• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City of Cleveland Files $500 Claim Against Tamir Rice Estate For Ambulance Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This is NOT an Onion Article

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cleveland-wants-tamir-rice-estate-pay-500-ambulance-bill-n516281

The city of Cleveland filed a claim against the estate of Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old fatally shot by police in 2014, seeking $500 in reimbursement for the ambulance ride.

Assistant Law Director Carl Meyer filed the creditor's claim in Cuyahoga County Probate Court on Wednesday, NBC affiliate WKYC reported.

Tamir was shot in the torso by Cleveland police officer Timothy Loehmann on Nov. 22, 2014, after responding to a report of a "male with a gun" on the swings at a city park.

It turned out the boy had a pellet gun. Tamir died at the hospital the next morning.

"The Rice family is disturbed by the city's behavior," Rice family attorney Subodh Chandra said in a statement to WKYC.

"The callousness, insensitivity, and poor judgment required for the city to send a bill — its own police officers having slain 12-year-old Tamir — is breathtaking," Chandra said in the statement. "This adds insult to homicide. The Rice family considers this a form of harassment."

A grand jury declined to indict Loehmann and his partner, Frank Garmback, in December.

The claim says the $500 "is past due and owing for emergency medical services rendered as the decedent's last dying expense."

Cleveland EMS billed $450 for ambulance advance life support and $50 for mileage, according to the invoice.

Tamir's mother has filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Cleveland, Loehmann and the officers involved in the call that ended in the boy's death. The case is pending

Raxus

Between this and the trauma lawsuit makes me really want to go up to the officers and spit in their face.

I'm so sorry for his family. All I can hope is that these people recognize how..wrong this is, and that others recognize THIS WAS A CHILD. Not 17, so "almost a man." Not 19, so "a grown man." I just don't even know what else to say..

malts

This is a pretty bad look. The city's PR folks should have shut this down, can't believe this slipped through the cracks.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Every life matters so its only fair they pay like anyone else would have to pay when they are murdered by the police.

The rules are the rules guys! 🤷 ¯_(ツ)_/¯

benjipwns

Banned
Everyone calm down, if you look at the claim you can see that they gave the estate a credit of $327.10 towards the total charges. That's almost half!

Was it an automated thing orrr? Because if not that's super fucked up.

I remember here, some guy died and a phone company sent his remaining account bill of like 5 cents to his family. But that was an automated issue.

Family must feel like shit recieving that.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Surely this was a mistake and someone was too stupid to look at the name and realize who they were about to file a claim against.

...surely....

I think it's absolutely disgusting that it happened, but I can easily see this sort of thing happening. Someone dropped the ball. I honestly don't think it was intentionally malicious.

Strike

QAI9YPJ.gif

Never ceases to amaze me how low people can sink. Every time you think "that's gotta be it" there's always a next level. Killing that child and then charging the parents for it...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Was it an automated thing orrr? Because if not that's super fucked up.

I remember here, some guy died and a phone company sent his remaining account bill of like 5 cents to his family. But that was an automated issue.

Family must feel like shit recieving that.

The story says it was a claim in probate court. It's more than just a bill. That can't be done automatically, can it?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The story says it was a claim in probate court. It's more than just a bill. That can't be done automatically, can it?

More or less. Usually farmed out to an agency. Oblivious.

And yes, Europe, a US ambulance ride costs in the region of a grand. Regardless of distance or efficacy.

The day after this bullshit happens, we get this news.

CPD officer Robert Rialmo has filed a $10 million lawsuit against the estate of Quintonio LeGrier. Rialmo was one of the officers who responded to a call from LeGrier’s father to to assist his son, who was having a mental health crisis. The CPD ended up killing LeGrier and also accidentally shooting neighbor Bettie Jones.

Rialmo’s counterclaim charges Quintonio LeGrier with threatening his life, by swinging a baseball bat at him, and also causing him trauma. The lawsuit also blames LeGrier for causing his own death and for the death of Jones.
“The fact that LeGrier’s actions had forced Officer Rialmo to end LeGrier’s life, and to accidentally take the innocent life of Bettie Jones, has caused, and will continue to cause, Officer Rialmo to suffer extreme emotional trauma,” the lawsuit says.

Happy Black History Month.

old

$500 against the estate of a dead kid. As a minor, wouldn't the parents be able to avoid the cost due to lack of consent?

for the people saying this was an error or mistake or slipped thru, you're wrong.this is a typical retaliatory legal move.

they'll dig up anything they can to try and recoup money after a lawsuit against them is put into play, circumstances be damned.

this was 100% deliberate, 100% planned and 100% thought thru, make no mistakes about it, this is their true intent and not a mistake.

benjipwns

Banned
Yeah, and I'm going to assume it was probably filed in a huge stack of claims that got stamped with nobody even reading them since they were uncontested overdue fines.

for the people saying this was an error or mistake or slipped thru, you're wrong.this is a typical retaliatory legal move.

they'll dig up anything they can to try and recoup money after a lawsuit against them is put into play, circumstances be damned.

this was 100% deliberate, 100% planned and 100% thought thru, make no mistakes about it, this is their true intent and not a mistake.
Hanlon's razor.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I'll use Occam's razor till I hear different. This is tragically common.

MIMIC

Banned
Oh my fucking God. I'm from Cleveland and for the first time, I'm actually ashamed of my own city. Callousness and insensitivity is the perfect way -- and ONLY way -- to describe this.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Some people just deserve to be beaten to within an inch of their life. The person that decided to do this is one of them.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

And yes, Europe, a US ambulance ride costs in the region of a grand. Regardless of distance or efficacy.

And EMTs still make barely over minimum wage. wetoldthemitwouldtrickledownlol.gif

Oh ok, that's interesting. Ambulances are free where I live (everyone in the state pays a small amount on our electricity bill to fund them) so I don't know how they work in the US.

Cheers

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well kinda glad Cleveland sports are so bad that they continuously fail to get a title. But really who thought this was a good idea!?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom