• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am definitely not in it for the challenge. Mods and unlimited money and I just spend time building (and building, this land mass is huge) and solving problems like traffic and health and jobs.

Have put a dozen or so hours into it, it's a really nice experience.

Started letting my kids play and they have a town with 4 houses and 10 elementary schools. And lots of parks and roads to nowhere. But they're having fun.

Corgi

Banned
man im a fucking idiot :(

took me 4 hours to realize my parallel highway line were both going the same direction.

No wonder my traffic flow is ass. Now I will spend 30min when I get home to tear that shit up....

They REALLY need to improve on the 1 way roads... Give me a flip direction for 1way roads please... is there a mod for that?

Unai

Yep, tried it yesterday. It's incredible how fast people make mods and how many there are on steam workshop at the moment. This is the best city builder sim in over 10 years in my opinion. I'm completely hooked, and will stay hooked for a long time to come.

I highly suggest that you get DP's collection of buildings as they add a lot of variety to the game.

I'm considering putting together a massive collection with mods I've tested personally. It'd require plenty of disk-space, but would be very helpful for those that do not want to or feel that they have the time to browse through thousands of mods.

I would appreciate that! By the way, who is DP? Do you have a link?

They REALLY need to improve on the 1 way roads... Give me a flip direction for 1way roads please... is there a mod for that?

Yes.

I have a bus station and route setup but I have zero passengers using them. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Figured it out, I wasnt connecting the routes properly!

Corgi

Banned
I would appreciate that! By the way, who is DP? Do you have a link?

Yes.

holy shit! :D

btw: anyone else having issues with metro routing? Might have double clicked or something and I seem to forever have 'disconnected line' for a few stations yet the flow is going fine both direction.

Caayn

man im a fucking idiot :(

took me 4 hours to realize my parallel highway line were both going the same direction.

No wonder my traffic flow is ass. Now I will spend 30min when I get home to tear that shit up....

Happened to me as well, you'd guess that the game automatically bases the direction of the road based on the connected part(s) in those cases.

I really need a mod that allows me to upgrade an 1 way road to a 2 way road and the other way around.
Holy ... thanks :)

Is there a mod or solution for those "mini" zones (1-4 squares) that constantly appear around curved roads? Right now these things are the most annoying aspect of the game - because since I'm always using curved roads, they're everywhere, and they're always the first buildings to fail or go abandoned.

Garuda1One

Well.. my roadworks needs some improvement..

c5lJnyE.jpg

enhanced-14836-1414320930-8.jpg

Stitch

Gold Member
Playing this for a while gets my CPU pretty hot. Not dangerously hot but still hot.

People could use this game to test their overclocks 😀

It's pretty simple to go into your asset manager and throw together a quick 4x4 park with all tourism values set to 0. It's pretty fun too, certainly not a hassle to spend some time on and make several sizes, flavours, if you're of a mind to.

Once you have at least one 'fixed' park, open the save file and methodically replace each and every existing leisure ploppable with your customs.

Not a perfect solution of course, and the sooner CO get a hotfix out the better, but (for me, anyway) it's preferable to playing with the current weird parks.

Thanks - I forgot this was possible. I did it and it works fine until they fix the issue.

At work, so I cant post screenies, but holy shit, I love the map editor and water physics. I spent 4-5 hours making hilly map with some mounatins, 2 rivers, and some water falls. It took me forever getting the river banks and water production down, but now its glorious.

Trickster

Are there any good mods out with new building models? Doing as quick browse of the workshop, I keep seeing recoloured version of buildings I already get in my non modded game

Playing this for a while gets my CPU pretty hot. Not dangerously hot but still hot.

People could use this game to test their overclocks 😀

I haven't OC'd yet, but my i5 4690 runs at 55C/130F after hours of play. I need to get back to water cooling when I can afford it. For now, its just a big ass air cooler. I did up the speed on my case fans and got a 10*F drop.

For shits n giggles, I should max all my case fans and cpu cooler and see what temps I get. I just hate all the fan noise.

Corgi

Banned
so how do you make a Dam not flood your city? Doesn't seem to be any tools to fortify the sides and you can't terraform midgame

besada

Banned
Is there a mod or solution for those "mini" zones (1-4 squares) that constantly appear around curved roads? Right now these things are the most annoying aspect of the game - because since I'm always using curved roads, they're everywhere, and they're always the first buildings to fail or go abandoned.
Just don't zone them. If you don't zone them, no buildings appear, and none fail. Toss some trees in there instead.

omgkitty

Is anyone playing this game on a Macbook Pro? I thought about buying this last night, but looking at the recommended specs, and it says it does not support integrated Intel graphics, and mine uses the Intel Iris Pro. All the rest of my specs are above the target though :\

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
My city streets are a pure clusterfuck. Loops and ramps and max heightened highways to nowhere must leave my citizens confused. Perhaps our mayor doesn't have a plan for this city, they must tell each other. Oh, don't worry. Everything is going entirely to plan.

Really my traffic is terrible

martino

Traffic was a mess but it became better when i found out that other means of transport need you to create all line between then (metro, train) and line with all bus stop you want.

Meier

Make sure that you're connection the highway in same direction that the transit flows. I did that mistake once.
I guess maybe I needed to use a one way road from the end of it to connect it to street level or something? I dunno..ultimately I just ditched it and built a 6-lane heavy road or whatever it's called. Next time I will make sure to save before doing any major roadwork like that.

Good to see above that there is a transit indicator mod. I would love to see who is taking the bus. Not many area just yet..would be nice if it showed which bus lines were doing well (maybe I just haven't figured out how to tell that yet).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So friends

what's on your custom music playlist after you've muted Cities' ingame music?

ATM I'm running the OSTs for Simcity 3000, Sim City (2013), a few select tracks from The Sims and Tropico 3.

Considering adding Animal Crossing: New Leaf, but maybe not.

I was listening to some Nightwish albums while building a highway bypass to fix my downtown traffic woes yesterday. Somehow, Nightwish playing in the background makes chirping citizens just seem all that more urgent!

spiritfox

Are there any good mods out with new building models? Doing as quick browse of the workshop, I keep seeing recoloured version of buildings I already get in my non modded game

There are some, just hidden beneath all the recolors.

Just some of them:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197961632157/myworkshopfiles/
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978975775/myworkshopfiles/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheDoughnut/myworkshopfiles/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Drosovila/myworkshopfiles/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/unixroot/myworkshopfiles/

Jintor

add a pedestrian path instead

Meier

One small gripe I had was that I wish they were a little more explicit about recommending you build near water early on. Cost a pretty penny to run pipes and power lines all the way across the map to the first drainage pipes I built. Just a one time issue the first game you play but it still would have been nice to know -- you could get away without having treatment facilities for some time in Sim City.

Raven77

Can anyone explain the option for zone a certain area? How you can make an area "logging" or "mining"? It seems like this would take up a lot of real estate early on in the game. I've only unlocked the ability to buy 2 other zones in my area so i'm not that far along.

Also, why am I not able to upgrade the bi-directional 2 lane road up to a 4 lane road? If I demolish that road and put in a 4 lane road it will destroy all the houses and business that run along side it. Will I lose progress doing that? I assume my population would drop?

It almost seems like you need to use the higher capacity roads right off the bat but it's expensive.

Secondly, is it me or do Fire Stations barely cover any territory? I feel like in my relatively tiny town I need 5-6 fire stations just to cover most of the roads.

Thirdly, What are you people doing for Trash? I can't use any of the advanced trash handling buildings yet and the Landfill also has a distance marker, which means I have to trash up another part of my town by putting in a second landfill NOT right next to the original one.

Fourth and last comment. I've gotten to 5k population but it seems to refuse to grow. I have no "desired zones", my education levels are fine, low crime. The only thing I can tell is that traffic getting INTO my zone from the main highway is backed up really bad. In order to take care of that I have to do the road re-do that I mentioned at the top of this post.

Fox318

Going from small to large really requires some planning ahead of time.

Next city I make I need to plan things out better with highways.

Just don't zone them. If you don't zone them, no buildings appear, and none fail. Toss some trees in there instead.

Yeah, it's what I've been doing, but then I feel like I'm wasting room and should probably be avoiding curved roads altogether. Sometimes I feel like I have too much OCD for games like this....

Can anyone explain the option for zone a certain area? How you can make an area "logging" or "mining"? It seems like this would take up a lot of real estate early on in the game. I've only unlocked the ability to buy 2 other zones in my area so i'm not that far along.
Once you've unlocked the district tool (to the right of the zoning tool), you paint a district on an area of industry and then it has a list at the bottom of the different types of industry. You click the one you want, such as logging, then click the district and every bit of industry within it will convert to logging. Use the natural resources tool though, if you want an ore or oil industry for example it should be built over ore and oil deposits. They will also deplete relatively quickly and you'll have to convert them back to traditional industry once the resources are gone. Logging and farming are sustainable as new trees are planted, so you can keep them as specialized industries indefinitely.

Also, why am I not able to upgrade the bi-directional 2 lane road up to a 4 lane road? If I demolish that road and put in a 4 lane road it will destroy all the houses and business that run along side it. Will I lose progress doing that? I assume my population would drop?

Upgrading a small road to a big road will destroy buildings regardless as it will de-zone the squares closest to the road when it widens. This is possible, but it won't let you if there's a service building on the road such as a school/fire station/hospital etc. So move that out of the way first. It also won't let you convert a one-way to a 2-way and vice versa (though you can with a mod). Don't worry too much about destroying a handful of buildings alongside a road, you'll be doing it a lot and it isn't really an issue.

Secondly, is it me or do Fire Stations barely cover any territory? I feel like in my relatively tiny town I need 5-6 fire stations just to cover most of the roads.

Yes, but you'll unlock the bigger fire house later and it covers a bigger area with more fire trucks. You can also set the "Smoke detector" policy which will cut down on fires.

Thirdly, What are you people doing for Trash? I can't use any of the advanced trash handling buildings yet and the Landfill also has a distance marker, which means I have to trash up another part of my town by putting in a second landfill NOT right next to the original one.

Yeah you'll have to spread them around rather than put them all in once place when your city gets really big (or at least I have anyway). But you can put multiple alongside each other without any issues. And make sure you're emptying and then turning them back on regularly. As long as they're not too close to residential, you don't have to be too picky about placement. I've seen people build massive roads into the middle of nowhere for landfills and I haven't found that to be necessary. Near industry seems to be fine.

Fourth and last comment. I've gotten to 5k population but it seems to refuse to grow. I have no "desired zones", my education levels are fine, low crime. The only thing I can tell is that traffic getting INTO my zone from the main highway is backed up really bad. In order to take care of that I have to do the road re-do that I mentioned at the top of this post.

Fix your traffic. People have to get to work quickly. Industry and commercial have to have good access to each other and the highways to import/export goods. A fast and flowing highway connection is important.

jtb

Banned
Is anyone playing this game on a Macbook Pro? I thought about buying this last night, but looking at the recommended specs, and it says it does not support integrated Intel graphics, and mine uses the Intel Iris Pro. All the rest of my specs are above the target though :\

I've played some on a 2012 MBA over the wekend, runs pretty well (up to 100k pop) with everything turned down low and, most importantly, turning off tilt shift. It's definitley not buttery smooth but it's not unplayable either—20-30 fps range I'd imagine. I'd imagine you could do better with a Pro, especially with an Iris.

Crispy75

Also, why am I not able to upgrade the bi-directional 2 lane road up to a 4 lane road? If I demolish that road and put in a 4 lane road it will destroy all the houses and business that run along side it.

A neat way to avoid this is to place a parallel pedestrian path along either side of the 2 lane road. This preserves empty space for a future 4/6 lane road. It also tidies up the zoning along the side streets.

t-ramp

It almost seems like you need to use the higher capacity roads right off the bat but it's expensive.

You can create a district over an area with a particular natural resource, and then specify the respective industry type for that region. Then, when you zone industrial there, you'll get buildings specific to that industry, like timber mills or farms.

I think that's just the way it is, unfortunately.

Fire Station coverage shouldn't be that bad, as long as your road design is okay. Seems like they can usually make it to burning buildings on time even if it doesn't look like there's perfect coverage.

You can put landfills right next to each other. The ring indicator shows the pollution area. Usually garbage trucks have quite a good coverage area as well, so I just stick mine by the industrial area to begin with, and then add more landfills/incinerators as I progress, either in the same area or shoved off on side roads if it's by a residential area.

