• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Im stuck in arena 6, can go as high as 1900-1950 trophies and as low as 1700. Last game I got paired with a lvl 9 player that had most cards in lvl10 and lvl8 while most of my common cards are 7 and rares 5. I've tried lots of decks but I just can't seem to get to arena 7.

Latest deck I've been using is:
Barbarians lvl 8
Baby dragon lvl 3
Skeleton army lvl 1
Minion horde lvl 7
Valkyrie lvl 5
Musketeer lvl 5
Arrows lvl 7
Spear goblins lvl 7

We have a similar deck. Only three cards are different.

I have:
Barbs 8
Baby drag 2
Minion horde 8
Skeleton Army 2
Arrows 7
Bomb Tower 5
Goblin Hut 5
Giant 5

I sit comfortably at 2100-2300 trophies with this deck. I could probably push to 2400 or even 2500 on a good day.

In my opinion you don't need the valkyrie because you already have the baby dragon and the arrows and the barbs, so its kinda redundant. The same goes for the musketeer. And a goblin hut is the better alternative to spear goblins.

You need a proper tank(giant) to really put the smaller troops to good use offensively and you need buildings in order to be able to defend against hog/freeze and loon/freeze as well as dirty mortar/xbow users.

The deck I use is a pretty flexible deck. Play conservatively. Start off with buildings. Try to always encounter enemy troops on your side of the map(don't be scared, place your buildings in a smart way and fighting close to your tower is no problem), that way you will be able to effectively defend against much higher troops. If the enemy has too many counters to your offensive strategy(inferno is good counter against the giant, arrows are good counter against minion horde, aswell as the fireball and the wizard), they its often smart not to waste elixir on offensive pushes and rather go for the draw.

When I play it smart I rarely lose, somethings it takes me 4 or 5 draws before I get a win, but at least I'm not losing trophies.

Some tips for this deck:
-If someone is pushing with a tank in front and dmg dealers behind, never engage the tank first, always wait until the troops have passed the bridge and then place your barbs(or if there are no area dmg dealers your skeleton army) onto the dmg dealers.
If the tank reaches a defensive tower or a crown tower thats not too bad, shouldn't be too much dmg, but if you attack the tank first the enemy dmg dealers will kill you're troops and its not a good elixir trade for you.

-If you encounter a spawner deck remember that the bomb tower can easily defend a lane on its own. So when the enemy is heavily invested in one lane, let the bomb tower do its job and push down the other lane. Like 95% of my wins against spawner decks are because the enemy focusses too much on one lane that I can cheaply defend with a bomb tower, and that allows me to start big pushes on the other lane.

-If you see that the enemy has a loon or a hog, start placing your goblin hut in front of your towers instead of the back. Make sure that you always have two buildings up when facing these decks.

-Trigger arrows or fireballs with the skeleton army, then start a push with the minion horde.
Place the giant all the way in the back, once he reached the bridge place the army, once the enemy arrowed or fireballed the army its time for the minion horde. If you reach a tower with the minion horde its usually the end of that tower, even whe the giant just barely makes it to the tower and dies.
Always keep in mind for how long the counters to your minon horde (arrows, fireball, wizard) are in rotation. If you know that the enemy has a counter on his hand it doesn't make sense to drop the minion horde. It cost you 5 elixir and the other guy only 3 or 4 to counter. Bad trade.
So always make sure that the enemy doesn't have a counter on his hand.

Gowans

Started today and I love this game.

Joined GAF Elite, floating around 600.

Gona throw them some cash for 2500 gems to buy a 2100 chest.
When do I buy? do I wait till in in the 3rd arena?

Erekiddo

All told, I've spent $6 on this game for coins for epic cards I wanted.

Current Deck:

Spear Goblins - Lvl. 7
Goblin Hut - Lvl. 4
Minion Horde - Lvl. 6
Bomb Tower - Lvl. 4
Goblin Barrel - Lvl. 1
Musketeer - Lvl. 4
Arrows - Lvl. 6
Skeleton Army - Lvl. 1

Working well for me. I'm currently trying to level up musketeer and bomb tower, as those are must haves in any deck I've tried so far. Bomb Tower really saves your ass, in my opinion.

I'm working on getting freeze into my deck but not sure what to take out. I'm leaning toward goblin hut. Chip damage isn't helping me at this point and I'm not using giant or giant pekka to crowd goblins behind.

Karu

Had to put Fireball back in. The amount of Draws I play, while the opponents tower is in the low hundreds, was just too infuriating, heh.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got to Arena 4, and it seems like I get a few Tesla's in every single chest I open. I don't even want to use the thing.

Nerokis

Finally got to Arena 4, and it seems like I get a few Tesla's in every single chest I open. I don't even want to use the thing.

Yeah, at some point the game begins to feel rigged toward giving neglected cards. I decided to embrace that, started telling myself "hey, never know when you'll want to use a particular card", and now upgrade every card I can up to the 1k gold mark. After doing this for awhile, it's started to feel like the game now gives me cards I want more often, but I'm not sure that's true. :p

On another note, I just hit arena 7 for the first time. I'm using lvl 8 goblins, lvl 7 minions, lvl 5 hog, lvl 4 fireball, lvl 7 zap, lvl 4 inferno, lvl 7 cannon, and lvl 4 elixir collector. Such a flexible, fun deck. I switched to it a couple days ago, having never used zap, inferno, or elixir collectors before, and I'm appreciating them a lot now.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Got an Arena 4 Super Magical Chest reward last night, opened it and this is what came out:

RpkMB1j.png

hollomat

Banned
I'm pretty sure the way the common and rare cards work is they will give you cards you have less of. For example if you have 400 barbarians and 200 of every other common, you will never get barbarians until you have close to 400 of every other common. It's why once you hit arena 7 almost every chest for a while has Royal Giants.

Mr_eX

Currently level 6. I can beat level 7s but 8s seem to destroy me every time. I'm tempted to spend some money on this game but I told myself I wouldn't.

In Neogaf Elite

broz0rs

Is there or a time limit to being in a Gaf clan or do you get kicked out for not logging in everyday or something?

that's a good question because some GAF clans prefer you to be more active than others.

I think it will be great if there's a brief requirement detail in the clan description instead of just "believe" lol

Maximus P

Played 20 matches since I started playing yesterday, all won, all three crowns.

feelsgoodman.jpg

Get ready to hit 'the wall'

I seem to win a load of matches in row then I lose a load straight after. I got up to 2100 yesterday then lost 23 matches without reply using the exact same deck.

I know it's been mentioned before but I'd really like a 'mute all players' option. It still annoys me when people spam the laugh when they beat you or say 'well played' after you make an error and they steam roll you.

yatesl

I know it's been mentioned before but I'd really like a 'mute all players' option. It still annoys me when people spam the laugh when they beat you or say 'well played' after you make an error and they steam roll you.

My personal favourite is "Oops." It's the equivalent of Rocket League's "Nice shot!"

hiro_x

Hi guys I got banned from clan neogaf. Learned that you get banned for not donating. But I have donated cards since I joined (probably around 5 cards already) so I dont know why I got banned

Alur

It's probably because the sole purpose of the clan in this game seems to be simply to donate cards, and that means a lot of cards. You get more from donating the 2x commons or 1x rare than you do by keeping them, and you can turn around and request whatever it is you want in return. It helps everyone level up quicker and get gold if everyone is pitching in with a good amount of donations.

