• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Declare Protectorate War. It's in the Renaissance Era in the civic tree under Diplomatic Service.

I like how we get all sorts of options to creatively make excuses for War now.

It feels really diplomatic, and my cynicism when declaring war and justifying it is a little cherry on top of the warfare sundae.

Also, Norway's Industrial Era music is intense. It is what I expected Russia's to be, but Russia is more Tsarish and fancy, Norway sounds like there is an endless line of bearded men with hammers trudging to a factory.

The Spy system seems kind of borked.

My industrial zone kept getting sabotaged so I put a Counterspy on there...and it still got sabotaged. That is frustrating. If the AI on higher levels is just going to pump out dozens of spys, I'm just going to turn it off like I did in Civ IV. I don't have the patience to reassign 10 spies every turn. There doesn't seem to be an option to permanently set a spy on a certain task, unless I am missing something.

There is a bug with the Spy UI where you have to click in and out of menus to select what you want to do.

Also found a bug where sometimes the medic won't be able to move.

Another thing. Someone slingshotted to a tech that got them into the next era, then called a colonial war on me even though I had more techs than them.

I'm loving it so far. Lots of interesting decisions to make, though it'd be hell for people who try to plan perfect cities and build orders. I'm overwhelmed by all the options, but in a good way. I feel like I could've taken my CV in several completely different directions, and no 2 games will be the same.

Bonus points for being the recognising that Yorkshire people are the only ones enlightened enough to provide sage guidance on civilisation.

SirNinja

tbh civ 4 almost feels like a perfect game to me. I would have preferred for them to do one more iteration on that style rather than jump into this hexagon-nonsense and remade mechanics, but what can you do..

What? Hexagonal tiles in Civ are an improvement on square ones in literally every way. Besides making the world much more natural-looking, hexagons eliminate the diagonal movement/adjacency issues posed by squares. I thought it was one of the few changes Civ 5 made that was an unequivocal improvement, and probably its single best change overall. It's difficult to go back to Civ 4 because of that alone.

Shane86

Another Civ sent a bunch of missionaries to my holy city and every Apostle or Inquisitor I create is in his religion now? If I use an Inquisitor on my own city it completely removes my religion. How do I change this?

Shepard

Lol got a bug that gave me a game over screen after I took Montezuma's last city, as if I playing as the Aztecs. haha... :( Well that sucks.

Also, missionaries flooding the map in the later turns are really annoying. Said war against Montezuma went on far longer than needed because almost every hex had a japanese missionary blocking my army progress.

Chindogg

Lol got a bug that gave me a game over screen after I took Montezuma's last city, as if I playing as the Aztecs. haha... :( Well that sucks.

I was ahead in tech and culture then got warnings that Brazil was close to winning culture, the nation in last place for culture.

I just lost out of nowhere with no indication why.

Shepard

I was ahead in tech and culture then got warnings that Brazil was close to winning culture, the nation in last place for culture.

I just lost out of nowhere with no indication why.

Same. No indication of who 'really won' the game in the game over screen. I will roll back a few turns to see if I can reproduce the bug (I guess?) again.

Totakeke

It's called the culture victory but it uses another resource entirely called Tourism. As long you have wonders/relics/great works you can win a tourism victory without much culture. Check the score/overview screens.

Also there are late game policies that give bonuses to international trade, but it's actually for all (external) trade routes. Not sure if this is a bug, but it does replace the earlier bonuses that apply to trade routes within the continent.

Maledict

My immediate impression after about 5 hours is that, for better or worse, Civ VI is essentially Civ V 2. It seems to be the most conservative of game of the series since Civ II, which is particularly disappointing since Civ III, IV, and V were all very different games.

It's not that Civ VI is a bad game by any stretch. But the lack of significant changes, especially considering a resurgence in the 4X genre that brought lots of really neat ideas that Civilization VI could have borrowed from (ex. Endless Legend), is really striking. It's also unfortunate that given the opportunity Firaxis didn't get rid of 1PT, city states, etc. although I know those elements have lots of fans.

Are you ignoring the fact that they took endless legends biggest thing (city building and districts), made it far more complicated and detailed and put it in civ 6? Civ 6 is in some ways one of the biggest changes in the entire series. Cities now work and build completely differently to any other version of civ, and the restrictions on tiles and wonders means you can't follow an identical path through the game anymore.

jwhit28

I noticed a weird bug with the art theming I think. You are supposed to have 3 similar works of art (landscape for example) from 3 different artist but as long as the 1st piece is from a different artist than the last, 2 you get the bonus.

The spies are much more deadly in this game. I started off by having mine steal works of art, but when the space race started I needed every spy back home to stop the sabotage of my industrial centers.

Totakeke

I noticed a weird bug with the art theming I think. You are supposed to have 3 similar works of art (landscape for example) from 3 different artist but as long as the 1st piece is from a different artist than the last, 2 you get the bonus.

The spies are much more deadly in this game. I started off by having mine steal works of art, but when the space race started I needed every spy back home to stop the sabotage of my industrial centers.

Doesn't work for artifacts.

Uzzy

Had an interesting bug(?) in today's game. I was invited to a joint war by Norway against the Aztecs, which I accepted. That was fine. I then got denounced by a bunch of other nations for being a warmonger, which was also fine.

Until Norway denounced me as a warmonger too. Which was pretty weird.

Totakeke

Finally in a civ game you can build a tourist magnet seaside resort town.

5qY0ZBp.jpg

SilentRob

What are your production numbers?

Build mines and base some traders out of your new city to get production bonus.

Thanks guys, for whatever reason I never saw the "Tutorial" option in the main menu and wasn't even aware that the Production resource determines the length of time these developments take.

Still, is that normal that every new settlement starts with such low Production that at the beginning everything takes 50 turns or what determines that? Could I just build a Trader in my capital and then use him to build a trading route from the Settlement to another city? Can I maybe even build a trading route from my settlement to my city and help the Production along?

jchap

So far I've won on emperor by domination (Aztec), Science (Greece), Culture (France), and Religion (Egypt). Religion is the easiest/fastest to pull off IMO.

The Great Wall of China is really messed up in this one, huh. Just random sections of wall scattered about. Looks strange.

EDIT: Oh wait, just looked it up. Didn't realise it was a tile improvement. That makes more sense haha

I like how the strategy view seems actually useable this time round. 5's to me always looked confusing. 6's makes more sense and looks nicer too. Not that I will ever use it though.

Sorry if this has already been answered already but is there no way for you to repair pillaged improvements? Both Brazil and Japan declared war on me and pillaged a couple of farms I built but the only way for me to fix them was to destroy the improvements and rebuild.

Chindogg

It's called the culture victory but it uses another resource entirely called Tourism. As long you have wonders/relics/great works you can win a tourism victory without much culture. Check the score/overview screens.

Also there are late game policies that give bonuses to international trade, but it's actually for all (external) trade routes. Not sure if this is a bug, but it does replace the earlier bonuses that apply to trade routes within the continent.

Nah I was crushing Brazil. They weren't even close.

Finally in a civ game you can build a tourist magnet seaside resort town.

5qY0ZBp.jpg

Is this a graphics mod? Looks more like Civ Rev than Civ 6.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sorry if this has already been answered already but is there no way for you to repair pillaged improvements? Both Brazil and Japan declared war on me and pillaged a couple of farms I built but the only way for me to fix them was to destroy the improvements and rebuild.

If you place a builder on it, there should be a little wrench icon that appears in the list of actions.

Maiorum

Thanks guys, for whatever reason I never saw the "Tutorial" option in the main menu and wasn't even aware that the Production resource determines the length of time these developments take.

Still, is that normal that every new settlement starts with such low Production that at the beginning everything takes 50 turns or what determines that? Could I just build a Trader in my capital and then use him to build a trading route from the Settlement to another city? Can I maybe even build a trading route from my settlement to my city and help the Production along?

Yes. Your settlements start off with only one pop, so you'll see some really long production times when you first settle a city. As your city grows, you'll see that cost rapidly go down, so that while it may say at first that your campus will take 60 turns or so to construct, it'll end up being far less than that.

Yes. Just build a trader and you'll see an option to change city in the lower right hand corner.

Yes, trade routes from your settlement to your capital will help it grow and produce things faster.

Ok. Weird thing. Im playing as Greece with Pericles. One of the other civs is also Greece with Pericles!!!!

It has different colors but its still so weird.

They should only allow Greece with another leader.

Randdalf

Just finished my first game, which was honestly a bit boring, but good for learning the mechanics I suppose. Nobody attacked me. Nobody seemed to really attack each other towards the end either. The only semblance of danger was Scythia posturing angrily at me a few times, but I just ran away with a Culture Victory.

Figuring I might go with a Domination Victory on a higher difficulty next game, which will probably end up being more chaotic. I actually started out planning to go for a religious victory, but it sort of stopped before the train had left the station because Scythia eliminated my religion from all my cities with an army of apostles. So I had bucketloads of faith throughout the game and not much to do with it (except buy a naturalist). After that, I pivoted to Culture and eventually ran out of space for all the great works I had available.

Ozium

Is it just me or does there seem like a lack of places to put great works of music into? writing can be thrown into an amphitheater or your palace (or is that relic spot?) great works of art can be put into art museums...

where/what is the standard housing for great works of music? the only time I've been able to use them is either in a wonder, or (I think) a broadcast center but that doesn't appear for a long time. I think I had like 2-3 great musicians sleeping just waiting for a place to put them..

Chindogg

Is it just me or does there seem like a lack of places to put great works of music into? writing can be thrown into an amphitheater or your palace (or is that relic spot?) great works of art can be put into art museums...

where/what is the standard housing for great works of music? the only time I've been able to use them is either in a wonder, or (I think) a broadcast center but that doesn't appear for a long time. I think I had like 2-3 great musicians sleeping just waiting for a place to put them..

I struggled with that as well.

The AI left Terracotta Army (let's you give all current units one upgrade) for the whole game, grabbed it in like 5 turns in Modern Era to pretty devastating effect.

Shepard

Yeah, definitely a bug. I'm playing as Rome but the game actually thinks I'm both Rome and Aztecs. Whenever an Aztec unit is in another civ territory, they ask me to remove my units from there, and if I try to take down the last Aztec city, I get a game over screen. lol, that's a first. Time to start again.

The AI left Terracotta Army (let's you give all current units one upgrade) for the whole game, grabbed it in like 5 turns in Modern Era to pretty devastating effect.

Having more specific requirements for Wonders has certainly made it so that some wonders don't get built for a long time, or not at all.

Clauss

Sumeria declared war on me. Shat on me for like a dozen turns until we negotiated a peace deal where I was returned my captured city in exchange for some gold and additional gold/turn. Damnit! I was just starting to feel like I was growing. Commence master plan.

I spent the next 30ish turns building my army. I'm talking the whole 9. I invested research, production, civics, EVERYTHING to mil/combat. I even levied Stockholm's army for 30 turns.

I started to lay into Sumeria STRONG. Gilgamesh keeps trying to make peace deals. Mother fucker even tries to get money out of it in addition to peace...like I owe this dicksplash something.

After about 20 turns I took Sumeria's last city and watch Gilgamesh cry, like the bitch he is.

This is my first Civ.

Anno

Sumeria declared war on me. Shat on me for like a dozen turns until we negotiated a peace deal where I was returned my captured city in exchange for some gold and additional gold/turn. Damnit! I was just starting to feel like I was growing. Commence master plan.

I spent the next 30ish turns building my army. I'm talking the whole 9. I invested research, production, civics, EVERYTHING to mil/combat. I even levied Stockholm's army for 30 turns.

I started to lay into Sumeria STRONG. Gilgamesh keeps trying to make peace deals. Mother fucker even tries to get money out of it in addition to peace...like I owe this dicksplash something.

After about 20 turns I took Sumeria's last city and watch Gilgamesh cry, like the bitch he is.

This is my first Civ.

That's a fitting introduction to the series.

Played my first game last night, probably won't be able to play for a while because making games is a lot of work...

One thing that boggled me: is there no Economic, Scientific, Military, etc advisors anymore? I always looked towards them if I was considering taking out my neighbor for land to see if I was better off military wise. I guess going to win conditions and seeing "Military Strength" on domination victory works just as well, but I liked the advisor panel..

Confused with what to do with a city I captured. It never got any new citizens (said it was short of food when it wasn't) and said something about being occupied and had no growth. But unlike in Civ V when you built a Courthouse to open it up I didn't see an option. Am I blind? Did I miss it? Or is there something else I have to do? Probably should have finished the tutorial, lol!

I am so sick and tired of the game constantly crashing on me. I can make it maybe a handful of turns before the game chokes and dumps me back to the desktop. I don't want to wait for a patch but I'm not sure I'll even be able to finish my first game at this point. Really frustrating.

Totakeke

Confused with what to do with a city I captured. It never got any new citizens (said it was short of food when it wasn't) and said something about being occupied and had no growth. But unlike in Civ V when you built a Courthouse to open it up I didn't see an option. Am I blind? Did I miss it? Or is there something else I have to do? Probably should have finished the tutorial, lol!

You don't "control" a city until you make a peace deal and the enemy cedes the city to you.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Finished my first game. Really really enjoy the changes.

Rome
King difficulty
Standard Length & Map
Islands Plates

Being on my own small island really helped with curbing the barbarian onslaught as well as putting a major gulf between me and any angry civ. Was able to fit two cities there with some room to grow and was later able to expand to a nearby by island to eventually establish 3 more cities with a good bit more space.

I really was not focused on what I wanted to do for most of the early game. Didn't want to go into religion, didn't want to go culture or science. Really only focused on making a lot of gold. By mid game I was doing OK, but not great, 3-4 civs were ahead of me in every category and none of my cities had any important resources or good amounts of luxuries. But I focused heavily on maximizing my trading and gold intake. I always had a good 4k+ to play with, which helped a lot in buying improvements for districts, getting builders to help maximize my land use and keep my cities growing as much as possible so I could expand on them more.

By turn 250 or so I started to gain in culture and was keeping up with science for the most part, only 2-3 techs behind the leader for the most part. At that point I focused heavily on Tourism. I literally bought half of my great works from the US. But also created my own and lead in Great Wonders which helped. At that point I started investing in Theater Districts and archaeology which helped a great deal. I think I had 4 fully stocked museums 2 of which were themed. By turn 486 I had won, so just barely made it under the wire.

Still have a lot to learn, but there's so much more thinking involved with this at every turn. By the late game it was really becoming apparent how far head you have to think about your districts. My first to cities being on a relatively small island mean I didn't have much room between districts and wonders, plus needing certain tile improvements to maintain food and production. So there were certainly some districts I wish I hadn't build there or had done so in another location even if it had a smaller bonus or none at all.

Top Bottom