hope more so that they improve the traffic "smarter" intersections, right (or left depending on the setting) turns not only being restricted to the far right lane and even possibly allowing right turns on red would help for most issues, it kinda sorta reminds me of how SimCity2013 traffic was at launch, especially with emergency vehicles getting stuck in traffic even when there's other lanes wide open.

Yes. You can make workarounds, but it breaks the immersion somewhat, although the traffic puzzles can be fun.

What I'd like to see is:

1 - The ability to change all the lane arrows at every intersection. Zoom in, LMB hold on an an arrow so it turns orange and RMB click or scroll wheel or mouse swipe to choose direction. I don't see how that would affect the current route determination too much.

2 - The ability to have a terminating road at a t-junction to right turn only, so that an intersection isn't extended to the far lane of the cross-road. This could be achieved in combination with #1

3 - A road direction view button, that somehow shows the direction of every street without having to zoom in too closely.

4 - Different traffic laws. Turn right on red is allowed in some parts of the world, but not others. 4 way stop signs, give-way/yield signs, etc could all be included.

5 - Proper, in-built roundabouts with proper yielding and small ones for small roads.

That will do for starters!

AHHHHHH!

Traffic is effing me up. I just can't.

I also am getting incredibly frustrated with my incinerators not sending out all the trucks!! Why!?

I dont understand, but they send like 4 of them, struggle to get to 5. The info bar quickly flashes "5" for example, then goes right back to 4. It's like the truck is trying to spawn but gets deleted.

I tried moving it across the road, making a special road, nothing.

Someone help? :(

eJZOh1t.jpg

Here's the latest update on my humble city. Just hit 20k... Barely bringing any money in and pretty much stalled on growth. Gotta figure out how to change both of those things.

The tunnel update is pretty awesome.

8oUgLu9.jpg

Is this the official update screen?
Hope we cant also do a floor tunnel or at least they give us terraforming tools that work without problems (theres going to be a mod for that, but is still wip).
Also hoping that it works for every tupe of roads.
Its the last thing I need to create the reacreation of my home city.

Crispy75

In the stellar diagram below, I've got subway represented by the thick coloured lines with stations in black. There are four lines, the red being the main loop around my high density residential core. The other lines go somewhere else - commercial or industrial. Within each of those other areas, I have bus routes (thin grey lines) picking up passengers from outside the metro stations and depositing them around various areas and also dropping them off at the metro stations.

Nice map :) It made me want to hack one out in paint. I really should have fired up a proper graphics package :D

UBOkSZk.jpg

DGXesye.png

The railways go from urban center to urban center, where metros distribute the cims. There's loads of bus routes running short collector loops from each metro station. Everything comes together in the Grand Central transit interchange downtown.

3NCBnsE.jpg

It's quite the thing.

pHuUsuv.jpg

How far are cims prepared to walk for metros, trainlines and buses? Unlike Cities In Motion, there doesn't seem to be any visual representation.

dejay

Banned
Nice map :) It made me want to hack one out in paint. I really should have fired up a proper graphics package :D

UBOkSZk.jpg

DGXesye.png

The railways go from urban center to urban center, where metros distribute the cims. There's loads of bus routes running short collector loops from each metro station. Everything comes together in the Grand Central transit interchange downtown.

3NCBnsE.jpg

It's quite the thing.

pHuUsuv.jpg

Nice - love the main interchange. I'm still on my first city and I did say to myself that I'd put in something like that, but I never quite got there.

I also like the ant colony you have going on. I have two sets of two metro stations that are on separate lines and only joined together by pedestrian pathways - the amount of people using those paths between stations is nuts. The metro holes definitely resemble ant colonies to me.

I think the metro stations in the game need a rework so that the platform alignment isn't locked to the road and also we need to be able to add multiple platforms/lines per station.

How far are cims prepared to walk for metros, trainlines and buses? Unlike Cities In Motion, there doesn't seem to be any visual representation.

They will walk a LONG way, especially given footpaths. They actually prefer buses though, given this:

http://imgur.com/a/6Cx9z

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyli...ing_my_cims_preference_to_take_a_bus_instead/

IlludiumQ36

I wish there were vertices that could be drag'n'dropped on free-form roads to smooth out curve to curve transitions, Mine look like a 6-year old drew them :(

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wish there were vertices that could be drag'n'dropped on free-form roads to smooth out curve to curve transitions, Mine look like a 6-year old drew them :(

When you are using the curve tool, like shown. It will snap (prefer, if you will) to a particular angle. If you use this angle then place your curve, it should flow at a natural angle, without any sharpness too it.

