• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sort of face a problem with my city. Or maybe the game is like this. I am near 8000 of population and then everythings is going to crawl. I just got offices, metro and high density zones. My RCI indicator is always at the bottom, my industry and commerce always complain they don't have enough educated workers while I DO have primary schools, highschools and university. So basically right now I am constantly explosing abandoned buildings and that's quite boring.

What's up with that? Something I am missing?

Spend time increasing services, working on traffic issues, and install the auto-demolish mod. Also, if you're making money, just spend some time banking for future improvements.

I sort of face a problem with my city. Or maybe the game is like this. I am near 8000 of population and then everythings is going to crawl. I just got offices, metro and high density zones. My RCI indicator is always at the bottom, my industry and commerce always complain they don't have enough educated workers while I DO have primary schools, highschools and university. So basically right now I am constantly explosing abandoned buildings and that's quite boring.

What's up with that? Something I am missing?

Why are they being abandoned? Hover the pointer over the icon when you click on the building.

Ranger X

Why are they being abandoned? Hover the pointer over the icon when you click on the building.

Traffic is minimal. Services are covering the city entirely. There is no apparent problem.
When you look at their reasons, for industry they mostly say "not enough workers" and for commerce they say "not enough educated workers". I mean, my school aren't even full, they cover the whole town up to university level. But the people don't feel like getting educated or something. Its wierd. I have a great deal of adult and old people though. Maybe I am at the end of some generation of peeps or something.

Still its wierd, if the town doesn't have the worker needed, why do the business keep building themselves in there? I am about to add that mod that auto destruct the abandoned buildings, seriously lol.

That looks really nice. Shame you can't have very large fields with cattle grazing in them. Get on that Colossal Order, I want a proper implementation of farming :p

Beautiful Work.

Thanks, yeah improved farm zoning would be nice. Restricting it to 4x4 alongside roads just doesn't look right when you want big sweeping fields so making them manually is a chore. I'd love a brush that puts down trees one at a time so you can draw easy lines of trees via click and drag instead of getting carpal tunnel clicking like crazy. The tree brush is very handy for creating forests/filling in empty spaces but not so good for more precise aesthetic work. A brush that lets you texture the ground would be nice too. This map seems to have done a lot of the hard work already and might be a good starting point, I think I'll use it for my next city.

Traffic is minimal. Services are covering the city entirely. There is no apparent problem.
When you look at their reasons, for industry they mostly say "not enough workers" and for commerce they say "not enough educated workers". I mean, my school aren't even full, they cover the whole town up to university level. But the people don't feel like getting educated or something. Its wierd. I have a great deal of adult and old people though. Maybe I am at the end of some generation of peeps or something.

Still its wierd, if the town doesn't have the worker needed, why do the business keep building themselves in there? I am about to add that mod that auto destruct the abandoned buildings, seriously lol.

Have you got enough parks/special buildings to increase happiness and allow buildings to level up? Also make sure you have a nice bus/path/metro network so people can get to work/school quickly and easily. Perhaps you're also putting down too much high density commercial which requires more educated workers. If you've put down a lot of high density residential and commercial you might be upgrading too fast, you need a good balance of low/high density and they should match for the most part (low density commercial servicing low density residential etc). Keep in my mind low density residential houses families and promotes population growth and high density is mostly young educated people.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So this one's weird. My game uninstalled itself. I spent a couple days away from it and went to launch it and it's no longer installed. All my other games are fine, just Cities is uninstalled.

spiritfox

42C877FDEA093045649FA8E92262BE3907BA5420

This is a pretty cool skin.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=424995783

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Apparently DX11 stopped working for me for Cities. Which is weird because it was working fine before. Had to switch to DX9.

Surprisingly enough it also removed the "Cities has stopped working" error when closing the game.

Gr8one

I have been playing GTA 5 but I kept thinking about my latest city and how I can improve traffic in certain parts lol. So now I find myself booting up CS. This game is addicitive, I think i'm going to play with traffic managment mods to introduce some turning and merging lanes to improve traffic flow because using traffic circles everywhere is great until one of them gets backed up, then they all get backed up in the network.

I found a really nice highway to arterial road intersection in the workshop. It doesn't take a lot of space and moves traffic through very efficiently. Plus its sunken so with the terraforming mod, you can build a nice sunken freeway network with overpasses over everything.

Ranger X

How do you guys twist and turn highway ramps that easily? The game always gives me red, slope too step, etc. I feel extremely restricted, maybe there's an option somewhere I did not properly set??

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I'm about 10 feet away from a 32" 720p TV. Text is absolutely unreadable. But you probably won't have to read anything more than once (if at all) and all the icons are pretty recognizable.

Haven't seen any option to adjust the UI size.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
How do you guys twist and turn highway ramps that easily? The game always gives me red, slope too step, etc. I feel extremely restricted, maybe there's an option somewhere I did not properly set??

I found the big "aha" moment was keeping an eye on where the supports go. The game typically won't move those after they've been placed, which limits where you can have connections since it also won't put them too close together.

Sometimes placing an elevated straight piece on its own across the road, then connecting to that, is easier than trying to do it all in one shot.

I found the big "aha" moment was keeping an eye on where the supports go. The game typically won't move those after they've been placed, which limits where you can have connections since it also won't put them too close together.

