• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's impossible to have a city with 1M residents with or without severe gridlock in SC2013.

Actually, it's possible.

On a whim, I decided to try out the challenge on the EA SimCity forums (get the highest pop on Tamarin Island).

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9846105.page

I was able to shove over a million poors in that space. Not bad I guess. The top guy on the forum hit 1.4 mil, though. Impressive. I probably could have hit that too, with a different layout and more time.

edit: squeezed out another 100 thousandish

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/60/9846105.page#31377511

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This dude hit 1.014 million:

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2znnr2/the_journey_to_over_1_million_lets_discuss/

q0WJqEe.jpg

7YUwpIj.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Daaamn.

And it looks like a Manhattan map.

Gr8one

Blizzard

Banned
Damn that's impressive. After reading his post I noticed he ran into the same RCI demand slump and slow growth I've been experiencing in my city in the late 200,000's population. Also he also confirms what I noticed, that lowering taxes don't affect growth with larger cities. Wonder if it's a bug.
Aside from the demand thing, they also mentioned mods being used because otherwise it would take 100 hours or whatnot to very slowly grow the population. I wonder if death waves would make it actually impossible.

I feel like the crematorium / body pickup thing looks a bit silly, and is one of the only unappealing things about the game to me. I realize it may be for balance to have what's essentially another type of garbage. For all I know there may be mods that already address it. That link mentioned having a crematorium every couple of corners or so.

They also mentioned the CPU running hot of course, and I imagine the lack of traffic problems is because of the known 65k active actor limit.

Pinktaco

Going to ask again:
Do unique building have a proper function? Are they just tourist attractions?

Also are there any gambling buildings in the game? I've been playing and searching, but couldnt find anything.

Gr8one

Aside from the demand thing, they also mentioned mods being used because otherwise it would take 100 hours or whatnot to very slowly grow the population. I wonder if death waves would make it actually impossible.

I feel like the crematorium / body pickup thing looks a bit silly, and is one of the only unappealing things about the game to me. I realize it may be for balance to have what's essentially another type of garbage. For all I know there may be mods that already address it. That link mentioned having a crematorium every couple of corners or so.

They also mentioned the CPU running hot of course, and I imagine the lack of traffic problems is because of the known 65k active actor limit.

I do have a lot of crematoriums throughout my city at nearly the same ratio. I notice there are large waves of deaths in my districts and because the hearse pathing goes in the order of death (from oldest to newest) and not the close proximity, you need to have extra crematoriums to cover a lot of these deaths before they become a problem and cause abandonment and illness.

I've also noticed that the AI sometimes does derpy things like i'll have a crematorium right next to 2 buildings with dead bodies and the crematorium will not sending out car to pick them up. When I inspect the facility I notice that there is only 1 car out and its at the other end of the district.

It's a little annoying, only mod I found so far that addresses the death waves is Slow Citizen Aging mod. I haven't used it but it only postpones the death waves, and I think it may cause other problems with education and slowing down the game.

Going to ask again:

Also are there any gambling buildings in the game? I've been playing and searching, but couldnt find anything.

Right now only the monuments have functions like the hadron colider providing education. Unique buildings do provide jobs, and I noticed some on the workshop have housing. I think CO will definitely add more functions in later updates if the modding community doesn't do it first.

dejay

Banned
Going to ask again:

Unique buildings are also prerequisites for things like monuments (maybe just monuments, I'm not 100%)

I don't think there is any specific gambling places. I feel there should be brothels too.

Gr8one

I posted this in the mod thread but I thought posting it here would be helpful too.

If anyone was like me and getting tired of the lack of variety in the buildings in their cities and subscribing to a buttload of zoneable assets but not seeing many of the assets appearing, there is a limit to the amount of zoneable assets for each building type and size.

It was addressed by a CO dev in a bug thread on the paradox forum and they said they will fix it in a later patch.

Figured i'd give everyone a heads up because I was wondering why some assets I subscribed to would appear but others would not.

I was referring to fudged population. As impressive as getting that big a city on a tiny plot like that, that is not a million man city.

Perception is a very important thing.

I have always thought that the fudged population in SC2013 as a quite inflated, but perceptually sensible. The unfudged population in CSL makes large cities look tiny, though it's also extremely accurate, too. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a compromise?

Kabouter

Perception is a very important thing.

I have always thought that the fudged population in SC2013 as a quite inflated, but perceptually sensible. The unfudged population in CSL makes large cities look tiny, though it's also extremely accurate, too. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a compromise?

Not really, no. I'd much rather just have an accurate figure without any sort of fudging.

Jintor

whynotboth.gif

/edit man I wish there was a way to easily see the footprint of a bus stop to see how many citizens will bother walking to it. Judging by happiness rating is kinda rough.

Mr Swine

Banned
Is the transport tool for seeing how many that are using buses is borked? I see way more people taking buses than there are reporting per week

cyress8

Banned
Is the transport tool for seeing how many that are using buses is borked? I see way more people taking buses than there are reporting per week
I think it is bugged also. I have buses with 30/30 capacity and bus stops packed with people, yet it showed only about ~230 in the info panel.

Jintor

So, uh, does industry need education to upgrade as well? :T

/edit okay i've run into a big problem i'm pretty sure is a bug... cars are just pausing in the middle of the fucking road. I can't figure out why. It's just this patch of road I think, too, but it's RIGHT NEXT to possibly my most major intersection and it's completely fucking over everything because no traffic light shifts work at all. I'm gonna try and get a gif.

/edit i sat and watched the street for like 3 minutes and it resolved itself. *shrug*

/edit nope it's back! Getting a gif...

arhra

/edit okay i've run into a big problem i'm pretty sure is a bug... cars are just pausing in the middle of the fucking road. I can't figure out why. It's just this patch of road I think, too, but it's RIGHT NEXT to possibly my most major intersection and it's completely fucking over everything because no traffic light shifts work at all. I'm gonna try and get a gif.

/edit i sat and watched the street for like 3 minutes and it resolved itself. *shrug*

/edit nope it's back! Getting a gif...

Do you have a metro station nearby, by any chance?

Jintor

Hmmm... I do. Damnit, hope they fix that. Was wondering why the cars were sometimes flowing through perfectly and others times wigging out.

P9cACWr.gif

/edit traffic is backed up six blocks :<

Hope someone does avenues of four lanes in one direction instead of six. Theres more variety in the real world and six lanes is excessive in the majority of the cases.

Jintor

I don't even use one-way roads and keep thinking "what's the point of them if two-way roads handle normal traffic normally?"

because at some point two way roads don't handle normal traffic normally

you know that sign 'don't queue across intersection'?

cims don't know that sign

jwhit28

The metro blocking car traffic bug happened to me yesterday. I couldn't figure out why cars were stopping in the middle of a highway roundabout.

jiiikoo

Banned
I just started playing this on my mac and noticed that most assets that I downloaded from the workshop aren't showing up in game. The parks and overpasses and such work fine, but all the University or Hospital assets I subscribed to, aren't showing in the menus. Anyone have any idea whats wrong?

I checked the Steam workshop folder in the /Library/Application Support/ and the assets have downloaded, but nothing is showing up in game :(

EDIT: I'm online both in Paradox and Steam

vityaz

I hope there'll be a mod soon that lets you "lock" a building from changing into something else. In SimCity 4 we could click on a building with the query tool, and check "Make Historical" and it would not grow into something else.

Obviously it would still be able to become abandoned etc.

Gr8one

I just started playing this on my mac and noticed that most assets that I downloaded from the workshop aren't showing up in game. The parks and overpasses and such work fine, but all the University or Hospital assets I subscribed to, aren't showing in the menus. Anyone have any idea whats wrong?

I checked the Steam workshop folder in the /Library/Application Support/ and the assets have downloaded, but nothing is showing up in game :(

EDIT: I'm online both in Paradox and Steam

Looks like its a mac specific bug and Colossal Order knows and is working on it. I'm on windows so I don't have the error but I been having other asset issues and found a thread on the paradox forum with a bunch of people with the same issues.

Laieon

I think I just 2 hours worth of work, looks like the "save every 10 minutes" mod wasn't working. :(

Edit: Nvm, looks like it did save. Weird, the time on the save is 11:10, which was 2 hours ago. I'm not complaining.

elelunicy

I was referring to fudged population. As impressive as getting that big a city on a tiny plot like that, that is not a million man city.

Isn't population also kinda fudged in Cities: Skylines? 65k is the max number of active agents being simulated at one time.

cyress8

Banned
Anyone having problems with the text resize mod? For some odd reason it just stopped working. I disabled and enabled it. Uninstalled it and reinstalled. It just won't work.

Also having the black screen of death with steam streaming when the rez is at 1920x1080, but works fine at 1 step down on the rez.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Finally crossed 100K people in my first city this morning!

I think today I'm gonna hunt a few achievements and unlock the remaining buildings and monuments, and then I'm going to mess around with a different map and a brand new city. Once you get a few monuments unlocked it really makes stuff like energy and education management a moot point, that surprised me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
First time trying Skylines and I immediately blew my budget lol

I guess I should follow SC4's style in that I should avoid giving water until after I unlock the school/healthcare?

I really wish there was either an upgrade option for elementary and high schools or a higher level for each. The module upgrades were one of the things I really liked about the last SimCity.

Mr Swine

Banned

I guess I should follow SC4's style in that I should avoid giving water until after I unlock the school/healthcare?

You need to give the buildings water, otherwise they will get closed down.

Also how does placing Hydro Power Plant work? I get as most 64 MW :/

OK, at the beginning of the game, get a road segment down first. Ideally you'll want enough roads for a small neighbourhood from the beginning, and be sure that you have some money leftover for a coal power plant or enough wind power plants to make the difference in initial costs. You also really need to plop a water and sewage immediately.

Also, check the water direction. Don't plop your water pumps downstream from sewage drains. Unlike SC4 which will just shut down your water pump if it's too polluted, SC2013 and CSL will let the water pumps pump up polluted water. Instant sickness! (If you manage to pull this off at the beginning of the game, restart your city.)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You should prioritize basic utilities over sprawl at the start. Make sure you coverage can keep pace with your expansion.

1) Setup initial town close to a body of water
2) Connect it to the highway
3) Intake and outtake pumps
4) One Coal Power Plant or two Wind Mills, with power lines to connect (usually at this point I'm at $20,000)
5) You'll have negative income to start but it'll slowly stabilize as people move in
6) Expand as you gain a surplus

Sober

Isn't population also kinda fudged in Cities: Skylines? 65k is the max number of active agents being simulated at one time.
Sure, compromises have to be made with agent simulation. But at least they don't all get up and find a random job every day and find a random home to stay in after work as well.

Megasoum

Banned
I wish you could overwrite low density zones with high density zones of the same type.

For exemple right now I'm working on replacing my low density residential into high density and I have to dezone everything first.

Small thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom