• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Totakeke

I don't even build mines on empty hills for the most part.
Also Montezuma's 2nd ability makes it so builders can complete a district by themselves once they get the extra 2 builds which takes about a third of the time it takes to build a district.

Five charges complete a district regardless of the current district cost? I was wondering what "original" production cost meant.

Does that mean seven charges will complete a wonder for China? That's crazy powerful.

Five charges complete a district regardless of the current district cost? I was wondering what "original" production cost meant.

Does that mean seven charges will complete a wonder for China? That's crazy powerful.
Yeah from what I tried. You have to currently build it but that just means switching the construction around for the builder.
I just build a district from 40 to 0 turns with a builder alone.
Haven't tried with China yet.

RoyalFool

Banned
Why on earth do all the AI keep accusing me of being a warmongering?

I've not attacked anyone, trespassed or even have much of an army!

Does upgrading units garrisoned count or something? seems broken.

Not sure if anyone else tried this yet, but this seems logically consistent...

In the interest of having less to micro, sometimes I'll link a Great General to one of my units so that I don't have to move the Great General along as well. Ranged units can get an awesome promotion called 'Expert Marksman' which allows the unit to attack an additional time, as long as the unit hasn't moved for the turn. Apparently that rule only strictly applies to the ranged unit itself, because when I move my Great General, I find that the ranged unit linked to it can actually attack twice, even though the two together has clearly moved O_O

In which case, if this actually works and I'm not playing mind tricks on myself, I hope a support unit like an APC or support heli (or tiltrotor) will show up in the future that basically has a ton of move points that can be dedicated to shuttling linked units around real fast.

Finally have the time to sink my teeth into this game. Is there any reason to play this game above medium? I have an old 670 so I'm thinking I just go pure performance if it doesn't look too bad

Fledz

In which case, if this actually works and I'm not playing mind tricks on myself, I hope a support unit like an APC or support heli (or tiltrotor) will show up in the future that basically has a ton of move points that can be dedicated to shuttling linked units around real fast.

Probably a bug but interesting idea nonetheless.

Finally have the time to sink my teeth into this game. Is there any reason to play this game above medium? I have an old 670 so I'm thinking I just go pure performance if it doesn't look too bad

Not sure how it scales but I am doing basically all maxed with a 780 and no performance hiccups at all. It's actually amazing how well it's running.

RedFyn

Why do my traders need to reselect routes every once in a while? Is the trade route only set for one go then needs to be reset?
Yeah, they go to their destination and then come back and require you to send them off again. No idea if you can automate it somehow.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
So a friend of mine and I both encountered a bug with the game where it would hang on the load screens forever. Seems that this is actually an issue with Windows. Fixed it by setting Windows Defender to ignore my Civilization VI folder and that seemed to clear things right up. If you are running into similar problems, give this a try as it worked for both of us.

ZZMitch

So a friend of mine and I both encountered a bug with the game where it would hang on the load screens forever. Seems that this is actually an issue with Windows. Fixed it by setting Windows Defender to ignore my Civilization VI folder and that seemed to clear things right up. If you are running into similar problems, give this a try as it worked for both of us.

Yeah that happened to a whole bunch of people (including me) last night. You got the right fix

Mrbob

Seems like a ton of people had this issue. I did too. Wonder what caused it because the game worked fine on day one.

That Defender bugged pissed me off. I had installed the 375.63 hotfix earlier to overcome the Windows Mail bug, so I got totally misdirected.

It's really hard to avoid denouncement and war in this game. I'm assuming the next patch/DLC will really focus on ironing out diplomacy.

Civ IV is still the gold standard in that regard.

I didn't like how religion worked in Civ V and I like it even less in Civ VI. Primarily because it feels more obtuse in Civ VI but also because you still have to ring your cities with units to stop the zerg rush of foreign religious emissaries and the only preventative measures you have are reactionary. i.e. you can't ask a foreign power to not convert your cities until it's already converted a city. I'm sitting on all of this accrued faith with nothing to spend it on. I can't buy prophets, I can't buy cheaper emissaries to spread my religion more quickly, I can't buy inquisitors and I don't have the protection of having a holy city, which will still exert religious pressure even if it gets converted. I've always hated how another Civ's religious units are free to move through your territory, regardless of what your relationship with that Civ is.

The Tech/Era progression seems kind of wacky too, like I've managed to game my way up to the industrial era while having a lot of medieval and renaissance military units stuck in tech dead ends or waiting for me to catch up in research.

I never enjoy war in civ. It always feels so slow, especially on rough terrain. With the stacking gone (for a long time I know) you often get units stuck behind others, killing units takes several turns... ahh! Such a bore.
I also can't figure out how to build roads. Is it only traders ?

So I put 8 hours into a game and now it won't load when I try to start it. It just hangs on loading after Sean Bean talks...

Please tell me there is some fix for this. This is super frustrating.

Bizukah

Neo Member
I never enjoy war in civ. It always feels so slow, especially on rough terrain. With the stacking gone (for a long time I know) you often get units stuck behind others, killing units takes several turns... ahh! Such a bore.
I also can't figure out how to build roads. Is it only traders ?

I've also never able to get behind war that much. There's too much planning and not enough pay off. If I wanted to do a real surprise war, then I'd have to figure out a way to surround the enemy cities without them seeing it through fog of war (obviously just talking about mp here but)

and yes, only traders can build roads

jholmes

Finished my game today, culture victory with Japan. Some thoughts:

• The game started loading up suuuper slow now and I don't have Defender on so I don't know what it is.
  • I like the casus belli system but there's a few of times where I couldn't use the one I wanted -- primarily holy war.
  • I don't plan on playing Japan again any time soon so I figured I'd get the Meiji Restoration achievement late in the game. You have to have a district surrounded by six other districts, but it only pops if you put the middle one in last, filling up the doughnut hole. I put in an extra 30 minutes through some long, looooooong late-game turns to build the last two districts after I got the win so there's some time in my life I'm never getting back, thanks a lot Firaxis.
  • I played on a standard map and barbs never stopped being an issue.
  • I like how the wonders work in this game but they're way too expensive and taking up a whole tile can be a big deal in this game. I think Rome finally built the Colossus somewhere halfway through the game, maybe around the 1700s.
  • Giving Great People different abilities can be hard to keep track of but it's a really cool idea, especially with the military ones.
  • I like how some luxury items are clustered in some points on the map and some are opened up by Great Merchants.
  • When you open up all the civics it makes you re-select the two final civics forever and ever. It's a really dumb idea.
  • People talk about the polish but it will tell you "Trajan of Rome is now working toward a Science Victory victory" which is embarrassing.
  • I like that you can still access the ocean without your city being directly on it. One of the highlights of the new city system right there.
  • This is probably the best road system yet but the game encourages you to hit like 30 trade routes late in the game and managing that is such a pointless chore.
  • I miss colonies.

All in all I really like it and I want to give religious victory a try, probably with a much smaller civ. Gotta figure out who to use.

I didn't like how religion worked in Civ V and I like it even less in Civ VI. Primarily because it feels more obtuse in Civ VI but also because you still have to ring your cities with units to stop the zerg rush of foreign religious emissaries and the only preventative measures you have are reactionary. i.e. you can't ask a foreign power to not convert your cities until it's already converted a city. I'm sitting on all of this accrued faith with nothing to spend it on. I can't buy prophets, I can't buy cheaper emissaries to spread my religion more quickly, I can't buy inquisitors and I don't have the protection of having a holy city, which will still exert religious pressure even if it gets converted. I've always hated how another Civ's religious units are free to move through your territory, regardless of what your relationship with that Civ is.

The Tech/Era progression seems kind of wacky too, like I've managed to game my way up to the industrial era while having a lot of medieval and renaissance military units stuck in tech dead ends or waiting for me to catch up in research.

Faith isn't entirely useless if you don't want a religious victory, and not just for religious defence. You can become a theocracy and buy units with faith, which is absolutely absurd if you do something like conquer someone early who was going for a religious victory, pile up the faith and spend it all on a land war.

What's funny (and by "funny" I mean really annoying) is I realized very late that Scythia was going for a religious victory and had just America left to convert, and had giant mobs of apostles and missionaries roaming the continent. I never got my own religion and was happy to use Scythia's Shinto but now I had just one city, Uruk, with another religion (Zoroastrianism, which America adopted as their religion). I had to fight to keep America with their arbitrary religion, which I had nothing to do with and very little access to, to keep the game alive. What is ridiculous is that Scythia abandoned its plans for a religious win as soon as I wiped out the horde hanging around America, despite the fact the rest of the world was absolutely devoted to Shinto. Go figure. Straight up though, if I didn't read this thread I wouldn't even have bothered to figure out how religious victory works and they'd have snatched the whole thing away before I discovered gunpowder.

Anno

So I put 8 hours into a game and now it won't load when I try to start it. It just hangs on loading after Sean Bean talks...

Do you use Windows Defender? It looks like an update to that today messed things up and requires you to add Civ to the exceptions white flag list.

Also, legendary starts are awesome. I think this is just going to be my default start choice going forward.

Holy shit fuck the load times in this game. Reloading an autosave from the turn before shouldn't be taking 3 minutes in any game, but here we are. What a joke.

Going to restart and try the

Slinger
Slinger
Slinger

Starting strategy, maybe working a scout and settler in there as well.
In addition to having a stronger military start, the other reason I do this is because this likely cascades into Archery's eureka, and once I upgrade all my Slingers I then get the eureka for Machinery :3 That then eventually cascades easily into Metal Casing, so you have a nice progression of ranged military options that way.

Totakeke

Religious invasion weeeeeee.

BbwrwZT.jpg

I'm so screwed if he declares war on me.

RedFyn

CoconutTank said:
"Are you using Survey? Or maybe you mass a bunch of scouts and get Terracotta? :p"

No, survey would help but Discipline (+5 vs barbs) just helps more while I figure out the game. Maybe survey will be better but with how common barbarians are and how few (2) scouts I've been building it hasn't seemed worth it.

CoconutTank said:
"And unfortunately the movement system doesn't work in favor of Scouts. Scouts may have 3 movement points, but they can't cheat movement like they used to in Civ 5, and they now have a penalty for crossing rivers. Even if I deploy a scout first, I can consistently get it to learn Alpine and Guerilla, but I've never got a scout to learn Ambush. There isn't enough space to explore after awhile, and my scout needs to peck at enemies to even learn Guerilla usually. I do have to say, the recon promotions are super nice tho.

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_units.html"

Ah ok I understand. You don't think ranger and Alpin compensate for that? I like to use one scout to explore and another to hunt or block barb scouts. They're fairly cheap and can usually escape every time. One thing I've found is that barb scouts won't heal so you can fight them, heal up and hunt them down again. Even for stronger units using them to "Peck" isn't a bad thing. Plus just having a unit to scout out the map never hurts. I'm not saying to get a bunch but I think for something so cheap you get a lot of value if managed well.

In addition to having a stronger military start, the other reason I do this is because this likely cascades into Archery's eureka, and once I upgrade all my Slingers I then get the eureka for Machinery :3 That then eventually cascades easily into Metal Casing, so you have a nice progression of ranged military options that way.
Ooh that sounds nice

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
btw there's nothing wrong fighting invading apostles with your own apostles, it won't give you warmonger

also you can surround your cities with non-religious units and they'll skip you over

Totakeke

btw there's nothing wrong fighting invading apostles with your own apostles, it won't give you warmonger

also you can surround your cities with non-religious units and they'll skip you over

If you have access to the inquisitor it's much cheaper to use that to purge their religion from your lands. You don't really gain by winning apostle battles inside your own territory unless they have a big presence. Even so the inquisitor is much cheaper to accomplish the same goal.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

I just saw this for the first time launching the game today for the first time. Adding the Civ VI folder to the Windows Defender exclusions list resolved it.

Is there a reason why a classical era swordsman doesn't upgrade to a medieval knight in Civ VI? That was the progression in Civ V.

The problem with this is I feel like I'm playing SCII multiplayer as a Terran, trying to block a zergling rush by covering the ramp entrance to my base with supply depots every time I ring a city with my own units to ward off another Civ's unwanted religion. It's been like this since Gods & Kings and it's annoying. So much else in the game has changed, I wish this had too.

At least you can fight emissaries with emissaries, if you have them.

Bubbins

Ok, after spending 30 hrs and completing a couple games- a couple of thoughts. I'll preface by saying that I've played civ since civ2 and am an avid fan of the series.

So, civ vi feels like civ v + civ revolution. Everything from the art style, to the districts, to the formation of armies feels like a "full fledged" (non-console/casual) version of civ rev. I really liked civ rev and I'm glad sid meier imported some of those features into mainline civ. Anyways, here are my immediate take aways:

- Districts. I really like the districts and new city building focus. It makes you strategically develop your cities based on the civ you are playing, the victory you are pursuing, and the map you are playing on. It solves the late game "let's just build everything" approach of previous civs. However, given this new dynamic, Russia and Germany are by default the most powerful civs given their bonus on expansion and districts, respectively. Also, I'm not sure of the value/point of the aerodrome...

-Religion. I think making religion a fully developed mechanic similar to culture and science is overall a good addition. I do agree with some criticism of the apostle zerg rush, however, I think some sort of hermit kingdom or state religion civic could address this well. The use of faith to develop districts is great as well.

-Civics. Great addition. The interplay between civics and tech enriches adds a new layer of depth. I also am a big fan of the eureka moments, which similarly adds more depth.

-Issues. My biggest complaint so far is seemingly small roster of civs and the fact that most civs don't have appealing UU/UA. Like I said, Russia and Germany (and maybe China), feel like they have the greatest advantages compared to other civs. I also miss the lack of a pure science/turtle civ (again something I imagine we will see in the DLC/expansions).

Overall, I think the major new additions/augmentations (districts, religion, civics) are on point and enhance the depth of the game while also being intuitive and not menu driven (other than espionage). And one last thing- the "agendas" of other civs, while a great concept, feels half baked.

Prismo

Neo Member
-Issues. My biggest complaint so far is seemingly small roster of civs and the fact that most civs don't have appealing UU/UA. Like I said, Russia and Germany (and maybe China), feel like they have the greatest advantages compared to other civs. I also miss the lack of a pure science/turtle civ (again something I imagine we will see in the DLC/expansions).

Not saying I disagree about your science/turtle point but I just finished a four city turtle science game as China that I found pretty fun. It was only on king though and there would definitely need to be tweaks to the game to be viable on diety.

Only civ I've played with extensively so far is Egypt, and I going off of that, I'd agree there's some problems with the UAs, lol. Egypt's whole design seems to be pulling them in like 3 different directions. Cleopatra lets them stack gold, the Sphinx lets them go for Faith/Culture, and their UA gives them a really limited hammers boost. 15% on rivers is not a lot, especially when you're likely to eat up most/all of those early on, unless you get a truly staggeringly lucky start.

Maybe I value warmongering too much, but Scythia's 100% production bonus for relevant units seems pretty strong, along with Tomyris' naturally snowballing LUA which applies to any unit :p

Going to restart and try the

Slinger
Slinger
Slinger

Starting strategy, maybe working a scout and settler in there as well.

Get a builder early for the craftsmanship culture boost. 50% to building more slingers is ace.

Other than that, I've been doing this and just steamrolling with mass upgraded archers.

Ric Flair

Banned
Get a builder early for the craftsmanship culture boost. 50% to building more slingers is ace.

Other than that, I've been doing this and just steamrolling with mass upgraded archers.
Archers are OP as fuck once you get the double shot. I've taken down entire armies with two horsemen units and two archers lol

Man, I really want to like these games, but they always completely break down for me when it comes to combat. I just want to spread my civilization throughout the land in peace and prosperity but some jackass always wants to declare war.

RedFyn

Man, I really want to like these games, but they always completely break down for me when it comes to combat. I just want to spread my civilization throughout the land in peace and prosperity but some jackass always wants to declare war.
Building off this, and maybe you know the answer, does disabling domination victory make the ai less likely to attack?

Grief.exe

One of the Civilizations that is friendly to me just declared war on an allied city-state that is within my territory.

Any options other than protectorate war?

Top Bottom