• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

I wonder what sort of cities an AI would come up with. I don't really know anything about AI right now, but maybe when I get arond to taking a course in it I'll try to figure something out.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Holy shit my death rate tripled. From about 100 to 300 in a few months. What gives./

Mine did that too and I figured out it was because my Hospital coverage was piss-poor.

It's probably because you had a growth spurt about 6 years ago, and just now all of your seniors died at the same time. They really need to stagger deaths.

Not sure how true this is. What is the cause of overeducated workers then? Why is that highlighted in this game? Are they less happy/wanting office jobs instead?
Just info, I guess. As far as I can tell, what kind of job doesn't affect happiness. As far as I can tell, more educated always means more happy.

Any suggestions? I dont want to run into major problems because redesigning might put my net worth into the negative and kill my game.

I am thinking of adding a major roadway on the empty space to the left to connect to the highway, but I am not sure which roads to add or how to go about it.

I can't really tell by your pic, but it seems like your industrial trucks might be interfering with the rest of your traffic. Some suggestions:

Analyze the paths your trucks take. Build an expressway that allows them to bypass everything else either on their way, on their way back, or both. Hopefully your solution involves the least amount of traffic lights possible.

This could take the form of an elevated on ramp, or maybe something like a frontage road.

Also, put in some buses if you haven't already.

Or, you can post up your save, and I'll take a look and fix it, and then tell you what I did ;)

Hrothgar

Yesterday my game crashed and I hadn't saved in a few hours, I went from 17k to 5k...

Atleast I can change some things I wasn't happy with before.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Someone should start a dedicated thread to track mods, preferably someone who can keep the OP updated regularly. Maybe separate them out into categories (gameplay, UI, beta/WIP, visual/asset, collections, etc).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Someone should start a dedicated thread to track mods, preferably someone who can keep the OP updated regularly. Maybe separate them out into categories (gameplay, UI, beta/WIP, visual/asset, collections, etc).

Yep, but honestly, I know people in the paradox forums do that constantly for other games. No one doing that already over there? I did it for some other games, but its quite a lot of work and effort with such a big community, meaning (for example) I will stick to only updating info posts on the ones I use myself.

Ayt

Banned
From there you can also modify the line's name and the color of the buses.

This game really need a list of all the active lines where you can make all sort of change... can you hear me Colossal Order? This, tunnels and terraforming ...

Well you can bring up the mass transit map mode from the upper left and then just click on individual lines to make changes.

Skyzard

Banned
Getting hooked to these mods, haven't even zoned anything yet :p

Thanks for the recommendations.

=-=-=-=-=-=
If you're using multiple screens, get cursor jail so you can pan properly.

Also the chirper position changer is nice.

I don't use the toggle chirper mod as it leaves a text-based toggle button (misaligned on my screen too) when using the free camera mode - speaking of that, why do people use the hide UI button instead of the free camera tool in the bottom right?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yep, but honestly, I know people in the paradox forums do that constantly for other games. No one doing that already over there? I did it for some other games, but its quite a lot of work and effort with such a big community, meaning (for example) I will stick to only updating info posts on the ones I use myself.

Well, I was just bringing it up as a suggestion given how fast this thread moves. A simple link to another page that's compiling this stuff would also suffice since we can just point people to that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Holy shit MaxisLime (the former SimCity dev who started making Skylines buildings) started a Patreon to fund himself making more buildings. This is awesome.

https://www.patreon.com/gula?ty=a

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407004390

http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyli...slime_here_checking_in_with_my_first_art_mod/

This is a video on how he made that Down N Out building
https://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=1885405

9ccd1cb29a445f0cb90d40a54498cd22.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Cities: Skylines |OT2| There is a mod for that
Cities: Skylines |OT2| "Is there a mod for..." - yes

I vote for this one

hot damn it's only been a week and some of these mods are just amazing already lol

I can't WAIT until someone does a complete overhaul and we get an Egypt mod, a GoT mod, etc. It'll be a game for the ages.

Caayn

Welp, here's my first city. Still finding my ways to build a city. I try to avoid blocks and try to use curved roads to make my city less boring. Costs more space and the traffic is a nightmare, although I find it fun to fiddle with the traffic and the road layout.

The island is my test area, so you'll see strange things such a roads directly coming into contact with the highway instead of an exit lane. And just north of the island is an off-shore power/wind farm.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Haha, the reddit chirpy mod now uses its own subreddit (changeable though) :D
https://www.reddit.com/r/chirpit

We have the best Mayor in the world!" Said no one ever. #Rekt

Stop asking people to water your plants while you are on vacation! Hire a service #cheap #Notyourgardener

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just a part of some city building game.#Iwonder

I went swimming and my skin is purple now. #Summer #Pleasehelp #Itburns

Don't think I don't notice your phallic shaped streets. #penis

Grief.exe

What's the cutoff for still getting achievements when using the Steam workshop?

Can I download some intersections and color corrections and still be fine?

Smiley90

So I went on a mod downloading spree and searched for functional mods to enhance the gameplay experience. In case anyone is interested, these are the ones I have currently installed:

Reddit for Chirpy
Every 5 minutes, chirpy will say the top message of /r/showerthoughts.

LOL

Haha, the reddit chirpy mod now uses its own subreddit (changeable though) :D
https://www.reddit.com/r/chirpit

We have the best Mayor in the world!" Said no one ever. #Rekt

Stop asking people to water your plants while you are on vacation! Hire a service #cheap #Notyourgardener

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just a part of some city building game.#Iwonder

I went swimming and my skin is purple now. #Summer #Pleasehelp #Itburns

Don't think I don't notice your phallic shaped streets. #penis

amazing ahaha

wotter

So I went on a mod downloading spree and searched for functional mods to enhance the gameplay experience. In case anyone is interested, these are the ones I have currently installed:

Great, this should be added to the OP.
I don't have the game yet, and I want to have a list of all the (great) mods available.

Toma

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What's the cutoff for still getting achievements when using the Steam workshop?

Can I download some intersections and color corrections and still be fine?

Anything labeled "mod" will disable achievements, so stuff like assets won't.

But.

Just get the "enable achievements" mod, and then it doesn't matter anymore. Use whatever you like.

Holy schmosby, someone recreated the GTA V map in this game :
cities_skylines_gta_5-3-600x337.jpg

Looks good ;)

Can we go ahead and add this to the OP? It gets reposted pretty much every page lol.

Also, I'm playing SimCity BuildIt on my iPad Air 2 because my PC can't handle this game and I want to build cities with you all. :(

Is it effective, to create a bus line that goes from a specific neighborhood to industrial/commercial centers with no stops in between?

I'm currently using large loops bus routes, and I don't know if that's the best way to do it.

Also, if I put bus stops next to metro stops, will they people take a bus to the subway and vice versa?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Coulda done the same with a pair of cargo train stations and a railway line - much less land take :)

I already have a train cargo station up there with an outside connection, and it gets used a lot, but I still had tons of traffic driving down to the ship terminal.

I wonder if I put a train cargo center downtown, right next to the shipyard, and connected it to the main rail network. Would they ship it down by train and then load the boat? I may try that just to see what happens...

Is there any Let's Play series currently being done by someone actually good at the game over on Youtube? Would like to watch some and learn the finer points of the game that way.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is it effective, to create a bus line that goes from a specific neighborhood to industrial/commercial centers with no stops in between?

I'm currently using large loops bus routes, and I don't know if that's the best way to do it.

Also, if I put bus stops next to metro stops, will they people take a bus to the subway and vice versa?

1. Large loops could work, but if one part of the loop is subject to high traffic, that might screw it up. Smaller routes with transfer routes could work better in that case.

2. Your people will transfer between transit types, yes.

Amzin

how do you delete lines in your public transportation setup? Want to clean up my metro.

I think you need to be in the line placing mode and then just click the bulldoze icon. If you start wrecking up your overworld you'll know I'm wrong though~

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
how do you delete lines in your public transportation setup? Want to clean up my metro.

1. find the bus or subway that is part of that line. Click it. Click modify line. Delete line.

2. go to the transportation info view. Click on a line. Click modify line. Delete line.

Fox318

So yeah, I pretty much played CSL this entire weekend. Learned a lot, made many mistakes, but managed to get my city up to 73,500 population, almost to monument unlock level. Unfortunately a generation of old timers started dying off right then so I dipped back down to 69K for now, hopefully it will pop back up soon.

Made a nice little farm & logging town nestled in a valley up north of my map, no education at all so all of the dumb people will hunt down those low wage jobs, lol!

Spent a good bit Saturday figuring out why my traffic was so horrible on my main avenue through the city. Came to realize that my logging trucks and farm tractors from up north were hauling their stuff all the way south to my cargo docks, all the way at the end of main street. So I built an extensive highway to bypass the outskirts of my city. I had to weave it a bit to avoid tearing down lots of stuff but I'm really happy with the end result. Worked huge wonders for my traffic problems!

Also built a solar panel farm with a mod I found on the workshop. They aren't quite as efficient as the default solar tower on a per dollar basis but they are close. I just like the look of a huge solar array on the hillside overlooking my city:

Yep, this game is all manners of fun addiction. I don't think I've enjoyed a new game like this since I first discovered Minecraft back in July 2010. I'm very proud that I'm still on my first city and really happy with how it's turning out so far, but man I can't wait to start on a different map and build a whole new city with the knowledge I have now.

gotta love the lambos on the farm

Mod Achievement Enabler

Get achievements while using other mods.

Reddit for Chirpy
Every 5 minutes, chirpy will say the top message of /r/showerthoughts.

AutoLineColor
Public transit lines are automatically colored and given different shades, while still retaining similar color types for the same form of public transit.

City Statistics Easy Access
Adds a button to the task bar, allowing you to access the statistics without going through the menu.

Blockbuster Color Correction
Makes the colors pop more, I tried a variety of color correction mods, liked this the best, but subjective obviously.

Automatic Emptying
Automatically empties cemeteries and garbage dumps once they hit 100%.

HideUI
Press F11 to hide the UI (Screenshots!)

SimpleClock
Adds a simple clock to the task bar.

Ground Level Camera
Press tab to switch to first person mode.

Traffic Report Tool (Beta)
Click on any car/street/building to see pathways to/from that object.

Disable FilmGrainEffect
Disables said effect.

AutoSave - Configurable
Enables autosaves.

All 25 Areas purchaseable
Makes all 25 tiles purchaseable once you hit the last city milestone.

Tree Brush
Plant multiple trees at a time.

Automatic Bulldoze
Adds settings to automatically bulldoze burned or vacant buildings.

Extended Road Upgrade - One- and two-way roads!
Adds another road tool option that allows to switch between the road types, and even switch the direction of one way roads on the fly.

Text Scale Mod
Dynamically adjust the text scale you want to use.

Nice collection. The only one missing is the dynamic resolution mod. Really helps with the aliasing.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406629464&searchtext=dynamic

80,000 in student loans. Jesus.

Offtopic
I take it huge college debts aren't common where you live? Coming out of college with over $50k in debt isn't all that uncommon in the US these days :(

Man those mods are looking tasty. Now that the achievement mod enabler is up, I really need to start using more of those.

Smiley90

I just realized what mod I need

dedicated bus lanes on streets

traffic can go suck it

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
there is something therapeutic about flying around your city with 1st person mod.

Yeah, watching the game in motion can be mesmerizing. I like to click the follow button on vehicles and watch them drive all over the world I've created. It's especially cool on vehicles that really put some miles on and drive all over the place.

Someday someone's going to release a first person driving mod for this game that will allow us to free drive all over our cities!

Corgi

Banned
Offtopic
I take it huge college debts aren't common where you live? Coming out of college with over $50k in debt isn't all that uncommon in the US these days :(
I mean he seems like a veteran in the industry yet still has that much in loans. I graduated out of college in 2013 and have about $9k left. But am currently residing at the parents place while I aggressively pay those off.

Yeah, watching the game in motion can be mesmerizing. I like to click the follow button on vehicles and watch them drive all over the world I've created. It's especially cool on vehicles that really put some miles on and drive all over the place.

Someday someone's going to release a first person driving mod for this game that will allow us to free drive all over our cities!

following vehicles is also a great way to figure out where your jams are. Sometimes you just don't notice traffic in the overview view at 3x speed.

Been following this game since it was announced last year. In a transitionary period of my life right now, so I can't bite. This game would eat me alive. For now I'll have to satiate my needs vicariously in this OT.

jtb

Banned
Is there a button to easily access all the bus/metro lines? It's a pain to manually click on lines to look at their stats/change their name/colors/etc.

I'm surprised and half disappointed someone from CO hasn't shown up here yet. Seeing as that achievement mod is out I should probably use some of those mods.

anyone find any use of normal civilian trains? Cargo trains are great... but i'm not really getting many tourists :(

Is there a mod that deletes cementaries? Accidentally had one facing a highway when I was rebuilding the roads, so there is no way to get hearses in and out of there.

You'll probably have to mess with your roads again to get hearses to empty the place first, having a crematorium right next to it and speed things up.

Is there a button to easily access all the bus/metro lines? It's a pain to manually click on lines to look at their stats/change their name/colors/etc.

I don't think so. I have 50+ lines now and it would be nice to see at a glance which ones are more effective than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom