• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Anno

I like how well commented the various text files are. Also it looks like team multiplayer can be enabled in a file? Maybe they found a last minute bug and had to disable it for launch.

Anyone else experiencing significant instability? I'm two thirds of the way through a 6-civ game on a small map, and it feels like I can't go much longer than half an hour (and often significantly less) without a crash to desktop. It's really frustrating to play for ten minutes and then spend two minutes restarting the game and waiting for your save to looooooooooooooooooooooooad.

Why is it any time I do a trade route only one of the two cities receives a benefit? I've tried every combination of cities possible and that's always the case.

I'm only about 70 turns into my first game as Egypt, all I gotta say right now is fuck China. If you're on the same continent as them and you start a wonder, be ready for war.

He was moaning at me for having more wonders than him, yet I only had one at the time and so did he.

He eventually went to war with me but he was useless and didn't get anywhere. I let him live though so he can forever be jealous of all my wonders right next door to him.

MGrant

Just bought it. Drunk Civ 6 is great. I'm China. Fuck these barbarians though. Spawned with 2 horsemen at my doorstep shortly after the game began. So now Russia and Kongo are way ahead in land acquisition because I'm fighting with Warriors and Slingers to protect Xi'an. Fuck you Kongolese dick, stop settling my land.

Bolivar687

Banned
combat, difficulty, diplomacy to name a few things I thought was awful in civ 5. overall I feel like the strategy aspect of the game is much much weaker than civ4. tbh civ 4 almost feels like a perfect game to me. I would have preferred for them to do one more iteration on that style rather than jump into this hexagon-nonsense and remade mechanics, but what can you do..

I was going to write about this. I really wish they took this as an opportunity to move away from the direction of Civ V. I just don't see what city states, barbarian camps, and limiting combat damage per turn does to improve on the formula. It reminds me of Warcraft III and the Dota clones that add all this crap to the early game because they think its boring if the player doesn't have enough to do from the start. Strategy games are supposed to be that way and all this stuff just detracts from what the game is really about, getting a civilization up and running. I really don't like the way the series has changed governments, where it's all these little micro bonuses diluting the experience. I felt civics were perfect in Civ IV, it's easy to understand how to get them, what they do, and how it orients your civ. Religion took a similar change and it's just not as fun in these games. Civ IV's religions were mysterious, unique forms of expression, and felt like real cultural achievements, I loved watching little Confucian scholars scurrying across the world. It's disappointing it's reduced to an extension of the government micro bonuses and doesn't feel as unique or special. V and VI almost feel like it's a different series from III and IV and it's sad that I have to look elsewhere if I want to have that kind of experience again.

All that said, I'm looking forward to putting in the time and learning to enjoy this in its own right. The presentation is wonderful and there's so much meat on the bones as far as having a rich strategy experience you can dig into and learn all the secrets. There's so much going on, it's going to be really fun to master all new additions.

Firebrand

Why is it any time I do a trade route only one of the two cities receives a benefit? I've tried every combination of cities possible and that's always the case.

Seems like that way to me as well. I do get my Egypt trait's trade bonus from incoming trade routes, but sending stuff internally only seems to ship things one way. Could be wrong though, the interface leaves a bit to be desired.

Are you playing as the kongo?
No, Egypt. I spawned one Great Prophet already with Stonehenge though, could that be related? Can you get more than one?

considering I thought civ 5 was shit, how does this compare to civ 4(which I loved)? Btw, I don't care about graphics.

thx I'm on the fence because civ has been my favorite strategy franchise since the first game in the series but 5 was such a disappointed that I'm scared it will happen again.

i like it a lot less than civ4

it has the same problem of civ5 where i feel like the map basically plays itself and our decisions don't actually matter that much. the tech research boosts, civic research boosts, city state quests, and district layout constraints basically railroad you down certain paths and you can easily play without even thinking of any strategy or planning of your own

the main difference between civ5 is that civ6 has tons more complexity to manage and worry about, but that doesn't necessarily lead to any actual strategic depth

ZZMitch

That's because that's how continents work. South America / North America, for example. Or Europe / Asia / Africa. If they didn't force splits it would be really hard to actually use some of those special abilities.

Uh that's not really true. North and South America are split by the isthmus of Panama, which makes sense. Africa is seperated by the Sinai peninsula. Europe and Asia is the only weird one, and at least there is the Ural mountain range denoting a border. In my America game the new "continent" cut straight through lakes and plains etc with not geographic reason to separate it from the other continent. It just looks sill to me, coming from someone who makes and analyses maps/spatial data for a living. It was pretty silly since Washington was right on the edge, so when I move one hex south of the city I am suddenly in a new continent.

All I am saying is I wish that different continents actually had some sort of feature that makes the split make sense.

Anno

No, Egypt. I spawned one Great Prophet already with Stonehenge though, could that be related? Can you get more than one?

No. They're only for founding a religion, not spreading or upgrading it. That's what apostles are for once you construct a temple. So the prophet slow in the GP tree and the +prophet cards disappear.

SilentRob

So I built a second settlement on the other side of a river from my capital and everything I wanted to built in there takes 60 - 130 turns? o_O Is that normal?

Totakeke

i like it a lot less than civ4

it has the same problem of civ5 where i feel like the map basically plays itself and our decisions don't actually matter that much. the tech research boosts, civic research boosts, city state quests, and district layout constraints basically railroad you down certain paths and you can easily play without even thinking of any strategy or planning of your own

the main difference between civ5 is that civ6 has tons more complexity to manage and worry about, but that doesn't necessarily lead to any actual strategic depth

Unless you're playing on a difficulty that you can do whatever and nothing matters anyway, I wholly disagree. Considering that many of the districts, wonders, and improvements fight over the very same productive tiles, it requires every bit of decision making and figuring out what tradeoffs matter. Also eureka bonuses and city states quests are often diverging paths that you can take and you don't just click end turn to get those.

How did you play a game where "district layout constraints basically railroad you down certain paths"? My capital doesn't have even space for an industrial zone.

red731

That wasd and protips time .lua edit.

24a2327a0d4381b864dd1b3107b3bbbe.jpg

Randdalf

Oh man, I feel so lost in the late game. Guess I'll keep on doing culture things and hope for the best. I'm thinking I need to start building some modern military units though, Scythia is getting very feisty with its settlers.

Totakeke

So it looks like wonders "reset" if the wonder was in a city state after you liberate it. Gonna build pyramids in 1700AD again.

_woLf

i really hope that they enable UI scaling for 1440p.

On my monitor the UI is SO small. :( I'm already fighting the UI a lot because of what seems like weird responsiveness but this makes it even more of a pain.

Saganator

He was moaning at me for having more wonders than him, yet I only had one at the time and so did he.

He eventually went to war with me but he was useless and didn't get anywhere. I let him live though so he can forever be jealous of all my wonders right next door to him.

His military was bigger and most of what I had was off fighting barbarians, he did a surprise attack and I didn't have much of a chance. Early game seems to be a bit more of a challenge, I'm probably a bit rusty, too. I never got taken out so early in Civ 4 and 5. Prince difficulty btw

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Damn, Aztecs are strong as fuck. Keep going on a killing spree and harvesting forests as you get more builders. Unlike Civ5, the harvest function doesn't get weaker the further away you are.

One big thing I've noticed, deleting units gets you a lot of gold. I captured an enemy settler and sold it for 200 gold on the next turn!

If you've got a unit that is a goner, definitely delete it before it gets killed if you can. Especially good for scouts that are surrounded by barbs in the early game.

Totakeke

I've been playing 1440p on my 27" monitor and the UI is clear enough.

Here's an idea of Greece's potential on culture output.
iQQnVF6.png

Also, once you reach late game, adjacency bonuses don't really matter as much.

Production numbers do seem to be a bit feast or famine. In my two games (one still unfinished), three or four cities could build just about anything in short order; the rest just had to slowly work through a district line or two. I'll have to look again to see whether it's just (a) me being slightly more concerned about resources/strategic locations than gears in placing many of my cities, (b) gears being somewhat sparser on the map than hammers in previous games, (c) the developers trying to tell you to build industrial zones even in cities that are never going to be production powerhouses.

Anyone else seen Peter spamming cities on every unused tile, no matter how weak. Dude is a pain to deal with. In my current game (King difficulty) he was running neck-and-neck with me for a while and scaring the hell out of me with his army of apostles. But he tucked his capital away between two mountain ranges, with a one-tile bottleneck protecting the NW entrance, a second, more-powerful city guarding the SW entrance, and that city's encampment two tiles east, able to fire on anyone who came through that NW entrance to fire on the capital. It was an absolute nightmare to crack that nut.

EMT0

Banned
God the religion game is annoying; on higher difficulties the AI will send a literal wave of apostles to convert you.

Also, Yosemite doesn't count as a mountain for the purposes of an aqueduct, which was a nasty surprise for an otherwise excellent city.

On the whole though, I'm enjoying myself. I can't seem to shake the bad habit of quitting at a certain point though. First time I quit because I was steamrolling Prince. The second time I quit out of salt because of the aqueduct thing. Third time's the charm.

God the religion game is annoying; on higher difficulties the AI will send a literal wave of apostles to convert you.

Also, Yosemite doesn't count as a mountain for the purposes of an aqueduct, which was a nasty surprise for an otherwise excellent city.

On the whole though, I'm enjoying myself. I can't seem to shake the bad habit of quitting at a certain point though. First time I quit because I was steamrolling Prince. The second time I quit out of salt because of the aqueduct thing. Third time's the charm.

Just like Civ V, asking them to stop does nothing. I don't even know why they bothered to put that in the game.

Totakeke

So you can replant woods later in the game but you can't chop second-growth woods for production gains. Thought it was going to be broken. :p Still it's a good source of wonder production boost if there's any virgin woods around since you can always replant them for appeal or to build lumber mills.

Again lumber mills hold the tradition of kinda sucking compared to mines.

So you can replant woods later in the game but you can't chop second-growth woods for production gains. Thought it was going to be broken. :p Still it's a good source of wonder production boost if there's any virgin woods around since you can always replant them for appeal or to build lumber mills.

Again lumber mills hold the tradition of kinda sucking compared to mines.

I love that jungles give you production when you chop them.

Just like Civ V, asking them to stop does nothing. I don't even know why they bothered to put that in the game.

Basically if you keep asking them to stop and they ignore you it opens up the option for you to declare war with the reason that they keep violating your requests, so you don't take a really bad warmongering penalty.

Basically if you keep asking them to stop and they ignore you it opens up the option for you to declare war with the reason that they keep violating your requests, so you don't take a really bad warmongering penalty.

Really? That's interesting. Is the warmonger penalty lighter than the religious war casus belli?

Totakeke

I love that jungles give you production when you chop them.

Yeah one key thing is that if you build a district or wonder on top of woods or jungle before chopping them with a builder you lose a lot of production that you could have gained.

Also I'm thinking that it's totally okay to have crappy cities in order to obtain strategic resources and to help your other cities maximize adjacency bonuses because in the end the settler costs doesn't scale that much compared to how much districts costs can scale. You don't want to have too many subpar cities with districts because they'll make it harder for your big cities to quickly build the important districts. The main downside is that you just have more area that you need to defend. Also the within six tile system that factories and stadiums have make filler cities within your region to be semi-decent.

Sarek

Anyone figured out if there is some UI element that let's you see which cities are under the 6 six hex radius eg. factories have? Also does the bonus stack from multiple factories?

drawkcaB

My immediate impression after about 5 hours is that, for better or worse, Civ VI is essentially Civ V 2. It seems to be the most conservative of game of the series since Civ II, which is particularly disappointing since Civ III, IV, and V were all very different games.

It's not that Civ VI is a bad game by any stretch. But the lack of significant changes, especially considering a resurgence in the 4X genre that brought lots of really neat ideas that Civilization VI could have borrowed from (ex. Endless Legend), is really striking. It's also unfortunate that given the opportunity Firaxis didn't get rid of 1PT, city states, etc. although I know those elements have lots of fans.

I'm holding off on playing an aggressive religion game. Moving around missionaries and inquisitors was tedious in Civ 5. I can see how Firaxis thought adding combat to the system might make it more interesting, but frankly I'd rather they just put religious pressure in a slider or an espionage-like menu system (e.g., I place X missionaries in Moscow to convert populace, Moscow has Y inquisitors in Moscow, so the result is ...). There are already plenty of pieces to move per turn.

Gothos

I'm holding off on playing an aggressive religion game. Moving around missionaries and inquisitors was tedious in Civ 5. I can see how Firaxis thought adding combat to the system might make it more interesting, but frankly I'd rather they just put religious pressure in a slider or an espionage-like menu system (e.g., I place X missionaries in Moscow to convert populace, Moscow has Y inquisitors in Moscow, so the result is ...). There are already plenty of pieces to move per turn.

Yea, it's the main reason I simply ignore religion. Thinking about moving all those units to convert other cities... Meh.

Yeah he did a great job again. I think I might like it more than Baba Yetu.

I'm listening to the soundtrack at work, the Industrial Era Russian stuff is excellent. I mean... pretty much everything is excellent. It does a good mix of building from mysterious and exploratory, building up through the ages and really blossoming into the later eras.

Mercador

It looks like I need a new computer but I'm not ready to upgrade. Between Radeon Hd 6770 and a GeForce 9750 gx2, which one is better ? I got a GeForce 260 at the moment, not dx11 compatible. My PC is a X3 Phenom 720. Both cards are at 40$ around me. Thanks!

Grief.exe

Two relatively early game questions.

What would be a recommended Civics/Tech path for my situation? I'm looking to get an early military advantage as I have two hostile empires relatively close.

What's an easy way to become friendly with an empire?

Keeglez

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been answered, I'm on slow internet at the moment.

Is there a way to justify going to war with someone attacking city states? Gilgamesh is being an ass. But everyone denounced me after I protected Geneva from destruction.

Totakeke

Sorry if this has been answered, I'm on slow internet at the moment.

Is there a way to justify going to war with someone attacking city states? Gilgamesh is being an ass. But everyone denounced me after I protected Geneva from destruction.

Declare Protectorate War. It's in the Renaissance Era in the civic tree under Diplomatic Service.

Top Bottom