Alur

I dunno. I'm just part of one of the guilds, I don't make the decisions, just trying to explain why they are made. I just try to donate any time one is up that I check it, typically finish with about 150-200 donated a week

JoeNut

Elite are pretty much full now but i'm slowly weeding out the inactives, same with us, no donations will be banned.

got my first golden chest from arena 6 earlier, unlocked mortar and mirror :O

hiro_x

It's probably because the sole purpose of the clan in this game seems to be simply to donate cards, and that means a lot of cards. You get more from donating the 2x commons or 1x rare than you do by keeping them, and you can turn around and request whatever it is you want in return. It helps everyone level up quicker and get gold if everyone is pitching in with a good amount of donations.

Donated 5 cards within 2 days of being part of the clan and I get banned? Okay :)

Question on the activity level requirement of a clan?

So it would seem that donations are reset between sunday-monday night. I was planning on sneak purging all 0-donations from GAF Royale, since we are in need to clear the people who got into the game but their love has died out, but that got delayed.

So I was curious if there is a consensus on other clans what is a good basis for activity, if the donations gets wiped once a week? Is weekly cleaning too often or would two weeks of non-participation more suiting? Ofcourse anyone would be welcome back, if they start playing again... What's the code of conduct in other clans? Or just your opinion?

Edit: oh btw, I think we should be cleaning the clan on sunday ;)

Wait, just noticed Breezy is banned? He was so helpful :(

Now... *prepares to get flamed*

Anyone have an up to date X-Bow deck I could use in Arena 4? I started playing about a week after the patch that nerfed it and I just got it, feel like plaiyng around with it. All the reddit posts etc are really old though so not sure I want to follow any of them. Even better if could include a little blurb about how to use it effectively. Much thanks.

JoeNut

So it would seem that donations are reset between sunday-monday night. I was planning on sneak purging all 0-donations from GAF Royale, since we are in need to clear the people who got into the game but their love has died out, but that got delayed.

So I was curious if there is a consensus on other clans what is a good basis for activity, if the donations gets wiped once a week? Is weekly cleaning too often or would two weeks of non-participation more suiting? Ofcourse anyone would be welcome back, if they start playing again... What's the code of conduct in other clans? Or just your opinion?

once a week on a saturday is probably best imo

mrklaw

MrArseFace
there is no hacking going on right? Just got completely demolished (which happens all the time) but it felt like the other side had too many elixir. Even after a pause - so assume full elixir, they threw a mini pekka, barbarians, a balloon, then followed up quickly with a hog rider and dragon. Just seemed way OTT compared to anything I've seen before.

edit: nah, just watched the replay, he just timed it really well

Maximus P

Played a game just now and the other player already had a hog rider at one of my towers as i joined the game. I think the lag screwed me.

Remy

For NeoGAF, I do our purge Sunday morning, and it's weekly activity, not a rolling two weeks.

That way people have six days to log in and donate just one card. Given that we average around 115 donations per active clan member, asking for a minimum of 1 to maintain membership seems incredibly gentle.

For NeoGAF, I do our purge Sunday morning, and it's weekly activity, not a rolling two weeks.

That way people have six days to log in and donate just one card. Given that we average around 115 donations per active clan member, asking for a minimum of 1 to maintain membership seems incredibly gentle.

I average way more then 1(20-30) but the issue I currently struggle with is I am new to the game(2 weeks) and everyone is requesting the same staples I desperately need. Things like spear goblins, muskateer, arrows etc. Every now and then someone requests an epic I am not currently using or am a long way away from an upgrade so I give that up in order to my donations up.

wrighton

Neo Member
I average way more then 1(20-30) but the issue I currently struggle with is I am new to the game(2 weeks) and everyone is requesting the same staples I desperately need. Things like spear goblins, muskateer, arrows etc. Every now and then someone requests an epic I am not currently using or am a long way away from an upgrade so I give that up in order to my donations up.

If you are new I would always suggest donating even if they are the cards you are wanting. You get more benefit in terms of gold/xp from donating than you do hoarding cards because the shop roation will sell them for gold eventually.

Also if you request, you should be getting 10x(common) or 1x(rare) of the card you want anyway.

SeanR1221

Get ready to hit 'the wall'

I seem to win a load of matches in row then I lose a load straight after. I got up to 2100 yesterday then lost 23 matches without reply using the exact same deck.

The taunts can be extremely frustrating but they're my favorite part

Ferny

As far as the 'GAF' clan goes, I have no minimum. Just donate at least 1 card so I can tell you are active somewhat. If you have 0 the entire week, then sorry, but you will be kicked.

Perhaps you just had a crazy week and couldn't log in, that is fine, come back and join us again :) but that right now is the only indicator of activity that we have to go on right now.

MadmanUK

Fallen all the way down from arena 5 to the start of arena 4.

Fuck this game

Yep I can't seem to stay in the 5th arena, I keep dropping out as I keep matching against players that are a tower level above me and therefore have more HP. Also that fireball dude keeps fucking me over, he seems very OP.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So can I join again? Donated 5 cards in 2 days is not bad right?

I don't know why people don't donate more. I've received thousands of XP from donating to my clanmates. If you are F2P, it's the most consistent way to level your towers.

I'm unsure how many Gaf clans are active. But in ours it is requested you donate/request as much as possible. Typically out guys are in the thousands for total donations and get into "donation cooldown". If you haven't seen that yet. Our clan probably isn't your cup of tea.

You hit a huge wall when you get to level 7. Needing 2,000 experience points to level. Most of our team sees this and it's a rush to get donations in.

spyder_ur

I saw a donation cooldown for the first time the other day. Didn't really understand it.

Just saw two cards I hadn't seen yet - that Ice Wizard dude and the rock golem thing. Those are a treat. Ice Wizard is a bitch and the golem takes basically all your forces.

I don't like the idea of the elixir collector for the game, but it seems you have to use it at higher levels.

commish

I saw a donation cooldown for the first time the other day. Didn't really understand it.

Just saw two cards I hadn't seen yet - that Ice Wizard dude and the rock golem thing. Those are a treat. Ice Wizard is a bitch and the golem takes basically all your forces.

I don't like the idea of the elixir collector for the game, but it seems you have to use it at higher levels.

You definitely don't have to use it - I don't use it at all, and I've been in the legendary bracket for a while. In fact, my deck is really designed to punish people who use them, especially those who start the game with them. It's pretty hard to stop a 10 elixir push when you only have 5.

Ice wizard is a legendary card that most folks won't have. I wish I did!

Opened up my Arena 7 Super Magical Chest (random drop) yesterday, received a crazy haul from it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXQOLuPr37o

Been consistently staying in Arena 7 as a level 8, using the following deck:
Hog lvl5
Bomb Tower lvl5
Spear Goblins lvl8
Barbarians lvl8
Minion Horde Lvl8
Ice Wizard lvl1
Zap lvl8
Fireball lvl5

Hovering around 2350-2650.

I used to use freeze+hog, but I feel an imminent nerf coming soon, and the playstyle got stale, so I've tried using other spells to compensate/experiment with.

spyder_ur

You definitely don't have to use it - I don't use it at all, and I've been in the legendary bracket for a while. In fact, my deck is really designed to punish people who use them, especially those who start the game with them. It's pretty hard to stop a 10 elixir push when you only have 5.

Ice wizard is a legendary card that most folks won't have. I wish I did!

What do you use to counter it fast enough that you don't put yourself at an elixir disadvantage? I imagine something like balloon + minion horde or barbs would be effective.

commish

What do you use to counter it fast enough that you don't put yourself at an elixir disadvantage? I imagine something like balloon + minion horde or barbs would be effective.

I don't like slow troops, so I don't use barbs. Balloon and horde would be good - that would be hard to stop for 5 elixir. I personally use some combination of prince/hog/poison. The poison is good bc it's inevitable that they drop horde or goblins or barbs in defense - almost every time.

Top Bottom