• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

So how do you promote units? Last night I got an icon that both my warrior and slinger were able to be promoted, but clicking on the icon just centered on the unit and there were no available options to choose from like in Civ V. Only played for a bit cause I had to go to bed for work, didn't bother with it at the time.

Anno

I don't have the game yet but can anyone tell me if enemies can raid your land for health like Civ 5?

Yes, but it's much more restricted when. Different improvements have different yields when pillaged. So if you pillage a mine you might get production. I think if you pillage a farm you do get healed a bit, maybe some other things.

CloudWolf

Do they ever not? Or am I the only one who loves all their games even pre-DLC?

Beyond Earth was kinda terrible IMO and Xcom 2 had some huge performance issues at launch that pretty much made the game unplayable for a lot of people. So I was pretty sceptical, but glad to see that it turned out well..

Think I've found the GOAT, Montezuma. Those Eagle Warriors are far better than generic warrior and if some dumbass(Brazil) attacks you can get a lot of free builders.

So how do you promote units? Last night I got an icon that both my warrior and slinger were able to be promoted, but clicking on the icon just centered on the unit and there were no available options to choose from like in Civ V. Only played for a bit cause I had to go to bed for work, didn't bother with it at the time.
One of the icon in the unit's action bar (where attack, move and sleep and the like are) should be the one for promotion.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm sad there's no commerce victory, seems weird that it's the odd one out. Every other civ focus has a win condition.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It just seems so lazy when they go at length to put all the good things in, yet didn't check them over

Here's this garbage comment again.

Everything you've mentioned has most likely been noticed and reviewed (probably multiple times!) by the development team. But they were prioritized lower than other items that the devs felt had to be addressed instead given whatever time they had left on the schedule and the people available to work on things. Even stuff that seems easy to fix like minor typos, there's a point in development where you don't touch anything unless it's a showstopping issue. You get to the point where everything has to be frozen because changes and fixes risk breaking other stuff or introducing new issues, and once you get close to RTM you put the kabosh on everything. Hence the "showstopper only" philosophy.

So if you want to criticize their prioritization choices down the line, that would be fine. But to just blame it on "lazy devs" or "incompetent QA" is complete bullshit.

red731

My tutorial just bugged out.

Gilgamesh was mad about my army which has no ulterior motives, advisor popped so I've clicked it and now I'm stuck.

FZMdnAH.jpg

Unselectable goodbye and hello altf4

Firebrand

I think you get the promotion popup as soon as they level, but you can't actually promote them until next turn.

Tutorial worth doing if you've played 4 and 5? I started a King game but gonna restart as I got tripped up by some changes and my first war led to a small catastrophe, lol.

megalowho

Only dipped my toe in but already a fan of the tweaks to early diplomacy. The leaders have distinct personality and there's actual flavor text. Voice work in different languages is a big plus. It's not CK2 but it's a noticeable improvement.

Firebrand

Only dipped my toe in but already a fan of the tweaks to early diplomacy. The leaders have distinct personality and there's actual flavor text. It's not CK2 but it's a noticeable improvement.

I haven't seen too much of the diplomacy yet, but what I still miss is the ability to tell them what's bothering me, not just general denounces. The same way they come complaining to me about this and that.

Fliesen

i like the fact that when you have your city working on 'research' or 'trade' or 'culture' they ALWAYS produce gold, and it's not a continuous production, but a project with an end state - so you won't have to check your cities over and over again for whether or not they could actually be building ... an observatory, when they're just idle generating "trade"

Dinosur

I looked through them all and there was no option.. :/ Could be a glitch or something? I'll have to look again when I'm home. Thank you!

Don't you also have to be inside your own territory? I'm just in here reading about VI, but I'm 99% sure that's how promotions in V worked.

Ferrio

Banned

Gilgamesh was mad about my army which has no ulterior motives, advisor popped so I've clicked it and now I'm stuck.

My tutorial bugged out in several places. Eventually one point I wasn't able to progress since I couldn't combine my settler+warrior because they were too far apart, but I couldn't next turn to bring them closer together. I decided to suck it up and just take the crash course in a real game.

Firebrand

Don't you also have to be inside your own territory? I'm just in here reading about VI, but I'm 99% sure that's how promotions in V worked.

IIRC yes but the button will still show. edit: oh, yeah, not for promotions.

My tutorial bugged out in several places, eventually one point I wasn't able to progress. I decided to suck it up and just take the crash course in a real game.

Taking a page from Paradox tutorials. Kappa

SumGamer

I got stuck in a tutorial popup as well. This is well into 60 turns, I think, when tutorial popup display and I click something at the same time. All UI stop working. ESC then quit the game :(

Anno

You can promote anywhere. You only need to be in your lands to upgrade a unit to the next era of unit.

megalowho

You have to promote at the start of their turn. If you move a unit in line for a promotion, the icon goes away even if the notification is still there. It's a little weird, confused me at first too.

Dinosur

You can promote anywhere. You only need to be in your lands to upgrade a unit to the next era of unit.

Oh duh, my bad. I got the two terms mixed up.

Sounds like I'll be waiting for the UI scaling to get patched before I jump in. PC is hooked up to my tv in the living room and sounds like that won't fly.

M.D

What do you get with the deluxe edition? Is it promised to have all future DLC (except expansions obviously)

Edit: NVM, only 4 DLC packs post launch when there's probably going to be a ton more

ajf009

Any info on when the mac release is due? Been looking but can't find anything other than "it will come out eventually"

red731

My tutorial bugged out in several places. Eventually one point I wasn't able to progress since I couldn't combine my settler+warrior because they were too far apart, but I couldn't next turn to bring them closer together. I decided to suck it up and just take the crash course in a real game.

I got stuck in a tutorial popup as well. This is well into 60 turns, I think, when tutorial popup display and I click something at the same time. All UI stop working. ESC then quit the game :(

Yup. Crash coursing with Teddy now.

I have problems moving my units too sometimes in the tutorial - I may not understand something but they were 2/2 or 3/3 full on movement. And wouldn't move.

Ah, I wanted to google Torres del Paine.
Dear god I want there.

Hayvic

Just got this so apologies if this has been discussed. Is there any way to make the map scroll when your mouse is above the UI elements? It's bugging me. Don't recall it being that way in the previous games, or am I crazy?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Civ is literally the only game that can make me dig out my PC and boot up Windows. Can't wait to get stuck in.

SumGamer

FilthyRobot is putting together some new player videos on his channel that are very good. He's a top tier kind of player but also voices his decision making really well. There are only three up for now but they cover a lot of the core game play decisions.

Barbarians and combat - https://youtu.be/dj5tWp_bdGw
Early game decisions and strategy - https://youtu.be/rqcMxlYEuRI
City management and growth - https://youtu.be/33CWv7A6Zng

Sorry for shitty mobile links, still trying to at least appear like I'm working today.

Watching FilthyRobot's video is really good recap for new player like me. His City Management and growth is really clear. Probably should be in the OP.

Volodja

After getting to a Cultural victory in a standard speed game, never again.

I guess I'll only go quick from now on, I'll have to test what speed is the best.

There is some neat stuff late game with the spies, if they are discovered you have to choose an escape route, and the safer ones means it will take him longer to escape.

If they fail they are either caught or killed, and if they are caught you can trade for them

So back in Civ5, I know that hitting F2/F3 brings up the city/unit list, which is very useful for me when I want to address specific cities/units without having to trawl the whole map for them. Is there an equivalent in Civ6?

Do they ever not? Or am I the only one who loves all their games even pre-DLC?

Anyways on topic. If I wanna build a natural splendor of a society is that viable? Which win path is best? Basically want my entire civ to just be this gorgeous natural utopia. Druid style.
Unfortunately, Beyond Earth was the first Firaxis game that gave me some pause as to their future output, and Starships was a real WTF moment :(

FilthyRobot is putting together some new player videos on his channel that are very good. He's a top tier kind of player but also voices his decision making really well. There are only three up for now but they cover a lot of the core game play decisions.

Sorry for shitty mobile links, still trying to at least appear like I'm working today.
Thx, will watch later.

Blizzard

Banned
So back in Civ5, I know that hitting F2/F3 brings up the city/unit list, which is very useful for me when I want to address specific cities/units without having to trawl the whole map for them. Is there an equivalent in Civ6?
You can click the name of a unit after selecting them (like "Slinger") and it will bring up a list. There is a city list in "View Reports" at the top.

Just check and my laptop can't run this:(

I've been jonesing for a civ game since I played revolution on the PS3, I hope this gets ported to the PS4.

lionpants

I never really got into the previous Civs but people are freaking out about this at work.

If I didn't really dig Civ 5 will I enjoy myself more here? I do like how the cities can split into districts.

Great videos, thanks for the post.

Top Bottom