Yes, but you'll unlock the bigger fire house later and it covers a bigger area with more fire trucks. You can also set the "Smoke detector" policy which will cut down on fires.
That policy is pretty expensive. Is it actually worth it? I had it turned on for a little bit, but it took me from something like $6000 weekly profit down to barely breaking even. I guess maybe I could have turned off a fire station or something to compensate...

omgkitty

I've played some on a 2012 MBA over the wekend, runs pretty well (up to 100k pop) with everything turned down low and, most importantly, turning off tilt shift. It's definitley not buttery smooth but it's not unplayable either—20-30 fps range I'd imagine. I'd imagine you could do better with a Pro, especially with an Iris.

Thanks jtb!

Raven77

Thanks for the great answers to all of my questions. This game is so damn addictive! I also like the idea of the pedestrian path next to 2 lane roads to make way for a possible expansion to 4 lanes, sounds like a clever solution to have to keep from knocking things down which I just have to get used to having to do. I also use the smoke detector policy and I am wondering if that is keeping my profits down. right now i'm at around 5k pop and am making about $1800 / day (is that number in the bottom day or week?).

That policy is pretty expensive. Is it actually worth it? I had it turned on for a little bit, but it took me from something like $6000 weekly profit down to barely breaking even. I guess maybe I could have turned off a fire station or something to compensate...

I think it's better used as policy for a distinct district that may have poor fire coverage, and not city-wide.

Maybe not in the early game, but I have $3million in the bank and a decent income so I guess it doesn't bother me. I'd say it's a luxury rather than a necessity, if you feel like you can afford it it's worth doing, otherwise just focus on decent station coverage. If there's an area that's particularly bothersome (I had an industry that was constantly getting fires and industry trucks were slowing the roads down for firetrucks.), just make it a policy for that district only.

Staab

I spent like 4 straight hours playing this yesterday after realizing additional terrain tiles actually only cost a couple of thousands and not over a million like I thought I read initially...

So yeah, I have a ultra-dense town in 1 and a half tiles with close to 70 k pop and now I bought like 3 additional tiles and started plumping down pipes, railway tracks, stations and highway ramps first.
Also just got an airport, so YAY !
Can't wait to design some crazy neighbourhoods near the beaches tonight !

Meier

Yeah you'll have to spread them around rather than put them all in once place when your city gets really big (or at least I have anyway). But you can put multiple alongside each other without any issues. And make sure you're emptying and then turning them back on regularly.

I've done this when I build new ones to "share the wealth" -- but does this actually get rid of trash? It just redistributes it, right? I haven't bought any new land yet, but will trash move from one area to another or is it distinct to the original zone it's from? I have my industry, power, trash, etc. segregated in a corner away from residential but having it in another zone (or at least power and trash) would be preferable.

t-ramp

I think it's better used as policy for a distinct district that may have poor fire coverage, and not city-wide.
Maybe not in the early game, but I have $3million in the bank and a decent income so I guess it doesn't bother me. I'd say it's a luxury rather than a necessity, if you feel like you can afford it it's worth doing, otherwise just focus on decent station coverage. If there's an area that's particularly bothersome (I had an industry that was constantly getting fires and industry trucks were slowing the roads down for firetrucks.), just make it a policy for that district only.
Oh, yeah, good point. I haven't really used district policy yet, but I can see how turning on the policy for just the high-risk areas would be more beneficial.

I've done this when I build new ones to "share the wealth" -- but does this actually get rid of trash? It just redistributes it, right? I haven't bought any new land yet, but will trash move from one area to another or is it distinct to the original zone it's from? I have my industry, power, trash, etc. segregated in a corner away from residential but having it in another zone (or at least power and trash) would be preferable.
Do you have any incinerators? If you have enough capacity, garbage will empty from the landfills to incinerators rather than to just other landfills. I would think it'll work between regions as well.

One other question, though - does garbage ever get exported? Like, if you only have one landfill and try to empty it, will it get trucked off somewhere or no?

They'll redistribute it, and take it to incinerators if they're unlocked I believe. I'm not sure districts really have any effect on landfill use or redistribution, but I haven't really followed my trash trucks in detail to see how they move everything around. I'll keep an eye on it when I play later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom