• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Anno

Is there any way to play an "earth" map?

One has already been cooked up in the mods section at CivFanatics, so you can grab it there. Doesn't look like their is a real start location yet, though. Also apparently the largest map is just insanely huge to the point of recommending like a 980ti to play it properly.

denhoffi

Neo Member
I missed out on a prophet and now they're all gone, so I can't found a religion. What now?

I can't fight back against other religions while they spread in my cities. Am I now under constant threat of a religious defeat? Do I have to take over the civ that created that religion?

MGrant

Whatever decides war declarations from AIs is clearly fucked right now. I had a +12, -2 relationship with England, and a +12, -0 relationship with Germany, and a sizeable army in my borders, yet both of them declared war on me simultaneously around turn 40. Is there an automatic trigger if your score gets higher than theirs? I was higher than both, but not by much.

I missed out on a prophet and now they're all gone, so I can't found a religion. What now?

I can't fight back against other religions while they spread in my cities. Am I now under constant threat of a religious defeat? Do I have to take over the civ that created that religion?

You can't win a religious victory now, however I did find that you CAN spend your faith - if you're accumulating it anyway - on Great People.

As for the threat of religious defeat, there's not much you can do I think, as you can't train any religious units. You can, however, murder everyone, as you said.

Anno

Yeah keep an eye on the religious victory screen and get ready to go conquering if someone's victory is looking imminent. Other than that just hope that a decent religion gets spread to you and bank your faith for great people.

denhoffi

Neo Member
You can't win a religious victory now, however I did find that you CAN spend your faith - if you're accumulating it anyway - on Great People.

As for the threat of religious defeat, there's not much you can do I think, as you can't train any religious units. You can, however, murder everyone, as you said.

Yeah keep an eye on the religious victory screen and get ready to go conquering if someone's victory is looking imminent. Other than that just hope that a decent religion gets spread to you and bank your faith for great people.

Thanks guys.
That sucks though, I wanted a nice and quiet science victory and now I have to declare war.

Anno

Thanks guys.
That sucks though, I wanted a nice and quiet science victory and now I have to declare war.

Eh maybe not. Depends on the map and where the dominant religions are located. Frequently I'll see one Civ control one continent, another control the second continent and by the time people start exploring the rest of the world the two religions will be pretty entrenched making it unlikely anyone ever converts more than half of the Civs. Unless it's already looking inevitable then you may be able to play peacefully still.

Rad-

After 12 hours of playing I finally realize there is an unit experience bar. I kept on searching for it too earlier and didn't notice smh.

Najaf

After 12 hours of playing I finally realize there is an unit experience bar. I kept on searching for it too earlier and didn't notice smh.

What? I was zooming in looking for that and did not see one last night. Is it in line with the health bar?

Also, has anyone found a screen that shows you number of turns until peace can be made and number of turns until war can be declared (after peace)?

Paralysis of choice is killing me. Finding it very hard to focus on a specific tactics and start majorly lagging behind the other Civs as a result, which leads to me restarting. I've played all the Civs since III, so I have no idea what's going on. :-\

Corum

Paralysis of choice is killing me. Finding it very hard to focus on a specific tactics and start majorly lagging behind the other Civs as a result, which leads to me restarting. I've played all the Civs since III, so I have no idea what's going on. :-\

I often have that but it's important to pick a goal and work towards it, i.e. a specific type of the victory is the most obvious.

For instance in my first game I played as France and worked towards a cultural victory so obviously I chose production that benefited cultural output and at the same time considered my amenities and housing capacity i.e. building an aqueduct when the housing cap. was reached or settling a new city near luxury resources to receive more amenities.

Apologies if that is extremely obvious guidance and you're looking for more in-depth strategies.

I often have that but it's important to pick a goal and work towards it, i.e. a specific type of the victory is the most obvious.

For instance in my first game I played as France and worked towards a cultural victory so obviously I chose production that benefited cultural output and at the same time considered my amenities and housing capacity i.e. building an aqueduct when the housing cap. was reached or settling a new city near luxury resources to receive more amenities.

Apologies if that is extremely obvious guidance and you're looking for more in-depth strategies.

I think I just have trouble getting into a min-maxing mindset, particularly with tech...e.g. I get anxious when I've hit the classical age but still haven't researched archery, so I go back and waste turns focusing on that instead of continuing to focus on techs that actually serve my purpose. It feels wrong not to research everything.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wow. Easy Deity win for difficulty achievements.

Play as any civ with any religious bonuses. Then play against Kongo. Easy if done in a Duel map.

Basically just hang tight until you get your first religion, all while building warriors or archers to deflect his attempt of DoW. Tend send all your missionaries on his town.

Just play as Rome, set game to end in 1 turn. After founding a city you will win by score. ;P

Corum

I think I just have trouble getting into a min-maxing mindset, particularly with tech...e.g. I get anxious when I've hit the classical age but still haven't researched archery, so I go back and waste turns focusing on that instead of continuing to focus on techs that actually serve my purpose. It feels wrong not to research everything.

I can empathize with that, I had 1 coastal city in my last game but I felt the need to research the naval/seafaring technologies when other more useful technologies were available.

I used to feel bad because I thought I wasn't playing the game right but I've accepted I won't be perfect, especially on my first 5 playthroughs.

I guess just do what you feel is right, and if you lose then try again differently.

8bit

Knows the Score
Where's the toggle to turn off Sean Bean? I could do without disinterested Northern Bloke every few seconds.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Where's the toggle to turn off Sean Bean? I could do without disinterested Northern Bloke every few seconds.

So many James Bond/Game of Thrones jokes to make here...

Meier

I'm finding that the most difficult thing is getting enough amenities to a city you've taken over. Anyone have any suggestions here? The 4 barbarians that Lisbon spawned because they're -5 amenities were quite tough. Is the best bet to just make/buy a bunch of Settlers from there to lower their population..? They're producing so slowly that I can't build stuff fast enough to counteract the issue.

So many James Bond/Game of Thrones jokes to make here...

My comment over Skype while playing my buddies was, "Finally! Something where Sean Bean doesn't die!"

Some of the quotes are great. The Animal Husbandry Churchill one is good. There's even some Monty Python sneaked in there.

GRaider81

Finally beat Teddys army with my Spartans only for Germany to swoop in and take a 10 health Washington!

They now have a super state immediately south of me. My military is much stronger than theirs though not sure we can cope with back to back wars. Only England is neutral with me while everyone else hates me for going to War with America.

Aztecs spreading Buddhism around the world.

Totakeke

I'm finding that the most difficult thing is getting enough amenities to a city you've taken over. Anyone have any suggestions here? The 4 barbarians that Lisbon spawned because they're -5 amenities were quite tough. Is the best bet to just make/buy a bunch of Settlers from there to lower their population..? They're producing so slowly that I can't build stuff fast enough to counteract the issue.

First check the city status screen to find out what exactly is causing the amenities loss since it's unlikely due to just lack of luxury resources otherwise your whole empire should be in revolt. Simplest way is probably just to end the war and get the original owner to cede the city to you.

Corum

I have a situation in my current game where Trajan is clearly massing his legions on my borders in preparation for war so I denounced him and then proceeded to declare war on him but I received a severe warmonger penalty and now the rest of the world is pissed at me.

What other options did I have other than creating more and gathering my own troops along my borders?

Meier

First check the city status screen to find out what exactly is causing the amenities loss since it's unlikely due to just lack of luxury resources otherwise your whole empire should be in revolt. Simplest way is probably just to end the war and get the original owner to cede the city to you.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that more closely -- I haven't really been referencing that screen. In this case, Lisboa (Lisbon) was a City-State that I took over so there isn't a war per se with it, but I have had some warnings about the other Cities from Rome that I've conquered. I've got them down to their last City. Bastards were smart and built one way on the other side of the map so it's going to take a little effort. I stayed up until after 3:00 though so I had to force myself to stop. Going on 3 hours of sleep today, woo!

Totakeke

I have a situation in my current game where Trajan is clearly massing his legions on my borders in preparation for war so I denounced him and then proceeded to declare war on him but I received a severe warmonger penalty and now the rest of the world is pissed at me.

What other options did I have other than creating more and gathering my own troops along my borders?

Wait for him to declare war on you? :p

I was doing an Island Plates game as England, and man can you pump out Great Admirals. There was one that popped up really early, if you retire him he gives you an Ironclad, and we were nowhere near that yet on the Tech Trees.

I felt like Nemo rolling the high seas in a high tech indestructible monster. That plus Great Lighthouse and I had the safest seas ever.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
About to win yet another game against my friends through religious victory even though they expected it this time. The Stonehenge rush is just so effective at getting your religion off the ground way before anyone else. Maybe it's not that religion is inherently too strong, but that Church Property (which gives you Gold for each City following your religion) and the other Belief that does it based on the number of followers you have are just too good. In the early game, getting access to like an extra 40+ Gold a turn is backbreaking allowing you to focus most of your production on Districts and Wonders while you buy everything else you need.

essemdub

Is anyone else noticing that the AI seems to "give up" at certain points on Prince difficulty?

I've played a couple-hundred hours of Civ IV and V and it at least wasn't apparent to me playing those games. Even Civs that were functionally out of the game were pains in the ass and at least struggled to get something for themselves.

As an example, I'm in my second Prince game (I didn't want to move up until I learned the ins and outs of the game) but at a certain point in this game I noticed that my nearest neighbors, Rome, Greece, and Japan all seemed to stop doing....anything. They had their classical units in the Industrial era, they didn't have many improvements or buildings, and their "per turns" were horrendously low. At the start we were all bitter rivals and now that I've pulled ahead (by insane margins) they just seem to sit there and take up space.

I'll be moving onto King for my next game now that I've got the hang of the new mechanics but seeing them just sit there and sulk for 100 turns really weirded me out.

Could just be that I don't remember it in previous games or it's a factor of the difficulty setting.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
My comment over Skype while playing my buddies was, "Finally! Something where Sean Bean doesn't die!"

Some of the quotes are great. The Animal Husbandry Churchill one is good. There's even some Monty Python sneaked in there.

Hate to break this to you, but the character he voices dies in the trailer/opening movie.

Randdalf

Is anyone else noticing that the AI seems to "give up" at certain points on Prince difficulty?

I kind of felt that in my first game, where I was aiming for a religious victory then got absolutely steamrolled by Scythia's acolytes. So I pivoted towards culture, and then basically had a smooth course to victory, I was hoping for more fight, because I had about five military units, three of which were from the ancient era. They could have easily gone to war with me and won.

Anno

Anyone else feel like getting production up is hard as hell? Even with the industrial district?

It's more reliant on location than V, I think. Unless you just spam trade routes. But I think hammers in general are the overpowered resource in this game now thay science and to some extent food have been scaled back a bit. I'm just now playing as Germany getting my Hansas online and now I feel totally in control.

With regards to the exclusion folder to put into Windows Defender... are we taking about Steam/steamapps/common/Civ6?
Late response, but I think that should be the correct path. Just in case, if you right click on Civilization 6 in your Game Library in Steam, there should be an option in one of the tabs to browse locally or something, and you can determine the path from the window there.

Not true. Once you get an armory, you can build military engineers that can make roads.
Is there any way to get more charges on Military Engineers? T_T For some reason building our own roads is so overpowered that Firaxis only lets us do it 2 charges at a time. That seems maddening.

Also agreed with everyone else, my first win in the game was a surprise culture victory that was meant to be a domination victory. I took out Kongo because they were threatening a culture victory, and inherited all of their great works from Mbanza Kongo as a result. I wasn't thinking too hard about it, and before the turn when I was going to sack London, the victory video for culture played and I was like "wait what O_O".

Meier

I do wish that they had an automated thing for builders. Even with a finite number of upgrades, it'd be nice to just fix it and forget it so to speak.

Late response, but I think that should be the correct path. Just in case, if you right click on Civilization 6 in your Game Library in Steam, there should be an option in one of the tabs to browse locally or something, and you can determine the path from the window there.

I just did the entire Steam folder personally. I assume they'll patch it shortly and then I'll remove the exclusion in general.

Totakeke

Roads is one example where their tweaks to the Civ5 system just made everything a lot more elegant. In the previous iterations it's either you spam roads everywhere with workers because they cost nothing except for turns, or you had to manage and plan roads because they cost gold to maintain. The former looks like a mess, the latter has weird considerations with roads that you don't want, and both of them constituted a good amount of busywork. Roads are now mostly an automatic affair and it makes sense that it's easiest to travel along routes that have commercial value to the civilizations. I like that it still takes good amount of turns late game for a builder to travel to a hill 3 tiles away from your city because even in modern civilizations it's still a pain to travel to far off areas.

essemdub

I kind of felt that in my first game, where I was aiming for a religious victory then got absolutely steamrolled by Scythia's acolytes. So I pivoted towards culture, and then basically had a smooth course to victory, I was hoping for more fight, because I had about five military units, three of which were from the ancient era. They could have easily gone to war with me and won.

Yah, this seems similar to my experience.

At a certain level I almost feel cheated, like, "I didn't need your help to win, game!"

Wonder if it's part of the overall AI settings or just part of the difficulty. What difficulty were you on?

Oh no doubt, I'm happy about traders building roads this time around too, I just wish I had a little more control over road building :p The roads from internal trade routes are generally efficient though, so no complaints there. Maybe I should start sending traders to potential victims before I start my campaign against them...

Totakeke

Oh no doubt, I'm happy about traders building roads this time around too, I just wish I had a little more control over road building :p The roads from internal trade routes are generally efficient though, so no complaints there. Maybe I should start sending traders to potential victims before I start my campaign against them...

Yeah I haven't used military engineers or played Rome yet but it was kind of scary to see Rome shuffling around a ton of units with their free roads.

Edit: Thinking about it, I haven't had a situation where another civ I want to conquer is far away on land and without roads in between though. Also usually I'm moving 5-6 units at once towards a city and a single road path can't be useful for most of them unless I started very far away. If it's just a neighboring city roads don't really matter that much for conquest except for pillaging. I don't see a scenario of building multiple military engineers just to move that group of units faster. The only exception is the Rome legion maybe.

Yeah I haven't used military engineers or played Rome yet but it was kind of scary to see Rome shuffling around a ton of units with their free roads.

Edit: Thinking about it, I haven't had a situation where another civ I want to conquer is far away on land and without roads in between though. Also usually I'm moving 5-6 units at once towards a city and a single road path can't be useful for most of them unless I started very far away. If it's just a neighboring city roads don't really matter that much for conquest except for pillaging. I don't see a scenario of building multiple military engineers just to move that group of units faster. The only exception is the Rome legion maybe.
The concern isn't necessarily just for distance, though that is generally a factor. Sometimes enemy cities are stuck in dense terrain, and well... sometimes I actually want that dense terrain there if it matters for that city. Like maybe there are lumber mills around the city that I don't want to chop, and not just within the first ring around the city either. Roads would help me deal with the movement penalties a bit, and I can at least shuffle units faster around a city this way.

On a tangent, it is so awesome that Great Generals provide a +1 move bonus to qualified units within their aura :O I am so happy with that particular change, though now I have to actually remember whether or not my units are from the right era.

Are the recommended specs accurate for this game?

How would the game run on my AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4ghz CPU, Radeon HD 6870 1GB GPU, and 8GB RAM? Playing at 1600x900 for reference.

Also what's the maximum map size as Civ count? Are city states back too?

Are Lumber Mills even good?

I like building roads to encampments.

Top Bottom