Sometimes placing an elevated straight piece on its own across the road, then connecting to that, is easier than trying to do it all in one shot.

I'd also recommend turning off the snap to grid when doing more abstract things, as there are a lot of shapes the game will make happily that you can't do with snap to grid turned on.

dejay

Banned
Did you guys see this?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412101021

no left/right turn on intersections mod.

Sadly not compatible atm with Traffic++ but... FINALLY.

I've been using this for a while and I love it to micromanage a handful of intersections. However, there's a mod in development called Traffic Manager which does that, but also adds placement of yield signs to control right-of-way, traffic lights you can set the manual timing of and a few other things. I'm hoping it's out this week.

Decided I wanted to get the Medical Center for my city and saw it was the one that required the Court House and the dreaded 50% crime rate it ended up being surprisingly easy to achieve after turning off police and a lot of parks, jacking taxes up on commercial and industry and turning off my education. Got the Court House and Oppression Office pretty quickly as my city was tanked harder than it ever has before. Reverting the things I did but the recovery has been very slow and caused a number of additional headaches but at least they were done and I'm just putting down the two harbors and unlocking the Sea-and-Sky Scraper away from it... Then I remember that I'm using the Two Rivers map and it doesn't have connect routes for it.

At least I didn't so something stupid like over write my main save for once and YAY they stay unlocked.

MrGlass

I've been using this for a while and I love it to micromanage a handful of intersections. However, there's a mod in development called Traffic Manager which does that, but also adds placement of yield signs to control right-of-way, traffic lights you can set the manual timing of and a few other things. I'm hoping it's out this week.

That looks like an amazing mod. Can't wait for the release.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Just found this crazy looking neighborhood while driving around.

Hmm, doing a bit of cloudgazing here and there's a weird surreal horror version of Strong Bad:
lWYkmKF.png

Hey Strong Bad, C'Thulhu fhtagn *laptop grows tentacles*
With strange aeons even death may type with boxing gloves on
etc

Gr8one

my god, say what you want about grids being boring but a suburb like that would be nightmare to navigate without a map or gps. You know all the streets start with the same letter, like Applewood Way, and Argyle Cres. I am having pizza delivery flashbacks! Who would create such a monster?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is it possible to create a pollution-less city right from the start?

Also I replaced the connecting highways into six lane one-ways and it still has traffic. It's so annoying. And my grid industry zone are already filled with one ways yet still has traffic!

xkramz

Is it possible to create a pollution-less city right from the start?

Also I replaced the connecting highways into six lane one-ways and it still has traffic. It's so annoying. And my grid industry zone are already filled with one ways yet still has traffic!
Maybe u could find something on steam workshop to replace landfill and for industries..I believe you have to start off with pollution in they department at least until you unlock forestry district

Linius

Here's my first proper attempt at a rural/farming area

Try changing the roundabout road type to freeway. It'll remove any traffic lights and traffic will move much faster. And make sure the one way forms a full circle in one direction. Also try having the entrance/exit's to roundabouts flow smoothly so traffic doesn't have to stop to do a sharp right angle turn.

Damn, this is beautiful man.

Looks like the metro icons I used to have on my Android phone. Sweet.

Crispy75

Are there any advantages of low-density over high-density?

Low density generates less traffic, residential but especially commercial. Low density residential tends to house more families and seniors, whereas high density residential tends to house more young people (but there is some overlap). You can get by with only HD commercial, but you need a balance of HD and LD resi.

Crispy75

Do you recommend mixing HD and LD within the same neighborhood, or do you have specific HD and LD neighborhoods?

AFAICT, it's just a matter of taste. I put my HD resi downtown with Offices and HD comm. Although I try not to put it immediately next to HD comm. which generates lots of noise pollution.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tunnels are at least a month away:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/april-progress-update.851539/

Greetings Chirpies!

Firstly, we would like to give you all our most heartfelt thanks for the support and feedback we have received since releasing Cities: Skylines roughly a month ago.

Great passion brings a lot of interesting questions, the main one being "how do we react to this?"

Today I am going to give you a bit of clarity of what to expect from our team the coming time. We appreciate your understanding and trust in us to deliver the best of experiences for our global community.

The next planned update for Cities: Skylines will be the most substantial to date, adding new features, gameplay tweaks, improvements and more fun stuff! Many of you know it as the "tunnels and wall-to-wall buildings update" that will eventually be added to the game for free.

As the update is a lot bigger than what we've previously released it's also going to be in development and QA for a longer time - meaning there's going to be at least a month before it's ready to be launched.

We take community feedback into consideration while we continue to work on this update. The team appreciates all the suggestions we have received so far so keep it coming!

Our two post-release patches have solved the vast majority of critical technical issues experienced by players. Most remaining issues either require a substantial amount of time to track and solve, are only appearing for a small number of users - or most commonly are caused by a person's mod usage.

Got a technical issue with the game? Please do not hesitate consulting our forums for workarounds or fixes - alternatively contacting our support department (a solution we recommend doing after you have checked the forums). Please see the instructions to reporting an issue to help us help you.
[​IMG]

Meanwhile - please keep the feedback, suggestions, thoughts, mods, ideas and passion flowing.

And stay awesome.

Regards,
The Cities: Skylines Team

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
I was hoping the tunnel update would come sooner since it could really help with sorting out the traffic mess that is Neo Lordran, but I understand it's quite an undertaking. I can wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom