• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I wanted to remap the camera controls to WASD.

Didn't see it in the Options or a possible .ini file in Documents/Civ VI.

Any ideas?

I tried to do the same thing but couldn't find a way. It would be nice though.

Maledict

I am really enjoying this so far but I must say that the continents (the feature that effects America/England not the map type) logic is pretty silly. Most of them just cut landmasses in half randomly

That's because that's how continents work. South America / North America, for example. Or Europe / Asia / Africa. If they didn't force splits it would be really hard to actually use some of those special abilities.

Skinpop

considering I thought civ 5 was shit, how does this compare to civ 4(which I loved)? Btw, I don't care about graphics.

You get your key instantly when you buy to download it from steam. I bought the digital deluxe edition from them and had absolutely no issues at all.
thx I'm on the fence because civ has been my favorite strategy franchise since the first game in the series but 5 was such a disappointed that I'm scared it will happen again.

Totakeke

considering I thought civ 5 was shit, how does this compare to civ 4(which I loved)? Btw, I don't care about graphics.

thx I'm on the fence because civ has been my favorite strategy franchise since the first game in the series but 5 was such a disappointed that I'm scared it will happen again.

Depends on why you thought civ5 was shit?

is there a good video guide out there for understanding the games deeper mechanics better? Ive been playing Civ for years now but never quite understand what to do in the later stages of the game or how to work towards certain winconditions.
For example, i just lost a game and i dont even know why or what happend.

thanks in advance!

also what are good settings for creating a new game? I know this is very depended but in general which options should i check/ not check if i want to understand the game better?

Skinpop

Depends on why you thought civ5 was shit?

combat, difficulty, diplomacy to name a few things I thought was awful in civ 5. overall I feel like the strategy aspect of the game is much much weaker than civ4. tbh civ 4 almost feels like a perfect game to me. I would have preferred for them to do one more iteration on that style rather than jump into this hexagon-nonsense and remade mechanics, but what can you do..

red731

How can I cycle between units? I often feel that game suggest next turn but my units still have movement points. ed: and between cities? Any keybind for switching on the fly for that?

Thanks in advance

Firebrand

Think there's a bug with missing policies... I wondered why it was so hard to get a Great Prophet, and now I see the policies unlocked from Mysticism aren't on my list of available policies.
edit: Inspiration (Great Scientist) is there, but not Revelation (Great Prophet)

Housing and Amenities, the two horsemen of the apocalypse. I've shifted all my tiles, production and civics to these and it's still not enough for some cities.

dude

dude
combat, difficulty, diplomacy to name a few things I thought was awful in civ 5. overall I feel like the strategy aspect of the game is much much weaker than civ4. tbh civ 4 almost feels like a perfect game to me. I would have preferred for them to do one more iteration in that style rather than jump into this hexagon-nonsense, but what can you do..

Hmmm, combat is almost identical to five with some new features and fixes. IMO, this is great because combat in five was a million times better than in four.
Diplomacy in 4 was indeed excellent, and much better than in five. Six is better than five, but still not as good as four. I mean, they basic components of diplomacy are excellent, with the agendas and such. But there's the same feeling as in five that you don't have that much you can do with diplomacy. Vassalization is still sorely missed, and you can't even ask a civ to convert to your religion...
So, overall... I don't know what to tell you. But, if you you're afraid of a "simplified" game, I can say that six is quite possibly the most complicated and strategic Civ has ever been, IMO.

Housing and Amenities, the two horsemen of the apocalypse. I've shifted all my tiles, production and civics to these and it's still not enough for some cities.

Housing and Amenities are my favorite addition. Finally something stopping every city from growing into infinity in the late-game.

Think there's a bug with missing policies... I wondered why it was so hard to get a Great Prophet, and now I see the policies unlocked from Mysticism aren't on my list of available policies.
edit: Inspiration (Great Scientist) is there, but not Revelation (Great Prophet)

There can only be a fixed number of religions in a game. Once all the prophets are claimed and the maximum number of religions are founded then you can no longer earn great prophet points.

Totakeke

combat, difficulty, diplomacy to name a few things I thought was awful in civ 5. overall I feel like the strategy aspect of the game is much much weaker than civ4. tbh civ 4 almost feels like a perfect game to me. I would have preferred for them to do one more iteration on that style rather than jump into this hexagon-nonsense and remade mechanics, but what can you do..

It still uses 1 unit per tile system, except now archers don't have zone of control, and calvary ignore ignores zone of control. It makes a significant difference in planning army composition. If you love stacking units and abhor 1upt regardless, then yeah you probably won't like it. In terms of diplomacy Civ6 emphasizes less on having the AI playing to win, and instead each rival civ AI has two agendas (i.e. likes wonders, like shared religion) that drastically influence their diplomatic modifiers. In terms of difficulty, it's like every other civ game where you just have to crank up the difficulty to give AI bonuses to even be an even match if you're a seasoned player. If you say you think Deity is too easy then eh, you should have the ability to find out more yourself.

On the other hand, the game is a lot more active now due to eureka bonuses and districts. There's a lot more active thinking than just pressing next turn.

Majukun

re-asking because of the change of page

did they made the diplomacy better compared to civ v?
do the other civilizations still count you as a warmongering psychopath for that one war you did in the stone age, or can you finally switch strategy mid-play doing both war and peace just like any civilization ever in real life?

Pagusas

Elden Member
So my feedback so far after one game, and being a Civ player for 24 years:

1. I do like the new artstyle, but feel later game it looks very messy.

2. The UI is too small. On a 75" screen I'm squinting. On a monitor I'm squinting. Ui designer you done f'd up, it needs to be about 25% larger in the text size. I hope this is something they can fix.

3. The learning curve is surprisingly steep. I think this is mostly because numbers and barameters aren't where you'd expect them to be. I don't feel the game has a very good "at a glance" ui. You can't easily tel what's doing well and what isn't from a brief look like you could in all other civs.

4. Unit combat graphics need to be improved, the only ones I like are range and naval. Land unit combat looks bad and doesn't properly convey how much health you lost initially.

5. I like the new trade roads mechanic. Didn't think I would, but I'm sold on it.

6. Epic and Marathon time scales are completely out of balance and wrongly paced. You can tell they put all thought into standard time (which I hate as era's just fly by). I like to have 2-3 hours per era, otherwise units are obsolete before production is even done on the first one.

7. Districts are a nice addition, but it's destroyed my sea empire playstyle, just no where near enough tiles. I'm adapting, it's not a negative of the game at all, but it's causing a huge learning curve issue with me as I've never played heavy land oriented style.

8. We need small contents map style NOW.

9. I really like the game, in 6 months it's likely going to be perfect. In 2 years it will be the best Civ game ever.

Now my questions for other:

Is their a total score view anywhere? I miss my Civ 5 infoview mod.

I'm having the hardest trouble keeping housing under control, any tiles? My cities are getting 7-8 people then sputtering to a halt while I see the ai cities sitting at 10-12.

Still wrapping my head around civic cards, what's your favorite?

Totakeke

A lot of the city states suzerain bonuses are pretty insane. I just lost suzerain to one of them and my culture dipped from 220 to 120. :O

I also saw one that lets your cities have full housing as if they were to next to a river, that's pretty insane early game too. Drastically changes how you can play the game.

dude

dude

do the other civilizations still count you as a warmongering psychopath for that one war you did in the stone age, or can you finally switch strategy mid-play doing both war and peace just like any civilization ever in real life?
In that specific regard, yes - It's way better. You get a lot of warmongering from starting "secret wars", but if you have a casus belli you get way less for instance. I think you also get way less warmongering in the earlier stages but I'm not sure

Now my questions for other:

Is their a total score view anywhere? I miss my Civ 5 infoview mod.

I'm having the hardest trouble keeping housing under control, any tiles? My cities are getting 7-8 people then sputtering to a halt while I see the ai cities sitting at 10-12.

Still wrapping my head around civic cards, what's your favorite?
1. In the victory tracking panel there's a tab with the score. I think it should be more accessible, but I guess score never mattered all that much most of the time.
2. There are some buildings that provide housing and farms also provide 0.5 housing. When you get Neighberhoods housing becomes much less of an issue. But until then, you basically have to basically brute-force with food to get more than 12. I think all of my cities were waayyyy over their housing throughout the Renaissance era.

Rush stonehenge for a free prophet.
I think Arabia's civ ability always claims the last prophet.

Yeah, Arabia automatically get's the last Prophet, which can be super useful if you're focused on other things and haven't spent the time to bolster Faith.

I 'One-More-Turned' myself last night... on the one weekend where I actually have to pull a Saturday shift.

Whoops.

All I'm thinking about is getting back home and diving back in. Maybe invite a buddy over and do some Hotseat gaming.

Side question, since I love the Civ games even though I'm usually rubbish at them, but what is a good rate of expansion for building new cities, and what do you guys usually go for when hunting for new city locations? Is it worth taking a dive towards something for a new luxury resource, or should you try and find a more loaded spot?

Diplomacy is more transparent. The AI will follow set agenda's now, when you talk to them the game will show you one of their 2 agenda's, once you get on more favourable terms they will reveal their other agenda. If your empire follows their agenda they will become more likely to ally with you and do favourable deals, if your empire goes against their agenda they will be more aggressive. When you are denounced the game tells you why.

Their agenda's also override their diplomatic relations. Gandhi is usually a pacifist, but if you bully him repeatedly he'll get the elephants out. Likewise Trajan who loves to aggressively expand will not hesitate to stomp you once he's stomped everyone else even if you've been best buddies with him all game.

You can now give reasons to go to war. A surprise attack on a civ will give you the highest warmongering penalty, but you can also go into the diplomacy screen and state the reason for war, like launching a religious war against someone will only be a moderate warmongering penalty. You can get for all sorts of reasons, like if they spied on you and failed, or you can launch a colonial war on them if their civ is too far back on the tech tree.

Is it possible to change where you're building a district before it's completed? I started building a Neighbourhood then discovered that that tile is the only one in my empire with any uranium! I can't seem to "cancel" that build though, only change to producing other things.

Palmer_v1

I've run into a glitch where I'm producing Apostles who should have a a free martyr upgrade in addition to one normal upgrade when created. I probably made 20 of them without issue, but now the notifications tell me I have upgrades available, but none of the apostles have the upgrade icon when selected.

Edit:

A lot of the city states suzerain bonuses are pretty insane. I just lost suzerain to one of them and my culture dipped from 220 to 120. :O

I also saw one that lets your cities have full housing as if they were to next to a river, that's pretty insane early game too. Drastically changes how you can play the game.

Ghandi and I have that water one in between us, and we've both been fighting over it the entire game.

Mrbob

The hell...did Firaxis forget about UI scaling again? So annoying. Cmon guys this was a problem in Civ 5 and hasn't been addressed. Can't even click on the UI scaling box.

Branduil

Production just feels incredibly slow to me. It feels like I can never catch my cities up to where they need to be, let alone find time to build extra units.

Temporary workers also annoys me.

CzarTim

Production just feels incredibly slow to me. It feels like I can never catch my cities up to where they need to be, let alone find time to build extra units.

Temporary workers also annoys me.
Really depends on your location. My second game's capital has crazy production to the point that I'm just churning out units until I unlock new buildings.

membran

Looks like green man gaming sells the game at £39.99. is this a good deal and are they reliable?

Greenmangaming is an official Steam Key Reseller, like Amazon, no user-traded key stuff, so go ahead. I've never had any issues with them.

Note that you won't be able to use Steam's refund program with games you haven't bought directly from Steam, though.

So, GMG is "official", reliable and cheaper, but you'll lose the ability to refund.

is there anyway to stop missionary's from converting your city's without starting a war?
ask the civ leader politely to promise not to convert your cities

buy a bunch of missionaries with faith and try and stem the tide

something with inquisitors? im not that far in yet

Note, my favourite method is just to cut through the bullshit and invest in some military for the war that will occur when those greedy fucks inevitably break their promise not to convert with the added bonus of murdering all his missionaries

So I was playing as norway and built a viking ship, I thought I was going to be able to sail around and coastal raid a barbarian encampment on the coast. Is that not how it works, the button to raid is always greyed out, what am I misunderstanding?

Maledict

So I was playing as norway and built a viking ship, I thought I was going to be able to sail around and coastal raid a barbarian encampment on the coast. Is that not how it works, the button to raid is always greyed out, what am I misunderstanding?

Raid is only for enemy civs, doesn't work on barbarians.

Nzyme32

Thankfully the main game is wonderful vs the Tutorial mode, which I shouldn't have bothered with. Still got issues where things don't work as they should if the aspect ration doesn't conform to 16:9, so I moved to a 16:9 screen. A lot of fun but also a lot to learn about the new mechanics. I find it is easier to just experiment a bit with the loose understanding you get from the tutorial tool tips, at which point you can start to appreciate whats going on and better ways to play

Anno

It feels like science costs need to be increased by a decent amount. Just one campus with even a moderate adjacency can just rip through techs, especially with the right great scientists.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Me: Hey, uh, stop sending dozens of apostles to my territory
Them: Sureeeee...*does it anyway*

I love the new religious battle system, though. And I love spreading the word of my custom religion: Weed.

Palmer_v1

and I finished my first game (Standard, Prince, Continents) with a religious win as Arabia in 1660ish(turn 248). I was earning 212 faith a turn, so I was churning out an Apostle every 2 turns, basically.

It got a bit monotonous micromanaging all the religious dudes.

I was also on track to win via culture if I needed to swap over.

It feels like science costs need to be increased by a decent amount. Just one campus with even a moderate adjacency can just rip through techs, especially with the right great scientists.

Tech pacing definitely needs a big tweak. You could outpace the AI on Prince in Civ 5 pretty easily but it seems even more extreme in 6.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why is there no restart/reload map?

there are no warmongering penalties at ancient era

there are now casus belli so you have an excuse to go to war

Saganator

I'm only about 70 turns into my first game as Egypt, all I gotta say right now is fuck China. If you're on the same continent as them and you start a wonder, be ready for war.

Top Bottom