• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City of Cleveland Files $500 Claim Against Tamir Rice Estate For Ambulance Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

After deciding black lives being valued at nothing, they still say that is too much and start charging folks for dying while black.

Jag

Oh my fucking God. I'm from Cleveland and for the first time, I'm actually ashamed of my own city. Callousness and insensitivity is the perfect way -- and ONLY way -- to describe this.

The first time? The first time, at least, should have been when they shot that poor, innocent kid. The second time when they didn't indict.

As for a retaliatory legal move, I don't see how this helps their Federal Case and it will be brought up as harassment and retaliation and doesn't help the cities case at all.

blAAAm

Banned
as someone who was born and raised in the Cleveland area this is horrible. The whole way this case has been treated is beyond fucked up.

Amory

"don't attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance" or whatever.

seems like a mistake. just some clerk doing their job.

thewire-dukie-react-1mjui4.gif

Sounds like it's just a computer system at work. People aren't even involved in these steps. Should someone have caught this before it went out? Yes. Is it unexpected? No. There should have also been a paper bill that arrived long before this went to court.

Oh my gosh Cleveland, leave this poor family alone! They don't need to go through this, when they have already been through so much. I hope this backfires on those who made this claim in the first place because this is just wrong.

Oh my gosh Cleveland, leave this poor family alone! They don't need to go through this, when they have already been through so much. I hope this backfires on those who made this claim in the first place because this is just wrong.

I hope so too and I hope we see an update where something positive happens beyond that. I'm not holding my breath though.

Keri

...they charge for ambulance rides? Moreover, they charge the family for the ride if the victim dies?

The actual fuck?

Yeah, you have to pay for ambulance rides, although they don't charge the family. The bill is sent to estate of the individual who used the ambulance. After my father died, we got a $1000 bill for the ambulance that rushed him to the hospital. It sucks for everyone who lost someone, to get that bill.

turtle553

It certainly looks bad, but if the city waived the fee it would be seen as an admission of wrong doing and probably factor into the civil suit.

Jag

Claim withdrawn. Cleveland is "sorry" ...
(this got so much media attention)

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cleveland-apologizes-for-500-ambulance-bill-sent-to-tamir-rices-family/

CLEVELAND - The Mayor of Cleveland has apologized to the family of Tamir Rice, saying he is sorry for any pain caused by a $500 claim for emergency services sent to the boy's estate.

Mayor Frank Jackson and other city officials apologized to the family Thursday and told the media that the filing was made to Rice's medical insurance company as part of a routine procedure, but the bill was not intended to be sent to the Rice family.

LQX

It's like they are purposely rubbing it in as they know thing else can come of this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom