• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm so glad they updated the Mac version to include all the assets I subscribed to. I got my first In-N-Out Burger last night...

CCxB6Q8UsAAar4f.png:large

Somehow I don't think that's right.

Piano

Banned
I'm having a lot of fun with the game, and I'm doing pretty well (city at 86,000 with a huge budget surplus and only a few red intersections) but I have little sense of strategy. Most of my city is a grid and when I'm presented with a traffic problem I have no idea where to start in fixing it. Heavy traffic bans sometimes work, sometimes don't. I haven't been able to get roundabouts to work, for some reason, they always get clogged. How do I build one well?

Anyways, how do I get gud at this game? I've seen that traffic engineers imgur guide and it was informative but it also glossed over some areas.

I want to start a second city soon but I don't really have any creative ideas on how to make it different than my first. How do I start? How do I decide when to switch to HD? etc.

So what are cargo trains for? I mean, I can read that it says "delivers goods", but I'm not really sure what that means, or where I should be placing the stations. I put one in my industrial area - so does this mean that the stuff I produce is being sold (off map)?

What about my commercial areas? Would it help to put a station there - and would it cut down on the number of needed delivery trucks?

Piano

Banned
So what are cargo trains for? I mean, I can read that it says "delivers goods", but I'm not really sure what that means, or where I should be placing the stations. I put one in my industrial area - so does this mean that the stuff I produce is being sold (off map)?

What about my commercial areas? Would it help to put a station there - and would it cut down on the number of needed delivery trucks?

You need to lay down tracks to connect at least one end of your cargo station to the (already existing) train tracks somewhere on your map. Every map has a few sets of tracks that can be used for export.

Once you do you'll see trains coming in, their cargo getting lifted off of the train and then trucks driving out of the cargo station to deliver the goods. From what I understand and have observed it's an alternate way for your industry (and commercial?) to import goods without clogging up the highways.

I think.

You need to lay down tracks to connect at least one end of your cargo station to the (already existing) train tracks somewhere on your map. Every map has a few sets of tracks that can be used for export.

Once you do you'll see trains coming in, their cargo getting lifted off of the train and then trucks driving out of the cargo station to deliver the goods. From what I understand and have observed it's an alternate way for your industry (and commercial?) to import goods without clogging up the highways.

I think.

No, I get hooking them up to the outside world - I've done that. But right now I just have one station in my (general) industrial area. I'm just not entirely sure what it's doing. I assume some/most/all of my goods are being delivered to my commercial areas, by truck, right? Is the excess being exported for money? Or if I'm short goods, does the train connection then import?

If I place another station in my major commercial area, and connect it to my industrial station, will that cut down on traffic? Although, I suspect then I'd have major truck traffic coming out of that second cargo station.....

Piano

Banned
No, I get hooking them up to the outside world - I've done that. But right now I just have one station in my (general) industrial area. I'm just not entirely sure what it's doing. I assume some/most/all of my goods are being delivered to my commercial areas, by truck, right? Is the excess being exported for money? Or if I'm short goods, does the train connection then import?

If I place another station in my major commercial area, and connect it to my industrial station, will that cut down on traffic? Although, I suspect then I'd have major truck traffic coming out of that second cargo station.....

I do not know those things, so now I am also wondering those things.
Does anybody know?

I've played the game for ~20 hours now and there are still quite a few opaque elements / systems.

Crispy75

Exactly this. It basically removes the need for highways between your industrial and commerical areas. With a (segregated) external connection, it also removes the need for any highway connection at all.

qxznUV1.png

Although you'll find the cargo transfer station starts getting saturated around 40-50k population. If you have multiple rail connections to the map edge, then you can have multiple transfer stations. Cargo ports help too.

I've demolished all the highways on the map. Nearly everything here is two lane road (one ways and bi-directional). Loads of railways for people and cargo. No traffic congestion.

01RkeDR.jpg

Gr8one

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, and I'm doing pretty well (city at 86,000 with a huge budget surplus and only a few red intersections) but I have little sense of strategy. Most of my city is a grid and when I'm presented with a traffic problem I have no idea where to start in fixing it. Heavy traffic bans sometimes work, sometimes don't. I haven't been able to get roundabouts to work, for some reason, they always get clogged. How do I build one well?

Anyways, how do I get gud at this game? I've seen that traffic engineers imgur guide and it was informative but it also glossed over some areas.

I want to start a second city soon but I don't really have any creative ideas on how to make it different than my first. How do I start? How do I decide when to switch to HD? etc.

If you haven;t already make sure your roundabouts are upgraded to highways so you avoid creating lights at every intersection. If you still have issues with the roundabout being backed up, follow the traffic further ahead from the blockage. Generally it is a traffic light intersection further down the road that will cause the problem. From there you're best course of action is giving your cims multiple options for entering and exiting the problem districts to spread out the traffic on more roads on your network.

Roundabouts are useful but they aren't the best solution for traffic problems. Also don't be afraid to experiment. Save and pause the game, then bulldoze the shit out your city to rebuild road networks, if it doesn't work, reload and try something else. Those cims you make homeless will cry and bitch, but even the highly educated cims are mouth breathing plebs, they'll move back in to the city like nothing happened. Plus it feels so good to see your hard work being paid off with smooth flowing traffic, probably my favorite aspect of this game.

edit: Also I found that most cims will choose the far right hand lane in traffic circles in preparations to exit, so if you can give them left lane, or center lane options further up the road, it will clear up the right lane traffic somewhat. This will in turn make your roundabout smoother for the cims merging at the various intersection points on it, and make them flow faster.

Exactly this. It basically removes the need for highways between your industrial and commerical areas. With a (segregated) external connection, it also removes the need for any highway connection at all.

qxznUV1.png

Although you'll find the cargo transfer station starts getting saturated around 40-50k population. If you have multiple rail connections to the map edge, then you can have multiple transfer stations. Cargo ports help too.

I've demolished all the highways on the map. Nearly everything here is two lane road (one ways and bi-directional). Loads of railways for people and cargo. No traffic congestion.

01RkeDR.jpg

I can attest this system is fantastic and you can somewhat control the commercial delivery van congestion in your city by strategically placing cargo stations near commercial centres. Also Crispy your rail network looks really nice and tidy. Very sexy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Crossings! Don't know if it's been posted yet. Some graphical bugs but seems to be the goods. You can even add or remove lights with the Toggle Traffic Lights mod.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=427258853&searchtext=
Awesome. Now all we need is a mod that automatically removes the devider from 4 lane roads when they're in front of services like Police, Fire and Hospital/Hearse. Because right now if you have one of those buildings on a 4-lane road, they have to turn right, then find a place to either turn around (A dead-end) or go around a block in order to go to the left. In real life I suspect they'd remove the median if a building like that was ever built on a road like that. The hack way to overcome it would be to use a 6 lane road just for the segment in front of the building, but it looks terrible.

Also, it bugs me that no buildings add driveways. Cars just drive up on the curb. Even if it's grassy. Looks really silly.

Gr8one

Awesome. Now all we need is a mod that automatically removes the devider from 4 lane roads when they're in front of services like Police, Fire and Hospital/Hearse. Because right now if you have one of those buildings on a 4-lane road, they have to turn right, then find a place to either turn around (A dead-end) or go around a block in order to go to the left. In real life I suspect they'd remove the median if a building like that was ever built on a road like that. The hack way to overcome it would be to use a 6 lane road just for the segment in front of the building, but it looks terrible.

Also, it bugs me that no buildings add driveways. Cars just drive up on the curb. Even if it's grassy. Looks really silly.

Agreed, I really want some way to implement alleyways for things like trash pickup too.I tried using pedestrian paths but it looked kinda weird. Also one of the building modders made a cat park and I kinda want to have his cats props roaming my alleyways at some point, for reasons.

Crispy75

Is it fine to mix and match areas like you get a spec of commercial in a residential area
Commercial makes sound pollution so it's not ideal.

I do it anyway, cos it looks nice and I want my cims to be able to get a pint of milk at 11pm without having to get in their car or catch a bus :D

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My current city has reached that point again where a huge amount of the population died at once and the hearses aren't fast enough to keep up. It went from 115,000 to 75,000 instantly. I have plenty of crematoriums. I just have this bad feeling that each hearse decided to go after the furthest body and are currently all tied up in far corners of the map because those skull icons just won't go away.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd prefer Mac specific two-finger panning with pinch to zoom. Click and drag would require changing tools.Well, unless it used the right button. But it's hard enough to drag with the right button on my trackpad.

Oh and more importantly, make it zoom to the cursor location, not the center of the screen.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Did you guys see this?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412101021

no left/right turn on intersections mod.

Sadly not compatible atm with Traffic++ but... FINALLY.

Crossings! Don't know if it's been posted yet. Some graphical bugs but seems to be the goods. You can even add or remove lights with the Toggle Traffic Lights mod.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=427258853&searchtext=

Might want to check out Traffic Manger:

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=427585724

Combines several of the traffic mods. Once this matures, we can rename the game to Traffic Simulator.

Copons

Is there around some kind of guide or tutorial for the terraform tool?

I'm desperately trying to do some pits for railroads but I just cannot seem to get what the tools actually do - or how powerful they are, or why the first button sometimes rise and some other lower the terrain...

Crispy75

Is there around some kind of guide or tutorial for the terraform tool?

I'm desperately trying to do some pits for railroads but I just cannot seem to get what the tools actually do - or how powerful they are, or why the first button sometimes rise and some other lower the terrain...

From left to right they are:

Raise/lower by 1 "step" ie. the same height as a press of PgUp or PgDown. LClick to raise, Rclick to lower.

Raise/lower smoothly. Same buttons, but hold them down to keep on raising/lowering.

Smooth. Average out the land under the brush. Lclick.

Level. Rclick to "read" a level from the world. Lclick to "paint" flat ground at that level.

Ramp. Rclick to set a "destination" level in the world. Lclick and drag from a starting point to the destination to create a smooth slope between the two.

Paint sand. Lclick to lay down a nice yellow sandy texture. Great for beaches.

For all the commands, numpad +/- changes the brush size, Shift + numpad +/- changes the strength of the effect. Ctrl-Z to undo (and refund) your changes. The undo is only avialable while you stay in terraforming mode. If you choose another tool (eg. roads) then your terraforming is baked in.

vityaz

Might want to check out Traffic Manger:

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=427585724

Combines several of the traffic mods. Once this matures, we can rename the game to Traffic Simulator.

Great mod, but be aware that it is quite buggy right now. The developer pushed an update an hour or two ago that seems to mess with the ability to save... hoping it'll be fixed quickly. Just lost a lot of work due to this :/

edit: save problem seems fixed

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How did he manage to use the exact same position for the shot every time?
Apparently there's a mod that lets you save camera positions.
I was wondering that myself. It makes total sense. And I wouldn't be surprised. Still a lot of work. But I guess if you set a timer for yourself and attach the camera movement and saving and screenshotting to a single hotkey as a script, then possibly have it move back to where you were, it would be mostly painless.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I was wondering that myself. It makes total sense. And I wouldn't be surprised. Still a lot of work. But I guess if you set a timer for yourself and attach the camera movement and saving and screenshotting to a single hotkey as a script, then possibly have it move back to where you were, it would be mostly painless.

You could also use something like AutoHotKey to automate the whole thing. Camera switch, screenshot, back to your previous view every minute or so. That might be more annoying if it happened at the wrong time I suppose.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm trying to clean up the apparently 40,000 dead bodies that suddenly appeared in my city so I have the game running windowed in the background. Ugh, it's going to take forever. If it's even working. Thankfully I have $6,000,000 in reserve. We'll see how my city looks when they finish.

What I want, if it doesn't already exist, is a mod that lets me click on a Crematorium (Or other service building) and have it highlight, with light beams into the sky, that show where every vehicle is currently in the map. They could extend it to work for other buildings that have vehicles of their own like stations and docks that send out delivery trucks. Maybe extend it even more to have it show the percentage of capacity. Maybe also their current route and targets.

need a screenshot mod
No you don't.

Your OS has it built in and Steam has it built in. It already has a "remove UI so you can take a screenshot" mode. It's all you need. No need for a third screenshot method.

Copons

From left to right they are:

Raise/lower by 1 "step" ie. the same height as a press of PgUp or PgDown. LClick to raise, Rclick to lower.

Raise/lower smoothly. Same buttons, but hold them down to keep on raising/lowering.

Smooth. Average out the land under the brush. Lclick.

Level. Rclick to "read" a level from the world. Lclick to "paint" flat ground at that level.

Ramp. Rclick to set a "destination" level in the world. Lclick and drag from a starting point to the destination to create a smooth slope between the two.

Paint sand. Lclick to lay down a nice yellow sandy texture. Great for beaches.

For all the commands, numpad +/- changes the brush size, Shift + numpad +/- changes the strength of the effect. Ctrl-Z to undo (and refund) your changes. The undo is only avialable while you stay in terraforming mode. If you choose another tool (eg. roads) then your terraforming is baked in.

Thanks! I'll keep your post pinned somewhere next time I play!

spiritfox

I'm trying to clean up the apparently 40,000 dead bodies that suddenly appeared in my city so I have the game running windowed in the background. Ugh, it's going to take forever. If it's even working. Thankfully I have $6,000,000 in reserve. We'll see how my city looks when they finish.

What I want, if it doesn't already exist, is a mod that lets me click on a Crematorium (Or other service building) and have it highlight, with light beams into the sky, that show where every vehicle is currently in the map. They could extend it to work for other buildings that have vehicles of their own like stations and docks that send out delivery trucks. Maybe extend it even more to have it show the percentage of capacity. Maybe also their current route and targets.

No you don't.

Your OS has it built in and Steam has it built in. It already has a "remove UI so you can take a screenshot" mode. It's all you need. No need for a third screenshot method.

There is a mod that increases the randomness of deaths so death waves occur less. You can also reduce it by not zoning large sections of residential at the same time.

I've been meaning to use that mod myself, probably should because just using a couple "OP" crematoriums with 100 cars still isn't cutting it when they leave for the other side of my city while the one has its cars spread out too isn't helping much.

Still hoping that at some point we'll be able to restrict such services to the district they're in or at least choose what districts they prioritize.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What's an idea way to make a pollution-less city?

Commercial makes sound pollution so it's not ideal.

I do it anyway, cos it looks nice and I want my cims to be able to get a pint of milk at 11pm without having to get in their car or catch a bus :D

Yeah honestly it feels more realistic to have random commercial establishments dotted around.

It doesn't make sense that they're all clustered in areas.

How the hell do I select metro lines in order to modify/delete them?? While on the Transportation view, all I can do is 'click and drag to add a stop'.

My city has grown enough where I feel like my old lines are obsolete. Do you guys just add new ones in that case?

Jintor

No you don't.

You don't understand what I'm saying.

I'm lazy as fuck and I want the game to take screenshots while I'm busy actually playing the game

Boss Doggie

How do you guys start a town anyway? Do you create a road that connects it to the "outsider" highway or do you directly build on that road?

spiritfox

How do you guys start a town anyway? Do you create a road that connects it to the "outsider" highway or do you directly build on that road?

The main street connecting to the highway is the arterial road and should be as free flowing as possible. Build neighbourhoods off the main road and have 1 or 2 entrances at most. Industry should be as close to the highway as possible and have their own connection if they're overwhelming the main road. Commercial should have easy access to industry and be spread out to reduce the congestion from goods vans. Offices are a nice buffer from pollution for your residential zones.

Boss Doggie

Doesn't Office make noise pollution?

So the best suggestion is to plop a roundabout to connect the main highway and the other zones?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There is a mod that increases the randomness of deaths so death waves occur less. You can also reduce it by not zoning large sections of residential at the same time.
The thing is they all die across the entire city. At worst I zoned single blocks at a time. But they all just suddenly die across the entire city randomly like clockwork.

But hopefully my hearses will just do their job and I'll be back in the red after a few weeks again.

Boss Doggie

Oh all right, didn't know it doesn't. Looks like I'll put it near residentials next time.

And speaking of death, any one else annoyed that hearses are suddenly all occupied?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

One thing I've taken to doing to prevent and lessen death waves is to zone things with the game unpaused. I used to always zone big new sections with the game paused, then unpause and let the simulation run. It's a habit I developed from my decade+ of playing Simity 4. Playing CSL that way really encourages death waves to happen down the road, because whole sections of residential "pop" into existence right after you unpause. By zoning residential with the game running it really helps to space out the citizens moving in and then later dying off.

One thing I've taken to doing to prevent and lessen death waves is to zone things with the game unpaused. I used to always zone big new sections with the game paused, then unpause and let the simulation run. It's a habit I developed from my decade+ of playing Simity 4. Playing CSL that way really encourages death waves to happen down the road, because whole sections of residential "pop" into existence right after you unpause. By zoning residential with the game running it really helps to space out the citizens moving in and then later dying off.

Thanks. I always play like that, but was wondering if it wouldn't be more efficient to pause. But now I know I'll continue like this. Feels more 'realistic' anyway - city keeps being alive and waiting for me to solve its needs.

Copons

Noise pollution isn't really that damaging right? Since I plopped a metro station in the suburb

Metro station's noise pollution is kinda minimal. Try zoning a huge high density commercial district served by both a cargo and a normal station in the middle of your suburb if you want to really hurt your citizens. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom