• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

doop_

Banned
There is a member in the clan NeoGaf who does not have an account here. He is also harassing me, kindly remove him please.

JoeNut

Opened up my Arena 7 Super Magical Chest (random drop) yesterday, received a crazy haul from it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXQOLuPr37o

Been consistently staying in Arena 7 as a level 8, using the following deck:
Hog lvl5
Bomb Tower lvl5
Spear Goblins lvl8
Barbarians lvl8
Minion Horde Lvl8
Ice Wizard lvl1
Zap lvl8
Fireball lvl5

Hovering around 2350-2650.

I used to use freeze+hog, but I feel an imminent nerf coming soon, and the playstyle got stale, so I've tried using other spells to compensate/experiment with.

how do you use zap? i don't really ever find it useful but think im using it wrong

how do you use zap? i don't really ever find it useful but think im using it wrong

Zap can gain you an immense elixir advantage when used on minion horde: it leaves them with just enough health to be one-shotted and picked off by your towers. You spend 2 elixir to take out their 5 elixir horde: +3 elixir advantage.

Its built-in stun can save you a tower, or secure a tower kill:
-Stun a prince/dark prince's charge
-Stun a pekka, hog or balloon from getting that last hit in before it dies
-Clear out, if well casted, an entire skeleton army
-Clear out goblins/spear goblins/skeletons spawned to distract and maim your prince/dark prince/hog from reaching and hitting tower hard.

Zap also makes x-bows and mortars reacquire new targets when stunned: so when they hit your tower, spawn a fodder troop like giant or barbs, ahead of the targeted tower, zap the mortar/x-bow and they'll refocus on the troops instead.

Zap's low elixir cost also allows you to quickly cycle through your deck: it trades well with any other low elixir troop so it takes some effort to actually spend it ineffectively.

Zap is extremely versatile in the right hands, and with its low elixir cost and quick cast, can finish off towers in overtime.

Chorazin

I cannot fucking get out of Arena 3. I'm stuck in an endless loop of winning one and losing one or drawing. And then there's the streaks of getting WRECKED game after game. I got to Arena 4 ONCE and then never again, never got any new cards other than Minion Horde, and all my cards are just too expensive to level up.

It's super frustrating. :/

_RT_

I cannot fucking get out of Arena 3. I'm stuck in an endless loop of winning one and losing one or drawing. And then there's the streaks of getting WRECKED game after game. I got to Arena 4 ONCE and then never again, never got any new cards other than Minion Horde, and all my cards are just too expensive to level up.

I'm there too. Can't break 1000 trophy mark.

Matush

Zap can gain you an immense elixir advantage when used on minion horde: it leaves them with just enough health to be one-shotted and picked off by your towers. You spend 2 elixir to take out their 5 elixir horde: +3 elixir advantage.

Its built-in stun can save you a tower, or secure a tower kill:
-Stun a prince/dark prince's charge
-Stun a pekka, hog or balloon from getting that last hit in before it dies
-Clear out, if well casted, an entire skeleton army
-Clear out goblins/spear goblins/skeletons spawned to distract and maim your prince/dark prince/hog from reaching and hitting tower hard.

Zap also makes x-bows and mortars reacquire new targets when stunned: so when they hit your tower, spawn a fodder troop like giant or barbs, ahead of the targeted tower, zap the mortar/x-bow and they'll refocus on the troops instead.

Zap's low elixir cost also allows you to quickly cycle through your deck: it trades well with any other low elixir troop so it takes some effort to actually spend it ineffectively.

Zap is extremely versatile in the right hands, and with its low elixir cost and quick cast, can finish off towers in overtime.
Yup, absolutly love zap, Skeleton army is absolutely useless against my tank, minions have no chance of attacking my towers. Love it.

Alur

Finally broke the 1700 trophy mark and got into Arena 6 last night. Ran into my first level 8's.

I'm 1897/2000 towards getting level 8 myself and then I don't know what more progression I can realistically do after that. Just to level a common card from 7 to 8 takes 20 requests, and to level a rare card through requests takes even more time, for example (assuming you don't get more in a chest), and my rares/epics are already even or lagging behind some opponents I face.

Feels like I'm about to hit the wall.

I was stuck in arena 3 for about a week or so and now im stuck in arena 4 lol. I find when this is the case (took me a while to get int arena 4 and stay thing), it was best to start trying to level up my rank and cards I use. I was losing games because their towers/mobs did a bit more damage than me.

For money, start donating more to your clan, turn those gems into gold, not much else you can do besides spend real money on the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I broke out of Arena 3 with a back to basics deck.

Dragon (or whatever value epic you have)
Spear Goblin
Minions
Giant
Musketeer
Arrow
Goblin Hut/Bomb Tower
Valkyrie

I found I was losing more when trying out my latest cards like Barbarians, Barbarian Hut and Balloon.

Following the advice of posters here I leveled up Musketeer who is truly a star. Many of my games were off of a double Musketeer push hiding behind Giant or Dragon.

I broke out of Arena 3 with a back to basics deck.

Dragon (or whatever value epic you have)
Spear Goblin
Minions
Giant
Musketeer
Arrow
Goblin Hut/Bomb Tower
Valkyrie

I found I was losing more when trying out my latest cards like Barbarians, Barbarian Hut and Balloon.

Following the advice of posters here I leveled up Musketeer who is truly a star. Many of my games were off of a double Musketeer push hiding behind Giant or Dragon.

I'm running something similar in Arena 4 with good success.

Baby Dragon
Goblin Barrel
Skeletons
Goblin Spear
Archers
Musketeer
Barbarians
Minion Horde

This deck has been good to me, but I also just kind of had an epiphany on how this game plays on Saturday, and I've won the vast majority of games since. I still run into problems with players who are tactically strong and have more powerful units, but I'm regularly beating players with more powerful units and towers.

Just hit Arena 6.

Spent $20 to try to get an elixir collector before I drop down again....

no collector... Might just stay and wait on the ability to buy it since I know I can't hang in arena 6.

I feel dirty.

Ninja Dom

there is no hacking going on right? Just got completely demolished (which happens all the time) but it felt like the other side had too many elixir. Even after a pause - so assume full elixir, they threw a mini pekka, barbarians, a balloon, then followed up quickly with a hog rider and dragon. Just seemed way OTT compared to anything I've seen before.

edit: nah, just watched the replay, he just timed it really well

You're in my GAF clan, can you post replay pls?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I was stuck for a while until I switched my deck up and had a lot of success.

Knight
Minions
Spear Goblin
Skeleton Army
Goblin Barrel
Arrows
Giant
Prince

I'm now stuck in Arena 4 though and went on a losing streak. Either I've just been playing poorly, or everyone seems to have the perfect counter to me. Lost 3 in a row to people using Rage with Hut decks.

Dazzler

Would you guys recommend always keeping a Rocket/Arrows/Fireball in your deck for that last bit of damage to knock out a tower when required?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Would you guys recommend always keeping a Rocket/Arrows/Fireball in your deck for that last bit of damage to knock out a tower when required?

I only use Arrows to get rid of Minions/Horde, Goblins, and Skeletons. I think I've managed to use it once to knock out a tower in OT because it had so little health. I think you need at least one thing to stop large groups of enemies, not necessarily for taking out towers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Only when I absolutely have to (3 seconds left on the clock, tower at 50 health, killing it would nab me the win).

The way I play, I'm actually happy to sacrifice some of my tower HP to create an elixer advantage. As long as the tower isn't dangerously low, losing 100-200 HP for 3-4 elixer is not a big deal at all. This is why I only use Arrows. Fireball is for people who divide their time between nuking high hp units and towers. Rocket is for tower turtle builds. Arrow is the most proactive of the bunch and is all about creating elixer advantages so you can build a push with your real troops. If someone rockets my tower without hitting anything else, I consider that a win for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Only when I absolutely have to (3 seconds left on the clock, tower at 50 health, killing it would nab me the win).

The way I play, I'm actually happy to sacrifice some of my tower HP to create an elixer advantage. As long as the tower isn't dangerously low, losing 100-200 HP for 3-4 elixer is not a big deal at all. This is why I only use Arrows. Fireball is for people who divide their time between nuking high hp units and towers. Rocket is for tower turtle builds. Arrow is the most proactive of the bunch and is all about creating elixer advantages so you can build a push with your real troops. If someone rockets my tower without hitting anything else, I consider that a win for me.

I like how fireball will hit groups of heavies like barbarians or a few individual targets too close together, and also knocks them back which can be enough time for towers to get another hit in on them. Also useful against hut builds otherwise they tend to get out of control. Goblin barrel is good there too. I do wonder if that is too many of a similar attack though (barrel/arrows/fireball) but I like all three

broz0rs

At Arena 7, I've had plenty of games where players just sit on their base with every defense imaginable and only attack by whittling my towers with goblin barrel and rockets. It's incredibly tough to beat.

DrkSage

We have a similar deck. Only three cards are different.

I have:
Barbs 8
Baby drag 2
Minion horde 8
Skeleton Army 2
Arrows 7
Bomb Tower 5
Goblin Hut 5
Giant 5

I sit comfortably at 2100-2300 trophies with this deck. I could probably push to 2400 or even 2500 on a good day.

In my opinion you don't need the valkyrie because you already have the baby dragon and the arrows and the barbs, so its kinda redundant. The same goes for the musketeer. And a goblin hut is the better alternative to spear goblins.

You need a proper tank(giant) to really put the smaller troops to good use offensively and you need buildings in order to be able to defend against hog/freeze and loon/freeze as well as dirty mortar/xbow users.

The deck I use is a pretty flexible deck. Play conservatively. Start off with buildings. Try to always encounter enemy troops on your side of the map(don't be scared, place your buildings in a smart way and fighting close to your tower is no problem), that way you will be able to effectively defend against much higher troops. If the enemy has too many counters to your offensive strategy(inferno is good counter against the giant, arrows are good counter against minion horde, aswell as the fireball and the wizard), they its often smart not to waste elixir on offensive pushes and rather go for the draw.

When I play it smart I rarely lose, somethings it takes me 4 or 5 draws before I get a win, but at least I'm not losing trophies.

Some tips for this deck:
-If someone is pushing with a tank in front and dmg dealers behind, never engage the tank first, always wait until the troops have passed the bridge and then place your barbs(or if there are no area dmg dealers your skeleton army) onto the dmg dealers.
If the tank reaches a defensive tower or a crown tower thats not too bad, shouldn't be too much dmg, but if you attack the tank first the enemy dmg dealers will kill you're troops and its not a good elixir trade for you.

-If you encounter a spawner deck remember that the bomb tower can easily defend a lane on its own. So when the enemy is heavily invested in one lane, let the bomb tower do its job and push down the other lane. Like 95% of my wins against spawner decks are because the enemy focusses too much on one lane that I can cheaply defend with a bomb tower, and that allows me to start big pushes on the other lane.

-If you see that the enemy has a loon or a hog, start placing your goblin hut in front of your towers instead of the back. Make sure that you always have two buildings up when facing these decks.

-Trigger arrows or fireballs with the skeleton army, then start a push with the minion horde.
Place the giant all the way in the back, once he reached the bridge place the army, once the enemy arrowed or fireballed the army its time for the minion horde. If you reach a tower with the minion horde its usually the end of that tower, even whe the giant just barely makes it to the tower and dies.
Always keep in mind for how long the counters to your minon horde (arrows, fireball, wizard) are in rotation. If you know that the enemy has a counter on his hand it doesn't make sense to drop the minion horde. It cost you 5 elixir and the other guy only 3 or 4 to counter. Bad trade.
So always make sure that the enemy doesn't have a counter on his hand.
Tried it, and still getting the same results :(

Tried different strategies too. Kiting, pulling, only won like 30% of the matches

Took out minions and put hog rider in as a way to deal with bomb tower(or whatever other building). Only played one game but felt like a good choice as he paid off quite well. Bomb tower went up, placed him just next to the river and he jumped over and killed it before it did any real damage to anything.

He also worked as a great distraction in double elixir time by dropping him in a lane to bait out a few counters while I then dropped giant+musktaeer in the other lane. Will hopefully get tmie to test him out some more tonight.

Send a request to GAF clan tag #QYYQCQ, make sure you put you're from GAF

Emphasis on including your GAF username please, we get a lot of requests we decline because they don't include their GAF name! Additionally, GAF boots people weekly who don't contribute any donations or play at all (not super strict, but remain decently active and your good to go).

Not to mention we are the best NeoGAF clan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At Arena 7, I've had plenty of games where players just sit on their base with every defense imaginable and only attack by whittling my towers with goblin barrel and rockets. It's incredibly tough to beat.
Yeah they have to punish ultra Defensive playstyles, simply not fun to play against.

JoeNut

i've hit a serious wall at 1700 - now i've dropped right down to 1500 again, hog and freeze is decent but leaves me too exposed, Pekka builds seem to get squashed pretty quick.

Not sure if i'm missing something here, or i just need to level up my cards a bit more

GodofWine

Yea, I just ran into one of these people in A6, telsa, bomb towers, and a few rockets beat me. I had no answer. If this becomes common, I'll either have to join them, or add xbow or rocket to my deck to counter.

red13th

Yeah I'm not sure I can beat the full defense/rocket/barrel deck with my deck. I rarely face it and when I do I just play for a draw. If I faced it more often I'd just play another deck. Arena 5 here.

_machine

i've hit a serious wall at 1700 - now i've dropped right down to 1500 again, hog and freeze is decent but leaves me too exposed, Pekka builds seem to get squashed pretty quick.

Not sure if i'm missing something here, or i just need to level up my cards a bit more
I think it's pretty common, as for now there's only more Arena with unlocks available, so I think the designers will want to slow progress as not to burn through all the content (and churn out of the game) before they can come up with new stuff. I've been around ~1800 for two weeks now, but slowly feeling that the next Arena is within reach if I can just play well and maybe improve my deck.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Been losing a ton lately so I switched to a full annoying deck and have just been overwhelming enemies early on.

Goblin But
Goblins
Spear Goblins
Minions
Minion Horde
Skeleton Army
Tombstone
Rage

I doubt I'll continue having success with this, but it's working so far.

Remy

We have two spots open in NeoGAF (#2OY9PQ). You must include your GAF handle (and I'd recommend posting in this thread) to be considered.

As a general note, you cannot be accepted into a clan if you're already in another clan.

Aselith

Been losing a ton lately so I switched to a full annoying deck and have just been overwhelming enemies early on.

Goblin But
Goblins
Spear Goblins
Minions
Minion Horde
Skeleton Army
Tombstone
Rage

I doubt I'll continue having success with this, but it's working so far.

Skeleton army was basically the most annoying thing ever for my deck because I use a lot of big single units which skelly army easily stop...very frustrating. But then I got the balloon and I just fly over them now.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
We have two spots open in NeoGAF (#2OY9PQ). You must include your GAF handle (and I'd recommend posting in this thread) to be considered.

As a general note, you cannot be accepted into a clan if you're already in another clan.

EDIT: thanks for the invite!

Any chance I could get a clan invite?

I just started about 2 weeks ago.

Name is
Kor
#2J8PUVJ9

Current Deck is
  • Archer (6)
  • Minions (7)
  • Skeleton Army (1)
  • Mini PEKKA (3)
  • Barbarian Hut (5)
  • Spear Goblins (5)
  • Arrows (5)
  • Rage (2)

It's not a very good deck, and I'm countered often, but I'm trying to stay around Arena 3 in hopes of one of those crossbow turret things.

Lettuce

I only use Arrows to get rid of Minions/Horde, Goblins, and Skeletons. I think I've managed to use it once to knock out a tower in OT because it had so little health. I think you need at least one thing to stop large groups of enemies, not necessarily for taking out towers.

Im of the think of using Valkyrie instead of arrows, she can take out the skeleton hordes with easy and then use still available to damage other unit or towers, with the arrows it just a 1 time use and thats it

Tried it, and still getting the same results :(

Tried different strategies too. Kiting, pulling, only won like 30% of the matches

Then you just have to keep playing and get better with your deck.
It also helps to analyse your matches afterwards. Take a look at your counters, how much elixir did you need to counter the enemies attacks? How much elixir did the enemy spend to counter your attacks?
How can you become more efficient?

Are you pushing on the right lane? Often times you can win matches by quickly switching the lane or start a bluff push one lane and push through on the other(Start of with a giant on one side, all the way n the back, back him up with a skeleton army, after the opponent places his counter troops start your real push with barbs and minion horde on the other lane.

Aselith

Im of the think of using Valkyrie instead of arrows, she can take out the skeleton hordes with easy and then use still available to damage other unit or towers, with the arrows it just a 1 time use and thats it

She's great for that but arrows are a little more cost effective if you're low at the time. Valkyrie leading with MiniPekka behind is really good for taking towers. I like to drop Valk behind my keep and then drop a mini and the spear gobbies behind her when she gets to the bridge and that usually is a really good push with full magic.

You need arrows (or wizard) for Minion hoard, otherwise a well placed one will wreck a Tower easily. For more versatility you can use zap but remember that you don't one shot Minions that way.

Rodelero

I've just made the decision to uninstall the game. Having got to the royal arena, it didn't really feel like there was much to aim for anymore (given that I was never going to stick around for the grind to 3000), and really I was just playing against the same few things over and over. So much of the meta towards the higher end of the game just feels anti-fun. Bomb towers, freeze, and elixir collectors combined with defensive towers... it's just not enjoyable. I suspect some of these things will end up being nerfed in the next couple of weeks, but really, leaving the meta in this state for a month was too much for me.

What really broke me though is not the meta, which I was able to cope with far better than average, and ultimately managed to get to 2250 as a Level 7, but the matchmaking. I am essentially convinced the game's matchmaking system is designed to put you onto winning and losing streaks. This is completely unlike any other competitive ranked based game I've ever played, and it's hard to believe that it's coincidental - more over I've heard the same from everyone I know that plays the game. This seems fundamentally manipulative, it seems designed to push people to spend money out of frustration.

For a while I convinced myself it was a mental thing. I'd lose a couple of games, get frustrated, over think, and lose a lot more, but, it's hard to believe I could one day be comfortable at 2100/2200, playing every game against Level 7s and low Level 8s, but the next day I could be 1850/1900, playing against Level 8s with level 9 commons and legendaries.

Either way - it's a really cool game in a lot of ways - but some of its design seems unnecessarily cynical. I also think it lacks an end game to some extent, once you've tried all the cards... it's hard to keep motivated.

Chorazin

Yeeeeah, I'm done with this shit. I'm getting rolled by Arena 3 by people with level 4 Witches and level 6 Minion Hordes. How the FUCK am I supposed to complete with that without paying huge bucks?

Top Bottom