• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is there a mod or solution for those "mini" zones (1-4 squares) that constantly appear around curved roads? Right now these things are the most annoying aspect of the game - because since I'm always using curved roads, they're everywhere, and they're always the first buildings to fail or go abandoned.

Just don't zone them. If you don't zone them, no buildings appear, and none fail. Toss some trees in there instead.

I made a little 1x1 bench and fountain park to plop into those small 1x1 squares. Helps me fill out the curved roads while also improving land value and leisure. It's less effective than the normal parks in game but it still helps plus they are cheap, I removed the tourists from it so that it's a commercial demand friendly park. It's here on the workshop if you want it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408536459

Amzin

I took out a loan in my newly christened "Big City" last night to finally build 3 metro stations and some tunnels. My sprawl was too sprawly for my sprawly roads to keep up, so I decided I needed some public transport finally. I hadn't even built bus stations yet because I've been barely scraping by upgrading roads, expanding, and building services. I know people talk about having excessive money but I'm sure not there yet :p

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm having difficulties starting out. I've restarted countless times now.

The roads leading into the city are generally far from the water source, so I have my road come in and lead to the where the water is where I have my water pump and sewage system setup, and then I add the coal plant for electricity and start laying in my zones and spreading out some roads.

Am I going too fast with the development or something? Should I use a water tower and wind turbines?

Trickster

lunarcitygnkgd.jpg

Kept restarting cities because I was never happy with how they looked, after like 5 restarts since the game came out, I managed to get a city started that I liked.

No grids
No polluting industry
Lots of trees for aesthetics ( though apparently there's a cap to how many you can plant, which I've hit )
Sorta realistic in layout. Starts off with suburbs and low density commercial, then progresses into denser areas with highrise bans, and then to proper high density housing, offices and commercial buildings near center.

Still only at 34.6k inhabitents though, but I've decided not to rush it one bit, haven't used the accelerate time button at all, and since I'm still trying to grow the city outwards, I'm still making low density housing away from the downtown area

Kabouter

Kept restarting cities because I was never happy with how they looked, after like 5 restarts since the game came out, I managed to get a city started that I liked.

No grids
No polluting industry
Lots of trees for aesthetics ( though apparently there's a cap to how many you can plant, which I've hit )
Sorta realistic in layout. Starts off with suburbs and low density commercial, then progresses into denser areas with highrise bans, and then to proper high density housing, offices and commercial buildings near center.

Still only at 34.6k inhabitents though, but I've decided not to rush it one bit, haven't used the accelerate time button at all, and since I'm still trying to grow the city outwards, I'm still making low density housing away from the downtown area

That looks really nice :)

Kinthalis

Banned
I made a little 1x1 bench and fountain park to plop into those small 1x1 squares. Helps me fill out the curved roads while also improving land value and leisure. It's less effective than the normal parks in game but it still helps plus they are cheap, I removed the tourists from it so that it's a commercial demand friendly park. It's here on the workshop if you want it:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408536459

Subscribed, thanks!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just started this game, but is it possible to build a city from scratch without industrial? Don't you need it early on for jobs and income and such?

Skyzard

Banned
I think earlier versions of the game had more but they simplified it for the final retail version.

Ah, thank you. I was hoping it was that but I was running into other weird issues too and wanted to check.

Some of the brushes look neat but the ones they include are fine.

I am definitely not in it for the challenge. Mods and unlimited money and I just spend time building (and building, this land mass is huge) and solving problems like traffic and health and jobs.

Have put a dozen or so hours into it, it's a really nice experience.

Started letting my kids play and they have a town with 4 houses and 10 elementary schools. And lots of parks and roads to nowhere. But they're having fun.

I'm doing the same at the moment, well, I'm about to. It's fun enough just trying to design a pretty and useful city, for now anyway.

Spent the last day checking out the map editor and getting the basics down with city connections...still not 100% about plane and boat paths but I want to get building. Maybe after my first city or 2 I'll play properly but I'm so glad there were mods for unlocking more spaces straight away - that was kinda worrying to see initially (just a small grid like the last SimCity).
Also, the super demand mod is going to come in handy.

Shahadan

Just started this game, but is it possible to build a city from scratch without industrial? Don't you need it early on for jobs and income and such?

Industry is mandatory for jobs I think, but if you're worried about pollution you can specialize your industry into a forest or farm industry producing no pollution.

Later you can probably delete everything and use only offices though

jtb

Banned
This game is great to play while listening to audiobooks. Just finished burning through When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro in a two day span.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Mine did that too and I figured out it was because my Hospital coverage was piss-poor.

Yeah I just saw health dropped from a cliff for some reason. Added several clinics and hospitals, at least I am rolling in dough, but damn that came out of nowhere

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How do cities work without any industry sections work? Won't the demand for industrial zoning cause a lot of unhappiness? My industrial are is the bane of my existence because no matter what I try the traffic situation going into is insane and it's also just super ugly.

railGUN

Banned
Yeah I just saw health dropped from a cliff for some reason. Added several clinics and hospitals, at least I am rolling in dough, but damn that came out of nowhere

You don't have water towers on polluted soil do you? I made that mistake when I first started playing, and my entire town fell ill.

Meier

Do you have any incinerators? If you have enough capacity, garbage will empty from the landfills to incinerators rather than to just other landfills. I would think it'll work between regions as well.

One other question, though - does garbage ever get exported? Like, if you only have one landfill and try to empty it, will it get trucked off somewhere or no?

They'll redistribute it, and take it to incinerators if they're unlocked I believe. I'm not sure districts really have any effect on landfill use or redistribution, but I haven't really followed my trash trucks in detail to see how they move everything around. I'll keep an eye on it when I play later today.
Thanks guys. I don't have incinerators yet (around 7,500 population) but I imagine they may unlock at the next milestone. Looking forward to reaching it!

Actually, I'm looking online and it seems maybe they opened up at 7,000, so perhaps I just need to build one or two. Or maybe I'm only at 6,500 and just misremembering. :)

marrec

Banned

Well it kind of makes sense as your population "ages" its going to get sicker, especially since the initial Hospital you built (like me) doesn't have the capacity to see to everyone. I figure it's not a coverage issue but a capacity issue?

Either way I just plopped down a few more of them and it cleared up fairly quickly.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
You don't have water towers on polluted soil do you? I made that mistake when I first started playing, and my entire town fell ill.

Nope. I honestly have no idea where it came from. My water source is far from my sewage and its flowing downstream. Its weird, had a 40K city and bam that happened. Whatever, saved it :p

Well it kind of makes sense as your population "ages" its going to get sicker, especially since the initial Hospital you built (like me) doesn't have the capacity to see to everyone. I figure it's not a coverage issue but a capacity issue?

Either way I just plopped down a few more of them and it cleared up fairly quickly.

Yeah I figured it would be something like this. I plopped a few hospitals and clinics, some cemeteries and a crematory to handle the surge of dead people and rode it out. Perfect health now. Did destroy some buildings which were too close to a incinerator and industry; see if that stops any possible outbreak if that makes sense.

StayDead

I messed up. I decided it'd be a great idea to unlock everything right away and that led to me having -6k haha. The town I've built is really, really cool though so far.

Meier

I messed up. I decided it'd be a great idea to unlock everything right away and that led to me having -6k haha. The town I've built is really, really cool though so far.

I've been pretty careful and managed to not go into the red yet. Is there any repercussion other than not being able to build new structures (presumably)?

Trickster

Is there an optimal budget percentage you want to have your different city services at? my garbage service is at 135%, but wondering it would be smarter to just make more incinerators and then lowering the budget to 100%?

I've been pretty careful and managed to not go into the red yet. Is there any repercussion other than not being able to build new structures (presumably)?

No new infrastructure, correct. If you can't get back into the green it's basically game over, as your city will either go into stasis or start declining. However, with loans, only the most extreme cases of bankruptcy would be fatal to your mayorship.

PSA - Your industrial zones are not being abandoned because your workforce is overeducated.

tl;dr: Workers head to the closer, better educated jobs first. Give your industrial areas better access or put them closer to residential areas.

Not sure how true this is. What is the cause of overeducated workers then? Why is that highlighted in this game? Are they less happy/wanting office jobs instead?

And I made a whole zone dedicated closely to an industrial area... I think they still chose to drive across the city for office jobs despite that I had no school in sight. My thought is that they come in educated, but their children are the ones who will be affected by lack of education.

Do young adults move into low density residential when they become adults?

I'm curious about how the demographics age/behave.

I dont know how buggy the commercial/park problem is, but I guess that when it gets fixed, industrial demand will skyrocket wit commercial demand.

But are overeducated workers in industrial jobs happy? I would think they are not.

I basically want the game to encourage low educated populations so that it accurately reflects real life where not everyone is equally educated and has the same old office jobs.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So yeah, I pretty much played CSL this entire weekend. Learned a lot, made many mistakes, but managed to get my city up to 73,500 population, almost to monument unlock level. Unfortunately a generation of old timers started dying off right then so I dipped back down to 69K for now, hopefully it will pop back up soon.

Made a nice little farm & logging town nestled in a valley up north of my map, no education at all so all of the dumb people will hunt down those low wage jobs, lol!

Spent a good bit Saturday figuring out why my traffic was so horrible on my main avenue through the city. Came to realize that my logging trucks and farm tractors from up north were hauling their stuff all the way south to my cargo docks, all the way at the end of main street. So I built an extensive highway to bypass the outskirts of my city. I had to weave it a bit to avoid tearing down lots of stuff but I'm really happy with the end result. Worked huge wonders for my traffic problems!

Also built a solar panel farm with a mod I found on the workshop. They aren't quite as efficient as the default solar tower on a per dollar basis but they are close. I just like the look of a huge solar array on the hillside overlooking my city:

Yep, this game is all manners of fun addiction. I don't think I've enjoyed a new game like this since I first discovered Minecraft back in July 2010. I'm very proud that I'm still on my first city and really happy with how it's turning out so far, but man I can't wait to start on a different map and build a whole new city with the knowledge I have now.

So whats the chance we can mod our own laws into the game to make things like types of buildings growing in that zone. I mean for example, lets say someone does a pack mod for old downtown city houses for an european city, you can say only that pack of buildings appear in that zone.
That would come really handy for recreating real cities. The mismatch of euro/american buildings in the game is hurting the visual aspect of it.

Thanks for that. There are too many recolors in the wrkshope right now that looking for real buildings is a pain in the ass.

Stitch

Gold Member
I haven't OC'd yet, but my i5 4690 runs at 55C/130F after hours of play.

Yeah, I get the same temps now. 👍 I had Multicore Enhancement enabled in my BIOS so that's why the CPU got hot.

The mods for this game are fantastic. There's one for upsampling and downsamling:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406629464

and there's also one to get achievements back:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407055819&searchtext=achievement

Crispy75

Spent a good bit Saturday figuring out why my traffic was so horrible on my main avenue through the city. Came to realize that my logging trucks and farm tractors from up north were hauling their stuff all the way south to my cargo docks, all the way at the end of main street. So I built an extensive highway to bypass the outskirts of my city. I had to weave it a bit to avoid tearing down lots of stuff but I'm really happy with the end result. Worked huge wonders for my traffic problems!

Coulda done the same with a pair of cargo train stations and a railway line - much less land take :)

studyguy

Got the GTAV map, maybe it's not the right one but I started off on this terrible piece of land in the middle of a canyon with water being like 1/2 of the territory.

This is what I'm saying. Are people really ignoring industrial completely? I did that once, but commercial zones started shutting down due to no goods.

1B3C1D0A75885ECE45F8E74F8D63A542BFF7DD07

Playing a new city on hard mod with the mod that reduces income to families who cant make their trip to work (resulting in lost wages > no tax collection > eventual abandonment). Managed to do pretty well by using pedestrian walkways and free buses.

But I am running out of space. New tiles cost 100-200K, so I need to be super efficient to afford moving outwards.

Traffic is particularly bad. Everything here is two ways, any advice on improving traffic??

Any suggestions? I dont want to run into major problems because redesigning might put my net worth into the negative and kill my game.

I am thinking of adding a major roadway on the empty space to the left to connect to the highway, but I am not sure which roads to add or how to go about it.

bee

looking to get this off nuuvem, they've changed their setup since i last used it though, i sign in to my account normally, then activate hola (brazil) add the game to cart, switch to paypal payment, switch hola off then click the pay button and it removes the game from the cart and says not available in my region, people are putting their paypal passwords in whilst using a proxy or ??

Linius

So yeah, I pretty much played CSL this entire weekend. Learned a lot, made many mistakes, but managed to get my city up to 73,500 population, almost to monument unlock level. Unfortunately a generation of old timers started dying off right then so I dipped back down to 69K for now, hopefully it will pop back up soon.

Made a nice little farm & logging town nestled in a valley up north of my map, no education at all so all of the dumb people will hunt down those low wage jobs, lol!

Also built a solar panel farm with a mod I found on the workshop. They aren't quite as efficient as the default solar tower on a per dollar basis but they are close. I just like the look of a huge solar array on the hillside overlooking my city:

Yep, this game is all manners of fun addiction. I don't think I've enjoyed a new game like this since I first discovered Minecraft back in July 2010. I'm very proud that I'm still on my first city and really happy with how it's turning out so far, but man I can't wait to start on a different map and build a whole new city with the knowledge I have now.

This looks really nice man!

looking to get this off nuuvem, they've changed their setup since i last used it though, i sign in to my account normally, then activate hola (brazil) add the game to cart, switch to paypal payment, switch hola off then click the pay button and it removes the game from the cart and says not available in my region, people are putting their paypal passwords in whilst using a proxy or ??

I've done everything trough Hola. So paying was in Portugese. But it's really self explanatory.

Corgi

Banned
anyone find any use of normal civilian trains? Cargo trains are great... but i'm not really getting many tourists :(

Is there a mod that deletes cementaries? Accidentally had one facing a highway when I was rebuilding the roads, so there is no way to get hearses in and out of there.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So I went on a mod downloading spree and searched for functional mods to enhance the gameplay experience. In case anyone is interested, these are the ones I have currently installed:

Mod Achievement Enabler

Get achievements while using other mods.

Reddit for Chirpy
Every 5 minutes, chirpy will say the top message of /r/showerthoughts.

AutoLineColor
Public transit lines are automatically colored and given different shades, while still retaining similar color types for the same form of public transit.

City Statistics Easy Access
Adds a button to the task bar, allowing you to access the statistics without going through the menu.

Blockbuster Color Correction
Makes the colors pop more, I tried a variety of color correction mods, liked this the best, but subjective obviously.

Automatic Emptying
Automatically empties cemeteries and garbage dumps once they hit 100%.

HideUI
Press F11 to hide the UI (Screenshots!)

SimpleClock
Adds a simple clock to the task bar.

Ground Level Camera
Press tab to switch to first person mode.

Traffic Report Tool (Beta)
Click on any car/street/building to see pathways to/from that object.

Disable FilmGrainEffect
Disables said effect.

AutoSave - Configurable
Enables autosaves.

All 25 Areas purchaseable
Makes all 25 tiles purchaseable once you hit the last city milestone.

Tree Brush
Plant multiple trees at a time.

Automatic Bulldoze
Adds settings to automatically bulldoze burned or vacant buildings.

Extended Road Upgrade - One- and two-way roads!
Adds another road tool option that allows to switch between the road types, and even switch the direction of one way roads on the fly.

Text Scale Mod
Dynamically adjust the text scale you want to use.

Dynamic Resolution
Better anti-aliasing. Upscale/ downscale from any resolution.

Thanks for that. There are too many recolors in the wrkshope right now that looking for real buildings is a pain in the ass.

Oh god, the Steam workshop forums for Skylines are all over this one guy for essentially uploading the in-game assets with some modifications (it's not clear to me what's been modified but they don't look like drastic changes) and unfortunately Paradox/CO is saying it's not against the TOS or anything so there's no push to block any of it. Which would be fine if the Workshop stuff was easier to search, but all that guy's stuff comes up to the top of every search result and it really makes it hard to find custom buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom