• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash Royale |OT| Should I keep playing when I’m full on chests?

Alur

I got shrekt earlier, two games in a row by a dude dropping Archers, Minion Horde, and Musketeer way back in his base. Then waiting til I Arrow, dropping Rage and the Musketeers plus whatever else he could get out straight rekt my towers. Didn't realize Rage put out that much damage.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Just went on a 5 game losing streak for seemingly no reason, after having decent success with this deck. Seems like everybody had the perfect counter for me, ugh.

Never heard of this game until I saw it streaming on twitch a hour or two ago. Did training and 2 mp battles...its pretty fun... Are the MP battles real time or are they fake against bots using peoples names like in the mortal kombat game?

I play this a lot less than I would otherwise as I'm always waiting for a chest to open. Fun game for the short bursts it allows you to get anything in.

So recently, I've had a bad streak and lost like 300 trophies. I tried different deck builds, couldn't get into them, and I fell close to 2000 trophies.

So I went back to the basics. Giant, Poison, Minion Horde, Musketeer....they never let me down. Added a little bomb marauder and elixir for production, mini-pekka to take out hogs/princes/giants, and a Princess. Not basic, but replaceable with archers or spear gobbies.

And I'm doing good again. I'm able to advance steadily, and I feel comfortable with the deck knowing I have an answer for most things

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Christ I just cannot break the 1100 mark, I hit 1097, lost, 1098, lost, 1099, lost, 1095 now and I just don't dare...

Well that and I've filled my slots so I'm gonna wait an hour or so to try again...

EDIT: 1125, god I hope this first chest contains a hog rider because I know I'm going right back down...

How do Hut decks work? The spear hut is my most used card but I usually use it as a diversion.
You usually run Spear and Barb hut and claim a Lane, playing defensively. You can play offensively once you reach the 2x elixir Phase to overwhelm the others player. What worked for me was Giant as heavy Support. Just make sure that you can Counter cards/Plays in the beginning, do not overcommit on your elixir.

JoeNut

up to 1500 trophies, had the same deck since 1100 even though i've unlocked wizard, prince, witch, balloon etc. on the way

djp6

You usually run Spear and Barb hut and claim a Lane, playing defensively. You can play offensively once you reach the 2x elixir Phase to overwhelm the others player. What worked for me was Giant as heavy Support. Just make sure that you can Counter cards/Plays in the beginning, do not overcommit on your elixir.
I always lose a tower because I commit way too early to the hut approach in the game

Alur

Is there a rhyme or reason to card shop and how the rotation works? I've been playing a week now, here's the epic cards I've seen:

Giant Skeleton, Baby Dragon, Skeleton Army, Goblin Barrel, Witch, Balloon/Giant Skeleton (epic Sunday), Goblin Barrel again

Supercell! WTB Prince, Freeze, PEKKA, etc. PST.

Is there a rhyme or reason to card shop and how the rotation works? I've been playing a week now, here's the epic cards I've seen:

Giant Skeleton, Baby Dragon, Skeleton Army, Goblin Barrel, Witch, Balloon/Giant Skeleton (epic Sunday), Goblin Barrel again

I'm pretty sure the card shop is just for upgrading cards you already have. New cards have to be obtained through drops.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Done.

full for nooow

Thanks dude. Still on cooldown for donation for 40 minutes, just need 100xp to get to 6. Ergh

Hit 1100, Got a giant chest, very excited. Also scared about dropping below, got over 1100, lost to drop down, won 3 in a row and got to 1190, little breathing room and the knowledge I can definitely compete in this division is nice. Can work to that 1400 now. Deck's feeling good atm.

Prince
Baby Dragon
Skeleton Army
Bomb Tower
Archers
Spear Goblins
Rocket
Arrows

My usual tactic basically revolves around either a split push, trying to catch them out in a way I can reliably defend and send the Prince/Dragon down the other lane to knock down the tower or do a good chunk off it. Managed a 3 tower win against a 1236 player just now.

That's not true. I just bought prince the other day and didn't have the card before I bought it.

Huh. I wonder why I'm getting nothing but a crap ton of Goblin Barrels, Baby Dragons, and Skeleton Armies in my card shop then? They're the only 3 epics I have. No sign of Prince or Witch. Maybe I'm just getting some bad RNG luck on the selection.

Huh. I wonder why I'm getting nothing but a crap ton of Goblin Barrels, Baby Dragons, and Skeleton Armies in my card shop then? They're the only 3 epics I have. No sign of Prince or Witch. Maybe I'm just getting some bad RNG luck on the selection.

I'm sure there's something that determines what cards show up. I'm waiting for Poison but haven't seen it show up since like, a couple weeks.

Maybe it's dependent on use? I dunno.

mercviper

Made it to 2k as f2p with the following deck:

spear goblins
zap
barbarians
poison
musketeer
inferno
knight
lightning

Some changes you can make are fireball instead of poison, cannon/prince instead of inferno/knight and rocket over lightning, but I liked the added range of poison/lightning and inferno is invaluable against pekka/golems. A lot of this deck hinges on getting tower hits with the lightning/poison while taking out 1-2 units to make up for the elixir cost since it'll be hard to push a lane without significant advantage.

I've since spent $10 to get gold to level up cards for another deck, which has brought me up to ~2300 using the following:

valkyrie
elixir collector
goblins
PEKKA
musketeer
wizard
arrows
mini-pekka

And now I'm just waiting til I can accrue enough cards to make it to the 8/5/3 level before moving on. Of my entire collection, only valk, inferno and pekka are at that tier, everything else is at the 7/4/2 tier. My wizard keeps dying to fireballs or not killing lvl 8 minions in 1 hit. I have problems with inferno and if I'm not paying attention, freeze.

Also, is it just me or does everyone have lag on placement? I know there are deploy times but even before deployment and the subsequent timer I always have like a half-second lag before a unit drops onto the field. Meanwhile I run into a lot of people who can deploy hogs at the start of battle before I even see all the cards in my inventory so I can't even react properly.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

There's a Prince in my shop right now. Really tempted to buy it so I can upgrade.

Alur

You should if you have the gold and don't have him. He's useful. I want one to pop up so I can get the last card to upgrade mine to level 2.

Aselith

Prince dropped for me just now. Played my first game with it and dude could not handle it. I took out one of his tower completely unopposed. That unit is a boss!

I reached arena 3, and then a magical chest and super magical chest dropped for me back to back. Is that common or am I just lucky (or unlucky, depending on the card value/timer length ratios on those chests)?

Also, I'd like to join a clan, any gaf ones still have open spots?

vgamer1

Prince dropped for me just now. Played my first game with it and dude could not handle it. I took out one of his tower completely unopposed. That unit is a boss!

Honestly sometimes if I'm pushing I'll let the prince take most of one of the towers while I get goblin/barbarian huts set up, as long as I can hold out until x2 elixir I'm usually good..

MiTYH

Been playing decently in arena 6, but man there are a lot of new units. Just faced that big stone golem that splits when defeated, and also some ice golem thing? What are the strategies for those?

I reached arena 3, and then a magical chest and super magical chest dropped for me back to back. Is that common or am I just lucky (or unlucky, depending on the card value/timer length ratios on those chests)?

The chests drop in a set order.

broz0rs

magical chest is a scheduled drop. super magical is a random drop with a less than 1% drop rate. congrats

mercviper

While they do drop in a set order, Super Magical Chests aren't on that list so getting one of those is a lucky find indeed.

Been playing decently in arena 6, but man there are a lot of new units. Just faced that big stone golem that splits when defeated, and also some ice golem thing? What are the strategies for those?

Golems are rough if you don't have infernos. I deal with them by counterpushing the other lane (golems are 8 elixir) and sending goblins or mini-pekka to kill the golem. Having a building lure helps buy a lot of time too. By ice golem you mean ice wizard? That thing is 3 elixir to play, 700 hp and pretty much always trades up in elixir or forces you to play more than 3 elixir to deal with it.

MiTYH

Golems are rough if you don't have infernos. I deal with them by counterpushing the other lane (golems are 8 elixir) and sending goblins or mini-pekka to kill the golem. Having a building lure helps buy a lot of time too. By ice golem you mean ice wizard? That thing is 3 elixir to play, 700 hp and pretty much always trades up in elixir or forces you to play more than 3 elixir to deal with it.

Probably Ice wizard, haven't encountered it before. It wrecked me pretty bad.

Thanks for the golem tips! Good to know it's 8 elixir, that's a heavy hit

LogicStep

Pretty sure the shop is random. I got freeze from it after a while. Still waiting on a baby dragon.. Maybe I'll get lucky. Got an arena 5 magical chest today. Hope something new is in it. I'd like the goblin barrel too.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Been on a pretty good streak lately, and I really think it's mostly because I've started to become super aggressive with my play. This prevents my opponent from building up elixir for his super combos and allows me to do a bunch of chip damage to the tower. Be aggressive!

JoeNut

Freeze popped up on the shop for 2000 coins so i went for it, now i feel totally OP combining it with Hog rider! cheat mode.

Oh and Elite still looking for members, we're at about 36?

Started yesterday
Hooked yesterday

It boggles my mind how many millions are playing this, supercell are scary good now at the hook. I feel like a rat in a box.

Newb question:

Why are some people able to seemingly spawn enemies significantly quicker than I can? I saw someone drop a giant and two skeleton armies almost immediately, and not long after sending one of those flying dragon things that have a ton of HP and do a ton of damage.

Permanently A

Newb question:

Why are some people able to seemingly spawn enemies significantly quicker than I can? I saw someone drop a giant and two skeleton armies almost immediately, and not long after sending one of those flying dragon things that have a ton of HP and do a ton of damage.

You can't play two of the same unit in a row unless you have Mirror which is an Arena 5 epic so it probably wasn't that. I'm guessing what he actually played was Giant (5 elixir) + Skeletons (1e) and Skeleton Army (4e) which isn't unreasonable in the later stage of the game where elixir refills twice as fast.

yatesl

Finally got to arena 4 and got a hog rider. Is giant skeleton worth 2000g and replacing normal giant as my tank? Here's my team/cards:

sPY1CgN.jpg

c61zmvV.jpg

CyI54jM.png

Newb question:

You can't play two of the same unit in a row unless you have Mirror which is an Arena 5 epic so it probably wasn't that. I'm guessing what he actually played was Giant (5 elixir) + Skeletons (1e) and Skeleton Army (4e) which isn't unreasonable in the later stage of the game where elixir refills twice as fast.

Did he drop the giant behind the castle? It gives the illusion that he spent alot of elixir in a fast time. When I get home Ill requote my opening strat guide, but you can look at the replay to see what happened.

Aselith

Finally got to arena 4 and got a hog rider. Is giant skeleton worth 2000g and replacing normal giant as my tank? Here's my team/cards:

I think so because he does about the same damage and drops a bomb at the end AND he will defend himself.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I think so because he does about the same damage and drops a bomb at the end AND he will defend himself.

Well the best thing about the Giant is that he heads straight for a tower, pulling any enemies in range with him and taking them away from your tower.

Top Bottom