So, to summarize in steps:

1.) Select the curve tool
2.) Click and drag out from the road you want to extend
3.) Continue dragging out until you find the snap point
4.) Release mouse button once found. The longer the road during this phase, the longer the curve.
5.) Now select where you want to road to go.
6.) Click to finish.

Megasoum

Banned
Are the stand alone trees (used with the brush mod for example) counting as "mini park"?

Cause they should... Like it can be a super small amount which requires you to use a lot of the brush to get the same result as a pre-built park but still.. I'm filling a lot of my holes in my city with brushed on trees so would be nice for them to be usefull.

spiritfox

You know you can just mod the pollution colors right?

Are the stand alone trees (used with the brush mod for example) counting as "mini park"?

Cause they should... Like it can be a super small amount which requires you to use a lot of the brush to get the same result as a pre-built park but still.. I'm filling a lot of my holes in my city with brushed on trees so would be nice for them to be usefull.

Create some 1x1 parks with only a tree. Kinda cheating but it works.

Drawing roads in this makes me really miss my tools in AutoCAD. Being able to pick up and rotate roads would be a godsend, and that's just to start.

Tiktaalik

I just started, I have a bunch of residential houses, power, water and 0 population?

Looking around I found a forum post on the city skylines forum about connecting up the main roads properly? What could I have done wrong?

I just started, I have a bunch of residential houses, power, water and 0 population?

Looking around I found a forum post on the city skylines forum about connecting up the main roads properly? What could I have done wrong?

Are you connected to both the inbound and outbound offramps? with a one way road going the correct direction? If you drag a one-way road from somewhere TO the inbound offramp connection, no one will be able to enter.

Tiktaalik

Alright figured that out sort of... I guess you have to connect the in and out parts of the initial highway somehow.

The road layout tools are incredibly frustrating. They've made it incredibly hard to make a perfectly aligning grid whereas this was trivial in Sim2000.

Jumplion

UBOkSZk.jpg

DGXesye.png

3NCBnsE.jpg

It's quite the thing.

pHuUsuv.jpg

God damn that's gorgeous. I need to work on public transit myself, I tend to like to maximize space efficiency in one block before going off to other tracts of land.

Just picked up the game a few days ago, it's given me a new appreciation for city planning. I'm still trying to learn the ropes of basic traffic planning and whatnot (having cities on the other side of the premade highways is scary).

I tend to either start off fine but taper off with traffic issues and rushed road creating, or I screw up immediately by building a bit too big and not leaving enough room in the budget to link up the utilities to the recently doomed residents of "Spunker HIll".

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Alright figured that out sort of... I guess you have to connect the in and out parts of the initial highway somehow.

The road layout tools are incredibly frustrating. They've made it incredibly hard to make a perfectly aligning grid whereas this was trivial in Sim2000.

It's not that difficult. Especially since you can change the direction one way roads.
Before, it was quite difficult, especially to run highways.

Still more difficult then it needs to be to run parallel highways with curves.

Sigh, I don't know what happened, but no mods or assets are working for me now. I see them in "Steam Workshop" tab, but they don't show up in the "Mods" or "Assets" tab for me to enable and use.

I logged out and relogged into my Paradox account - no luck.

I've unsubscribed and resubscribed - no luck.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the whole game - no luck.

What gives?

Tiktaalik

It's not that difficult. Especially since you can change the direction one way roads.
Before, it was quite difficult, especially to run highways.

Still more difficult then it needs to be to run parallel highways with curves.

I did eventually get the hang of it, but it feels a bit awkward.

spiritfox

Sigh, I don't know what happened, but no mods or assets are working for me now. I see them in "Steam Workshop" tab, but they don't show up in the "Mods" or "Assets" tab for me to enable and use.

I logged out and relogged into my Paradox account - no luck.

I've unsubscribed and resubscribed - no luck.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the whole game - no luck.

What gives?

You are online, right? Mods currently only work online.

The Argus

Love the game, but kinda bummed by the short sky scrappers. I'm sure it's a technical thing, but with a name like Skylines I figured we'd get some massive towers.

Have they commented on the "achievement enabler" mod? Because if they let it stay it would be really cool from them.

I don't see why they would bark at that mod, considering how 1) there's no online leaderboard or online component, so people cheating on achievements would affect nobody, and 2) you can easily cheat by editing your assets' stats with the game's own asset editor, which isn't a mod and wouldn't disable achievements in the vanilla game.

Tiktaalik

The game doesn't allow you to build any kind of road other than the basic two-way, two-lane road at the beginning of the game.

You also have an initial regional highway connection.

Try to plan ahead - don't draw your first two-way road directly into the highway. Try drawing a segment somewhere not too close to the future highway for now. I tend to try to keep about 1.5 blocks of distance (the road guide for the drawn road will guide you).

Once you have your first two-way road, you get the one-way road. Since you don't have highways at the beginning of the game, you can use the one-way roads as a substitute. They will upgrade to highways correctly so long as you space them apart a bit.

The best advice when beginning the game? Don't overthink it. Just draw barely enough roads to make a regional connection to the highway (so people will actually move in) and use two-way roads for your future "districts" (don't even have to be designated). Try to get to the first population milestone ASAP, so you might want to draw a lot of roads at the beginning of the game. And lots of residential.

I tend to make the area with a lot of industry directly opposite the area with the rest at the beginning of the game.

The highway connection thing weirded me out at the beginning of the game and at first I had no idea what I was supposed to do with it and I didn't even connect it right and I had zero population for a while.

How do people have them set up after the early game? Any good photos of how people are handling it?

Tiktaalik

The fact that a lot of people are having issues managing traffic is pretty interesting as this mimics the real world where very many cities have traffic problems. I'm interested to see if I eventually run into traffic trouble, as I have an amateur interest in city planning and I would like to think that I have a good understanding of how cities should be built in order to minimize traffic woes (I'll probably have the same problems as everyone else). Some of the city designs I'm seeing in this thread would exacerbate traffic problems.

This being said this game currently lacks many city features necessary (ie. bike lanes, tolls) to fix traffic problems, so we may be a few patches and mods away from a really complete solution.

The fact that a lot of people are having issues managing traffic is pretty interesting as this mimics the real world where very many cities have traffic problems. I'm interested to see if I eventually run into traffic trouble, as I have an amateur interest in city planning and I would like to think that I have a good understanding of how cities should be built in order to minimize traffic woes (I'll probably have the same problems as everyone else). Some of the city designs I'm seeing in this thread would exacerbate traffic problems.

This being said this game currently lacks many city features necessary (ie. bike lanes, tolls) to fix traffic problems, so we may be a few patches and mods away from a really complete solution.

The fun thing about CSL is that the traffic is mostly working, aside from emergency vehicles bunching up and everyone insisting on a single lane for turns. Hopefully it gets fixed up. (Because of the way CSL handles the simulation - partially statistical, traffic problems aren't as critical as in SC2013.)

SimCity 2013 had traffic issues even worse at launch, though at this point it's entirely possible to have a city with 1M residents without severe gridlock in both SC2013 and CSL.

Remember: heavy traffic is still OK in both games as long as it's still flowing! Buses are also very important - they go a long way in reducing the amount of cars. Try to make sure that there is some overlap between bus lines in CSL. One bus depot is good enough for an entire 3x3 city. You should only really need buses and you can actually get away with just them.

Me?

I want maglev stations in CSL.

Kabouter

The fun thing about CSL is that the traffic is mostly working, aside from emergency vehicles bunching up and everyone insisting on a single lane for turns. Hopefully it gets fixed up. (Because of the way CSL handles the simulation - partially statistical, traffic problems aren't as critical as in SC2013.)

SimCity 2013 had traffic issues even worse at launch, though at this point it's entirely possible to have a city with 1M residents without severe gridlock in both SC2013 and CSL.

Remember: heavy traffic is still OK in both games as long as it's still flowing! Buses are also very important - they go a long way in reducing the amount of cars. Try to make sure that there is some overlap between bus lines in CSL. One bus depot is good enough for an entire 3x3 city. You should only really need buses and you can actually get away with just them.

Me?

I want maglev stations in CSL.

It's impossible to have a city with 1M residents with or without severe gridlock in SC2013.

If they can fix Emergency Services' behaviour I'll be very happy. At the moment they behave like normal traffic and follow the same rules - stop at lights, no u-turns, don't go down 1-Way Streets, etc. Also, normal traffic doesn't get out of the way of Emergency Services!

Hip Hop

Anyway to make measuring your roads/cities perfectly a bit more easier? mods?

I always go a bit off when I'm expanding..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom