• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are all your power sources hooked up to the same network, or do you have separate power grids?

This is often the issue. Without my knowledge I had one neighborhood only powered by incinerators and it was regularly without enough power. The general overview showed my that everything is fine - since the other neighborhood had its nuclear plant...

SumGamer

Are all your power sources hooked up to the same network, or do you have separate power grids?

Interesting, I separated two main power source. Each powering half of the big city and it was working fine before when the consumption was even higher. What's the best way to route power cable across the main highway?

Jintor

Interesting, I separated two main power source. Each powering half of the big city and it was working fine before when the consumption was even higher. What's the best way to route power cable across the main highway?

just stick it across. power lines are basically temporary until your city swallows them anyway

Ranger X

Is there a nice mod that let me decides how many buses I put on a line? That would be so great.

Its wierd that in the base game they don't even let your decide such a thing. I have a very popular line where the game decides there's 2 buses when I would need like 4-5. And some quiet lines have like 3 buses...

Gr8one

Is there a nice mod that let me decides how many buses I put on a line? That would be so great.

Its wierd that in the base game they don't even let your decide such a thing. I have a very popular line where the game decides there's 2 buses when I would need like 4-5. And some quiet lines have like 3 buses...

There was a transit capacity mod, where you could increase the capacity of buses and trains n such. but he stopped supporting it because of lack of time, and actually wanting to play the game :( Maybe he will release the source code and someone will pick it up.

I found it, he said he might release an earlier version, i think this one is pretty buggy.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414285246&searchtext=

edit:
If you feel like mucking about with your transit to try and fix things, I highly recommend transport line manager if you aren't already running it:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408875519&searchtext=transport+line

u gotta make sure you've hooked up all your power source, otherwise some parts won't get enough power

Waikis

There was a transit capacity mod, where you could increase the capacity of buses and trains n such. but he stopped supporting it because of lack of time, and actually wanting to play the game :( Maybe he will release the source code and someone will pick it up.

I found it, he said he might release an earlier version, i think this one is pretty buggy.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414285246&searchtext=

edit:
If you feel like mucking about with your transit to try and fix things, I highly recommend transport line manager if you aren't already running it:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408875519&searchtext=transport+line

Why not just use this mod for pub transport capacity?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414326578

fritolay

I have played this game more than any other PC game this past year. I am still on my first city.

This past week I experience a performance issue where the time and traffic would start, stop, start, stop. I thought my city grew too big and FPS just too low. Then I realize it was patch or mod. I deactivated all mods and it was fine again, so not sure which one it was.

I haven't installed this one yet, but going from 9 tiles to 25 was awesome. Now there is 81 tile mod...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422554572

Melon Husk

Don't budget adjustments change this? Just run your quiet lines at overcapacity. Sure, I'd love a mod with line specific control like that too.

Gr8one

Not played this in about 3 weeks now. I want to but I always start out the same, any guides on making a good start to the city?

Not exacty a begineers guide but this is a traffic guide, by a civil engineer, that was posted earlier in the thread. Its bloody amazing and might give you some ideas on city planning.

http://imgur.com/a/z1rM1

I also really enjoy Strictoasters design tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYTjyn6fVp5gT7EOsA3celBlCQZ4c1qe4

Why not just use this mod for pub transport capacity?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414326578

Totally missed that mod, I can see why the other mod was abandoned. That's good news because my Cims just pack my bus stops right now.

I have played this game more than any other PC game this past year. I am still on my first city.

This past week I experience a performance issue where the time and traffic would start, stop, start, stop. I thought my city grew too big and FPS just too low. Then I realize it was patch or mod. I deactivated all mods and it was fine again, so not sure which one it was.

I haven't installed this one yet, but going from 9 tiles to 25 was awesome. Now there is 81 tile mod...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=422554572

1369019068829.jpg

Thorgal

So i am about ready to get some asset building mods .

Any recomendations ?

Edit : also looking for some vehicle mods to diversify the traffic a bit .

Gr8one

started a new project, map infact is a recreation of the land from Frozen lol.

that looks really cool! I'm following Migeli now, and I just know sometime next year there will be a medieval tc. This game is going places!

So i am about ready to get some asset building mods .

Any recomendations ?

Edit : also looking for some vehicle mods to diversify the traffic a bit .

Check out the modding thread. Spiritfox has a good list of the best custom asset creators.

I made a massive collection of custom assets but its not curated, its more of just a way for me to keep track of anything that isn't a vanilla asset with a shit ton of props slapped on it. I think the LD/HD Residential, LD/HD Commercial, and Offices are all pretty safe, parks and unique buildings can be a bit iffy on quality (mainly LOD issues). I'd suggest not subscribing to all of them (t'll break your game :p) but take a look, there's lots of really gorgeous models on there.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409472228

If you just want to get to playing and just want to click "subscribe all" here's some of the better collections I found:

obv has a great custom asset collection. He's obsessive compulsive about custom assets buildings including running a database with ratings on each of them and helping authors get their buildings to real scale.I highly recommend his collection.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409621624

If you don't care about vanilla assets here's a few good curated collections with a good mix

Growable Starter Pack:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=417950430

There's one more collection that is fantastic and organized by building type and further by building level but I can't find it at the moment. I'll update this post when I do.

found it, workshop asset manager (there's a ton of buildings in here):
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416066148&tscn=1428457952

_woLf

What is the best way to avoid the random death waves that kill 40% of your city? It's complete bullshit and happens out of nowhere despite no traffic issues and perfect coverage.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What is the best way to avoid the random death waves that kill 40% of your city? It's complete bullshit and happens out of nowhere despite no traffic issues and perfect coverage.

Expand slowly. The death waves happen because you have a period of rapid expansion, and all those new citizens got old and died at the same time.

Crispy75

Advice seems to be: Don't zone large blocks of residential at once - Cims all live to the same age and then die.

Crispy75

My third city is well underway now.

RlLt1qZ.jpg

50k population, very healthy income, no major traffic issues and *completely disconnected from the highway system*

Crispy75

Looks stunning Crispy. How many tiles is that across, and is that a little offshoot in development inland?

The development along the coast is almost exactly 3 tiles. There are a few settlements in the hills.

MYQyu7I.jpg

Getting railways up there with Stricter Slopes installed is quite a challenge!

mJasKTT.jpg

(check out the spiral loop on the right)

This ore extraction site is pretty much as far North as you can get on the 25-tile version of this map. Only accesible by rail, or winding valley road to the lakeside town. Cutting off road access to remote settlements like this really helps cut down on stupid garbage trucks driving 10km across the map etc.

xyUBu3B.jpg

I'll do a proper tour of the city when it's "finished" :)

Jintor

I'm gonna take a gamble on a valley/hills map that should force more creative building if I don't go insane from the fucking slope to high thing first

Also I want beaches. Let me build beaches.

I've probably spent around 30 hours over the last few days on my first city, still looks like shit, there's several areas with traffic issues, got fed up with the default elementary and high schools, fire, crematorium and garbage services and ended up modding/downloading modded assets to handle it. On the garbage and crematorium front it didn't help a ton since the AI for the hearses/trucks is close to non-existent, I really hope that in a future update CO at the very least allows us to set services to only work in/for a designated district if we choose to.

Anyway roughly doubled my population in the last couple days, fighting off death waves and the population bouncing back and unlocked my ninth tile along with the OP Fusion Plant. Also demolished one of my early industrial areas but still haven't decided what I'm going to do with the area. Also have over seven million in the coffers so I can afford to do a major revamp which I'm probably going to have to do in some areas, my large snaking road commercial/office district didn't pan out the way I hoped it would and was forced to add intersections in spots to shorten travel times and the traffic was pretty brutal in that area and not enough people are using the metro lines I have set up. Don't know if I actually need to add more or place the ones I already have differently. Also still need to redo all my route lines because I'm sure they'd be better off shorter and then just have spots where stops link so Cims can move from one trains/bus to another, which I already do but in a very messy fashion. I also probably have too many train depots for loading/off-loading cargo. I'm pretty sure I have at least three I could disable.

If you don't care about vanilla assets here's a few good curated collections with a good mix

Growable Starter Pack:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=417950430

Holy crap that seems like a lot, how much does that increase loading times and increase memory usage? I'm tempted to download all of them.

EDIT: And that 81 tiles mod... Sweet Jeebus. If you can increase the number of cims being simmed at any one time the game's is still going to be a potential resource monster for years.

Gr8one

I have given up trying to build farming communities while still having an educated population. It's impossible with the current uneducated requirements, while cims will go work there eventually it's too frustrating waiting and watching my farms get abandoned constantly. I hope CO think of a way to include viable specialized industry in the future, it just seems like an afterthought or a placeholder, much like tourism.

SimCity 2013 had a lot of problems but the way they implemented city specialization was really well done.

Holy crap that seems like a lot, how much does that increase loading times and increase memory usage? I'm tempted to download all of them.

They increase loading time considerably. I actually had 1500 assets at one point and the game wouldn't even load to the main menu. Now I stick to about 200 hundredish of my favorites to keep the loading times reasonable. Primarily growables and then sub to unique buildings depending on what I have planned for landmarks in my city.

Improved Asset Panel mod is a must. The guy that made it is a saint, you can make a favorite list of assets, select all or unselect all, sort by building type, etc.

Improved Asset Panel mod is a must. The guy that made it is a saint, you can make a favorite list of assets, select all or unselect all, sort by building type, etc.

Thanks for the info, I definitely won't be going that high with user made assets, I might give that list a shot and yeah, I added the Improved Asset Panel a couple days ago but I think I disabled it after trying to figure out what was causing some problems I was having but it turned out to be the game bugging after I made a custom asset which it would show twice on the assets screen leading me to think I accidentally saved it twice and it would delete a custom asset I downloaded. I should probably just delete the player made incinerator from my game because it seems to be tied to it and just make my own.

SumGamer

just stick it across. power lines are basically temporary until your city swallows them anyway

I'm trying to leave some space near them in case I need to add another route to by pass the heavy traffic. Everything is working now though, I happened to cut off one of the power line while I was adding roads.

Since now I used a lot of barrier highway as main city-connections it make power line connection even harder to place properly.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh so I. Figured my problem and why my economy was going nowhere. I plopped a few parks, happiness went up, leisure went up, bam economy fixed. No more goods not getting to Commerce, less sick people, all in all everything fixed. Weird. I got my pop to 200k as well. Wohoo

Still working on my replica of Dixon, IL (hometown). I redid the map to get the scale more accurate, and I'm pretty close. Some some inaccuracies, but it's pretty good, all things considered.

1024x640.resizedimage

Real life: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8438554,-89.4682675,14z/data=!5m1!1e4

Need to relay the railroad, and download whatever mod removes specific traffic lights, but I think it's going to be fun. It really drives home how elevated the population + scale is in this game. Dixon has about 16k people and I'm already in the 3-4 tile range (can't remember), and will probably need to run the 25 time mod to get the entire city + country side features in.

Thorgal

What's the mod for black roads? It looks great

In my pic ? they are the standard roads .

the lighting from a color correction LUT mod is giving the illusion that the roads are black .

That being said, i now humbly request somebody to make a black roads mod . :p

Here's my first proper attempt at a rural/farming area

My city right now (50K population), got some traffic issues on the left. Added in a bunch of roundabouts and pedestrian pathways but it didn't really help lol.
Try changing the roundabout road type to freeway. It'll remove any traffic lights and traffic will move much faster. And make sure the one way forms a full circle in one direction. Also try having the entrance/exit's to roundabouts flow smoothly so traffic doesn't have to stop to do a sharp right angle turn.

Jintor

Is there an easy way to get those lovely tiny house 1x3 growables without having to leave space between things all the time

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Real cul-de-sacs would be pretty nice. Just a circular piece of road that caps off a normal street with 2x2 zoning areas around the edge. About 5 of them not counting the road area that would connect to it. It'd be perfect and look much nicer. They could be placeable manually. As long as they offer 5 zone areas for low density houses to spawn.

Re above: Probably not. I do wish there was an option for really low density that would force only normal houses to spawn in 1x3 or 2x2 or 2x3 sizes only.

Ranger X

I sort of face a problem with my city. Or maybe the game is like this. I am near 8000 of population and then everythings is going to crawl. I just got offices, metro and high density zones. My RCI indicator is always at the bottom, my industry and commerce always complain they don't have enough educated workers while I DO have primary schools, highschools and university. So basically right now I am constantly explosing abandoned buildings and that's quite boring.

What's up with that? Something I am missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom