• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Violet_0

Banned
Ok, so Im playing as Greece on Prince difficulty.

There is a military City-State near my cities that I am Suzerain of (Preslav).

It is not at war with anybody but it has 12 Catapult units just wandering around.

Should I be nervous?

It this some AI bug?

As far as I remember from Civ V, city-states dont start wars with you. Am I right?

Either way, its kinda funny seeing my map filled with Catapults just wandering.

nah, I had the same thing in my game (also Preslav). The city state focuses on military units after all. As long as you are Suzerain, they can't be used against you, and you can actually borrow them for gold if you need them

it's a bit stupid though because the later turns take forever

Najaf

Holy shit, barbarians make the first 60 turns of a game just drag.... on and on. Turn 34 and surrounded by two horsemen, a sling, a warrior and an archer. What the hell.

Do they intend for you to spend more than half of the first 30 turns on military production? I wanted to leave them on, I really did, but barbs just seem to make things grindy. Back to switching them off ala Civ V.

Angry Fork

Is there any way to turn off the weird map background thing? It feels fake. I want it to look like I'm exploring an actual world/ocean like civ 5 rather than on some map.

Has anyone tried the multiplayer on this yet? I will admit I haven't gone out of my way to read reviews, so I haven't seen any impressions. A friend of mine had said they were making games faster for MP in this version.

Strider

.eJwNyMENwyAMAMBdGABDDC5kjQ5QIYNCpQYQOK-quzf3vK-65kftqoqMtQNwbjq_F_eZ0xia-wlJJHE9S5MF1pN7UIxIAW3E4Ak2jDYa7wg3JIPurifPUtqqXV7WBD3aoX5_9uAgHQ.AWHpeshVJS46qRtpkY8UMLRaA00

Over 150 turns in and he settles right there

nah, I had the same thing in my game (also Preslav). The city state focuses on military units after all. As long as you are Suzerain, they can't be used against you, and you can actually borrow them for gold if you need them

it's a bit stupid though because the later turns take forever

I noticed! I am on Turn 215 and things are sooo slow now.

This game far more than V makes you pay dearly for not plotting everything you need to do.

To get the victory type you want, you need to set your cities on specific terrain and save room for things in the future cause if you use it all new things become available and you are screwed (on that note can you build over stuff like demolish a district to put another?).

I dont know if thats good. It makes the game too much of a chore. You have to have this incredibly detailed knowledge of the game and all its nuances to win. I know thats the point with these kinds of games but I feel like maybe they overdid. Then again I never have been that great at these kinds of games. I like them but find them too complex and end up frustrated.

Finally, these are only early impressions. Maybe in time I will learn things well enough and it will be better. Time will tell.

Clauss

I've never been much of a CIV guy but this is pretty neat so far! I can definitely see this game grabbing me by the eyeballs

Has anyone else run into a glitch where a number of map interactions stop functioning? All of a sudden, I can't right click to move my units. I can't hit escape to bring up the option menu. I can't even left click on a unit or city to bring its info up (although I can hit the "next unit" button to center on a unit). I tried reloading, no luck. I also reloaded an earlier save and tried rolling a new game. No difference. Have I accidentally triggered some strange settings?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do I rotate the camera angle so I can look at the map from a more top down perspective? (not the strategy view)

JCH!

I don't get the complaints about the UI scaling. I've already sunk +10h into this at 1440p and everything looks fine. I guess if you're playing on the couch it would look a bit small but I don't think there are any 1440p TVs...

Anno

There's something fun about building out a worldwide trading network by establishing trading posts around the map. Yet another small improvement that adds on some depth.

Strider

I don't get the complaints about the UI scaling. I've already sunk +10h into this at 1440p and everything looks fine. I guess if you're playing on the couch it would look a bit small but I don't think there are any 1440p TVs...

1440p at a PC is playable but it def is a little too small.

But there's folks out there playing on TVs and even on 4k TVs. I Imagine it is definitely unplayable for them. Probably can't read a thing.

People bought the bundle with the steam controller bundke for that very reason so kinda sucks for them.

Has anyone tried the multiplayer on this yet? I will admit I haven't gone out of my way to read reviews, so I haven't seen any impressions. A friend of mine had said they were making games faster for MP in this version.

the standard game with 'online' speed seems similar in pacing to civ5 MP (i.e. a really slow, awful experience, and complete crap in combat because the game length forces you into simultaneous turns)

the early game seems faster (more reasonable production/research times), but late-game will take longer because there's way more stuff to manage

and the game is more complex though, so people will take longer thinking about turns

i think there's mod support for random non-standard scenarios which might make MP faster, but it would have to be different from a normal game setup

Holy shit, barbarians make the first 60 turns of a game just drag.... on and on. Turn 34 and surrounded by two horsemen, a sling, a warrior and an archer. What the hell.

Do they intend for you to spend more than half of the first 30 turns on military production? I wanted to leave them on, I really did, but barbs just seem to make things grindy. Back to switching them off ala Civ V.

You need to scout around and take them out. Once they scout your cities, they start building troops. So kill the scouts and scout around.

You can see barbarian camps that pop up on your map. Even if they popped up after you scouted an area.

Basically, you have to make units at the start instead of just relying on your starting unit.

jman2050

Ah ok thanks. So that only works for trade routes between your own cities? Because I have a trade route complete with roads to a city state but still no trading post.

The trading post completes in the destination city, though I'm not sure if it affects foreign destinations too.

epmode

I don't get the complaints about the UI scaling. I've already sunk +10h into this at 1440p and everything looks fine.
Compare it to Civ 5. Every single UI element is noticeably smaller.

Yes, it's readable but I now have to lean in a bit and hunt around for stuff that should be easier to see.

Generally speaking, the relative size of UI elements shouldn't shrink as resolution increases. I can understand why it might happen with small budgets but Civ 6 is easily one of the biggest PC releases of the year. Firaxis can afford to put some time into proper UI scaling, especially when the previous game had it.

BE was an abomination to the CiV name. Civ vi stomps civ be.

I wouldn't go that far.

My wife and I were replaying it during the lead-up to 6. It's an adequate fusion of Alpha Centauri and Civ 5 and a good game overall. If it had sold better, we would have seen another expansion or two and people would remember it more fondly.

Messing around with the Codex mod was fun.

KaYotiX

Banned
Wow....7 hours played already. WTF!!

Where did my time go? Wish i had a laptop to play this, my job takes me out of town and id love to play this away from home.

4K tv here. I wanted to run Civ at 1440 for better FPS. But because UI scaling isn't available at 1440, it's actually smaller there than it is at 4K.

Baffling.

DEO3

I pre-ordered the game (purchased from Green Man Gaming) but I don't seem to have the Aztecs in my game. What do I need to do to activate them?

edit: figured it out, I was emailed a separate key to use to unlock the Aztec DLC

Hopfrog

Thinking about picking this up, big Civ fan. But curious about which version, standard or deluxe. Has deluxe been worth it in the past for Civ, with the leaders, etc.?

Stuck on one longass continent with just Brazil, they keep bullying the city states on their half... fuckers. Gonna teach those assholes a lesson.

CtD after 250 turns-ish. Luckily saves are set for every turn. Guess I was playing 6 hours non-stop. Not great for it to crash. And with newest drivers.

Blizzard

Banned
CtD after 250 turns-ish. Luckily saves are set for every turn. Guess I was playing 6 hours non-stop. Not great for it to crash. And with newest drivers.
I had no crashes or serious bugs (besides one audio bug) in 7 hours, tutorial plus 250 turns of game, so I'm hoping my luck holds.

Fliesen

Started a new game. Feeling good.

"I wonder where Arabia is sending all those soldiers?"

CvWJPmfXgAAl-Wa.jpg

"Oh."

what does the circle of red triangles (to the right of the city) mean btw?
and why can't my catapult / crossbowmen sometimes not shoot at a city from 2 tiles away, even if there's no woods / hills in between?

i came home from work at 5:30 pm yesterday, clicked "play now", went to bed at 1 am ...

what does the circle of red triangles (to the right of the city) mean btw?
and why can't my catapult / crossbowmen sometimes not shoot at a city from 2 tiles away, even if there's no woods / hills in between?

i came home from work at 5:30 pm yesterday, clicked "play now", went to bed at 1 am ...

I forget the in-game term, but it's an enemy's area of influence. If you move into areas marked like that, you can't move out, even if you have movement points left.

Emarv

I forget the in-game term, but it's an enemy's area of influence. If you move into areas marked like that, you can't move out, even if you have movement points left.

Yeah. Think it's referred to as "Zone of Control" in the game. Doesn't work across rivers, though. Little tip i learned early on.

Top Bottom